Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-28-2007, 07:42 PM   #271
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Krinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_s13.5 View Post
as far as the corvette brake swap goes the factory vette rotors are 14 inch k sport offers 14 inch rotors for evos wonder if that would work and what the cost of those rotors would be
right now Im running racing brake 2-piece rotors on the fronts, Im sure they could also drill the hats to 5X114 though Im not sure the offset would be the same.
Krinkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2007, 08:13 PM   #272
zugoi
Zilvia Junkie

zugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to beholdzugoi is a splendid one to behold
damn the z06 upgrade seems like overkill to me
Old 12-28-2007, 10:06 PM   #273
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Krinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugoi View Post
damn the z06 upgrade seems like overkill to me
for a 240? yes they would be. But they look nice

Im starting a fleet!

Old 01-19-2008, 12:10 AM   #274
rhd

rhd is an unknown quantity at this point
the z06 brakes are CRAP, if you ever track the car.

they're littered with issues.

go read up on them before trying to use them....they aren't horribly cheap for no reason at all.
rhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:47 AM   #275
soreballz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
soreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfectionsoreballz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to soreballz
^^Care to enlighten the uneducated masses?
Last time I checked this is a Zilvia not a fucking group session to deal with self-esteem issues where everyone is a winner and cares about you, your individuality and lack of taste.
soreballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:50 AM   #276
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd View Post
the z06 brakes are CRAP, if you ever track the car.

they're littered with issues.

go read up on them before trying to use them....they aren't horribly cheap for no reason at all.
You're right, alot of the Z06 guys that track them switch them out to stoptechs, though the biggest gripe with the brakes is the rotors. GM saved 10 cents by using the same directional vented rotor on both sides, so one side is vented correctly,directs heat out of the rotor, and the other side vents heat INTO the rotor. Way to go GM
Needless to say the right rotors crack after a couple track days. Im using Racing Brake 2-piece rotors so thats not an issue. The other two problems are some what minor, the stock pads are crap for track use, but what do you expect, and having 6 little pads, like the Endless brakes, instead of 2 big ones makes for a bit more headaches swapping them out for track days. Also the screw in pins that hold the pads in use a hex head fitting that are difficult to get out after a track session if seize up, racing brack also sells an upgraded set of pins with a 10mm head that is much easier to service.

All in all, I think the fuss over the Z06 brakes was a bit overinflated. If you upgraded the pads/rotors/pins on the Z06 brakes for less than a grand you would get about 90% of the performance of the $6K Stoptech setup. And again, this would only be something that the hardcore road racer would find issue with, on the street and backroads these brakes work and feel great no matter what, but theres some ballers on the Z06 forums that can afford to throw out perfectly good parts and drop many thousand to chase that extra couple of tenths. For fun check out some of the Dubai members threads
Old 02-06-2008, 02:21 AM   #277
240sxracerb25
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
240sxracerb25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So if i understand this correctly....Would the best bet be 300zx rotors front and back with sti calipers or evo fronts with 300zx rears and sti calipers? What would you guys recommend be the best setup?
240sxracerb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:25 AM   #278
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
Dude whatever you can afford.

Just make sure the fluid is fresh, lines are good, seals are in shape, and use high quality pads.

Porterfield, Project Mu, Endless, Performance Friction Compound. All Good pads.

Stay away from; Hawks, EBC, Auto Parts store.

Get a infrared thermo, take temps, feel for brake fade.

Most people don't need bigger brake setups (alex pfeiffer, runs stock s13 calipers/rotors). So drive the car until you need them.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:18 AM   #279
dynamicck
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to beholddynamicck is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinkov View Post
for a 240? yes they would be. But they look nice

Im starting a fleet!

damn i hate vettes, but i love black Z06's.
black on black is the only way to go!
dynamicck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:58 AM   #280
240sxracerb25
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
240sxracerb25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngriff View Post
Dude whatever you can afford.

Just make sure the fluid is fresh, lines are good, seals are in shape, and use high quality pads.

Porterfield, Project Mu, Endless, Performance Friction Compound. All Good pads.

Stay away from; Hawks, EBC, Auto Parts store.

Get a infrared thermo, take temps, feel for brake fade.

