Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #31
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoSilvia270R
all I saw on that page was this:

Underconstruction

‚½‚¾‚¢‚܁A‚±‚̃y[ƒW‚͏€”õ’*‚Å‚·B
‚*‚¤‚µ‚΂ç‚*‚¨‘Ò‚¿‚* ¾‚³‚¢B

... and I don't understand that gibberish at the bottom

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2005, 04:41 PM   #32
sdtouge
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
sdtouge can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ca swap in a s13 is the same wiring as sr swap except lower harness all plugs up great and some people choose to wire there knock sensor differently.

people that use there is no replacement for displacement to win on te sr vs ca battle are morons. they should have stuck with a ka. (wich ive blown, 2, one o them a month old from a rebuild or so).

ca does have power, and same gears so you cant complain about a weak tranny. the ca is also 44 pounds light than the sr. there are lots of aftermarket parts out there, sits liek ebay, tomie (makes everytihng for the ca) and taikira.net or sometihng liek that.

dyno proven with a exhaust and a sr s13 turbo ca18 makes the same power as stock sr.

in the long run, the ca can handle MORE horse power being iron, and aluminm can not handle the stress as well as a iron block.

in japan there is a guy 650hp stock bottom end just pistons. that is good for a 1.8 liter.

ca and sr both have there strong and weak points it just comes down to what you like, torque, or a tuff ass motor than can rev to the sky all day long.
sdtouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 04:43 PM   #33
sdtouge
BANNED

650 in a 1.8 liter is the same power/liter as a 2liter with 722.22222222225 hp. just a fyi
Old 06-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #34
NismoSilvia270R
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
NismoSilvia270R is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NismoSilvia270R
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLIP
all I saw on that page was this:

Underconstruction

‚½‚¾‚¢‚܁A‚±‚̃y[ƒW‚͏€”õ’*‚Å‚·B
‚*‚¤‚µ‚΂ç‚*‚¨‘Ò‚¿‚* ¾‚³‚¢B

... and I don't understand that gibberish at the bottom

yeah sorry bout that. note my edit. but if you guys can read hiragana(mines really bad) ill scan the article. probably wont help any, except for cool pics.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bcdc44.../ph//my_photos

Last edited by NismoSilvia270R; 06-11-2005 at 05:23 PM..
NismoSilvia270R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:06 PM   #35
JH
Zilvia Member

JH is making a name for him/her selfJH is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtouge
in japan there is a guy 650hp stock bottom end just pistons. that is good for a 1.8 liter.
1) there's people who rev to 12K with old dodge slant 6s... does that mean everyone can and should do the same?
2) what is the chance that anyone who is doing a CA18 swap in the US will ever even do anything to their motors to reach the same supposed potential as the one guy in Japan? (remember, 97% of people who do CA swaps in the US do so because they are poor.) how many motors did the japper dude go through before he was able to attain the "formula" for keeping his stock motor together? there's more $$$
3) "just pistons" actually isn't too stock btw...
4) NO motor self destructs on its own w/o poor negligence on the owner/driver's behalf, save for some notable ones (in Nissan's history to keep it relevant) such as the first U20s and VH45s etc...
5) RPM = Ruins People's Motors
JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #36
TheTicTac
Zilvia Junkie

TheTicTac is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLIP
I have never seen one blown the fuck up for what seems to be no reason at all, while I personally know 2 people and have talked with 3-5 others who have blown SRs up under what was basically normal operation and I even know a couple of KAs to send themselves off to hell for no apparent reason.
Damn pretty scary, good thing they didn't mass produce the SR.. or KA

Constant High revs will bring down the LS1 or any motor for that matter. From what I have seen the piston rings do a number on the walls and the stock oil pan needs to go if you plan on a high g/machine. Do you ever wonder why LS7 went dry sump?
Old 06-11-2005, 07:08 PM   #37
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

Team Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Team Rootbeer
what up bama boys.....we should be doing the swap sometime ive made my decision and im gonna do it, later boys c u all sunday at barbers
on the other hand......sr is to much for me.....im not poor, but i just graduated hs and dont really have a lotta cash for my car right now so the ca seems like a good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodv
90% of the cars posted here are stock or with original rims painted black
I'm not an asshole but is the true..
Team Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 08:44 PM   #38
JH
Zilvia Member

JH is making a name for him/her selfJH is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamslideshow
im not poor, but i just graduated hs and dont really have a lotta cash for my car right now so the ca seems like a good choice
how bout putting less money into the following:
- full tune up on the existing engine
- replacing ALL fluids
- coilovers and brakes
- a weekend at a driving school

You will end up with a car (and driver: you) 10x faster than the same car with a CA18 swap, and 100x less chance of crashing it...
JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 08:57 PM   #39
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

TheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to all
The CA is so old, that it sat behind Jesus in the second grade.

