Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > USA > North Eastern States

North Eastern States Connecticut, Maine, Massachussettes, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Thedriftbadger is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking about moving to Nyc

What up guys. I'm getting real tired of living in florida. Just the people, the weather, pretty much everything about it sucks. I've been to new york quite a few times and i love it up there, especially in the city. There's just so much to do, which is the exact opposite of where i live now. I've been considering moving there for years and i think i'm gonna make the move in the next year or two, if all will work out.
Anyway i'd like to hear from some people who live or have lived there. What are the good and bad parts? I'm mostly concerned with my car lol. Like what do i do with it? How much does it cost to park it in a garage or something? Is there any good tracks that have drifting near by? Thanks in advance
Thedriftbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
No 240.. No id
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (35)
No 240.. No id is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Totally the opposite of me. I Just took a vacation to FL, and i loved the weather. Maybe because am in TN, but i liked FL a lot.
No 240.. No id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by No 240.. No id View Post
Totally the opposite of me. I Just took a vacation to FL, and i loved the weather. Maybe because am in TN, but i liked FL a lot.
Depends when you were here. From like november to march is alright, but the summer is just too hot. I don't even want to go outside hot. Like the a/c in my car won't get cold until i drive 2 miles hot. And after 20 years i physically cannot take any more of it. Even in the middle of the winter it will be cold for mabe 3 days then the next day its 85. Yesterday i checked the air pressure in my tires and was sweating so hard i had to take a shower lol.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Will you be driving your 240 up here? If so, be prepared for some wild winters, or have a beater car ready or just stick with the public transportation.

I was always paranoid about my car because my 240 got stolen and stripped once, so...I'd invest in a good 2 way alarm, club etc. but my friend had an S14.5 parked outside his house for many years with no problems. It's all about how flashy your car is and what neighborhood.

no good 'legal' tracks closeby. closest one is in NJ a few hours drive.

garage parking is expensive in the city (Manhattan), unless you can find one included in part of your rent, but you'd be living in the outer boroughs (brooklyn, staten island, queens, bronx)

xquizitditz
enkei2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
vl4bad

vl4bad is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink nyc

exactly what he said^^

honestly NY is the worst place you can move to, too many tourists, too many people in general, everyone lives on top of each other, unless you can find a decent place with a good neighborhood you should be fine, but finding a place with a garage or parking lot area is not hard but more expensive. It takes alot of money & patience to live in the NYC area. especially if you have a low-ass car. Just be prepared to be dodging potholes like Neo from the matrix.
vl4bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Yea i think i'm gonna stay out of the city. Still want to move to the northeast though. But i feel like i wouldn't like living in a city. I want to have room to do my car stuff too, it's hard to do that when you live in an apartment lol.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #7
vl4bad

vl4bad is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedriftbadger View Post
Yea i think i'm gonna stay out of the city. Still want to move to the northeast though. But i feel like i wouldn't like living in a city. I want to have room to do my car stuff too, it's hard to do that when you live in an apartment lol.
Well see that's the things I felt..after being over whelmed with NYC after 20 years.. I moved to north NJ, I live in a nice house where I have a garage, long ass driveway and more than enough space to work on it in those two locations...on top of that I'm not cramped in a aptmnt..so your best bet is nj, all the decent tracks aren't far if u live here, also have a wide variety of specialty and tuning shops..as long as u don't end up in a bad neighborhood you should be good.
vl4bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
nyc sucks ass. born there and lived there till my last 9 years of being alive.
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
RBRUCE762

Trader Rating: (1)
RBRUCE762 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Living in the northeast is nice, but summer is really only.3 months long, spring and fall are good, but winter sucks, the roads for a 240 through most places up here are horrible, cause the ground freezes and thaws, amd settles, my .02 any ways. I live in CT, and drive through nyc to visit family and to go to club loose, and traffic always sucks.
RBRUCE762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
Thedriftbadger
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBRUCE762 View Post
Living in the northeast is nice, but summer is really only.3 months long, spring and fall are good, but winter sucks
That's the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. Florida summers are all year long without a break. After 20 years of this shit i want nothing more than a short summer and a suck winter.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
RBRUCE762

RBRUCE762 is an unknown quantity at this point
Its not bad, just a garage is a must, otherwise you dont get very much time to work on the car. But actually having different seasons is nice, and you dont have to worry about storms like fl
RBRUCE762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Not true anymore. Plus do yourself a favor and look at the cost of living vs. what your salary/income will be. NY is beautiful but if you are in the Tri-state Metro area or Long Island....prepare to pay a premium. I am looking to move out of NY because of the cost of living and how insane it can be here.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Hatemy7
Zilvia FREAK!

Hatemy7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedriftbadger View Post
What up guys. I'm getting real tired of living in florida. Just the people, the weather, pretty much everything about it sucks. I've been to new york quite a few times and i love it up there, especially in the city. There's just so much to do, which is the exact opposite of where i live now. I've been considering moving there for years and i think i'm gonna make the move in the next year or two, if all will work out.
Anyway i'd like to hear from some people who live or have lived there. What are the good and bad parts? I'm mostly concerned with my car lol. Like what do i do with it? How much does it cost to park it in a garage or something? Is there any good tracks that have drifting near by? Thanks in advance
WTF?

WHY?

That place is shit, dirty as fuck, shitty ass people, rude ass people as well lol.

fuck that place i say
Hatemy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #14
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

^^^LOL easy to say when you live in the most beautiful city in America (in my opinion). I was actually looking at Chi-town as my next stop lol.

