Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #61
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
^I have a feeling those might be too long with adapters. If axles are too long they'll bind and likely pop the dust cover off getting grease everywhere.

Some good info here regarding axles.
http://www.nissanroadracing.com/show...?t=4746&page=6

Here are some lengths from that thread. I have some R32 GTST axles I can include to this list when I get around to measuring them.

S13 left - 23" compressed, 25" relaxed
S14 left - 23" compressed, 25" relaxed
J30 left - 23-3/8" compressed, 24-1/2" relaxed (early J30)
350Z left - 23-7/8" compressed, 24-3/4" relaxed
Z32NA left - 24-3/8" compressed, 25-1/2" relaxed
Q45 left - 25-1/8" compressed, 26" relaxed (early Q45)

S13 right - 25" compressed, 26-1/2" relaxed
S14 right - 25" compressed, 26-1/2" relaxed
J30 right - 25-1/4" compressed, 26-1/8" relaxed
350Z right - 25-1/2" compressed, 26-3/8" relaxed
Z32NA right - 26" compressed, 26-7/8" relaxed
Q45 right - 27" compressed, 27-7/8" relaxed
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #62
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
^I have a feeling those might be too long with adapters. If axles are too long they'll bind and likely pop the dust cover off getting grease everywhere.

Yep that's exactly what happened when I installed them, the axles are too long with the adapter plates. The CV's just came apart the first time I drove it.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:11 AM   #63
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
The kits I have seen say that you either need to have drop knuckles or next to 0 camber if you want the 350z axles to work properly without exploding.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #64
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook-E View Post
The kits I have seen say that you either need to have drop knuckles or next to 0 camber if you want the 350z axles to work properly without exploding.
I tried them with 0 camber tucking rim on 17's, no dice. The Get Nuts stub shafts with 350z axle pattern are the proper way unless you widen the rear track to accommodate the spacer thickness. They actually shorten the stubs so the axles fit properly.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #65
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
So anybody running 350z/370z rzeppa axles now that 6x2 to 6x1 adapter plates are available?
http://www.maverick-motorsports.com/...-axle-adapters

(sigh)

why anyone would run such a shitty product is totally beyond me. shit looks defective and ill-conceived right from the get-go.

if you surpass the limitations of the *all* the oem axles available, then man up and pay driveshaft shop for a proper axle setup. why waste your fucking time with these shitty adapters?
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:59 AM   #66
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
http://www.maverick-motorsports.com/...-axle-adapters

(sigh)

why anyone would run such a shitty product is totally beyond me. shit looks defective and ill-conceived right from the get-go.

if you surpass the limitations of the *all* the oem axles available, then man up and pay driveshaft shop for a proper axle setup. why waste your fucking time with these shitty adapters?
Yeah I made the mistake of buying them back when I posted that and finding out they don't work without a widened rear track width. The measurements they give on that site for required widths were not on there when I got them.

My only issue with driveshaft shop axles, is they are designed off of oem axle measurements, so on a lowered car I can see them having the same issue of stretched boots and overextended cv's no? That is unless you go with the Porshe 930 cv style axles. Basically overextending the cv's or exceeding the articulation that the cv can handle would most likely still cause problems no matter how much horsepower the axles are "rated" to handle.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #67
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
I tried them with 0 camber tucking rim on 17's, no dice. The Get Nuts stub shafts with 350z axle pattern are the proper way unless you widen the rear track to accommodate the spacer thickness. They actually shorten the stubs so the axles fit properly.

Yeah, when the time comes I'm going to drive down to their shop and have mine converted.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #68
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
My only issue with driveshaft shop axles, is they are designed off of oem axle measurements, so on a lowered car I can see them having the same issue of stretched boots and overextended cv's no? That is unless you go with the Porshe 930 cv style axles. Basically overextending the cv's or exceeding the articulation that the cv can handle would most likely still cause problems no matter how much horsepower the axles are "rated" to handle.
if you're having axle problems from being excessively lowered, have you considered.... wait for it.... not being so fucking low? its damn near 2016, people still havent figured out how lame it is to have a car that scoops shit up from the road, cant handle, and cant go over speed bumps?
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #69
Nissansota240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
Nissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really niceNissansota240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
if you're having axle problems from being excessively lowered, have you considered.... wait for it.... not being so fucking low? its damn near 2016, people still havent figured out how lame it is to have a car that scoops shit up from the road, cant handle, and cant go over speed bumps?
Old 09-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #70
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Well, I already raised my car since I had those problems And have been fine on oem axles since then. I was simply stating what I experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #71
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
*on Zilvia whining about low cars*
Old 09-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #72
hellaslows13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
hellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enoughhellaslows13 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Damn I am running those shitty maverick motorsports adapters. Kept breaking axles in the rear since I am running the pbm drop knuckle and rlca combo. Ran oem axles with gktech axle spacers which did not work. Figured I needed some longer axles and some with the better Rzeppa design so I went with the 350z axles + maverick motorsports adapters. I have not put too many miles on this setup so I can really give much feedback but for the few times I have driven/drifted on them they seemed to hold up okay. Only time will tell I guess.

