Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #61
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You don't even need a booth to get a good paint job, you can paint outside or in a garage with some poly put up. This car was painted outside in the middle of July and I spent $400 on materials...

and I've done other "$4000 paint jobs" with limited funds materials and no real spray booth. Just quit being a lazy hipster kid who wants to copy some bullshit they see at a local gas station stancer meet to follow yet another trend. You know it doesn't actually look good but are afraid to admit otherwise.

If you paint outside or in a garage just plan to wetsand and buff it afterwards. And paint doesn't have to be expensive and it is NOT hard if you follow a good step by step and get some pro tips. Look in the DIY paint and bodywork thread I've posted a lot of useful info in there along with the original poster and others who do a lot of body/paint. There is really no argument for plasti dipping a car.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #62
slidewayz240
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
slidewayz240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
You don't even need a booth to get a good paint job, you can paint outside or in a garage with some poly put up. This car was painted outside in the middle of July and I spent $400 on materials...

and I've done other "$4000 paint jobs" with limited funds materials and no real spray booth. Just quit being a lazy hipster kid who wants to copy some bullshit they see at a local gas station stancer meet to follow yet another trend. You know it doesn't actually look good but are afraid to admit otherwise.

If you paint outside or in a garage just plan to wetsand and buff it afterwards. And paint doesn't have to be expensive and it is NOT hard if you follow a good step by step and get some pro tips. Look in the DIY paint and bodywork thread I've posted a lot of useful info in there along with the original poster and others who do a lot of body/paint. There is really no argument for plasti dipping a car.

^^^^ all that!
slidewayz240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #63
OneSicSilvia
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
OneSicSilvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It amazes me how many people talk shit about plastidip when they are feeding false info about it, and just bandwagoning "reasons" why not too do it. I'm sure a few people gibbering on about how "bad" it will look are driving spray bombed turds or multi colored shit anyways. Facts are, YES it can look good, they have a vast selection of colors to choose from now, and when not purchased in spray cans, it is pre thinned to be sprayed via the gallons. It lays down flat like paint does. When sprayed that way via 5-6 coats you get a VERY durable shell on the car that can be removed without hassle. The Glossifier works pretty damn good. Gives the dip a pretty good gloss coat that looks great. The point of this stuff is to Avoid destroying good paint if you have good paint still. Yes it WILL save your good paint. It is also a relatively cheap alternative to booth painting with good paint. No I dont want to hear about how "awesome" your outside of a booth paint job is. Your orange peel would disagree. The other plus to Dipping is NO SANDING and dick for prep work / dry time / cleanup. I'm a body guy, and Yes this stuff is pretty damn nice for the price vs painting. And I get bored of colors fast, so It's a good alternative. I say do what you want man. Dont like it?, peel it off. Good luck doing that with paint lol.

P.S. Painting your car is just following the crowd too. SMH... Theres a trend for EVERY direction in this scene. Even dick riding a style. Fuck.
OneSicSilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #64
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
pasti dip is the wackest stuff ever. period. worse than vinyl wrapping and I hate vinyl wrappedd cars.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #65
Megin
Leaky Injector

Megin is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, no matter how much you get your brain caved in by the members, it is your car and your decisions in the end, go with what you want to go with... Nobody gives a flying f*ck in the end. If you want to please others though, now that's another issue.

I like how the non-booth jobs posted on this thread look, shows how a decent job can be done when one is arsed to do such.

For me (and, well, you guessed it, that's my opinion), I only like the camo green, and that is because I want a matte olive-grease green colour on my car, and to be fair, I will be doing a plasti-dip job when I get a new body kit. That is purely because I don't like the mismatched paint and this daytona blue I got now is just annoying to the eye with all the stains and chips on it, but then again, I'll paint it properly when I'm done with the exterior of the car as well.

Just a friendly advice (as a mate of mine tried going that way as well), stay the bloody hell away from rattle cans (paint and plasti-dip), and black, seriously, that shit is nasty...
Megin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #66
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSicSilvia View Post
It amazes me how many people talk shit about plastidip when they are feeding false info about it, and just bandwagoning "reasons" why not too do it. I'm sure a few people gibbering on about how "bad" it will look are driving spray bombed turds or multi colored shit anyways. Facts are, YES it can look good, they have a vast selection of colors to choose from now, and when not purchased in spray cans, it is pre thinned to be sprayed via the gallons. It lays down flat like paint does. When sprayed that way via 5-6 coats you get a VERY durable shell on the car that can be removed without hassle. The Glossifier works pretty damn good. Gives the dip a pretty good gloss coat that looks great. The point of this stuff is to Avoid destroying good paint if you have good paint still. Yes it WILL save your good paint. It is also a relatively cheap alternative to booth painting with good paint. No I dont want to hear about how "awesome" your outside of a booth paint job is. Your orange peel would disagree. The other plus to Dipping is NO SANDING and dick for prep work / dry time / cleanup. I'm a body guy, and Yes this stuff is pretty damn nice for the price vs painting. And I get bored of colors fast, so It's a good alternative. I say do what you want man. Dont like it?, peel it off. Good luck doing that with paint lol.

