Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
JDMGuy

Trader Rating: (0)
JDMGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
s15 Need Help With Mods

Hey all, i recently imported a nissan s15 spec-r from japan to australia, it's completely stock which is what i wanted (didn't want to get any unexpected surprises from old mods)
So anyways, since it's a JDM version it has 184kw (250hp) and i'm looking to get it up to at least 400hp but unfortunately i'm a newbie at modding.
What i'm looking for is a list of parts that would help me get to the 400hp mark, any help or advice would be appreciated.

JDMGuy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3632_1.jpg (54.5 KB, 42 views)
JDMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
An RB26 swap...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMGuy View Post
Hey all, i recently imported a nissan s15 spec-r from japan to australia, it's completely stock which is what i wanted (didn't want to get any unexpected surprises from old mods)
So anyways, since it's a JDM version it has 184kw (250hp) and i'm looking to get it up to at least 400hp but unfortunately i'm a newbie at modding.
What i'm looking for is a list of parts that would help me get to the 400hp mark, any help or advice would be appreciated.

JDMGuy

Well you are in luck. The S15 is basically just a reskined S14 and S13, that means almost all the information out there should transfer right over.

Parts needed -

LS1 Engine with T56 out of a GTO, Holden or Camaro
Conversion Oil Pan
Cam
Long Tubes
Cross Member,
Transmission mount
Radiator
Modified drive shaft
Wiring

Enjuku now carries most of the swap parts. I would go with S14 stuff as it will be closet to what you need.

http://www.enjukuracing.com/categori...40sx/ls1-swap/

Good Luck!

Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
motteramm
Leaky Injector

motteramm is an unknown quantity at this point
No offense but I never really understood these types of posts. Like why is 400 your magic number? And why do you want that much? Will it be a street car? Track car? And if track, drift, drag, autocross? You can get 400hp out of stock SR fairly easy I.E. GT2871R turbo FMIC, exhaust, Injectors (at least 740cc) probably some Tomei 256 or 264 cams along with a good tune can make it happen. But if your auto crossing or drifting you may not want to wait for boost so a V8 swap such as an LS may be more suited. Drag car an RB as stated above would be great or again an LS. (But there are much better chassis's IMO for drag racing....) Not to mention your 250hp is at the crank.... from factory however many miles ago... And then once you get your perfect 400hp out of your SR or LS or whatever you have to worry about reliability.
Which brings me to the most important question which is budget.. You can do an LS or an RB26 swap and get the power no problem. With a few months of work and around 8-14k... Doing it right with most likely no air conditioning or heat. And now that you have this awesome powerful motor you still need properly tuned suspension and wheel/tire setup to put the power to the ground...

What I'm trying to say here its important to determine why you need the power and how you want it delivered before you even consider a swap/turbo upgrade.

But congratulations on purchasing an S-Chassis. I too hate money.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:42 PM   #5
JDMGuy

well the 400hp mark is just a rough estimate, i want to mainly use it for street since i'm not experienced with drifting, but maybe do a little in the future.
atm it's got just over 60k on the clock so the engine is still in good condition, i'd prefer to keep the sr20 engine and not do a swap so if it's possible, i'd like to upgrade while keeping the sr20 still in.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
Sumslapper
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Sumslapper is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Just go bigger. Bigger turbo, bigger injectors, bigger down-pipe, bigger exhaust, Bigger fuel pump, bigger tune, bigger tach, big mac, big fries, big shake.
Sumslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 AM   #7
teh smithers
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
teh smithers is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Find some magazine articles featuring cars with built SR's. They'll generally feature a parts list.

Do your own research. This forum is a treasure trove of good information, just be sure to dodge the idiots, elitists, and sarcastic asshats. You'll get picked on for asking such generic questions, to which you could easily obtain the answer yourself. Google is your best friend.

And if it were me, I'd pay attention to the suspension/brakes long before I ever thought about attaining 400 HP. Start with some basic bolt-ons and go from there.
teh smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:45 AM   #8
JDMGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumslapper View Post
Just go bigger. Bigger turbo, bigger injectors, bigger down-pipe, bigger exhaust, Bigger fuel pump, bigger tune, bigger tach, big mac, big fries, big shake.
i do intend on going bigger everything, as for the big mac, fries and shake, i got that now while checking my post hehehe
Old 07-08-2014, 05:48 AM   #9
JDMGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh smithers View Post
Find some magazine articles featuring cars with built SR's. They'll generally feature a parts list.

Do your own research. This forum is a treasure trove of good information, just be sure to dodge the idiots, elitists, and sarcastic asshats. You'll get picked on for asking such generic questions, to which you could easily obtain the answer yourself. Google is your best friend.

And if it were me, I'd pay attention to the suspension/brakes long before I ever thought about attaining 400 HP. Start with some basic bolt-ons and go from there.
thanks for the heads up, although i have looked through some of the forums on here, i haven't fully checked everything yet. i really do like the layout and vast amounts of info on here and of course, avoidng the idiots and whatnot is hard unless they post something hehehe
Old 07-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #10
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMGuy View Post
thanks for the heads up, although i have looked through some of the forums on here, i haven't fully checked everything yet. i really do like the layout and vast amounts of info on here and of course, avoidng the idiots and whatnot is hard unless they post something hehehe

http://robpetkau.files.wordpress.com...and-kettke.jpg
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #11
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by motteramm View Post
But congratulations on purchasing an S-Chassis. I too hate money.
Brilliant.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #12
JDMGuy

Well I guess that's all the help I'll get in this post. Thanks to those who actually gave advice
Old 07-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #13
shaggy0778
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (15)
shaggy0778 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Another thing I am surprised nobody has mentioned yet, is your transmission. The S15 6 speed is known for being a bit weaker than the 5 speed. I would say the limit of the 6 speed is somewhere in the 350wtq range. You can "upgrade" to the 5 speed but it will be unreliable at 400whp in my opinion. A better option would be to go with a z32/rb25 transmission, or a 6 speed from a z33 or z34.