Whether you want to admit it or not NYC is the center of everything (which is part of what I hate about it). Yes dirty....yes RUDE people....but always the epicenter of most things with the catch 22 that you A-must be part of the "in crowd" and/or B-Must have money to afford the lifestyle. Huge discrepancy between the haves and have-nots here.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
double zero
Zilvia Member

double zero is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
^^^LOL easy to say when you live in the most beautiful city in America (in my opinion). I was actually looking at Chi-town as my next stop lol.

Whether you want to admit it or not NYC is the center of everything (which is part of what I hate about it). Yes dirty....yes RUDE people....but always the epicenter of most things with the catch 22 that you A-must be part of the "in crowd" and/or B-Must have money to afford the lifestyle. Huge discrepancy between the haves and have-nots here.
this is true. and the haves are pushing more of the have-nots out. the once only black neighborhood's are changing and the out of town yuppies are moving in. tearing down housing projects and replacing them with town homes.

yes if you don't have one of those "golden leases" where you've been in the same apt for 30+ years, you are victim to non rent control and stupid prices for just the "name" of nyc.

the car insurance is outrageous, the fucking people really can't drive. the parking attendants are Nazis. yea this kid is really gonna love it there.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #16
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Lol well put but even the Rent Control/Freeze apartments and contracts are not safe. My ex's family had to move out because the land lord won a legal battle in which her 700sq ft apartment in Greenpoint BK (above Williamsburg) was now $2400 a month compared to the $450 a month it had been for 22 years. As long as you have the right lawyers the land lord will win.

The full coverage on my Accord is about double what my uncle pays for 2 brand new cars fully insured in NC and i have a clean driving record. People here cant drive and those in NJ are worse lol. Parking is the last of the worries here. However, if I were filthy rich I would def have a place here because it is truly the city that never sleeps and always has something going on. Living here your whole life does drain you though so its an awesome time if its part time living. If you arent a hedge fund manager or banker or corporate lawyer or doctor.....prepare to have 2 jobs or be willing to work 30+hrs a week overtime to make ends meet.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
blkvrtswp
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
blkvrtswp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Try north New Jersey, and in NY Rockland, Putnam & Dutchess Counties. There you can have space & quiet at a good price but still be within a reasonable commute / drive to tons of jobs and events.

Forget the 5 boroughs and Long Island - high $$$ and parking trouble. Westchester is also double the cost of going north a little more.

You can find hugely varied rents and living options - just make sure you don't need to cross the Hudson river to commute to work - it's like $10+ EACH WAY and huge delays daily.
blkvrtswp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #18
stupidadult

stupidadult is an unknown quantity at this point
I love NY - I moved here a number of years ago from NH. Granted I had a lot more friends into tuning and space to actually do work, the scene is good out here.

I've been in the BMW, Z and Subaru scenes out here - all are descent. Met a lot of good people and tuners - though again, sucks not having space to wrench - I do a lot of shit cold, in my driveway.

As far as where - I wouldn't own a car if I lived in Manhattan - not worth it. I live in Brooklyn (11234) far enough out that you sorta need a car and I have place to put it.

As far as money - the jobs here are amazing - I'm in tech and make a solid living in the city (but save money by living outside it).

Florida is sorta ... well lacks any real culture and is super flat. At least you can do winter stuff in New England and even jersey (hunter, mountain creek) if you like that shit.

Also, NYC, best food in the USA, IMO.
stupidadult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:48 AM   #19
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

^^^^do agree about the food. Nothing like NY food and choices. I will miss bagels when I leave lol.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #20
Legend1515
Leaky Injector

Legend1515 is an unknown quantity at this point
I live in upstate ny. Which is great because im not far from the city and I get to work on my car outside my house or in my garage ..if you move here move to the surrounding areas outside of Manhattan or the 5 boroughs..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Legend1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #21
imarshall

imarshall is an unknown quantity at this point
You dont have to be in the city itself. You can move to somewhere in queens or some shit. Still close to the city. Apartments can be had for $900 if you look and have a good connection. I used to love hating my city til I took a road trip across america. As much as I hate people here, atleast they greet you with a "fuck you" in the morning and not a lynch.
imarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #22
nyrwd-lover

nyrwd-lover is an unknown quantity at this point
dude ny is beautiful and all but the roads are by far the worst in the US, i mean really bad specially in the winter but other than that NY rocks
nyrwd-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 02:42 AM   #23
rawgarage
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (75)
rawgarage is making a name for him/her selfrawgarage is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 75 reviews
Do it...shake things up a bit...
rawgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #24
Highway Riding
Zilvia Addict

Highway Riding is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by vl4bad View Post
exactly what he said^^

honestly NY is the worst place you can move to, too many tourists, too many people in general, everyone lives on top of each other, unless you can find a decent place with a good neighborhood you should be fine, but finding a place with a garage or parking lot area is not hard but more expensive. It takes alot of money & patience to live in the NYC area. especially if you have a low-ass car. Just be prepared to be dodging potholes like Neo from the matrix.
This! As a new father and car fanatic all i can say is that if i could sell my house tomorrow and move south it would be a no brainer. I'd even just break even on my home sale to speed up the process. But as a new father i'd prefer to stay close to our family for the next year or two. Bottom line is this area (worked in NYC for the past 15 years and live in NJ) has become IMHO the worst place in America. Everyone is on edge at all times. People try steal shizz left and right. Property values have plummeted and only are stable in the uber rich areas. Cost of living is another strike.