Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 AM   #1
240sxdrifterS14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Megan Racing Coilovers

I was starting to think about getting the megan race coilover kit for my s14, what does everyone think about there quality, and is it a huge major improvement over stock?

1-18-08
Thank you all so much, this is exactly what I wanting to hear, I still currently have my 12 year old struts and all and I dont think they're gonna last much longer. So I'm just getting opinions from others that have more experience. I want to get on the track as far a drifting but dont know exactly when that will happen. Right now my car is a dd that puts up with pretty high levels of abuse from a newb who is trying to force himself how to learn how to drift. So my buget is pretty much 1500 and below so just in your opinions what setup do you think would be best? Thanks again for all the help.

Also to those of you who keep leaving me bad rep I'm sorry I just am trying to learn.

Last edited by 240sxdrifterS14; 01-18-2008 at 10:52 PM..
240sxdrifterS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
this has been covered tons of times.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
240sxdrifterS14
Leaky Injector

240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore240sxdrifterS14 is not welcome here anymore
Sorry, I figured, it was just taking forever to find a post on it.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
hijack3d
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
hijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond reputehijack3d has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showpost.php...5&postcount=34

Don't worry, it's legit: Review (Thanks Mike)
hijack3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
MR coilovers suck.

I got a set for free so I could get my car to the track.

I hated them at the track and on the way there.

I'm ashamed to even admit that I touched a car with them.

I tried and spent time with different setup's. But to no avail, they still suck.

They are under valved and over sprung.

Shits weak like a 3rd nation.

But what do most poeple care.

Most of the cheapasses would rather pay more attention to price then pay attention to performance.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
ThePenIsMightier

ThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymore
ballers don't drive 240s.

shut up posers
ThePenIsMightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
Bobafreak
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (17)
Bobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfectionBobafreak is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post

shut up posers
and you are..............
Old 01-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #8
EM_S13
Leaky Injector

EM_S13 is making a name for him/her selfEM_S13 is making a name for him/her selfEM_S13 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to EM_S13
I'd really consider looking into other coilover setups other then the Megans. They don't hold up like they should. I've been on them in my S13 and after a few height adjustments the threads on the sleeve were hammered. They make Ksports and D2's look good
Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
DOOK
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
DOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I think the reason they are so much cheaper than everything else is because they are so good, no really.

DOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:

shut up posers
Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
skyline slider

skyline slider is a jewel in the roughskyline slider is a jewel in the roughskyline slider is a jewel in the roughskyline slider is a jewel in the roughskyline slider is a jewel in the roughskyline slider is a jewel in the roughskyline slider is a jewel in the rough
I had MR coilovers on my skyline... and they sucked ass... still had some body roll while drifting... and they didnt go as stiff as I would of liked... if you want a cheap ass coilover and dont care... go for it... if your actually going to track the car... then get something else
Old 01-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #12
NiGHTS

NiGHTS is an unknown quantity at this point
its all in personal preferance.

i drove a car with ziel , stance , and the ocasional spring/shock combo. to tell you the truth its all in personal preferance. find someone who has them in your area and go for a ride.

i currenlty have the megan track series ... to tell you the truth i would take these over half the other coilovers out there.

but to each there own. dont take my word for it try them out and see.
NiGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
240truk
Zilvia Member

240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about
I have them on my s13 and they're ok.. Only got them because someone traded me for my kyb's and tein springs. over stock, big improvement but you might as well just spend a little more for something way better like powered by max, stance, kts. Dont half step it, just get the right shit the first time and you will be happier
Old 01-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #14
SimpleSexy180
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
SimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:

shut up posers
BUUUAHHA. FUCKIN FUNNIEST SHIT EVER. AND THE TRUTH.
SimpleSexy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #15
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
I like mine, but I can't really tell the ride difference between any coilover, maybe they suck on the track? I don't know, I don't really care, I just want my car to be low.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #16
Rusker
Zilvia Junkie

Rusker is on a distinguished road
I've heard descent things about them. Most complaints come from people who track/drift their car but honestly 99% of people who claim to be building a drift/track car never actually see any track time at all. I think they are fine as a DD coilover setup.

If you are going to seriously look into racing the car in some fashion you might want to take a look at a few other setups.

You get what you pay for but from what I've read you get your moneys worth with the MR's.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:33 PM   #17
super240sx7185
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (83)
super240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond reputesuper240sx7185 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 83 reviews
I've had them on my car since last September no problems so far, and I've adjusted height several times. Then again Im not a drift/autocross junkie so they don't get too much abuse minus the sorry ass roads around here.
super240sx7185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #18
EM_S13
Leaky Injector

EM_S13 is making a name for him/her selfEM_S13 is making a name for him/her selfEM_S13 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to EM_S13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240truk View Post
I have them on my s13 and they're ok.. Only got them because someone traded me for my kyb's and tein springs. over stock, big improvement but you might as well just spend a little more for something way better like powered by max, stance, kts. Dont half step it, just get the right shit the first time and you will be happier

Yeah what he said...

What up Julian!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #19
240truk
Zilvia Member

240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about240truk has a spectacular aura about
^^wadup mang??? thanks for the fender roller!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #20
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
I just copied this from what i posted in the Godspeed coilover thread because i dont want to type it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiDyNomiTe View Post
"You get what you pay for"

Buy coilovers that are proven and tested, save up and do it right the first time.

Don't cheap out on suspension, bad coils will make your car not so fun, hitting your head on the roof is also painful.

I'm not so sure "you get what you pay for" is entirely correct here. From my research, everything that comes out of China OR Japan (yes that is right JAPAN) is crap. With the exception of the camber plates, most Chinese or Japanese coilovers are crap. When i say coilovers i mean shocks. Even the supposedly "high end" stuff like Cusco, HKS, and EVEN Zeal cant come close to some American or European brands.

