Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #31
blackej7
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
blackej7 is just really niceblackej7 is just really niceblackej7 is just really niceblackej7 is just really niceblackej7 is just really niceblackej7 is just really niceblackej7 is just really niceblackej7 is just really niceblackej7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
in my opinion, if someone complains about stock sr, its probably not installed right, or your missing stuff. like... not using an o2 sensor, or a knock sensor, or your timing isnt set right... or your running wastegate pressure, not an mbc, or there are boost leaks, or vacuum lines arent right... or SOMETHING. people often overlook simple stuff.

a stock sr that is properly installed and running right is very fun. no shit, its not crazy fast... but lots of fun.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #32
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Why v8's?? Its a foreign car why not stay with a foreign engine. If you want to go fast for cheap get a 1j or 25 swap and just turn up boost.
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #33
upsdude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
upsdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark View Post
you had to hammer the gas pedal because he didn't have a boost controller. if you had an EBC you could control the boost at lower RPM and it'd keep the wastegate shut early int he RPMS so it'll spool faster.

i have had a stock SR for 2 years now. i don't get sick of the power. usually i get sick of power and feind for power upgrades, i haven't even done any power upgrades in over a year. I've been upgrading brakes and suspension. i'm satisfied with the power, my estimate is around 230whp with no tuning. my car looks like ass and you cant' see the intercooler, it's fun to see the look on evo owners faces.

either route, i don't know why you're saying you don't need a bov or FMIC, they will make things much better. lol i have an SMIC and no bov (capped off pipes) and am realizing that i do need them so those are my next upgrades.

i just have an MBC, boost to around 13-14 psi, occasional spikes higehr than that. but i have a toda flywheel and 1pc steel driveshaft, exedy stage 2 clutch, and s15 helical lsd.

thing is a BLAST to drive, i had to build this car tot he way i want it because there is nothing available like this car. well except now the hyundai genesis.

from yoru postings, it seems like you don't EXACTLY want to do it yourself to get this experience under your belt, but it you're lookingl ike a simple bolt in, yeah SR is the way to go. if you want to learn alot, and piece together a turbo kit and buildup your stock engine, and spend basically the same thing it'd cost for an S14/S15 sr engine set, then do it.

i say s14/s15 engine set because they're newer, will come with a bigger better turbo, would have less mileage, and you already have an s14 chassis. sure you can get an S13 redtop or typex blacktop, if you do, make sure the mileage is proven.
^*shrug* it wasn't my car-just sharing my experience w/it...and to clark-i didn't say it was a good set up, i was simply describing the setup, since the OP is talking about having a stock sr to drive around...and the reason i'm opting for a ka-t vs. an sr is because everyone and their mama wants to do an sr-so sue me for wanting to do something a little different...and yeah i have ZERO experience compared to most other ppl on here but hey, you gotta start somewhere.
upsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #34
clark
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
clark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfectionclark is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by filiperuvian View Post
^*shrug* it wasn't my car-just sharing my experience w/it...and to clark-i didn't say it was a good set up, i was simply describing the setup, since the OP is talking about having a stock sr to drive around...and the reason i'm opting for a ka-t vs. an sr is because everyone and their mama wants to do an sr-so sue me for wanting to do something a little different...and yeah i have ZERO experience compared to most other ppl on here but hey, you gotta start somewhere.
don't get butt hurt. i wasn't being mean or anything. i was merely pointing out that something was wrong with your setup, because i'm trying to avoid some 16 year old googling and finding your statement and becoming mis informed.
clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #35
upsdude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
upsdude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
hehehe butt hurt...pfft i'm married it'll take more than that to hurt me lol
upsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #36
MADE
Zilvia Addict

MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
did you just say maxima?

get the fuck outta here dude, you have no clue what youre talking about. stock sr and i was smoking exotics in the canyons here in LA, and giving supras a run for the money on the track (not drag racing).
Sorry for the semi off topic,

Smoking rolled up pages of exotics from the Dupont registery maybe. Unless the driver didn't want to push his car,have the skill or waste his time with you. What " exotic" car where you "smoking"? I said my opinion a stock SR isn't fun. It's a fact a bone stock SR (exclude S15 model) in an average S chassis cannot out perform a VQ35 in a A chassis.(acceleration wise) I have both cars so I'm not bais toward either.

Last edited by MADE; 09-21-2009 at 06:34 PM..
MADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #37
udon!
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
udon! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I dont like american cars, they dont have the ESSENCE, LIFESTYLE, CULTURE or, SPIRIT of japanese cars.
udon! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #38
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
You asked what's the performance with an SR.....

With a stock blacktop SR with supporting mods (big IC, BOV, etc, etc, etc), boosting the T25 at 14 psi, in a 3000 lb S14 (including me and gas),

I ran a 13.5 @ 100 mph with a 1.9 60'.

People that are good drivers with lighter cars have gotten into the 12's with stock SRs.

