Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Peter_North
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Peter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lowering *searched*

Hey I'm about to lower my car with probably some drop springs ( I cant afford coilovers or even used coilovers at this time, the car is also a DD ) and I was wondering how much it would cost to get them installed? Or is it easy enough for somebody to do it theirself? The ones I'm looking at are 1.7 inch drop, could my stock suspension handle that? Thanks.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Full-Lock
Nissanaholic!

Full-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Full-Lock
lol
just do it yourself. shit is easy
Old 12-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Stop spending all your time collecting Red tic-tacs of Rep and get your hands dirty. DO NOT pay someone to swap in springs for you. Do the research, rent the tools, do it yourself.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
nissan240sxkid
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
nissan240sxkid will become famous soon enoughnissan240sxkid will become famous soon enoughnissan240sxkid will become famous soon enoughnissan240sxkid will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
spring compressor is a must for your firt time...always use protection
Old 12-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #5
Peter_North
Leaky Injector

Peter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymorePeter_North is not welcome here anymore
Ok I guess I'll have to do it myself but I barely know how to do an oil change
Old 12-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
slothonaleash
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
slothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_North View Post
The ones I'm looking at are 1.7 inch drop, could my stock suspension handle that?
no, no, as a matter of fact, it cannot
Old 12-19-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
Peter_North
Leaky Injector

[quote=slothonaleash;1721256][quote=Peter_North;1721224]1.7 inch drop, could my stock suspension handle that?
Quote:

no, no, as a matter of fact, it cannot
How much then? And why can't it handle it?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
slothonaleash
Zilvia Addict

slothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond reputeslothonaleash has a reputation beyond repute
none... dropping your stock shocks can cause them to blow....and they probably will... which will make you handle like complete shit

and you may die in a fiery explosion

if you're thinking about lowering springs on stock shocks, you might as well cut your springs....at least it's free shittiness
Old 12-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
arkive43
Zilvia Addict

arkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud of
disreguard that, most drop springs will yeild a 1.5 too 2 inch drop very subtle.the shock thing is true but yea lol not that extreme. as far as the work goes it is very simple....im sure there is a write up online....
Old 12-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Stock shocks are prolly blown or will blow with that drop. Buy some new shocks that can handle a drop.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #11
Peter_North
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkive43 View Post
disreguard that, most drop springs will yeild a 1.5 too 2 inch drop very subtle. as far as the work goes it is very simple....im sure there is a write up online....
Thanks

Old 12-19-2007, 06:18 PM   #12
Peter_North
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Stock shocks are prolly blown or will blow with that drop. Buy some new shocks that can handle a drop.
Would buying coilovers just be cheaper?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #13
eastcoastS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
eastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eastcoastS14
save your money, do it right

/thread
Old 12-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #14
slothonaleash
Zilvia Addict

yes....don't half ass your suspension...it's basically what keeps your car on the road

save up for a spring/shock combination or coilovers
Old 12-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
Peter_North
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothonaleash View Post
yes....don't half ass your suspension...it's basically what keeps your car on the road

save up for a spring/shock combination or coilovers
Damn I guess thats what im going to do then, thanks for the help all.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #16
frosty_the_iceman

frosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nice
Definitely do it yourself. I'd never worked on a car in my life before I got my S13. Do yourself a favor and invest in tools, a jack and stands. The first time you need to fix something and you don't have to go to a mechanic, they'll pay for themselves.

You'll want a FSM:
http://www.240edge.com/manuals/usdm-cars.html
Which tells you all kinds of useful info.

For your struts & springs install, go to:
http://importnut.net/240springstrut.htm
He's got a neat writeup.

I'd recommend going with Eibach springs (pro-line or sport-line, it's up to you). You can get a great deal on KYB AGX shocks, which are highly decent, or get the GR-2's if you really can't spring an extra $100. GR-2's are a stock replacement, but they will hold up under the increased stress of lowering springs a lot better than your OEM's.

I'd look on (dare I say it) eBay for a great deal on brand new springs (~$200) and struts(~$250-350). Don't EVER buy used suspension. I'm sure there's exceptions, but that's my experience and opinion.

Hopefully that helped you out a bit...

Last edited by frosty_the_iceman; 12-19-2007 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-19-2007, 06:32 PM   #17
wonkuuzenki
Zilvia Junkie

wonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-knownwonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-knownwonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-knownwonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-knownwonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-known
Edited by me for not helping the zilvia community.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #18
SW20Racer
Nissanaholic!

SW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfection
it will be cheaper to just buy coilovers. think about it, you buy lowering springs, blow your shocks, buy new shocks, they wear out. so on and so forth. by the time you wasted your time on this bullshit you couldve afforded a set of decent NEW coilovers. i wouldnt buy used coilovers if they were the last set on earth i dont trust that shit. (not saying people who buy used are not happy with what they have or that you cant have them rebuilt et c., its just a personal preference)
Old 12-19-2007, 07:01 PM   #19
txrxs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
txrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfectiontxrxs is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Step one: Jack the rear of the car up by the differential

Step two: Put a jackstand under tow hook to support the car(remove jack from differential)

Step three: Remove passenger side rear wheel.

Step four: Slide under car and push up on the subframe(this will be very hard so you must get under the car, make sure your chest is about even with the brake rotor.) Hold this up, now is where you need a friends help.

Step five: Have your friend kick the jackstand out from the tow hook.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #20
imnotmatt1189
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
imnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to beholdimnotmatt1189 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
^ AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

--edit

it's really easy to install springs/shocks. don't pay for them to get installed. i payed to get them installed on my accord and then a month later, i helped my friend out in installing springs on his integra and realized that i wasted $160 getting them professionally installed. save your money.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:41 PM   #21
posdriftin
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
posdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
man comment 19 had me rolling... lowering springs without shocks are gonna be useless, as said earlier, save and get some megans or something (just no ebay stuff)...
Old 12-19-2007, 09:40 PM   #22
GoodOl'S13
Zilvia Addict

GoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfectionGoodOl'S13 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GoodOl'S13
Quote:
Originally Posted by txrxs View Post

Step two: Put a jackstand under tow hook to support the car(remove jack from differential)

Step four: Slide under car and push up on the subframe(this will be very hard so you must get under the car, make sure your chest is about even with the brake rotor.) Hold this up, now is where you need a friends help.

Zilvia at its BEST

Secret Society
Old 12-19-2007, 09:47 PM   #23
BBSilvia
Zilvia Addict

BBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeBBSilvia has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BBSilvia
Quote:

hahahahahaha
Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 PM   #24
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
The guy asked an honest question, he is not a fucking mechanic.
have some fucking respect!!!
If you are not going to help dont bash keep you mouth shut and stay off the thread.
by the way read the sticky before going into someones thread and saying they fail or just bashing.
you will be pinked or banned if you are reported and keep doing it!
Mods have said it multiple times if you have nothing usefull to say , just stay out and dont fill the thread up with useless garbage, YOU DONT LOOK COOL BY BASHING SOMEONE ONLINE!
just shows how much of a pussy nerd you are!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:01 PM   #25
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_North View Post
Hey I'm about to lower my car with probably some drop springs ( I cant afford coilovers or even used coilovers at this time, the car is also a DD ) and I was wondering how much it would cost to get them installed? Or is it easy enough for somebody to do it theirself? The ones I'm looking at are 1.7 inch drop, could my stock suspension handle that? Thanks.
By the way, what car and year do you have.
I am selling my shocks and springs(combo)
.and if you look here on zilvia in the for sale thread you may be able to get a good deal!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:32 PM   #26
5t341tH
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute5t341tH has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 5t341tH
go rent a spring compressor at autozone for 41 dollar deposit.
compress ur old springs with compressor
disassemble the shock
take new spring and compress
put it shock tophat and tighten
done
smile

lexus baby
Old 12-19-2007, 10:36 PM   #27
Chernobyl
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
Chernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
My personal opinion is to get the springs and pay a shop to install. Should be about $100 of work I think.

If you really don't know your way around the car yet, pay a pro to do it and save yourself the headache.

This coming from someone who's never taken their car to a shop. Ever. But then again, I like to wrench on my stuff, and you might not.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:28 PM   #28
Lurpin
Leaky Injector

Lurpin is on a distinguished road
I think you should save up for coilovers. Start hanging out at your local shop, and make friends with the mechanics. Maybe you can learn some stuff from them. It's way easier to learn stuff if your friends are teaching you.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:25 AM   #29
Peter_North
Leaky Injector

Quote:

Wow I bet you're cool in real life
Old 12-20-2007, 01:28 AM   #30
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
Quote:

You're the reason why zilvia is going down the shitter.
Congrats
Closed Thread