Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-28-2016, 12:40 AM   #1
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
rbpwrd240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Best Affordable Anti-Lag System

I have done a lot of looking around for an Anti lag system and I figured I would gather what I have found here and ask for a few opinions from those that have one of the following systems or something like it. I was looking for a system that would cut ignition at Rev limit for liftless shifting and act as a lunch controller with ignition cut. I would love rolling anti lag but I think that's out my my price range for now.

I want to clear a few things up right away.
1.) I don't care if this puts extra stress on the turbo and I don't care if I crack my manifold.

2.) The systems I have listed here are not true anti-lag systems or ALS as its called. These are more of an ignition/rpm controller. However the effects are similar in that they can build and or keep boost during launches and shifting by cutting the ignition instead of spark and allowing the turbo to build (some) boost instead of falling off.

Here are the systems I researched if you know of another system I should consider please feel free to mention it.

Gizzmo 2 Step
Con: Builds low boost on launch
Con: No Longer Available
Con: Doesn't cut Ignition at Rev limit for liftless shifting

Import Intelligent 2 step perfect launch
Pro: builds good boost
Con: No Longer Available
Con: Doesn't cut Ignition at Rev limit for liftless shifting

N2MB WOT Box
PRO: Cuts ignition at REV limit for liftless shifting, keeps boost pressure during shift
PRO: Very Decent Anti-Lag Function during launch
Con: Weakest fire works show out of the systems I have seen in action

Rush Racing Antilag Launch Controller
Pro: Great Launch controller builds good boost
Pro: Decent Fireworks Show at launch
Con: Doesn't cut ignition at rev limit for liftless shifting

Bee R Power Builder
Pro: Best Fireworks show
Pro: Builds Good Boost on Launch
Pro Cuts Ignition at Rev Limit for Liftless shifting
Con: Looks like a toy my kid would play with.

Expensive stand alone ECU systems such as the Apexi Power FC Pro, Pro EFI, Moetec and AEM infinity have been excluded at this point, although if it was easier to find a Power FC Pro with launch control for an R33 that would be what I would get unless I really wanted rolling anti-lag. If I was set on rolling anti-lag then one of the higher end AEM, Moetec or Pro EFI systems would be where I would go.

So from my research I think I am going to go with the Bee R Power Builder It does everything I want except rolling anti lag but I don't feel like ponying up the dough for those kind of features just yet. Please feel free to share you experience with these units, correct my information or list any other units I might not have looked at.

Cheers!!!!
rbpwrd240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #2
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Nice what series do you run?
Old 03-28-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Why do you need an anti lag? Just use nitrous, I hate to say it but its safer if you know what you are doing.
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Nice what series do you run?
Right now I am finishing the body with a full JDM K's Aero kit the interior is being converted to Black Leather heated seats with OEM S14 Switches the brakes are Z32 the suspension is Ohlins 32 way adj with Nismo arms and the rear end is Rzeppa 5x1 axles with S15 Helical and R34 Ouput shafts.

I figured I could get the Anti-Lag system now and use it with my junkyard KA-T setup that I am about to throw on the car for the mean time. Using 370cc injectors from a Q45, T-3 turbo from Z31 and CX Racing front mount with DSM 1st Gen B.O.V. the ar should be back together some tie around may with the KA-T setup and Im hoping to have the Built RB in around next May.

However, I am leaning toward a Series 2 R33. I have already started gathering parts for the GT3076r low mount setup. Shooting for 500WHP.

As per the nitrous I may run that too in the future but for now I am just playing with boost stuff.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #5
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpwrd240 View Post

However, I am leaning toward a Series 2 R33. I have already started gathering parts for the GT3076r low mount setup. Shooting for 500WHP.
ive had a series two with minor bolt ons gt3076r .63ar t3 welded flange on the stock manifold 40mm jgs wastegate 550 sidefeed inj, splitfire coils, power fc, z32 maf, aeromotive fpr in tank walboro 255 2.5 inch pipping big front mount apexi bov custom dp to a buddyclub spec two i know im missing a few things made 430whp on 22psi.... daily drove it for a couple years before it blew up! lol
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

Nice, I bet it was a blast!!!

I found an OEM skyline 6 bolt .86 AR hot side. Im hoping the extra flow will help me get to 500WHP. i know its a tough task with the gt3076r but I am hopeful I can do it with a full built engine and the larger hot side on the turbo.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
LockOn!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
LockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her selfLockOn! is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've had a BR before on a KA just for loud bang bang noises. Was fun, easy to install, doubt it ever would have shit out given its simplicity.

I know someone who ran one for over two years on an SR (regularly drifted), never had any turbo or manifold issues despite what all the nerds said.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:19 PM   #8
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
well that is a t2 frame backhousing and it will cause major backpressure high heat and that can potentially cause detonation of the motor prematurely i wouldnt go with anything smaller then a T3 .63ar. t2 .86 would flow a little less then a t3 .48ar which will lose steam around 6k or lower with the higher displacement RB25. i was making 14 psi on my 25 with the .63 housing at 3400 rpm and about 22 right below 3900rpm.....
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #9
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockOn! View Post
I've had a BR before on a KA just for loud bang bang noises. Was fun, easy to install, doubt it ever would have shit out given its simplicity.

I know someone who ran one for over two years on an SR (regularly drifted), never had any turbo or manifold issues despite what all the nerds said.
Generally those speaking of issues have never run one. Only issue I ever heard of was a gizzmo unit killing igniters. These systems arent true ALS so the damage is minimal if at all.

