Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-07-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
SuicidnS13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (27)
SuicidnS13 is on the path to ruinSuicidnS13 is on the path to ruinSuicidnS13 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Fderal 595rs vs. falken Azenis rt615's?

So guys which do you prefer and why? They are both about the same price point. Im going to be ordering tires soon and opinions and feedback would be awesome. The car is only driven maybe 1-2x per week so tread life is not a major concern(But which one wears better?). But for overall street/track grip which is the best?
SuicidnS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
Wait for the Toyo R1-R, Kumho XS, and RE-11 (i think thats what it's called).

Also search cuz there's a thread on this. I would bet on the RT's.

And the RT's look pretty.
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
D1GP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
D1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the roughD1GP is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my vote goes towards the rt-615s.
D1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
LongGrain
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
LongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfectionLongGrain is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
azenis by a long shot.
LongGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
powersteeringless180sx
Zilvia Addict

powersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfectionpowersteeringless180sx is close to perfection
i was gonna start a thread asking this too cuz i couldn't find any opinions on the 595rs. but everyone says not run 595ss in the front which makes weary on the getting the rs. i've got ss's on the back though and i like them. i'm leaning towards the rt615's cuz the price isn't too much than the 595rs. i wonder which one's better for daily though.
powersteeringless180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Grenade180sx
Nissanaholic!

Grenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfectionGrenade180sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Grenade180sx
personal pref.

but if your worried about it look at the tread wear on both.

the softer the tirer the faster it will wear but the stickier it is
Grenade180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
ripnbst
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
ripnbst is making a name for him/her selfripnbst is making a name for him/her selfripnbst is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade180sx View Post
personal pref.

but if your worried about it look at the tread wear on both.

the softer the tirer the faster it will wear but the stickier it is
In most cases.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
DOOK
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
DOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the RT615s are a more performance oriented autoX style tire, the 595s are drift inspired... the RTs will have a softer tread compound and be less resistant to wear, but will general grip better with their thicker tread blocks...

DOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #9
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
he said 595 RS not SS you guys... just making sure everyone noticed.

I thought the RS were gonna be pretty badass... I havent used them I have the Hankook RS-2

HREs on a S13 - check, 6262 - check, Girlfriend.... - nope
smelly240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
slownslurious
Zilvia Junkie

slownslurious has made poor choicesslownslurious has made poor choicesslownslurious has made poor choicesslownslurious has made poor choicesslownslurious has made poor choicesslownslurious has made poor choices
not so with tires in that category, the manufacturers cannot rate a tire with a higher (longer lasting) wear number than they actually test and verify, but they are free to use a lower wear number if they choose. Most enthusiasts considering a maximum performance tire use grip/traction as their sole selection criteria, and a lower wear number gives the impression of higher grip. Case in point, the Toyo RA-1 bore a wear number of 40 when it came out years ago, and once it became established as a benchmark tire in dry grip, it was moved up to the wear number it tested at, 100, which was also a political move because certain sanctioning bodies had formed street tire classes requiring wear ratings of 100 or higher.

given the reputation of the two manufacturers mentioned alone, I would go with the falkens. I have personally ran both Azenis 215's and the newer 615's and they are both wonderful tires. the 615's enjoy a great deal more real world driveability than other tires with comparable grip due to their decent wet performance (still gonna hydroplane off the road if you push too hard with standing water on the road though).

The 615 is a very popular tire with track day enthusiasts and autocrossers, whereas I've seen very few running the federal tire...

In autocross hundreds of a second can count, so those guys will usually run whatever tire is the fastest in their class.

So whatever thats worth.
slownslurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #11
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

smelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfectionsmelly240 is close to perfection
I think that Logan has used both - maybe he can chime in

Old 02-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #12
murda-c
Post Whore!

murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
I'd pic the 615s as well

I can't wait for the potenza re-11s to come out.

especially since i got a job at firestone
Old 02-07-2008, 06:22 PM   #13
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Is this a serious question!!!??? HMMMMMMMM, lame federals or proven azenis? Jeez I just can't decide! I have azenis on my car and I love them. For the price you simply can't beat them.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #14
Full-Lock
Nissanaholic!