Okay that was a rip-off lame joke, but seriously the engineering plans for it were written with rock and chisel. Ok Im serious now, The Ca is great. I had one stock on 14psi with a sr turbo put down 224rwhp. 223rwtq. run sr's run
TheSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #40
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH
how bout putting less money into the following:
- full tune up on the existing engine
- replacing ALL fluids
- coilovers and brakes
- a weekend at a driving school

You will end up with a car (and driver: you) 10x faster than the same car with a CA18 swap, and 100x less chance of crashing it...
That is likely the best advice given in this thread, but it will likely fall upon deaf ears, if for only one reason:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamslideshow
i just graduated hs

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #41
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
guys, im gonna say it again.

eight cylinders is the way to go.

eff a tiggity turbiddyBO!
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:45 PM   #42
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

TheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakotoS13
guys, im gonna say it again.

eight cylinders is the way to go.

eff a tiggity turbiddyBO!

Yes it is...

But you have four more till you get there.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:24 PM   #43
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTicTac
So LS1's don't blow up?
No infact no motors just blow up.

Motors blow up because.

Dumb noobs dont know what they are doing.

Installation incorrect.

Part failures due to unseen things.

beating the hell out of them and using them for what they are meant to do. (me)
blu808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:08 PM   #44
boosteds13
Zilvia Addict

boosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really niceboosteds13 is just really nice
I love people who say the CA is so old. Aside from the ECU's and the different materials making the block, what is old about it? The onboard sensors are nearly identical (in fact, you can use an SR ecu on a CA and vice versa through the use of an adapter harness or some tedious wiring). Let's see, the crank is forged with a main cap girdle. The rods are shot-peened from the factory. Oil squirters under the pistons- CHECK. It is argued the CA has one of the best head designs ever to leave the Nissan think-tank. Reason why it was replaced by the SR? Nissan needed a cheaper alternative. The CA was just too costly to produce.

And newer isn't always better. I can get all the equipment I need to tune my own EPROM for under $250. The old "Atari" 8-bit technology is good for something, right? Ever wonder why they still use pushrods in a lot of V8's even though a DOHC motor is more "modern"? ....because it works. (That and it saves a SHITLOAD of space under the hood )

And to the thread starter, Ray @ Enjuku Racing here in Orlando had a CA18 in his S14. He was running a T60-1 and an SDS EMS in it as well. I would contact him if you have any S14 install specific questions.

And for those still calling it old, the CA was manufactured until 1994. Europe did not get the SR until the S14 model came out. EVERY S13 in Europe had the CA.

boosteds13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:27 PM   #45
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosteds13
And newer isn't always better. I can get all the equipment I need to tune my own EPROM for under $250. The old "Atari" 8-bit technology is good for something, right? Ever wonder why they still use pushrods in a lot of V8's even though a DOHC motor is more "modern"? ....because it works. (That and it saves a SHITLOAD of space under the hood ).
i like how dinosaur pushrod V8's still smoke japanese V8's because of the KISS philosophy.

a GOOD design is a GOOD design... CA seems to be an alright motor its just that a 1.8L turbo can't make good torque on demand...

so screw that.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:59 AM   #46
raen419
Zilvia Member

raen419 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to raen419
he already has suspension work done.
flta-2's, i believe tanabe ruca's, not sure what else.
he's doing it b/c it's a good idea.
if i were to buy a ca, though, it better be low miles or cheap and then i'd go for a rebuild.

people who say "no replacement for displacement" don't understand what they're saying.
raen419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:23 AM   #47
jjwilks240
Leaky Injector

jjwilks240 is making a name for him/her selfjjwilks240 is making a name for him/her selfjjwilks240 is making a name for him/her self
this thread has a whole lot of pussy in it.

