Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #721
Silviacraze05jr
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
Silviacraze05jr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hey guys I lost info on my yahoo account, meaning im having password retieval . I can not log in to my profile(florante rea). Anyone got questions about my evo or sti brackets hit me up. 4846858225 is my number. U guys can also contact me on fb, jr darang rea.
Silviacraze05jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #722
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
another reason to go with evo calipers is that they the leading and trailing pistons would be used correctly on the s-chassis knuckles. This is for better brake modulation and prevents a more "twitchy" braking feel if I remember correctly. I know of guys running STi calipers w/out any issues, but this is something to think about.
Nope - staggered pistons (larger one on the bottom for a front mounted caliper) keep the pads from tapering when you use them hard. They can lead to slightly reverse taper if you never get on the brakes hard, so don't be with your braking.

Staggered piston sizes are good at the track though, definitely help with pad taper.
Old 05-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #723
stockbee
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
stockbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to stockbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinkov View Post
stock rear.

and it BOLTS RIGHT UP!! it needs a 3mm spacer here for the correct offset, you need to trim/remove the dust cover thats all, the brembo brake line even screws right in!
This is a question to anyone really.

BACKGROUND: I've done some extensive searching on the parts necessary to do a STI caliper on the rear of an S14 and I'm coming up with some conflicting information.

What I'm running.

-Stock S14 rear knuckle/hub assembly
-STi Rear Calipers
-Z32 DBA one piece slotted rear rotors.
-Hawk rear pads.
-S14 stainless stoptech rear brake lines.

My Question: I've seen on several threads and blogs conflicting information on how to effectively space the rotor to the caliper in order to achieve even placement of the rotor relative to the caliper when installed. I've seen @krinkov report that 3MM is sufficient, and I've seen it reported that 5mm of space is needed also.

Photo of what I'm referring to for reference:

In the picture I have three open ended lug nuts holding the rotor fast to the hub so that this is the position it will be in if I were to install wheels and go drive. Definitely not centered.

See how the caliper is in a fixed position. If you put washers in between the bolts that fix the caliper on to the knuckle, you only push the caliper outwards, and that only magnifies the problem! I am not a fan of offsetting the rotor by putting washers in between the hub and the rotor as this car will be getting tracked quite heavily and I want the rotors flush to the hubs.

I could have the caliper mounting ears turned down the appropriate amount but I don't want to ruin the structural integrity of the piece.

Any assistance on this is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by stockbee; 05-02-2015 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: added narrative.
stockbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:01 PM   #724
Initial Drift
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Initial Drift has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Interesting. I will see if I have the same issue on my rears when I get home. I was pretty sure that they were a direct bolt on without any spacing. To my knowledge, mine were perfectly centered.
Initial Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:39 AM   #725
omgosh
Zilvia Member

omgosh is an unknown quantity at this point
You could weld a 5mm slip on spacer to the inside of the rotor hub.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:11 PM   #726
adey
Post Whore!

adey is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcgarrett View Post
The R33 rotors are 296mm in diameter and the 350Z Rotors are 324mm.
IIRC R33:
GTS: 296mm
GTT/GTS-T: 310mm
GTR: 324mm (black brembo)

350Z: 324mm (gold brembo)

Note: R33 had 12mm caliper bolts, while the 350Z has 14mm caliper bolts. I'm guessing that rotors would be interchangeable, but don't quote me on that.

I want to say the early 350Z single pot non-brembos were 310mm but unlikely that if it will work with the R33 GTT/GTS-T calipers. (R33 GTT had 4 pistons, the 350z is a single piston.)

Last edited by adey; 03-29-2016 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: added caliper bolt sizes
adey is offline   Reply With Quote