Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
colombianbryan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
colombianbryan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Rear diff debate

Im looking to get rid of my boring one way diff soon and i know that there are plenty to chose from. There are aftermarket ones but i heard they are noisy and are really expensive. I could weld it also or use them from a j30 or r200v. I know that there are more but im not sure what they are. This is just a simple thread to hopefully get some insight on which one you guys have used and which is they best and most reliable without having to do any other mods to make them fit.
colombianbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
146 posts in, you can search this stuff. Look up VLSD, as it seems you're looking for cheap cheap cheap

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
colombianbryan
Zilvia Junkie

i know that they are out there but every time i look its based on one and not a couple at a time. and not really cheap i dont mind spending extra if i have to
Old 09-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Save up for the expensive stuff. I've learned my lesson. It SHOULD be the first thing you buy for the car.
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0apgun View Post
Save up for the expensive stuff. I've learned my lesson. It SHOULD be the first thing you buy for the car.
I can second this.

Go with a 1,5 way, the lock isn't as bad as a 2 way. If that's too much for you, a nice VLSD would do fine.

Just make sure that thing still works, it'll be just as bad as an open diff if it doesn't work.
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
Slide_Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Slide_Addict is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dont use a vlsd they overheat and not as consistant as a welded thats if your looking to drift and wanting to stay on the cheap side
Slide_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
I love my Tomei 2 way. It's a 240, if you complain about the noise, this isn't the car for you.
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
jstr269

jstr269 is an unknown quantity at this point
I enjoy my welded diff also. I d.d. mine and it does eat tires a little, but you never have to worry about when or if it's going to lock.
jstr269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
From my experience, most people in SoCal used to choose between

Nismo
KAAZ
Cusco
and Tomei

Nismo had some diffs that were pretty mild without clunks, I think it was called Nismo Street or something like that. I bought a used 2-way that was like this once from a shop called G-Speed, and supposedly that was what was inside. They've also got some pretty aggressive ones that are adjustable. I know some people on here had/have it; I believe it was called the Nismo SSS Differential. And then there was Nismo GT, which was supposedly really aggressive. Depending on your connections, you could get a Nismo diff in the sub $1000 range, or you can get lucky and find a used diff and work with that. I bought my used Nismo diff for $600 at the time. Just make sure it's not VERY used, or else it'll function poorly. Also, I think certain Nissan dealerships that carry Nismo diffs may also be able to get service parts for you if you ever need them. Check with your dealer on that one...

KAAZ was straight-up super aggressive and super clunky. I remember seeing everyone at Drift Day events rolling around the parking lot with KAAZ diffs clunking SUPER hard, and it looked like some shat was about to break. A friend of mine has a 1.5-way KAAZ diff in his FC, and it's worked just fine for him at some events. $1000+ but the good thing is that you can get service parts here in the USA, like new clutch plates when you eventually wear them out.

Tomei was good. I drove a friend's car with a 2-way Tomei once. All I can say is that it didin't clunk as loud as the KAAZ diffs I've seen, and the locking was pretty aggressive/immediate. You used to be able to find a hookup for these brand new for about $700 or $800 if you knew the right guy, but I doubt anything like that exists anymore. Either that or I've just been out of the loop for too long.

Right now, I'm using a Cusco RS differential, and the locking is a lot more gradual (depending on throttle input) compared to the Tomei one I tried. I like it the best so far, and when it wears out, I will be most saddened. Price is ... I dunno... I bought this one used as well and has worked great for years.

The only real thing to look at if you want to be picky are the designs of the differential for things like initial torque. Every clutch-type diff has some sort of spring design on the inside that will set them apart from each other, from a cone-spring like the Cusco MZ (and i think Nismo) to a set of small coil springs like the Cusco RS.

In the end, get what you can get at a price that is acceptable. Everything I listed is WAY better than VLSD and WAY better than welded, both of which I've also ran on.

Anyways, my 2cents. Take from it what you will.

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
endlessboost
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
endlessboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I bought a Nismo street with about 2,000 miles on it and absolutely love the thing. It's pretty quiet in terms of street driving and locks pretty well when you want it to. My friend has the same diff but his has like 10k miles on it and that shit clunks like crazy but still locks well.
endlessboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
cjmirabal1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
cjmirabal1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if its a street car...i say s15 hlsd. i had a vlsd....didnt like it...then got that....i love it!!!!
cjmirabal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #12
Skilz10179
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Skilz10179 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmirabal1 View Post
if its a street car...i say s15 hlsd. i had a vlsd....didnt like it...then got that....i love it!!!!
X2 I love my S15 helical lsd. No noise, no chatter, no control issues with locking and unlocking when cornering, just grip.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #13
frifox

frifox is an unknown quantity at this point
been dd'ing welded for more than a year. saving up for OS Giken LSD or Kaaz 2-way SuperQ...
frifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Mmmm OS Giken But so0o0o0o expensive

Surprised nobody mentioned Carbonetic, probably what I'm going to end up getting.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #15
Pandapants
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Pandapants is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Pandapants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilz10179 View Post
X2 I love my S15 helical lsd. No noise, no chatter, no control issues with locking and unlocking when cornering, just grip.
I've been looking into this for a awhile; I think I'm going to try it. It seems like a good median for a street car.
Pandapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #16
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Isn't the final drive gear ration on S15 HLSD really long?