for drifting
stock ka is easier than stock ca because of torque

with $1000 properly invested you can have a decent powerband plus who uses the 1-3k rpm range when drifting anyway.

i have a ca that cost me $1000canadian for the swap in total and that was with a clip.

sr clip canadian $3000 and up

you wont like the ca compared to the ka if you keep it stock.

it is Very hard to notice a 15-20hp difference

so it will feel simialy once the revs are up, but it doesnt move till 3g's so ur gona want ur ka back.

ill stick with my ca
Old 06-12-2005, 01:35 AM   #48
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwilks240
this thread has a whole lot of pussy in it.

for drifting
stock ka is easier than stock ca because of torque

with $1000 properly invested you can have a decent powerband plus who uses the 1-3k rpm range when drifting anyway.

i have a ca that cost me $1000canadian for the swap in total and that was with a clip.

sr clip canadian $3000 and up

you wont like the ca compared to the ka if you keep it stock.

it is Very hard to notice a 15-20hp difference

so it will feel simialy once the revs are up, but it doesnt move till 3g's so ur gona want ur ka back.

ill stick with my ca

You my friend are an idiot. Not only have you failed, but you have failed miserably. Let me not rant and let me simplify to save my breath. 1. Not everyone’s into drifting. 2 as posted, one of my previous cars was a stock ca that dynoed 223tq to the wheels. Most sr's dont get that on there own tubo at 14psi, far aswell comparing it to a stock ka .
Old 06-12-2005, 02:09 AM   #49
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
I went for a ride today in an FD with an LS1 swap..the one that was in SCC. The guy did 1.13 G's around the skidpad and broke an SCC record. The car is freakin fast. weighs 2800 pounds with the v-8 in it. And it kicks ass.

Snail..my Sr made 215whp/214 torque with 10psi and running rich. I'm sure an SR that's in good condition can push better numbers than that with 14psi on a stock turbo.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:21 AM   #50
TheTicTac
Zilvia Junkie

TheTicTac is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808
No infact no motors just blow up.

Motors blow up because.

Dumb noobs dont know what they are doing.

Installation incorrect.

Part failures due to unseen things.

beating the hell out of them and using them for what they are meant to do. (me)
My point exactly. Any motor will blow up if you don't know what you are doing. So to the thread starter, get whatever you want.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:26 AM   #51
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westboroughpimp
I went for a ride today in an FD with an LS1 swap..the one that was in SCC. The guy did 1.13 G's around the skidpad and broke an SCC record. The car is freakin fast. weighs 2800 pounds with the v-8 in it. And it kicks ass.

Snail..my Sr made 215whp/214 torque with 10psi and running rich. I'm sure an SR that's in good condition can push better numbers than that with 14psi on a stock turbo.

I believe you, believe me I am not bias, I currently own a sr. That ca at dyno day beat all the other 5 sr's, three of them where around the same boost. Which showed people there that the ca should not be under estimated. I think it's only downfall is that it came with a small ass turbo. Put a stock sr turbo on it and its more then competitive. I was proud of that little bastard, but it was one of the flipping cars, so it had to be sold. It changed my perspective on ca's though. Once again, Ca's should not be underestimated.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:48 AM   #52
chlatboy
Zilvia FREAK!

chlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnail
I believe you, believe me I am not bias, I currently own a sr. That ca at dyno day beat all the other 5 sr's, three of them where around the same boost. Which showed people there that the ca should not be under estimated. I think it's only downfall is that it came with a small ass turbo. Put a stock sr turbo on it and its more then competitive. I was proud of that little bastard, but it was one of the flipping cars, so it had to be sold. It changed my perspective on ca's though. Once again, Ca's should not be underestimated.
Plus the aftermarket support is not as high. Since the SR is made to be the showroom beauty, everyone has forgetten about the iron block CA18.

chlatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:29 AM   #53
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

Team Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Team Rootbeer
the comment ab the good advice of going to racing school falling upon deaf ears bc i just graduated hs is very stereotyped.....just bc some younger people are not mature enough to handle a sports car, doesnt mean all of us are......my family has been in racing since i was born.....ive never had an accident that was my fault....dont street race like a dumbass, and am more than mature enough to handle a decent car!!!