Anyone that HAS run one personally ever had issues? Buller??? Bueller???
Old 03-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #10
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpwrd240 View Post
Useless babble

As per the nitrous I may run that too in the future but for now I am just playing with boost stuff.
I meant what professional/amateur race series do you run in that you require advanced antilag. That parts list I think answers that.

Get a bee*r

Neat blue name, maybe I'll change mine one day....
Old 03-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #11
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
I meant what professional/amateur race series do you run in that you require advanced antilag. That parts list I think answers that.

Get a bee*r

Neat blue name, wish I could change the color of mine?
Ill be participating in auto-x, drag race, track days, Texas mile etc. Maybe the salt flats. Its really a family project. Its the first car that the fiance and kiddo will ever be around at race events hopefully it will be something for us to bond over. What I run in really depends where the build goes as far as safety specs. Mostly we will hit drag stuff on the weekends as the track is close to our house. Kiddo is 11 so I am hoping this will get him excited about his first car in a few years. I already have two Z32's that he can pick from. My goal was a 500WHP S14 street car with all the rare options.

As for my nifty blue color go support the forum that you love so much and your wishes will be answered.....
Old 03-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #12
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah ... funny thing with auto-x, drag races and so on - they have rules that you need to follow.

Running any kind of ALS "for cheap" and removing manifold and turbo price from the equation, that is just as much DIW. You may as well install a fuel injector at the muffler, it will do nice cool flames to impress your bros.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #13
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croustibat View Post
Yeah ... funny thing with auto-x, drag races and so on - they have rules that you need to follow.

Running any kind of ALS "for cheap" and removing manifold and turbo price from the equation, that is just as much DIW. You may as well install a fuel injector at the muffler, it will do nice cool flames to impress your bros.

Really? How...

They build boost during the launch and keep it during the shift. Doesn't sound wrong to me. But obviously you know more about the systems. Which one do you run?

Also what rules do drag strips have that would stop you from running one of these? A bunch of youtube videos and owners of said items would say none.....
Old 03-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #14
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
From my understanding, standalone ALS system are pretty much none existent. A true antilag has several aspects.

1) You need an exterior air injector source for the manifold. Or, keep the throttle and the overlap of intake and exhaust valves open while on the exhaust stroke. Either way works. But you need a way to control and adjust this.
2) You need a "controller" to inject fuel on the exhaust stroke
3) You need a "brain" to control it all

Now, there are several variations to a ALS system. However, the above rings through for the basics.

I am not sure there are any OTS available ALS system that does not require an ECU to run correctly, in addition to the air supply for the manifold. None of what you listed above applies and works as a true ALS system once in motion.

This is entirely NOT the same as what we refer to in the US as antilag or launch control. It erks me when people use the terms interchangeably as they are not one in the same. In addition, flat foot shift is NOT angilag, but an ignition cut initiated by the clutch engagement (typically with the use of a sensor or potentimeter. Same idea of what Sequential shifted cars use. They use a strain gauge on he gear lever to signal to the ECU when to cut ignition to allow shifting to occur).

The factory Evolutions 4-6 (and possibly the 7, 8 and 9) came from the factory with a fitted ALS system. Look into that if you want more details.

RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #15
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

^^^^ Must have missed this from the very first post.^^^^
"2.) The systems I have listed here are not true anti-lag systems or ALS as its called. These are more of an ignition/rpm controller. However the effects are similar in that they can build and or keep boost during launches and shifting by cutting the ignition instead of spark and allowing the turbo to build (some) boost instead of falling off. "
Old 03-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #16
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
So you have Best Affordable Anti-Lag Systems in the heading, then the the very first paragraph you say "I have done a lot of looking around for an Anti lag system and I figured I would gather what I have found here and ask for a few opinions from those that have one of the following systems or something like it in the first paragraph, then you go forth to say "these are NOT ALS systems"?!?!? So why not just call the thread "ignition interrupters"

My head hurts..........It's either it's a ALS or not a ALS.

Anti-lag or a derivation of, should NOT be in your post if you are not referring to a true ALS system or want to delve into it.....I did as you ask and delved into Anti lag systems

Again, this is the reason why it erks me when someone refers to any of above and use anti lag in the same posts.
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:33 PM   #17
rbpwrd240
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
So you have Best Affordable Anti-Lag Systems in the heading, then the the very first paragraph you say "I have done a lot of looking around for an Anti lag system and I figured I would gather what I have found here and ask for a few opinions from those that have one of the following systems or something like it in the first paragraph, then you go forth to say "these are NOT ALS systems"?!?!? So why not just call the thread "ignition interrupters"

My head hurts..........It's either it's a ALS or not a ALS.

Anti-lag or a derivation of, should NOT be in your post if you are not referring to a true ALS system or want to delve into it.....I did as you ask and delved into Anti lag systems

Again, this is the reason why it erks me when someone refers to any of above and use anti lag in the same posts.
I understand your frustrations it does make it difficult hence why I tried to make it clear in my first post. The thread title is made to gather attention and clicks so that we might get enough interest to drive interesting conversation.

The general terminology for these is anti-lag, launch controller etc. Due to marketing there is no singular term for these and most wouldn't know what your talking about by calling them what they are, ignition interrupters rpm controllers etc....

If you read the first post originally before posting I did explain this as I knew folks would be quick to nit pick.