Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
240noobx

Trader Rating: (0)
240noobx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
buying a 240sx?

So I have been kinda looking around a bit for one and I found one with lowish miles (most of the ones i find are drifted or have high miles and they want a arm and a leg for them) Basically wanted other peoples opinions and kinda want to know what to look for when i go to look at it.

Last edited by 240noobx; 07-27-2014 at 11:47 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2014, 01:25 AM   #2
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Take someone mechanically inclined with you if you have to ask these questions..
Old 07-26-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
angel mkiv
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
angel mkiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/be...ing-240-a.html

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=368692

I typed in 240sx what to look for and these are two of the many online write ups on google..search and do a lot of research
Old 07-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
laurentj23
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
laurentj23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Go to youtube. Look up Eric the car guy channel buying a used car. He explained it in details on what to look for. Not just 240 but buying used car in general. Remember knowledge is power and don't get influenced by your emotions.

'Born Ready!',LJ
Old 07-26-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
make sure that the exhaust bearings are not seized and that the blinker fluid hasn't been run dry.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
silviasandbeer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
silviasandbeer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
don't forget to lowball

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm not kingtalon crazy, but I have standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
What age is appropriate to give your kids the sex talk? Is 3 too soon?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:10 AM   #7
240noobx

I know i did low ball but idk if I want to deal with the bs like I got to get it towed also thats going to be like $100+ and parts/labor is kinda going to suck. And it seems like he is just trying to kick it along kinda and I don't want to get burned on the deal either.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:31 AM   #8
Sumslapper
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Sumslapper is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
So bring a battery there and swap it out. It should fire up and drive unless the clutch is totally gone. If it doesn't fire up and drive, return the battery and offer the guy $500. Considering it has had one owner, its 5 speed, bone stock, then thats a huge plus in my book. Don't get stuck with some dumbass kids rat nest jank missile. If the pink-slip matches the guys id, I would rather buy that car than 99% of any other 240sx on Craigslist.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
240noobx

Will it run w/o a working coolant tank reservoir?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #10
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240noobx View Post
Will it run w/o a working coolant tank reservoir?
Ziptie a bottle in that spot until you get it home to get one.
Depending on where you are, I might be willing to help, but lexington is almost an hour from Greensboro and I will be damned if I am going that far to hold anyone's hand.

And I write too!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
240noobx

I live in burlington so a tow will be better imo just need to find a decent priced one.Been trying to find a hook up on a trailer or something. Driving that far w/o insurance would not be good either.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
damn, i know your username has noob in it...

but you're a fucking noob!

$1500 for that car is a steal in 2014, considering it's a one owner, 100% stock, never been crashed or fucked with by some half-wit (which probably will end up being you) 100k car...

I can tell whoever posted the ad doesn't know shit about cars and you could probably get the thing for $500-$1000.

Get a AAA membership and tow the thing to your house. Go to Google.com and educate yourself about how a car works and how to maintain one. Do a tune up and get it running and cleaned up. Then, drive it directly to a body shop and get it repainted in the factory color: AG2 Aztec Red.

If I was closer i'd probably pick it up just because it's 100% stock... and i would keep it that way. In 10 years from now, clean and stock examples of these cars will be non-existent.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #13
HeyGirlHeyyy
Zilvia Member

HeyGirlHeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll sell you mine. I'm south of Wilmington.

http://wilmington.craigslist.org/cto/4589071701.html
Old 07-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
Akito86
Zilvia Junkie

Akito86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't... dumbass people in america want $5K-$7k for 240sx with rod knock red tops and dented quarter panels XD

Last edited by Akito86; 07-27-2014 at 05:00 PM..
Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 PM   #15
240noobx

I'm also wondering if it will run with the clutch pedal to the floor. I know the clutch could need to be bleed but it could also need a master cylinder or slave cylinder. I thought it would but the guy said if i brung a battery the electronics would work but it wouldn't start he thinks.I just want to hear it run really but i'm thinking of passing on it seems like a lot of bs but just wondering if he is being honest about it.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #16
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Dont do it. These cars suck.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:37 PM   #17
tauntdevil
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tauntdevil is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just dont buy a 240sx if you dont want issues. Ill push a metal trash can over, mount some wheels to it and put a 240 badge on it since its equivalent to the real thing.

S14 KA NA two cylinders, 75whp limper
Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #18
l adam l
Zilvia Member

l adam l is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240noobx View Post
I'm also wondering if it will run with the clutch pedal to the floor. I know the clutch could need to be bleed but it could also need a master cylinder or slave cylinder. I thought it would but the guy said if i brung a battery the electronics would work but it is ouldn't start he thinks.I just want to hear it run really but i'm thinking of passing on it seems like a lot of bs but just wondering if he is being honest about it.

This is the wrong website to come to ask for any basic type of help. ..if you're not the least bit mechanically inclined and you don't have any knowledge of the 240sx you just get dickhead answers.

Seems like we'd have a better community...helping like minded people. But hey I guess being a dick is fun over the Internet right??
Old 07-31-2014, 10:38 PM   #19
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by l adam l View Post
This is the wrong website to come to ask for any basic type of help. ..if you're not the least bit mechanically inclined and you don't have any knowledge of the 240sx you just get dickhead answers.

Seems like we'd have a better community...helping like minded people. But hey I guess being a dick is fun over the Internet right??
We are not here to hold your hand. If you don't know how to wipe your own ass by now and expect people to show you then you have issues. Yes you even used the correct word "BASIC" type of help. All of this info can be found using the great search engine everyone knows. A little work by typing some key words into Google will turn up pages of information. If you can read, then you shouldn't need to ask for "BASIC" help.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:53 PM   #20
240noobx

No need to be a ass, I was just asking a question I have been doing research but it wasn't that much help just wanted some opinions thats all. But thanks for the help.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:07 PM   #21
eek
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
eek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud ofeek has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Not being an ass, just telling it how it is. Why don't you stop being so sensitive?

Anyhow there are tons of threads about why not to buy these cars. Yes there is a stupid amount of mark up on these cars now since everyone and their mom wants to be the next cool facebook/twitter/Instagram hot shot drifter. Basically everyone that got out of the Honda phase/scene is now all of a sudden is a hardcore Nissan fan.

Put it this way, every used car will have issues, esp a 16+ yr old car that will prob need the basics and more. You got to pay to play. Any s-chassis you buy now will need lots of time and money dumped into it to make it half decent. If you are not ready for that, I suggest a different car or save up more $$$ and buy something that doesn't need that much attention.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:19 PM   #22
l adam l
Zilvia Member

l adam l is an unknown quantity at this point
You're either going to be buying an overpriced POS or you're going to pay a lot more money for a decent one... I got lucky on both of mine. Paid 2400 for my s14...from the original owner. She bought it brand new in 95 and she was 72 when I bought it from her mines in really good shape everything works except passenger window...and my windows didn't work in my previous 95 that's a common problem window switches and blower moters.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:45 PM   #23
NismoDriverS13
Zilvia Junkie

NismoDriverS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't buy one, unless you got money to spend or willing to do work. Get a honda, no maintenance required...just 'hella flush it brah' and you good to go!
Old 08-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #24
TMW
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
TMW is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
just saw the ad, looks pretty rough

at least the exterior does, $1500 is pretty cheap, but it also doesnt run
Old 08-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #25
240noobx

I got him down a little bit. I'm probably going to look at it tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #26
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Im gonna go ahead and close this thread now as its just gonna get worse...

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
Closed Thread