Blew out a brand new oreilly reman axle with gktech 15mm spacer after 100 miles and some drifting. My ride height + 18x12.5 wheels dont help either..

My ride height

This is a very informative thread. I have learned a lot and like the contributions. Will update once I put more miles on this setup.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:13 PM   #73
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaslows13 View Post
Blew out a brand new oreilly reman axle with gktech 15mm spacer after 100 miles and some drifting.
+1 to those reman'd axles being crap.

My driver side axle (stock from '91 as far as I could tell) had play in both joints after being low and going to drift events for years. I put in an Autozone/Advance/whatever axle, lasted the 25-mile drive to the drift event and half a lap before completely nuking one of its CV joints.

I switched back to another original Nissan axle from a friend's parts stash and haven't had another issue since. *knocks on wood*
Old 09-24-2015, 05:59 PM   #74
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

I just want to make it clear because I'm tired of hearing people tell me to get drop knuckles.

Rear drop knuckles do absolutely nothing for axle problems, they only drop the suspension arms to correct geometry. It's physically impossible for the knuckle to have any effect on the location of the axle and hub, which is directly related to the center of the wheel.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:41 AM   #75
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Sforteen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
People should be checking how much free play are in the axles while at ride height if you going with wider track, ultra low (gay) or just changing your configuration in general.

Take the outer axle nut off and push axle thru the hub until it bottoms out, thats your free play.. i wouldn't want anymore than an Inch, the more you have beyond that the more likely you will have a failure.
Sforteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:23 AM   #76
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
^this x1000
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #77
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
soooooo is anyone running gktech rear knuckles with the maverick adapters and z33 axles? the gktech setup is supposed to have wider track than stock, and that should correct the issue, no?

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #78
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Orr get GetNuts or Villians z33 axle stub shafts, then you can run z33 axles without increasing track width.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #79
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Or buy my R200 VLSD with 6x1 output shafts.

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=614693
Old 11-28-2015, 08:54 PM   #80
RickS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
RickS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have a s14 with a late model q45 diff with j30 axles. I have a jz swap. Goal is around 700whp. Is this a good set up?
RickS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:55 PM   #81
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

what kinda of use does the car see?
Old 11-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #82
RickS14
Zilvia Member

Well I'm still building it. Mainly a street car.I would like to put some 1/4 times down for sure.
I did buy a set rear z32 wheels to run some bias plys.

Last edited by RickS14; 11-28-2015 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: Auto text
Old 11-29-2015, 01:06 AM   #83
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
@RICK...with a 700whp 2j and drag use you would ideally want the early Q45 3.54 diff swap with axle setup. If I am not mistaken these are 31 spline axles.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:50 AM   #84
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
@RICK...with a 700whp 2j and drag use you would ideally want the early Q45 3.54 diff swap with axle setup. If I am not mistaken these are 31 spline axles.
31 spline outers, 30 spline inners.

350Zs and GTRs after 93 are 31 spline inners.

Source: Tried to fit my Q45 stubs that I was using in a pre 93 GTR diff into a post 93 style OS Giken diff and it didn't work. Had to machine 350z stubs.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #85
RickS14
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchboost View Post
@luckyx2

Thanks guys. Sucks some parts are hard to find.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #86
2muchboost
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
2muchboost is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
@ lucky....good info. Never read into the GTR or 350z axles since I have the 3.54 diff swap and have never heard of one breaking.
2muchboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #87
Sforteen
Zilvia Junkie

im running R32 gtr axles in my S14 with an R230, the R230 is only 5/16 of an inch wider than an R200... so im sure r32 gtr axles would work fine with a 6x1 q45 setup

FYI Q45 from what i know is 30 spline.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #88
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
I have a set of LH Z32TT/LH Q45 axles for 240sx. PM me for more info.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #89
cnichols
Zilvia Member

cnichols is an unknown quantity at this point
Sent Driveshaft Shop two cheap (~$20/ea) early G50 Q45 axles from a junkyard and had them install their upgraded shafts. Paid them $50/each to do the install with new boots, etc. Worth every penny. For anyone looking to do a 3.54 Q diff though...it really is kind of sluggish through the gears now (with F-body T56). I can see the damn 1/4 line while I'm shifting into 4th. Making 440 wheel N/A (119 mph 1/4) and went 127mph on a progressive 75 shot, but still the wrong gearing (For me). But, yes, cruising on the highway under 2K rpms is not bad. One good thing about them is I suppose it's not hitting the tire as hard so you may get better traction.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import...r-upgrade-2193

Last edited by cnichols; 08-11-2016 at 03:26 PM..
cnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:17 PM   #90
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Just to clarify, stock 240sx axles, J30 axles, Z32NA, 350z axles etc are all 29-spline.

The Z32TT / G50 Q45 axles are 32-spline.