Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-06-2004, 08:26 PM   #1
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
INeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
$10 stainless steel brake lines??

hey i was at my local autoparts store and i saw a huge rack of hard brake lines you bend yourself. Now i know that SS lines are for less compression loss in your lines, b/c the rubber ones flex and the ones wrapped in SS flex less. They are still rubber just wrapped right? anyway, i was thinking why not just get the the right length in hard line and bend it myself. then it would essentially be hardline from MC to the Caliper, with NO flex. I know the lines need to flex a lil bit due to shock/suspension travel, but wouldnt these still work? i mean, they ARE bendable, and with lowering springs and good struts (apexi & AGX's) the suspension travel would be minimal so does anyone think these would hold up? im thinking if i bent them at such an angle to where they wouldnt pinch when the suspension travels, but instead just bend a lil more it should work fine, right? I dont know if anyone else has thought of this but im sure their is some problem or more people would use them right? or is there???

Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:34 PM   #2
Rennen
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Rennen will become famous soon enoughRennen will become famous soon enoughRennen will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
no..... just... no

The lines will break within a week. Do a google search on Metal Fatigue

-Matt

'89 Nissan 240SX fastback: #23 DSP/RallyMod2/Track Slut
'95 BMW 540i 6 speed: Ultimate Commuting Machine

PFM Racing
www.solo2.org
www.midwest240sx.com
Rennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:39 PM   #3
citizen
Zilvia FREAK!

citizen is making a name for him/her selfcitizen is making a name for him/her selfcitizen is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to citizen
Thank you... come again.
citizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 08:42 PM   #4
ICKY
Account Closed

ICKY is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ICKY
SPL Brake lines run about $80-90. I'd save up alittle and get those.
ICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:18 PM   #5
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
go get a paper clip, now bend it back and forth a few times, then let us all know what happens.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:25 PM   #6
v8blakdak
Leaky Injector

v8blakdak is a well-known jackass
a shop can bend you custom lines for about 30 bucks per corner.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:27 PM   #7
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

INeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond repute
hahaha, alright guys, THANKS for the sarcastic but refreshing info. Ive thought about it more and it seems ridicules i know, disregard this thread.

....thank you, come again... hahaha, psh!

thanks again! next time ill think 5 min. before i post.

oh btw, was that also sarcastic V8blackDak?? im thinking it was, otherwise your just as guilty as me!
Old 04-06-2004, 09:36 PM   #8
mjjstang
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
mjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to beholdmjjstang is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mjjstang
hey at least you took it like a man instead of burying yourself in shame. I was just kiddin around but I think v8 (haha hes got 4 more cylindars) was serious but i dont think he knew about how exaclty you wanted to hook em up without a soft line.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:52 PM   #9
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

thx247 is an unknown quantity at this point
no it wont work at all. You forgot about what would happen to the lines when you turn the steering wheel.
thx247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:00 PM   #10
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

yea yea... i took it like a man, and it sucks! haha, not really, but hey, whatever... The reason i was thinking about this is b/c i ordered some SS lines from some company on ebay and of course they arent the right ones... so i was looking for a quick and easy fix... the problem is they are female on both sides! i was trying to get a fitting or something that would work but the autoparts store only had fittings that were flared the wrong way.(inward) anyway, next time a moderator reads this you should delete the thread as it is USELESS! i highly doubt anyone else will need to read or learn about this.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:04 PM   #11
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
i have seen
harline from MC to inner wheel well (inside like the stock one goes)
then SS line from there to shock moutning point
then hardline from shock to caliper
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:06 PM   #12
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG
i have seen
harline from MC to inner wheel well (inside like the stock one goes)
then SS line from there to shock moutning point
then hardline from shock to caliper

Yeh isnt that how the 300z is setup?
Old 04-06-2004, 10:08 PM   #13
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
hmm i know the rear 300zx is such

but ive seen it a lot lately in some japanese [drifting] magazines, but no idea on the benifits of such?? any ideas? maybe so the SS line wont get bunched up/slide back and forth with turning?? that's the only benefit i can see. (eliminates a risk of the line getting crimped?)

pretty easy project if its really worth doing. costs under 40 bucks
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:53 PM   #14
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

The expansion of an extra 4-6 inches of SS line couldn't...SHOULDN'T... be enough to need to put in a metal line...and a properly installed SS line is supported on the strut similar to the stock install already, so that sort of eliminates the problem of excess movement in the brake line right there.

And I don't think the surface area of the metal hard line is enough to really contribute to any extra cooling that a slightly more insulated SS line might suffer from...

The only reason I could think of right now is to move the line up higher into the wheel well.....maybe for a rally car this could be used to protect the lines more?

I guess they don't say why they do that in those mags do they?
Old 04-06-2004, 10:57 PM   #15
Salty_X
Zilvia FREAK!

Salty_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx247
Yeh isnt that how the 300z is setup?
Yep.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:23 AM   #16
riot
Zilvia Junkie

riot is an unknown quantity at this point
This thread is a damn joke...I mean...you've GOT to be kidding me.
riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:41 AM   #17
mellojoe
Zilvia Junkie

mellojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Lol. IT made me laugh. I'm glad you caught yourself there at the end. I saw the title and was going to kick myself that I spent $100 on some stainless braided ones.

Then I realized what you were talking about. Oops.

Hey, its cool. If people didn't think about things in a different way, we wouldn't have the level of innovation we do. But, that still makes me laugh.

Sure, you can do it, but you have to always drive the car in a perfectly straight line on perfectly flat ground.