Most people don't need bigger brake setups (alex pfeiffer, runs stock s13 calipers/rotors). So drive the car until you need them.
alright thanks i'll probably just go with z32 rotors and calipers then and some nice pads then if i ever see fit to get sti or just have extra money to spend then i'll go sti..thanks for the advice man
240sxracerb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:01 AM   #281
i need tires
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
i need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to alli need tires is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to i need tires
i will be gettin sti front calipers here soon! nice write up!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 AM   #282
HS13KLS
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
HS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant futureHS13KLS has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
yea...thost z06 WOULD be overkill i mean damn...im satisfied with the 300zx brakes..lol
HS13KLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #283
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinkov View Post
You're right, alot of the Z06 guys that track them switch them out to stoptechs, though the biggest gripe with the brakes is the rotors. GM saved 10 cents by using the same directional vented rotor on both sides, so one side is vented correctly,directs heat out of the rotor, and the other side vents heat INTO the rotor. Way to go GM
Needless to say the right rotors crack after a couple track days. Im using Racing Brake 2-piece rotors so thats not an issue. The other two problems are some what minor, the stock pads are crap for track use, but what do you expect, and having 6 little pads, like the Endless brakes, instead of 2 big ones makes for a bit more headaches swapping them out for track days. Also the screw in pins that hold the pads in use a hex head fitting that are difficult to get out after a track session if seize up, racing brack also sells an upgraded set of pins with a 10mm head that is much easier to service.

All in all, I think the fuss over the Z06 brakes was a bit overinflated. If you upgraded the pads/rotors/pins on the Z06 brakes for less than a grand you would get about 90% of the performance of the $6K Stoptech setup. And again, this would only be something that the hardcore road racer would find issue with, on the street and backroads these brakes work and feel great no matter what, but theres some ballers on the Z06 forums that can afford to throw out perfectly good parts and drop many thousand to chase that extra couple of tenths. For fun check out some of the Dubai members threads
Great feedback on the c6 stuff. I've read up about upgrading to c6 z06 parts on the c5 z06, but went with a nice set of Baer 2 piece rotors with stock calipers/nice pads because I found it used for cheap

The reason they went with 6 little pads is because single pads that are that long have a tendency to warp (under serious load), making the pad sit unevenly on the rotor and killing the pad prematurely... for instance, Suzuki used identical calipers and rotors on the 03 gsxr1k as the 04+ gsxr1k, but the 03's work better/last longer under abuse because they are 4 piston/4 pad instead of 4 piston/2 pad (per side). Sure sucks about the vents being identical/one facing the wrong way though.

Anyhow, great thread, and thanks for keeping everyone updated

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:08 AM   #284
dorby
Leaky Injector

dorby is an unknown quantity at this point
any info on the availability of front brembo adapter brackets???????? i got brembo calipers.....now i need some brackets ...someone help me out =)

help me fill these 19s with some brakes!!

dorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:13 AM   #285
PuffinPuffer
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (-1)
PuffinPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
nice install! i need to save for something like thissss
Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 PM   #286
rps13sr20det
Leaky Injector

rps13sr20det is making a name for him/her selfrps13sr20det is making a name for him/her self
I can't wait for the vette upgrade
Old 03-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #287
Gumballf355
Zilvia Addict

Gumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Gumballf355
I want some brackets too.
I was talking with Brian from JspecMotorsport the other day and wanted him to put Z32 and Sti/Evo brake pads side by side for a footprint comparison. (I was just curious) This is what he came up with using Project Mu pads he had in stock.

Last edited by Gumballf355; 03-31-2008 at 07:24 AM..
Gumballf355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #288
Gumballf355
Zilvia Addict

Gumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to behold
When it's in front of you, the difference in footprint is obviously huge.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #289
racer98
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (128)
racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 128 reviews
Send a message via AIM to racer98 Send a message via MSN to racer98
if you guys do any hard driving and notice a brake fade issue and after going to the brembo set up use a 2 peice hat and rotor set up from a z33 track edt. and use the g37s rear caliper and rotors 13.8 rear.

oooooooooooooooooooooh !
racer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:54 PM   #290
an_orange_s2k
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
an_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond reputean_orange_s2k has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
nice write up...this is sick
an_orange_s2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #291
SR2oD3T
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
SR2oD3T is making a name for him/her selfSR2oD3T is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via MSN to SR2oD3T
i've done my front and rear sti brembo caliper with working e brake from 300zx. i made my brackets for the front. took me a couple of times when trying to make one. its not extremely hard to do it, but it takes time. put it in mind that it doesnt need to look good. my bracket are ugly but it does its' job. just go get a metal bar and use any method to make the clearance for the hub. get a drill press and drill four holes, tap 2 of it, also get some 10.9 grade bolts and u are almost done. i really enjoy the braking power with my 300zx MC upgrade. also, dont forget to put wider tires infront. it locks up my 245/40/17 front tires. but after i put brand new tires in front, its just perfect. u can stop ur 240 with 400whp easily.
thx a lot for this write up. here's a picture of the front.