Full-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Full-Lock
just to let you know
rt615s are heavy as fuck
Old 02-07-2008, 06:35 PM   #15
smelly240
Nissanaholic!

and they get greasy when they get hot. They're an autocross monster tho.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #16
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
First off, who of the above have ACTUALLY USED THE 595 RS?

Most of the people on this board are 17 year olds who do nothing other than pick products by NAME.

I have personally used the rs myself, and love them. The RS is comparable in price to the azenis, but offer a better size selection(which is why i went with the RS). Also, at the last gymkana event i was in, i spoke with a fellow s14 owner who had JUST switched from azenis to the RS. They said grip feels the same, but they don't feel like butter when hot.

I'm not nocking the azenis AT ALL, nor am i saying the RS is even a better tire. I AM SAYING, most, if not all the above poster prob. have never even seen a 595 RS in real life, yet alone driven on one. Look around and do your own research. Not many people have tried the RS yet simply because of name, however, i haven't heard a SINGLE BAD REVIEW from those who HAVE used them.
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #17
lucky7
Post Whore!

lucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfectionlucky7 is close to perfection
i was being cheap last season, and made a big mistake. i have 2 595's on the front of my car, and RE070's on the back. dont worry, i am now fully aware that im a dumbass..

+1 for Falken.

EDIT: i forgot. there are 2 different 595's.. i have the shittier ones.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #18
slideways2004
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (6)
slideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enoughslideways2004 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slideways2004
just pick one and try it. if you are going to use these on track, it's not like they are going to last long. try both, see which one you like better. if for some reason, your tires due last pretty long, weigh in these factors

rt-615's- pretty heavy(almost as heavy as some of the high dollar run flats)
proven to besticky, but others have stated they get greasy
they're good damn near til the steel belts show
look badass

federal rs- i'm sure its lighter than falken
offer more sizes
it maybe a little cheaper
according to 1 member, they don't get as greasy as falken
not as popular(tires get popular for a reason)

p.s. the federal ss595 are pretty horrible for grip driving.
slideways2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #19
SureShot21

SureShot21 is making a name for him/her selfSureShot21 is making a name for him/her self
I'm currently running 255.40.17 RS 595s on the front of my car, and ran 275.40.17 RT 615s on the same car over a year ago. Unfortunately, the 255s are the widest the 17" RS goes to, so take that into account. I'd still say that the RTs would have the highest ultimate grip even if you were comparing the two tires in the same sizes. I've run both tires on 9's and 10's, the RTs still felt like they had a stiffer sidewall despite a higher aspect ratio and more of a bulged fitment on the wheels I was running. Even on cold mornings, right out of my driveway I could rail corners without a problem with the RTs. With the Federals, not as much. The Federals are still a good tire, just not quite as soft as the Falkens compound-wise (and they don't have super wide sizes). They seem to be lasting longer though. The Falkens also got noticeably greasy during prolonged canyon runs, even on cool nights. I wouldn't think they would take the heat of a non-autocross track event so well, but then again my car is 3400+ lbs. I'd use the RTs for autox and RS for HPDEs or TTs. Just my take on the two. YMMV.
SureShot21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #20
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Did you seriously just compare a 225 width to a 275 width in different tires?!

Wow.
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #21
midnightouge
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
midnightouge is close to perfectionmidnightouge is close to perfectionmidnightouge is close to perfectionmidnightouge is close to perfectionmidnightouge is close to perfectionmidnightouge is close to perfectionmidnightouge is close to perfectionmidnightouge is close to perfectionmidnightouge is close to perfectionmidnightouge is close to perfectionmidnightouge is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
i have azenis in the rear and they grip too much, makes my car (welded diff) hop violently but they also wear out with the quickness

midnightouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #22
frosty_the_iceman

frosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nice
595-rs

To be completely honest, I haven't used either. I'll be looking into high-grip tires for Street Tire auto-x classing shortly, and so I've asked myself a few of the same questions. I know a lot of local auto-X drivers use the RT-615's, even in the rain.