P.S. Painting your car is just following the crowd too. SMH... Theres a trend for EVERY direction in this scene. Even dick riding a style. Fuck.
If it was so good it would have replaced traditional auto paint by now, but it is not that great, and hasn't, and won't.

Also with the way this scene is going, painting your car the right way is standing out from the crowd and going a different route not often traveled, with all the multi colored and rattle canned cars out there. So your last argument is pretty weak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #67
bc.
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think you should find out what you really want to do, instead of wasting money on something that isn't gonna look good in the first place. If you want a two tone car, you should want it for the long haul, unless you are a girl and want to change skirts all the time.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #68
FaLKoN240
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (73)
FaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfectionFaLKoN240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
PAINT IS SO MAINSTREAM BRO. Even auto manufacturers are doing it.
FaLKoN240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #69
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

BoostSlideWayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
Just for the record, instead of plasti-dip you could do this:

I painted this about 3 years ago with about $300 worth of base, clear and primer, in my garage, with a $20 dollar harbor freight gun. The whole process took about 2 weeks after colorsanding.

Now, after getting results like this, with relatively CHEAP materials and a little bit of work leads me to believe that anyone who rattlecans or plasti-dips their car
A) Is a lazy bum that loves to peel money off of his car in 3 months or
B) Loves driving around cars that look like baked asshole

But by all means, continue to make 240s look shittier instead of investing some time and effort.

I would love to consider something like this because i have an HVLP gun a really nice qualty one. however i live on a dirt drive way where its soo dusty that im scared to attempt it because every 10 minutes dust builds up like crazy... so its hard to even get a decent finish like this given the area it would be attempted on.

Ultimately im actually looking for someone i can affiliate my self with that has a garage so i can atleast just borrow it for a couple days....haha

I have a good quality primer from Kustom Kolors and its a really nice primer.. just gotta find a clean dust free area to attempt it.

If i were to attempt this in my drive way only thing i can think of is watering it frequently to keep the dust down but do you think its worth trying there ?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #70
Oakville
Zilvia Junkie

Oakville is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
Asks for opinion>

Doesn't get opinion desired>

Mad>

MFW
quoted for truth. cant stand that. If you want someones opinion on it, say it. This guys fishing for people to tell him its a good idea, when he doesnt get that response its no bueno. Zar may be blunt but he speaks the truth.

Again from experience, it will be shit. it will look like shit, it wont last, and you will regret it. Spray bomb it if thats the case, or take it to Maaco and ask for the special.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:03 AM   #71
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaLKoN240 View Post
PAINT IS SO MAINSTREAM BRO. Even auto manufacturers are doing it.
Tempted to replace one of my sig quotes with this.
Quote:

Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #72
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i like this one

jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #73
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Even exotics look worse with matte paint, vinyl wrap, plastic dip, etc. compared to regular automotive paint.

what makes using it on a 240sx a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #74
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
That Porsche looks like shit.

Not to mention what the owner of said Porsche paid to have said shitty job done probably costs more than a low end paint job.

So I still don't see justification in this peasant logic.

Expectations:

Reality:
!Zar! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #75
pacotaco345
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
pacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond reputepacotaco345 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostSlideWayz View Post
I would love to consider something like this because i have an HVLP gun a really nice qualty one. however i live on a dirt drive way where its soo dusty that im scared to attempt it because every 10 minutes dust builds up like crazy... so its hard to even get a decent finish like this given the area it would be attempted on.

Ultimately im actually looking for someone i can affiliate my self with that has a garage so i can atleast just borrow it for a couple days....haha

I have a good quality primer from Kustom Kolors and its a really nice primer.. just gotta find a clean dust free area to attempt it.

If i were to attempt this in my drive way only thing i can think of is watering it frequently to keep the dust down but do you think its worth trying there ?
I would say water down the driveway and put plastic down under the car. If possible rig up some kind of carport (you can make it with some 2x4 and a couple tarps for < $50 then go to town.

Here's the best picture I have of what the garage looked like when we shot paint:
Old 04-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #76
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacotaco345 View Post
I would say water down the driveway and put plastic down under the car. If possible rig up some kind of carport (you can make it with some 2x4 and a couple tarps for < $50 then go to town.
Or use PVC piping and number it with a diagram so you can take it down really easy and store it for future use. Who knows you may be good at it and can make a little money.
Quote:

Old 04-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #77
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Chain link fence panels with poly secured to them work well if you paint outside

Old 04-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #78
Cheesy Doriftos
Zilvia Member

Cheesy Doriftos is an unknown quantity at this point
plasti-dip is the worst trend out right now

real paint will always look better than plasti-shit, even low quality maaco paint jobs.

but it's your car . if you want it to look like garbage then by all means go ahead.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #79
driftsilvias13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (54)
driftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nicedriftsilvias13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
I LOVE ZAR's expectations and reality pictures. Its true. That Porsche photo is edited like crazy to hide the imperfections.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #80
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I plasti dipped my mud flaps so they wouldn't be that whitish-gray faded color. I wouldn't go any further than that with it.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #81
Drift N Dragg
Username Monster!