KELvin
SR2oD3T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:07 AM   #292
Gumballf355
Zilvia Addict

I'm the guy who tried buying those brackets you made... any chance you'd make anymore? Any tips on making them?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #293
SR2oD3T
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
SR2oD3T is making a name for him/her selfSR2oD3T is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via MSN to SR2oD3T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumballf355 View Post
I'm the guy who tried buying those brackets you made... any chance you'd make anymore? Any tips on making them?
yea i rmb u called me couple times but didnt show up. those were just an extra pair that i made. didnt plan to make any money out of it because i wasnt the one who come up with all of this. its not that hard to make it. just go to some metal shop, get the right size u need according to the info here. let them cut a couple piece u need(i bought 4). drilling holes with a press drill is easy. taping is not that hard either. the hardest part is to grind off the center to clear the hub(it doesnt need to be beautiful) or u can pay for some shop to cut it for u, but i asked, they were like $90 a piece for just cutting the hub clearance.
other than that, grinding on the front dust shell is reqired but its easy if u have the right tools.
good luck.

*thats my dad helping me to grind the bracket.....
KELvin
SR2oD3T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #294
Gumballf355
Zilvia Addict

Brakes look baller on your s13... I gotta get off my ass and get this done. I have all the major parts except the bracket. Been so busy.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #295
C-unit
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
C-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to allC-unit is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
For whoever is doing a Z06 caliper swap. Project mu makes 355mmx32mm 2 piece rotors for their racing 6 brake set up. I believe u can get the rotor seperately. The model for the set up is for R34 so the center hub will be a perfect fit.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #296
lilredstiffy
Zilvia Addict

lilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to lilredstiffy Send a message via AIM to lilredstiffy
sti calipers and evo rotors!

KEEP CHARLIE MERCER BANNED HES A GOOD FOR NOTHING RACIST
lilredstiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #297
fd3s14

fd3s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
aw man i already spend my money on z32 brakes.
fd3s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #298
florante rea
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (43)
florante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of lightflorante rea is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 43 reviews
Send a message via AIM to florante rea Send a message via Yahoo to florante rea
anyone interested on the brackets, pm me. i have few sets left, custom made and clears the hub, no more mods needed.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #299
racer98
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (128)
racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 128 reviews
Send a message via AIM to racer98 Send a message via MSN to racer98
Quote:
Originally Posted by florante rea View Post
anyone interested on the brackets, pm me. i have few sets left, custom made and clears the hub, no more mods needed.
please hook me up btw I have some more parts in case your intrested ??????

thanks
k
racer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:13 PM   #300
holemilk00
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (33)
holemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the roughholemilk00 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
For anyone wondering, I worked and worked and worked on getting the Zo6 calipers to fit. I got the mounts made up, but in order to get the damn things to clear I was going to have to stick with 18" and up rims, plus after doing the math on both the stopping power, and the cost, it wasn't going to be worth it. I have since sold the calipers to a guy with a plain Jane C6 vette. So anyone else thinking of trying this, its just not worth it, the off set of the calipers is pretty drastic, so the type of brackets I was going to have to make were only going to be safe if I had them CNC'd or made of cast, just two pieces of steel wielded together to get it right was an accident waiting to happen, and one place where I'm not going to put shady fab work is on my brakes. Knowing my luck I'd hit an old woman or a soccer mom with a van full of kids. With that said, anyone else is welcome to try this, I'll give all the info I can with what I came up with. But I just don't see it being worth it for brakes that are basically going to be just for looks. Like it was said above about the evo/sti brembos, those are locking up nice sized front tires, these are just over kill like you couldn't believe. I was uneducated and jumped on something without thinking.
holemilk00 is offline   Reply With Quote