I found this article on the interweb, it reviews the 595-RS among others. Interesting to see the Federal rated so highly for dry cornering, braking, & hot lap.

Depending on what tire sizes you are looking for, eGay often has good deals on RT-615's.

-JD.

Last edited by frosty_the_iceman; 02-07-2008 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: sp
frosty_the_iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #23
blackflag_Rms13
Zilvia FREAK!

blackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really niceblackflag_Rms13 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta240 View Post

Wow.
I are good at readings?
blackflag_Rms13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #24
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
rt-615's are my vote. those tires are just badass all around. grip on them is awesome on a track.

EDIT: THE MOST EVIL POST EVER.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #25
yudalicious
Zilvia Addict

yudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond reputeyudalicious has a reputation beyond repute
Not a direct comparison, but 225 RT615s on a full weigh s14 lasted all but the last few minutes of a 20 min session before they got noticeably greasy. I'd like to think I'm a relatively smooth driver. Ambient temp was about low 80s iirc.
yudalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #26
slownslurious
Zilvia Junkie

slownslurious has made poor choicesslownslurious has made poor choicesslownslurious has made poor choicesslownslurious has made poor choicesslownslurious has made poor choicesslownslurious has made poor choices
their "greasiness" will depend on track conditions, car weight/tire size, driving style, and temperate. I've used them extensively on the street and only experienced what I would term greasiness on the hottest summer days, while pushing the tires hard. Of course on the track, anything other than a hardass all season tire or a harder compound racing slick or track oriented tire is going to get loose when it exceeds its optimum temperature. unfortunately the hardass all season tire is going to have less grip and eventually overheat, chunk, and fall apart, and the harder compound track tires and going to have lower initial bite and other sacrifices that would not be acceptable in autocross or on the street. The RT-615 is a great autocross tire and a good summer tire. It is not a great all season tire. It is not a great road race tire.
It does what it was designed to do, and does so better than most tires in its class, and than any tire close to its price range, at least from those I've seen/driven/humped madly.

What exactly are you purchasing these tires for? poser value? hard parking? faster harder beer runs? smuggling cigarettes into india? smuggling indians out of north carolina? driftorzoring? total world domination?
slownslurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #27
Kouki
Zilvia Addict

Kouki has much to be proud ofKouki has much to be proud ofKouki has much to be proud ofKouki has much to be proud ofKouki has much to be proud ofKouki has much to be proud ofKouki has much to be proud ofKouki has much to be proud ofKouki has much to be proud ofKouki has much to be proud ofKouki has much to be proud of
I have rt615s on my s13. I'm running 235/40/17 all around. I bought them last spring. They are great. I haven't ran the generals so I can't compare the two but I can tell my experience with the falkens. I did alot of auto-x with my car. The tires hook hard when cool, but on hot days and longer courses(ie +60 seconds) They will start to fade and get greasy near the end and you can feel the car start to get sloppy. As long as I had at least 10 minutes between runs I was fine, But for general street use, some twisty back roads fun, they are great. Treadware isn't bad, but alignment has alot to do with treadware also. Bad alignment on a tire with a treadware of 320 will wear out faster than good alignment on a treadware of 80. Overall they are an awesome tire with lots of grip. They're the only thing I'll run at the auto-x as long as I'm staying with street tires. Can't beat them for the price.
Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #28
SureShot21

SureShot21 is making a name for him/her selfSureShot21 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta240 View Post

Wow.
Read again, cool guy. I also noted a caveat in my post due to the size differential of what's available, but I guess you missed that, too.
SureShot21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #29
low and slow
Zilvia FREAK!

low and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfectionlow and slow is close to perfection
Where have you found the RS' at? The RT's are pretty easy to come by, but I haven't seen much for the Federals.
low and slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:23 PM   #30
rb25_s13*CHUKI
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
rb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfectionrb25_s13*CHUKI is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rb25_s13*CHUKI
rt-615's hands down.. Im running them now and trust me i can redline my sr and dump the clutch and they wont spin like me federal's did... I get more of a wheel hopping gonna break my rear end kinda thing... With the federals i could spin those bitches all day... And the rt's are are sexy lookin