Old 09-02-2011, 03:49 PM   #17
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
You just use the center section and bolt the stock ring gear to it, thus retaining 4.08.

I've had two torsens, a nismo 1.5 GT and now have a 1.5 giken. Giken > all.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:11 PM   #18
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
You just use the center section and bolt the stock ring gear to it, thus retaining 4.08.

I've had two torsens, a nismo 1.5 GT and now have a 1.5 giken. Giken > all.
Ooooh interesting

Why did you have two torsens? Did the first one break?

And what do you like about the OS Giken that makes it > all? lol Sorry to interrogate, but am just curious about that brand, since I've never tried OS Giken before.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #19
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Bought torsen, bought 1.5, thought 1.5 broke, bought another torsen, bought giken.

Giken = super smooth engagement --smoothest of any clutch type I've felt. Also doesn't require break-in and probably never need a rebuild. And I far prefer a clutch type at autox to a torsen.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #20
S14Josh
Zilvia Junkie

S14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond reputeS14Josh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to S14Josh
I've been daily driving my 14 with a welded diff since 07. No issues yet, and I love it.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #21
Skilz10179
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Skilz10179 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMigs View Post
Isn't the final drive gear ration on S15 HLSD really long?
I'm not really sure but i took the ring gear off my stock open diff and used it on the S15 HLSD, although when you're doubling or even tripling the stock hp levels a taller gear might be pretty nice...
Old 09-02-2011, 08:29 PM   #22
Perfect Balance
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Perfect Balance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just for the record, Kaaz and Tomei are the same thing. Tomei Diffs are made by Kaaz.

Clunking or not clunking depends a lot on the fluid and initial setting of the LSD (determined by the arrangement of the plates inside). Mine is set to 80% and only really clunks after driving hard or on really hot days. If I had set it to 60% it would probably almost never clunk, and on 100% it would probably clunk constantly.
Perfect Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #23
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Surprised nobody has mentioned Carbonetic..

Anyone have experience with them? Seems too good to be true, noiseless + bleeding edge performance.
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #24
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
J30 vlsd blows. It's way better then open. But then sometimes it won't lock up and leave one tire mark. It's a pos. I wanna buy a 1.5 way. Nismo
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #25
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaZeD View Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned Carbonetic..
Look harder
Old 09-03-2011, 04:44 AM   #26
carmaniac1993
Zilvia Member

carmaniac1993 is on the path to ruincarmaniac1993 is on the path to ruin
i didnt read any replys
but im just gonna say, welded diff is not as bad as alot of people make it seem. Its not like ZomGzzz its raining im g0ing to wr3ck!!11!!!1. its great for drifting
but i will also say, ive been dailying a welded for 2 years and at this point, i am dead tired of it. it fucks EVERYTHING up. transmissions, bushings, bearings, pretty much everything in your drivetrain. doesnt happen fast, but it'll creep up.
carmaniac1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #27
colombianbryan
Zilvia Junkie

Thanks for all the insight!! Now i'm leaning towards the s15 hlsd. Did some research and seems pretty straight forward installation, good price and an awesome final drive! I'm using it as a daily that's why i was wondering about the clunking and such.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #28
dazed
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (37)
dazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the roughdazed is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgRWDgoodness! View Post
Look harder
LOL. So someone said basically the exact same thing that I said... wow I didn't even see that. Still not exactly informative.
dazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #29
cjmirabal1
Zilvia Member

cjmirabal1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianbryan View Post
Thanks for all the insight!! Now i'm leaning towards the s15 hlsd. Did some research and seems pretty straight forward installation, good price and an awesome final drive! I'm using it as a daily that's why i was wondering about the clunking and such.

U wont regret it bro!!!! Just remember to get s15 input shafts to. Ull need them if u get just the lsd unit and not the whole pumkin
cjmirabal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #30
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmaniac1993 View Post
i didnt read any replys
but im just gonna say, welded diff is not as bad as alot of people make it seem. Its not like ZomGzzz its raining im g0ing to wr3ck!!11!!!1. its great for drifting
but i will also say, ive been dailying a welded for 2 years and at this point, i am dead tired of it. it fucks EVERYTHING up. transmissions, bushings, bearings, pretty much everything in your drivetrain. doesnt happen fast, but it'll creep up.
Lolol I like that