Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-02-2003, 01:43 AM   #31
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
DoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DoriftoSlut
Jeff- besides being a little disappointed at this board's more respected members assuming drifters don't know what they are talking about, or that it can't apply to other forms of motorsports or blah blah blah, I am in agreement with you on this dude's set up. He wants a budget job, and was thinking along the lines of the very inefficient street WRX and FC3S TMIC's. (WRC WRX's have a T/FMIC, where it is located in the upper area of the front, behind the upper grille and above the angled radiator. Total clearance of all front mounted items of big rocks, stumps, walls, etc...). I guess i was just trying to point out that one of these Koguchi-style TMIC projects would actually be one of the most efficient setups if you had the patience and resources to fab what you need to (ducting is not THAT hard and hoods aren't horribly expensive if you need a vented one).

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
DoriftoSlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2003, 02:09 AM   #32
Kookaburraz
Zilvia Member

Kookaburraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
This guy is doing a budget KA-T project, WHICH EVERY SINGLE PICTURE ON THIS THREAD IS OF AN SR!
And what does that have to do with ANYTHING?
Kookaburraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 08:27 AM   #33
Foxcolt
Zilvia FREAK!

Foxcolt is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Foxcolt
Keep in mind Koguchi also mounted his motor further into the firewall to make room upfront, and better weight distribution.

That is the single reason that would deter me from doing a project like that.

However that raised hood deflector idea is an ingenious one indeed. I might try a variation of that to help cool the engine bay on hot days

Regardless, I think everything posted in the topic is usefull and informative. I don't think anyones stepped out of line.

Quote:
This guy is doing a budget KA-T project, WHICH EVERY SINGLE PICTURE ON THIS THREAD IS OF AN SR!
Show me a picture of a tmic on a KA-T
Old 04-02-2003, 09:04 AM   #34
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Dorifto - I wasn't bashing drifters... I was simply implying that they bump into stuff. If they didn't, we wouldn't have 180sx's, strawberry faces, ect. I gave Koguchi (sp?) credit for an invention, and don't think that I belittled anyone except for my assumption that he is a drifter, which I haven't been corrected on yet.

Everyone that has asked what pics of SR motors has to do with anything...
The guy is putting an intercooler on a KA motor. If the KA and SR were the same, I wouldn't be welding a bunch of pipes together. It's not the same.
-Jeff
Old 04-02-2003, 09:14 AM   #35
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

DoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to beholdDoriftoSlut is a splendid one to behold
Fox, yes, Koguchi's engine is moved back 9cm. but look how HUGE his IC is. You don't need one that big. Also, even with the engine forward it does not appear that the front would contact that huge IC in anyway. The "clear hood" shot of the other 180 i posted has no engine movage.

Jeff, sorry if I was assuming. I was up all night doing projects, and I get delirious. [who is that tallking to me?][shut up][no, you shutup] Ha... voices what voices? [here] Where? [he's losing it...][yeah he is. Look at him drool.]

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
Old 04-02-2003, 09:17 AM   #36
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
yeah yeah he want KA-t but for SR guys, HPI makes a top mount, i can verify the compnay but im 90% sure its HPI. small IC though, but no engine relocation necessary

Oni,
why try to be different? get a LSD or something, dont waste time. you DONT NEED TURBO to drift, KA rocks. when you need more power, is when you drift and your foots on the floor all the time, until then, learn the KA and what you can do with it. buy a LSD first. dont waste time with this project
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 09:30 AM   #37
Foxcolt
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dorifto180sx
[B]Fox, yes, Koguchi's engine is moved back 9cm. but look how HUGE his IC is. You don't need one that big. Also, even with the engine forward it does not appear that the front would contact that huge IC in anyway. The "clear hood" shot of the other 180 i posted has no engine movage.
True true.

do you have a shot of the hood lip Koguchi made for his 115/180s15/s180/sil1580
Old 04-02-2003, 09:34 AM   #38
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
i do in a magazine. i might get one soon too hehehehehehe..
Old 04-02-2003, 09:37 AM   #39
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxcolt
True true.

do you have a shot of the hood lip Koguchi made for his 115/180s15/s180/sil1580
koguchi is not into the bring bring. He has no S15/S1580, etc... Only S13's and a few toyotas. 12 or 13 cars total. 8 180sx, 2 or 3 PS13, 2 toyota Cresta-type/ old Mk. II's.

let me find you a pic of the hood lip.

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
Old 04-02-2003, 09:49 AM   #40
Zemus
Nissanaholic!

Zemus is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Zemus
Quote:
Originally posted by dousan36
yeah yeah he want KA-t but for SR guys, HPI makes a top mount, i can verify the compnay but im 90% sure its HPI. small IC though, but no engine relocation necessary

Oni,
why try to be different? get a LSD or something, dont waste time. you DONT NEED TURBO to drift, KA rocks. when you need more power, is when you drift and your foots on the floor all the time, until then, learn the KA and what you can do with it. buy a LSD first. dont waste time with this project
yes, i know, i know you dont need turbo, but i still want a fast overall car. And yes, i know im getting LSD first, dont worry, thats #1 on my list. Then turbo, cuz i love having the speed of a turbo. And then after that it will be all suspention stuff.

And thanks everyone for the help, i think i will just go front mount, sounds good to me.
Zemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 09:49 AM   #41
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

since d w/ the little d is lazy here:

click
to view it clearer, when you click above, go to address and add:

.orig.jpg
Old 04-02-2003, 09:57 AM   #42
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...0.jpg.orig.jpg

Look at the pic somewhere in the middle of that. Closer up shot.

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
Old 04-02-2003, 10:12 AM   #43
Zemus
Nissanaholic!