To make 400hp and to make 400hp reliably are two different things. You can just throw on a bigger turbo, cams, injectors, and a standalone ecu to make 400hp. However, your motor will probably not last long. For it to be reliable (assuming you do everything the right way) You will need all of the things I mentioned above, as well as head studs, a metal headgasket, forged pistons, rods, and all of the bearings and gaskets to go along with that. Not to mention all of the machine work, and paying someone to put it all together for you. Then you have the more "minor" things, such as exhaust, intercooler, intake. Then you will need to put the power to the ground, meaning wider wheels, sticky tires, and suspension mods. You will also need to be able to stop well since it's a street car, so brakes will be necessary.
shaggy0778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:35 PM   #14
JDMGuy

Thanks shaggy for the insight, I was wondering about the 6 speed transmission and whether it would hold up with upgrading. Also being a newbie, I don't know what a z33 z34 is lol

Last edited by JDMGuy; 07-08-2014 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 07-08-2014, 11:49 PM   #15
aga
Zilvia Junkie

aga is an unknown quantity at this point
here's a list of stuff:

turbos: GT2871R or GTX2867

injectors: 550cc from an evo to 740 nismo

standalone ecu: apexi power fc for cheap, or others

front mount intercooler, a 76mm-80mm exhaust

a Z32 MAF, and the appropriate air filter.

those are the things that are necessary. Add to these, things to monitor everything. Wideband, EGT, oil temp, oil pressure. if you have a power fc, the rest can be monitored via the commander.

oh, and an SR or RB or Z32 transmission. since you will be around 400hp, it may be wise to spend the extra bucks and go for a sturdy transmission, RB or Z32.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #16
shaggy0778
Zilvia Junkie

Z33 is the 350z chassis, z34 is the 370z chassis

As for the s15 trans, I've been running the same trans on my car for a while now and have not shattered it yet. But I have heard of people breaking them at only 280wtq. Just depends how you drive. Your clutch can also make a difference in the longevity of your transmission. Harder engagement = more wear on the trans.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #17
Hanz41
Zilvia Member

Hanz41 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would honestly try to aim more towards the 300-350whp range... Thats much more of a realistic goal and much more reliable and can be achieved for much cheaper than aiming for a reliable 400whp mark. and 300-350 is more than enough power to have fun in on the street and to drift. Get a disco potato, good manifold, Power FC, big fmic, 740cc-ish injectors, decently aggressive cams, and upgrade the valves and springs. Dont need to go crazy with the build

Ryan Hanlon X S13.5 X Miata X IG @ryanhanlon41
Hanz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #18
JDMGuy

Hanz, perhaps that's a bit more of a better target range, although i want more zip in my ride, i don't plan on going overboard with it. Aga thanks for the info, will look into some of the parts listed. Shaggy thanks for the part lesson hehehe, my clutch pedal is pretty stiff, seems like it's hardly used, but i've noticed recently that when i'm in gear, and start to apply a bit of gas, there's a slight crunching noise that happens only after startup then pressing the gas, it's in gear but still don't know what the cause of the noise is.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:19 AM   #19
aga
Zilvia Junkie

if you wanna aim for a bit lower, the car is gonna be more fun. the GT2860RS disco potato is an amazing turbo. instant power all the time, and if pushed to the extremes, can give you 380hp. you won't need 740cc injectors with that, maybe 550's max.

i'd suggest you go for the 2860 for a street/daily car... to push the 2871 or GTX 2876 up to their potential, you gonnna need to put forged internals anyway.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:28 PM   #20
JDMGuy

ok so just on rough parts (i'll sort out brand names when i go shopping) i've written up just some parts to get me to the higher levels on performance. of course i've already taked into account better brakes and suspension, these listed below are just for under the hood.

fmic
GT2860RS turbo
electronic boost controller
better turbo manifold
full 3" cat back exhaust
550 injectors
throw in a better bov for kicks

edited
Walboro 255 pump
aftermarket ecu and maf
Old 07-09-2014, 11:47 PM   #21
aga
Zilvia Junkie

don't forget MAF or conversion to MAP, and the appropriate ecu. i suggest nistune or apexi power fc. oh and a fuel pump.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #22
JDMGuy

I'd probably would have to relocate the battery to the boot for this upgrade?
Old 07-10-2014, 01:49 AM   #23
aga
Zilvia Junkie

if you want to keep the stock shroud and fan, which is preferable, then you have to route the intercooler pipe through the battery tray. you can either move the battery to the boot, or you can use a small battery, which are expensive, and possibly troublesome if the car is meant for street use, with stereo etc.

if you don't want or don't have the stock fan shroud , then you can make the piping like mine: ...but i suggest you keep stock fan n shroud.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:24 AM   #24
shaggy0778
Zilvia Junkie

Your stock turbo will get you to 300whp with the other mods listed. I would try that first and see if you still feel like you need more power
Old 07-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #25
JDMGuy

Here's a pic of my engine when it was in japan, slightly dusty but same as i have it now, just cleaner hehehe