Trader Rating: (14)
Drift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud ofDrift N Dragg has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
More so disgusted. Much like how a dog owner reacts when they notice a dog about to eat some shit off the ground because the dog thinks its a good idea.
This - Right there - I almost shit myself I laughed so hard!!!! That is a whole new level of AWESOME!

2015 Subaru STI
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
A Ton of Projects
Drift N Dragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 PM   #82
KOUKIboy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
KOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-knownKOUKIboy is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Zar's Expectation - Reality post winner!!!! I laughed so hard!!!! I still don't understand why people keep posting asking for Zilvia's opinion on what to do to their damn cars, it's your car, it's your money fuck it!!! what, you need the internets approval!?!
Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #83
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamg View Post
What is it with the epidemic of people doing dumb ugly things to high-end cars? It seems to especially be prevalent in the 'luxury' car community.

People buy an already great-looking car that does not need much to look fantastic. Yet they insist on modding it, and it just gets worse and worse. Now we are seeing stupid-colored 'satin' BMW's and Lamborghinis and GTR's with Sharpee paint jobs all over the internet, and the worst thing is that parts companies and even the automakers themselves are starting to cater to this tacky crowd with no taste.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:36 AM   #84
FRpilot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
It seems to especially be prevalent in the 'luxury' car community.

I believe that saying goes "Much more money than sense"

Reminds me of guys who buy cars that come with forged wheels stock, but goes out and spends money to put ADRs on their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:53 AM   #85
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
What is it with the epidemic of people doing dumb ugly things to high-end cars? It seems to especially be prevalent in the 'luxury' car community.

People buy an already great-looking car that does not need much to look fantastic. Yet they insist on modding it, and it just gets worse and worse. Now we are seeing stupid-colored 'satin' BMW's and Lamborghinis and GTR's with Sharpee paint jobs all over the internet, and the worst thing is that parts companies and even the automakers themselves are starting to cater to this tacky crowd with no taste.
people with high end cars are wrapping their cars in vinyl all the time. call up any company that does wrapping and they'll say they are booked for a while. plasti dip is just an alternative for them to protect their paint. I would dip a GT3 or GTR if i tracked it often.

do whatever you want to do with your money.
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #86
s14SRguy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
s14SRguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:

like Zar said, THEIR FUCKING PESANTS MAN, PEASANTS WHO DRIVE FUCKING SUPERCARS I bet they drink MD 20/20 and Night Train while eating hot Cheetos instead of drinking fine wine and eating expensive steak dinners, right?

I like how all these zilvia kids like to act all uppity and rich and shit, "fresh paint job fool" when all these cats with nice cars are like ima wrap/dip this shit! haha..nobody seems to understand the 'protect whats underneath' factor. plus it stands out from the rest.

You can spend a more on a paint job, be hated by a small percentage of zilvia because of the color or some shit, and have less money, or you can get a cheaper alternative, still be hated by a small percentage of zilvia, and have more money.
Either way haters gonna hate, fuck em, its your ride, your life, your decisions. no matter what, there's always those motherfuckers who are 'always right' with responses they base on their own biased opinions, not facts. Its only blotchy if your retarded, you fuck up, or don't pay attention. if your friend has a body shop and can hook it up, do it. its only plasti dip, not like its gonna be a bitch to remove. I've seen more good dips than bad, but then again generally hang out with people who pay attention to what they're doing, and base their thoughts on facts they conclude from experience. Try it sometime.

I used to think it looked like shit too. I would have easily agreed with these people talking shit about it, Until I saw enough legit plasti dipped cars and used my brain to make more logical decisions based on facts. But I guess every car in the world that's plasti dipped is blotchy, uneven, and looks like total shit, because what do I know, I'm just a guy with 14 posts right. lol

Even if something doesn't suit my tastes, I'm not about to tell someone "oh fuck that don't do it because i think its stupid" I'm going to state the facts I know from experience.

Govt should start taxing ignorace.
s14SRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #87
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
Bunch of pussies in here
coupesallday! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #88
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupesallday! View Post
Bunch of pussies in here
And the biggest one I see is right here in this qoute.
Quote:

Old 04-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #89
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14SRguy View Post
Govt should start taxing ignorace.
Ignorance*
!Zar! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:23 AM   #90
s14SRguy
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
s14SRguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
haha you got me on that one, I'm not even going to edit that shit. however when I'm typing posts on my phone, it can be expected to miss a letter or two. thumbs are too big for small ass keyboard.

but respect on that. it made me laugh. I must say we may not agree in this thread, but you make many good points I agree with in many other threads, and I respect your debate skills and sense of humor, and "all the way or nothing at all" mentality, but I still think cheap alternatives don't make someone a peasant, even more when its on a car none of us on here can afford hahaha
s14SRguy is offline   Reply With Quote