Zemus is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Zemus
Quote:
Originally posted by dousan36
since d w/ the little d is lazy here:

click
to view it clearer, when you click above, go to address and add:

.orig.jpg
where do you get all these Mother F'in images, their so sweet, damn. They are from Option Right?
Zemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 10:13 AM   #44
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

no option sucks
this is battle magazine
Old 04-02-2003, 10:14 AM   #45
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally posted by Oni
where do you get all these Mother F'in images, their so sweet, damn. They are from Option Right?
Option, Drift Tengoku, Young Version, battle Magazine, etc... Option 2 is more catalogue stuff for what to buy etc... Kinda a big misconception.... Option is the motorsports magazine/videos, not Option 2. Option 2 videos highligh a DIY approach to tuning specific cars. Popular cars get their own volume.

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
Old 04-02-2003, 10:16 AM   #46
Foxcolt
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dorifto180sx
koguchi is not into the bring bring. He has no S15/S1580, etc... Only S13's and a few toyotas. 12 or 13 cars total. 8 180sx, 2 or 3 PS13, 2 toyota Cresta-type/ old Mk. II's.

let me find you a pic of the hood lip.
Oops, I thougth koguchi was the one with the 180sx w/ s15 front end. The guy that drove in the cali event a few monthes back.

What's his name?

Thanks for the pics, slick
Old 04-02-2003, 10:21 AM   #47
DoriftoSlut
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxcolt
Oops, I thougth koguchi was the one with the 180sx w/ s15 front end. The guy that drove in the cali event a few monthes back.

What's his name?

Thanks for the pics, slick
Accckkk!!!! Don't confuse the 2!! That guy is "Drifter X" Komatsu. SiGNAL SIl80. The SiGNAL D1 driver, Kazuya Bai has a 180 in japan, but drove the S15 for the 03/02 event. Koguchi brought over his red missle (non-D1 car.) Here are some pics:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290556693

Koguchi owned everyone out there.... none of the other guys came close... Yamamoto or Bai were probably the second best, even though he got shafted with the Drag/Circuit S15 instead of his normal RPS13....

www.pinkgodzira.com
www.driftalliance.com
Old 04-02-2003, 12:03 PM   #48
240Dori
Zilvia Member

240Dori is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 240Dori
there really arent any downsides to tmic that i can think of so do it and tell us how you like it man, you can be the guneia pig....
240Dori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 01:30 PM   #49
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by 240Dori
there really arent any downsides to tmic that i can think of so do it and tell us how you like it man, you can be the guneia pig....
¿Es la cabeza arriba su como?
Do you not read? There are a million bad things that can happen with a TMIC that doesn't have the cash and R&D behind it.
-Jeff
Old 04-02-2003, 05:06 PM   #50
Jim96SC2
Zilvia Junkie

Jim96SC2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Jim96SC2
Isn't the area in front of the engine a high pressure area anyway? But yeah. Best bet is for a FMIC. You COULD make a TMIC but your gonna have to experiment with airflows, different deflectors, core sizes, piping, etc. Remember you don't have that much room in front of your KA as opposed to an SR. Theres only 1-2 inches but it is noticable (or I may be completely crazy). Budget this isn't. But if you do it good luck!
Swap DONE: 40K Redtop, Greddy Turbo extension, Greddy DP, Greddy V-SPL FMIC, Greddy Hotpipe, HKS SSQV, Koyo Radiator, Toda Ultralight FW, Spec Stage 2 Clutch, ATS 2-way Diff., Rice-Boy Red Air Filter.
Jim96SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 05:13 PM   #51
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
koguchi looks like a 70's porn star in that picture.. lol. big hair, open shirt, and gold chain. ...scary.....
Old 04-02-2003, 06:18 PM   #52
Kookaburraz
Zilvia Member

Kookaburraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff240sx

Everyone that has asked what pics of SR motors has to do with anything...
The guy is putting an intercooler on a KA motor. If the KA and SR were the same, I wouldn't be welding a bunch of pipes together. It's not the same.
-Jeff
No, but we're not talking about a kit. It's custom welded pipes either way with a KAT (FM or TM) or SR TM. Where is the difference again, I'm confused.

As fas as having tons of R&D and cash behind it, what about Epik's TMIC?
Kookaburraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 06:24 PM   #53
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Quote:
Originally posted by Kookaburraz
No, but we're not talking about a kit. It's custom welded pipes either way with a KAT (FM or TM) or SR TM. Where is the difference again, I'm confused.

As fas as having tons of R&D and cash behind it, what about Epik's TMIC?
Why are you zoning in on me to argue with? Either way, I don't know who Epik is, but get some efficiency and flow values for it, then come back. If it beats a FMIC for efficiency and airflow getting to it, by all means, let me know.
-Jeff
Old 04-02-2003, 07:16 PM   #54
adey
Post Whore!

adey is an unknown quantity at this point
Sitting in my little corner here....

I've always had a problem calling Koguchis setup (and those pictured) "top mount" intercoolers. I would still consider them FMICs, but they happen to be sitting parallel (rather than perpendicular) to the ground. I mean, they're still in front of the engine, right? And they're not really above the engine either, kind of two-thirds the way up the engine.

Turbo IIs, GTi-Rs, WRXs and ST205s (? -- celica alltrak) I consider to have "TMIC"s, but Koguchi... heh, that's more on the FMIC side of the fence.

That said, I think it would be funny to see the "face" of an IC sticking out of a big rectangular cutout in the hood like you see FMIC faces sticking out of bumpers (see Mazorka JZX100 FMIC that was here in LA last month)... anyway.

Just saying! (scurries away with flames licking his heels)