Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Archive and FAQs

Archive and FAQs Archives and Frequently Asked Questions about the 240SX are in here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2002, 08:57 PM   #1
rampid360
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
rampid360 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to rampid360
Well, I had a loud ticking noise that matched the revs coming from my fucking engine bay for about 2 weeks on my 104,000 mile 240sx. I was about 100 miles past my last 3,000 mile change according to the valvoline sticker left behind by the previous owner. (Come to think of it, those fucks might have marked it according to the Nissan 3,750 mile 'recommendation'.

Anyway, I checked the oil yesterday. Jesus fuck, that was low. I went and got a quart of Valvoline 10w30 Synth Blend and dumped it in there. STILL BELOW MINIMUM. So I went and got three quarts of Valvoline 10w30 Synth Blend. Put another in, drove it around the block, noise went away.

I shelved the other two quarts then went back to autozone. I'm friends with a guy that has been racing for a while now (drives a 300zxTT at age 29) and he recommended I do a flush. Below is what I did.

I put in 1 quart of Engine Gook (gray bottle). I idled the engine for 5 minutes.

I pulled off the valvoline filter and drained the oil. Next, I put on a cheap STP filter. I added:

1 quart 0w30 oil.
2 quarts Automatic Transmission Fluid.
1 quart Gook.

Now, I idled for 15 minutes, then revved to 2,000 for 20 seconds. I turned it off, drained it, threw out the STP filter.

Finally, I put on a Mobil 1 filter and added 3 + 3/4 quarts Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 10w30. He said that the flush procedure should negate the need to run synth blend for a while.

Anyway, my friend said he flushed his engine once (sometimes twice) every oil change. It costs as much as a cheap filter ($3) plus the ATF, Gook, and 0w30, but it is totally worth it. My tick is 100% gone, the engine runs like fucking new, and runs better than it did when I got it (and it was running very well then).