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #39
turboboost12004
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
turboboost12004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by udon! View Post
I dont like american cars, they dont have the ESSENCE, LIFESTYLE, CULTURE or, SPIRIT of japanese cars.
what lifesle, essence,culture,spirit is that....stealing your money on high cost performance mods...
Old 09-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #40
jspaeth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfectionjspaeth is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
IMO, American cars versus European/Japanese is one of "brute force" versus efficiency/refinement.

It's like if there's not enough power, just add more displacement!

Shitty ass 7-liter V-8s that only put out 350 hp. Weak.

Obviouslt the newest Corvettes are (finally) well engineered, and handle well....still can't take the Kmart interiors though.

Daily driven
jspaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #41
Bubbles
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Bubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfectionBubbles is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you don't find a stock sr exciting you sure as FUCK aren't going to enjoy paying 2-3 times as much and basically getting the same performance.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:03 AM   #42
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
Sorry for the semi off topic,

Smoking rolled up pages of exotics from the Dupont registery maybe. Unless the driver didn't want to push his car,have the skill or waste his time with you. What " exotic" car where you "smoking"? I said my opinion a stock SR isn't fun. It's a fact a bone stock SR (exclude S15 model) in an average S chassis cannot out perform a VQ35 in a A chassis.(acceleration wise) I have both cars so I'm not bais toward either.
you're clueless. get back inside your maxima and move some family members

Quote:
great generalization. just in case you forgot, american cars were considered the cream of the crop way back in the day.. which is much more than can be said about other countries and their vehicles. what i am trying to say, is numerous countries (let alone individuals) have developed some very unique and fantastic cars.

you on the other hand, are stuck reading too many magazines that review cars like "ford contour svt vs honda prelude vtec" ... get over it, there are a lot of nice cars out there. not saying that america hasnt produced a zillion shit-rides in the past decade or two, because they have. this happens to lots of companies that get too fat for their own good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
IMO, American cars versus European/Japanese is one of "brute force" versus efficiency/refinement.
It's like if there's not enough power, just add more displacement!
Shitty ass 7-liter V-8s that only put out 350 hp. Weak.
Obviouslt the newest Corvettes are (finally) well engineered, and handle well....still can't take the Kmart interiors though.
c6 corvette interior is fine, ive sat inside and they feel fine to me.

like i said, every car manufacturer has their flaws.. look at the nsx. all your talk about efficiency and these fuckers on the nsxprime forums still get upset because they spend tens of thousands in upgrades and still get their asses handed to them by some viper or z06. again, not saying the nsx is a bad car.. but that v6 is dated after that 10+ year production run, wouldnt you say?

i prefer japanese... correction, i prefer 90's era-NISSAN cars because they give you a good balance of performance and cost-effectiveness, so i dont feel guilty if i crash the fucker or if it gets stolen. ide probably want to hang myself if my brand new 60,000 dollar car gets stolen/smashed....... and in case you forgot, nissan's latest mousetrap is quite expensive at 80k+ and is difficult/expensive to tune.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #43
turboboost12004
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
turboboost12004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
you're clueless. get back inside your maxima and move some family members

great generalization. just in case you forgot, american cars were considered the cream of the crop way back in the day.. which is much more than can be said about other countries and their vehicles. what i am trying to say, is numerous countries (let alone individuals) have developed some very unique and fantastic cars.

you on the other hand, are stuck reading too many magazines that review cars like "ford contour svt vs honda prelude vtec" ... get over it, there are a lot of nice cars out there. not saying that america hasnt produced a zillion shit-rides in the past decade or two, because they have. this happens to lots of companies that get too fat for their own good.

c6 corvette interior is fine, ive sat inside and they feel fine to me.

like i said, every car manufacturer has their flaws.. look at the nsx. all your talk about efficiency and these fuckers on the nsxprime forums still get upset because they spend tens of thousands in upgrades and still get their asses handed to them by some viper or z06. again, not saying the nsx is a bad car.. but that v6 is dated after that 10+ year production run, wouldnt you say?

i prefer japanese... correction, i prefer 90's era-NISSAN cars because they give you a good balance of performance and cost-effectiveness, so i dont feel guilty if i crash the fucker or if it gets stolen. ide probably want to hang myself if my brand new 60,000 dollar car gets stolen/smashed....... and in case you forgot, nissan's latest mousetrap is quite expensive at 80k+ and is difficult/expensive to tune.

quoted for truth, + 99999 million cool points...
Old 09-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #44
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
alkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to alkemyst
just to get back on topic a bit...

what's needed to up the boost to 13-15psi on a T25? what has to be done to swap in a T28 (I want to go GT2871R eventually, but see T28's pretty cheap a lot)....
Old 09-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #45
jspeedm
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
jspeedm is on the path to ruinjspeedm is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
go get an issue of Low Rider Magazine. same ESSENCE, LIFESTYLE and, SPIRIT. bigger cars, different style.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #46
waynehead05
Zilvia Junkie

waynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura aboutwaynehead05 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to waynehead05
Huh... Then why is it my stock sr with an s15 turbo off wastegate is dead even with my buddies 350Z?
Old 09-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #47
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemyst View Post
just to get back on topic a bit...

what's needed to up the boost to 13-15psi on a T25? what has to be done to swap in a T28 (I want to go GT2871R eventually, but see T28's pretty cheap a lot)....
ah above 12lbs boost on a T25 you are out of efficiency curve. Its basically blowing hot air that point. Ya guys will tell you they have boosted 15lbs on a T25 but is 15lbs of wasted effort. You want to go 15lbs bolt on a T28.