but anyways....this isnt a battle of which motor is better thread i started to see what was involved in the swap as far as litttle shit thats diff from sr swaps and to see one in an s14....so anyone have any of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodv
90% of the cars posted here are stock or with original rims painted black
I'm not an asshole but is the true..
Team Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:13 PM   #54
sdtouge
BANNED

i got my motor for 700$. i have alot put into my car. probably more than most people here. if i wanted a sr20 i could have one. i wanted a motor that was able to take the abuse, i got it. if you dont liek it, blow me.

it is a known fact that the sr is the cheap alternatice to the ca18det for nissan. face it lol.

and that guy had stock rods stock crank...

there are people on nico who are doing lots with ca18s.... go check it out if your interested on finding out somje info on the ca18.
www.nicoclub.com
Old 06-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #55
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
why would you want to downgrade? blah blah blah blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Old 06-12-2005, 02:01 PM   #56
that180guy
Zilvia Addict

that180guy is making a name for him/her selfthat180guy is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to that180guy
i want a sr witha ca head
mmm...solid hydraulic lifters.....mmmm.....no rocker arms to fly off....mmm...
....i guess.....ill hafta work with what sr's got

if there was such thing as a ca20de, id be all over it. but the whole fact of having my motor smaller then a 2litre bottle of soda is....:ghey:

oh yeah, the whole point of having a engine, is to beat the shit outta it. nuff said'
drive it.
break it.
fix it.
repeat.
(repeat as manytimes needed to have fun)

Part of the Elite Shasta Speed Stars
RIP......05-09-03....*sniff sniff
the beast nears completion.....

YOU LOOK AND U BUY STUFF !!!!!
that180guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:31 PM   #57
sLiDewAys
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
sLiDewAys is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i hate how everytime we try and point out the qualities from the ca, it turns into a ca vs. sr debate...

SR repalced CA due to COST... not that it was a better motor..... all of you who think u know the fact... or should i say taht those of you who repeat what youve heard on other forums can BLOW ME........ ca aftermarket support FOR ME hasnt been a problem and ive been able to find whatever i need w/o a sweat.... i guess the only way to prove the motor to all the lame heads is to bring it to the events.. well se eu at the events TORQUE HEADS.. lol who drifts at 3k anyway.. .. this thread needs to be CLOSED please...... can i get a couple hands on that request.

brandon
sLiDewAys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:35 PM   #58
sLiDewAys
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
sLiDewAys is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by that180guy
i want a sr witha ca head
mmm...solid hydraulic lifters.....mmmm.....no rocker arms to fly off....mmm...
....i guess.....ill hafta work with what sr's got

if there was such thing as a ca20de, id be all over it. but the whole fact of having my motor smaller then a 2litre bottle of soda is....:ghey:

oh yeah, the whole point of having a engine, is to beat the shit outta it. nuff said'
drive it.
break it.
fix it.
repeat.
(repeat as manytimes needed to have fun)

ca16de
ca18de
ca20de
ca18et
ca18e

they all exhist here. JUST NOT CA18DET thank you venus auto for providing me a 75 thousand mile motor which i can say proudly held 170 psi or above on all fours
sLiDewAys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:55 PM   #59
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

Actualy its a ca20e. There is a guy in australia that makes the crank gear with the correct amount of teeth as the ca18 head. Then you get a custom extended ca18 timing belt, and that is where ca20det's come from.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:05 PM   #60
that180guy
Zilvia Addict

that180guy is making a name for him/her selfthat180guy is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to that180guy
hrmm.....thats interesting
but isnt like, all of the aftermarket support for the ca geared torwards turbo?
and they made 2.0l ca's from the factory ??!!??
I WANT ONE!!!

that kinda...inspires me......ca20de.....

black guy brandon: wen u payin a trip to venus again? me and kenny wanna go up n check out front clips n stuff

Part of the Elite Shasta Speed Stars
RIP......05-09-03....*sniff sniff
the beast nears completion.....

YOU LOOK AND U BUY STUFF !!!!!
that180guy is offline   Reply With Quote