So paying $2500 for coilovers doesnt exactly get you much more than the $1000 coilovers give you. There is a reason Motons, Ohlins, Penskes, Sachs etc are anywhere from $5000 to $20,000.

Why do you think the Mine's suspension for the new GTR is $10,000? Because Mine's knows something about suspension and had Sachs make their shocks. The GTR has stock Bilsteins, which is also a great shock company. They could have called up Zeal to design some $4000 coilovers, but going from Bilstein to Zeal is a horrible horrible downgrade.

There have been thread after thread about what suspension/coilover is good. Last i checked a very very small percentage of 240 owners need REAL shocks, most just want to slam the shit out of their cars. Of course the more expensive coilovers will be a little bit better, but why pay another $1000 for something you probably wont even notice. For $1000 you can get some Konis that will blow away your $2000 JIC crap coilovers.

So "you get what you pay for" doesnt apply too well, people on zilvia just need to learn a thing or two about shocks and be smart with their money. If you want to just slam your car, get some chinese coilovers, if you want your car to perform get Konis, if you can afford it get some Motons, Penskes, etc.

For those of you who think im full of shit read this:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

I've posted it along with many others before, yet no one seems to read it.
kouki_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:00 AM   #21
Jgrand03
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Jgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to beholdJgrand03 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
def dont go with megans i bought them cause i was impatient and soon regreted it way to bouncy even when set half way stiff i just sold them now i think im gonna go with some kw variants or something of that nature depends how much cash i can come up with advice save your money for a quality product
Jgrand03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #22
Cash
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Cash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond reputeCash has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Cash
Personal preference. Some will tell you they suck, some will tell you they're awesome. Some will tell you they're the worst thing ever if you actually track your car. I know a local D1GP driver that used MR coilovers with swift springs last season.
Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #23
Grenade180sx
Nissanaholic!

Grenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Grenade180sx
if you looking for coilovers... get powered by max. great stuff. and only 200 more then the "track Megans"
Grenade180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #24
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade180sx View Post
if you looking for coilovers... get powered by max. great stuff. and only 200 more then the "track Megans"
yeah power by max are great from what i hear. probably my next set up.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:53 AM   #25
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Theyre okay, I had it in my old S14. I didnt track the car, just slammed, DD, went up the mountains once in a while. Held up okay.

My gripe about it: Rubber boot is shiet (got torn in less than a year), got noisy, and after about a year or so started feeling soft.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #26
Grenade180sx
Nissanaholic!

Grenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Grenade180sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Theyre okay, I had it in my old S14. I didnt track the car, just slammed, DD, went up the mountains once in a while. Held up okay.

My gripe about it: Rubber boot is shiet (got torn in less than a year), got noisy, and after about a year or so started feeling soft.

the megans or pbm?
Grenade180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #27
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
^^^^ MRs.......just wasnt too impressed with the build quality. Then again I got them at cost for $750.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #28
sblack13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
sblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
had the megan's on my s14, did'nt feel so great as the hks hipermax's on my s13. Realized the MR's sucked balls. Sold the MR'S.
sblack13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #29
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
Koopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Koopa Troopa
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouki_s14 View Post
I'm not so sure "you get what you pay for" is entirely correct here. From my research, everything that comes out of China OR Japan (yes that is right JAPAN) is crap. With the exception of the camber plates, most Chinese or Japanese coilovers are crap. When i say coilovers i mean shocks. Even the supposedly "high end" stuff like Cusco, HKS, and EVEN Zeal cant come close to some American or European brands.

So paying $2500 for coilovers doesnt exactly get you much more than the $1000 coilovers give you. There is a reason Motons, Ohlins, Penskes, Sachs etc are anywhere from $5000 to $20,000.
It's called capitalism and there are even Ohlins dampers that suck. The reason those kits you listed cost so much is because they're not built until your order goes through which means the shit is built for your car and your car only.

Quote:
Why do you think the Mine's suspension for the new GTR is $10,000? Because Mine's knows something about suspension and had Sachs make their shocks. The GTR has stock Bilsteins, which is also a great shock company. They could have called up Zeal to design some $4000 coilovers, but going from Bilstein to Zeal is a horrible horrible downgrade.
It cost 10k because it's the only shit out right now and it's for a brand new car that has such hype it's selling for over 100k at used car dealerships and YJA. Once again capitalism plays a role in this. Supply and demand.

Quote:
There have been thread after thread about what suspension/coilover is good. Last i checked a very very small percentage of 240 owners need REAL shocks, most just want to slam the shit out of their cars. Of course the more expensive coilovers will be a little bit better, but why pay another $1000 for something you probably wont even notice. For $1000 you can get some Konis that will blow away your $2000 JIC crap coilovers.
You sound like you're filled with biased hatred and misinformation.

Quote:
So "you get what you pay for" doesnt apply too well, people on zilvia just need to learn a thing or two about shocks and be smart with their money. If you want to just slam your car, get some chinese coilovers, if you want your car to perform get Konis, if you can afford it get some Motons, Penskes, etc.

For those of you who think im full of shit read this:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

I've posted it along with many others before, yet no one seems to read it.
Actually you get what you paid for applies very well.

Buy my Stillway shifter!

Koopa Troopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #30
ThePenIsMightier

ThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymoreThePenIsMightier is not welcome here anymore
i'm thinking the parade should end at your house

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
acting cool to fit in. it's alright everyone here does it. you act like you've never bought something because it was cheaper.

like you've never bought anything from a fucking wal-mart.

not that i'm questioning how rich you are, after all we all do drive 240sx's. that screams nothing other than baller, i assure you.

poser.
ThePenIsMightier is offline   Reply With Quote