Though I still feel upgrading the injectors is a good idea as well. There is a reason the S15 had 440 injectors. Of course if you do that I also suggest a different MAF and a good tunable ecu or a ECU Flash.

More fuel more air flow more power and higher boost capability. Of course everything has it limits internally as well.

You want to play you have to pay.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #48
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

alkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
ah above 12lbs boost on a T25 you are out of efficiency curve. Its basically blowing hot air that point. Ya guys will tell you they have boosted 15lbs on a T25 but is 15lbs of wasted effort. You want to go 15lbs bolt on a T28.

Though I still feel upgrading the injectors is a good idea as well. There is a reason the S15 had 440 injectors. Of course if you do that I also suggest a different MAF and a good tunable ecu or a ECU Flash.

More fuel more air flow more power and higher boost capability. Of course everything has it limits internally as well.

You want to play you have to pay.
That first quote should have been what's it take to go 13-15lbs on a T28...

That seems like a cheap swap.

So injectors, maf...with the stock ecu handle that or is that tuning time?

I am planning on adding to this as I go, I just want to get some power under the hood as that's the only thing left.

It sounds like just a stock SR20DET with sidemount even would be fun to start.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #49
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeedm View Post
go get an issue of Low Rider Magazine. same ESSENCE, LIFESTYLE and, SPIRIT. bigger cars, different style.
LMAO, I can't believe somebody actually said that.
Sounds like something out of a corny anime with bad engrish.
Feels a bit out of place when comparing automobiles.

SPIRITUU!!!!!!!!

Anyhow, I have a close to stock, S14 SR in my S14, making around 10 lbs.
It makes decent power at 4-5k.
The powerband isn't all that smooth, but it delivers ok when it does.
I definitely need a tune, but overall I'm moderately satisfied.

ixfxi must be an exceptional driver if he can drive well in the twisties with a 240 w/ an sr.
With stock suspension, open diff, and SR, I found my S14 to be the most difficult and unforgiving car ever.
With a helical diff & stock suspension, not too bad.
Even with a modified suspension, I find it's difficult to get enough grip and feedback at times.

I like to play with drivers on Mulholland canyons.
Shitty drivers w/ good cars don't mean much.
I can keep up with my mom's hybrid.
Good drivers w/ decent cars, probably.
Good drivers w/ fast cars, probably not.

AutoX, I'm usually within 4 secs of the fastest cars on an approx 40 sec course.
Really need to take it out to Streets or Buttonwillow & time it.

Guess I am spoiled with driving an underpowered miata prior.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #50
ESmorz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
ESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfectionESmorz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ESmorz
Shit... I think KA's are fun.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #51
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
That first quote should have been what's it take to go 13-15lbs on a T28...

That seems like a cheap swap.

I am planning on adding to this as I go, I just want to get some power under the hood as that's the only thing left.

It sounds like just a stock SR20DET with sidemount even would be fun to start.
well you could do it without injectors or maf but you start pushing your AF ratio in my opinion with even the T28. Injectors a Maf and ecu tune are insurance. It gives you room for more power and protects your investment by not running your injectors at full duty cycle and not pushing air flow ratio on your maf.

Now how you do the ecu tune is on you. Either by buying a tunable ECU or getting your stock SR ECU flashed for the injectors and MAF.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #52
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
well you could do it without injectors or maf but you start pushing your AF ratio in my opinion with even the T28. Injectors a Maf and ecu tune are insurance. It gives you room for more power and protects your investment by not running your injectors at full duty cycle and not pushing air flow ratio on your maf.

Now how you do the ecu tune is on you. Either by buying a tunable ECU or getting your stock SR ECU flashed for the injectors and MAF.
I am thinking Enthalpy because they are pretty local.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #53
nathanong87
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
nathanong87 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:

2.5-3k... thats boost.
pretty much. before i had a walbro i was advised to stay out of boost. and that was 2k and below :P. needless to say...at least i got good gas mileage! =)
nathanong87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:50 AM   #54
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
That first quote should have been what's it take to go 13-15lbs on a T28...That seems like a cheap swap.
thats the n00b mistake i made back in the day, installed an S15 spec-r turbo thinking because it bolts in that it wouldnt require tuning. YEAH RIGHT

anytime you make a change, you need to have your car tuned properly. turbo isnt an intake, exhaust or header.. its a fucking turbo. every RPM the motor is tuned for a certain amount of fuel and air, and the turbo changes the ENTIRE equation.

my car still ran, but it didnt create any top end power and needed tuning. lesson: get your car tuned properly after changing turbos.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote