Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #1081
ejkisela
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
ejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura aboutejkisela has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I did. The only difference is the main motorsport venue here is a little difficult when it comes to certain things, like registration. There should be a new "pn2" class developing here for the Kyushu region, and I wouldn't mind participating in that. I can see myself dailying a Roadster, although I do enjoy the idea of racing one. I am tightening up. The red car would have actually been ideal, as the suspension and power were well suited to that type of racing. The Integra R has to go, I sold the red 180, and the ae86 I am up in the air about. One of the main reasons for not going with the new 86 was the engine as I am not too fond of boxers after owning a gc8 sti 3. The other aspect is my close "relationship" with the ae86 chassis. Oh well. I am thinking about selling my te37 with almost no road time and talking with the Toyota dealer again. Last time the wait was 6 months. I stopped thinking about the prospect of dailying a Elise, although I really do enjoy the idea of ownership. Compromise. The black car is getting painted super red 5. The turbo might be changed out to a bolt on type. I want to move, but the job is holding me here....frustration. I also don't like the idea of the gov owning my car as it will be y plate. Too many decisions Rae.
ejkisela is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #1082
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
These are getting pretty cheap now guys...

About $17k for the 2010's... RWD, factory turbo'd and still gets no love around here.

I've become and MUCH bigger fan of the easier to mod pre-facelifted GC's nowadays.

Would take this over a stripped down $20k FRS in a heartbeat. So underrated.
The problem that car you are showing has $20k into it. (slight exaggeration).

Ok - $17k GC

Exhaust - $700
Turbo - $1200
Manifold - $600
FMIC - $1000
Injectors - $600
Tune - $600
Coils - $1200
Body Kit - $1500
Install + Paint - $1500
Other BS (Gauges, oil lines ect) - $1000

Already at $9,900... and we don't even have baller wheels or rubber yet, so anywhere from $1,500 for Rotas on chinese tires to $4,000 for a brand new legit setup. When it's all done you have $11,000 to $15,000 into a car that is still only making 400whp and weighs as much as a Mustang GT. Stock for Stock a 350Z destroys the turbo Genie.

..could have had a Porsche.

With these in the Mid-20's, it's really hard to look the other way.

Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #1083
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
The problem that car you are showing has $20k into it. (slight exaggeration).

Ok - $17k GC

Exhaust - $700
Turbo - $1200
Manifold - $600
FMIC - $1000
Injectors - $600
Tune - $600
Coils - $1200
Body Kit - $1500
Install + Paint - $1500
Other BS (Gauges, oil lines ect) - $1000

Already at $9,900... and we don't even have baller wheels or rubber yet, so anywhere from $1,500 for Rotas on chinese tires to $4,000 for a brand new legit setup. When it's all done you have $11,000 to $15,000 into a car that is still only making 400whp and weighs as much as a Mustang GT. Stock for Stock a 350Z destroys the turbo Genie.

..could have had a Porsche.

With these in the Mid-20's, it's really hard to look the other way.

http://www.wheelsupgrade.com/shop/im...nt-500x500.jpg
This age-old debate again. Sure. You can buy a stock Porsche if you want. Some ppl don't want that. Just like some ppl would rather build a 240sx instead of just buy a Z32/Z33/Z34, Supra or whatever alternative.

That's fine if ppl keep ignoring the GC. It'll just make them easier to pick up down the road and build for cheap. Just like a 240.
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #1084
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
This age-old debate again. Sure. You can buy a stock Porsche if you want. Some ppl don't want that. Just like some ppl would rather build a 240sx instead of just buy a Z32/Z33/Z34, Supra or whatever alternative.
I'm aware of the new vs old, stock vs modified argument. I'm making it over in the "future zilvia" thread as well.

Quote:
That's fine if ppl keep ignoring the GC. It'll just make them easier to pick up down the road and build for cheap. Just like a 240.
What I'm simply getting at is why the GC is not popular. The FRZ is a great looking car stock, it has AMAZING driving dynamics, is affordable and is proving to be an awesome platform to build on.

The GC, while factory turboed, is a heavy car with driving dynamics more comparable to a Mustang. The original version was unattractive and the updated version is a complete abortion.

To me, the lack of stock power, the so-so driving dynamics and rather horrific visual appearance simply adds up to "no love" for the GC. Yes they CAN make power, yes they CAN look great and yes the CAN handle great, but like I've said many times, you are now in the $11,000 to $15,000 in mods and lots of personal time and labor.

The end result just do not justify the PITA. Once the car is $5,000 however, then sure, it would be a great car to play with, but at $17k to $27k it just doesn't make any sense, on any level.

On a personal note, the car was a huge let down. I had great hopes for it. Both in terms of styling (the Tiburon was not bad looking), price (mustang v6 money) and potential (evo engine!?). However, as I watched them roll out, test drove them and followed some of the development I just began to despise the car as a miserable failure. Then the 270hp version was release, however it was also update with Hyundai's new revolting front end.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #1085
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
^^^I don't disagree with any of that. But inversely, those things don't kill the deal for me. For me, reputation of GDM cars high priced maintenance causes me to really think twice about seriously considering them.

For me, I'd rather deal with those elements from the GC than trying to duplicate those results with the FRS/BRZ. Some of those items you listed in your hypothetically build list either wouldn't actually need upgrading or you could snag them when an Evo X user was done with their stock components for some inexpensive upgrades. The first gen does not need an another manifold. There are bolt on options.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #1086
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
^^^I don't disagree with any of that. But inversely, those things don't kill the deal for me. For me, reputation of GDM cars high priced maintenance causes me to really think twice about seriously considering them.

For me, I'd rather deal with those elements from the GC than trying to duplicate those results with the FRS/BRZ. Some of those items you listed in your hypothetically build list either wouldn't actually need upgrading or you could snag them when an Evo X user was done with their stock components for some inexpensive upgrades. The first gen does not need an another manifold. There are bolt on options.
A: What is "GDM".

B: Wasn't the 215hp Genesis on a "turbo-fold" or something?

Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #1087
simmode1
Post Whore!

German Domestic Market. Just some shit I made up and guessed it would be easy enough for folks to figure out.

The 2013+ 2.0T is the one with the integrated turbo+manifold. the 2010 - 2012's can accept bolt on turbos and is the model to shop for, IMO. Alot of them are slapping on 2871R's just like us.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #1088
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
German Domestic Market. Just some shit I made up and guessed it would be easy enough for folks to figure out.
EDM or Euro would be the correct term, however that's more a "market thing". I typically just reference "German Engineering" when talking about the mechanical, ahem, complexities and eccentricities of German cars.

German, and for that, most European, Engineers have a very different school of thought when designing something. This often leaves many of us shade tree mechanics to go "WHAT THE FUCK!!!"
Old 11-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #1089
simmode1
Post Whore!

^^^Yeah man, you REALLY gotta pay to play with German cars. I dig the performance, but the maintenance aspect scares me away, just like rotaries.