Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-01-2002, 01:36 PM   #1
tsunami0ne
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
tsunami0ne is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A body shop wants $250 to paint my sideskirts dark purple, is that a good deal? Right now I dont feel like going out of town to get some more estimates.

My sideskirts are sort of big; they are basically NISMO knockoffs of the '95-96 style sideskirts.
tsunami0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2002, 02:14 PM   #2
sykikchimp
WOW addicted

sykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura aboutsykikchimp has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sykikchimp
Are they going to install them too?
sykikchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 09:39 PM   #3
tsunami0ne
Zilvia Junkie

no, but they tried to charge me $1000 to fit it.... good thing i didnt let them because it fit OK with a little hammering.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:48 PM   #4
Nismos14
Zilvia FREAK!

Nismos14 is an unknown quantity at this point
what the #### thats some ridiculous pricing im gonna be scared to see how much they want to paint my front lip
Nismos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 11:05 PM   #5
Arcane
Zilvia Junkie

Arcane is an unknown quantity at this point
i'd pay that price if they were going to install them also..
Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 11:32 PM   #6
200sx
Leaky Injector

200sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Dude... that is insane... buy a few spray cans of good paint (and primer) and do it yourself!  There is no way it will cost $250 to spray  2 skirts!  You're getting screwed if you pay that much!!!   Just find an enclosed space (garadge, or basement whatever) and do it your self man... save your $$$ for more important stuf like enigne upgrades and .. whatever!
200sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 12:58 AM   #7
-E-
Post Whore!

-E- is an unknown quantity at this point
I think thats too much do what 200sx posted
-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 01:07 AM   #8
tsunami0ne
Zilvia Junkie

Gee I dunno, my purple color would be EXTREMELY hard to emulate with spray cans...
Old 03-02-2002, 01:17 AM   #9
-E-
Post Whore!

-E- is an unknown quantity at this point
THEN JUST SHOP AROUND SEE HOW HAS A BETTER PRICE
-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 04:59 AM   #10
silvia240
Zilvia Junkie

silvia240 is an unknown quantity at this point
You must understand also that it depends on how good of a job they are going to do the the side skirts.  You can easly find cheeper places but they do crappy jobs.  Around san diego, if you want a good paint job (that i know of) it costs anywhere from 200 too 400 dollars.  And yes... that is hella expensive.
silvia240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 10:27 AM   #11
BlankFlip
Nissanaholic!

BlankFlip is an unknown quantity at this point
seriously, that's not a "bad" price. i'm sure it will flow right w/ the body if u get it done there. it's gonna cost me $300 to get my trunk holes fixed n have the trunk n rear bumper painted. u get what u pay for, ESPECIALLY w/ paint jobs.
BlankFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:01 PM   #12
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

TurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TurDz
I got quoted $350 to paint a trunk lid...no body work! just pearl white paint!

if anyone can find me a good deal in norcal...let me know
TurDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:11 PM   #13
ZK
Zilvia FREAK!

ZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her selfZK is making a name for him/her self
I paid $200 to have my side skirts painted the original OE color. Installation was bolt-on for me though. Good paint jobs aren't cheap! You generally get what you pay for. Check out some of their other jobs and see if they do a good job.
ZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:12 PM   #14
bing
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
bing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enoughbing will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
u guys are crazy...

these shops are either at capacity or have no respect for you guys.

here in ontario canada i refferred friends to a shop that took a S13 hatch, shaved the wiper and 3rd brake like and painted it oem forrest green all for $300 CAD.

the work was good too.

painted skirts should be a $150 job at most. MAYBE $250 if they are mounting them properly. it takes less than an hour to do that.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:23 PM   #15
tsunami0ne
Zilvia Junkie

oh how the past has come back to haunt me. =]
Old 11-30-2004, 02:25 PM   #16
justinhustle
Nissanaholic!

justinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurDz
I got quoted $350 to paint a trunk lid...no body work! just pearl white paint!

if anyone can find me a good deal in norcal...let me know
a 2 yr old thread on a useless topic??

to the moronking!
justinhustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:39 PM   #17
KOUKI KA-T
Zilvia FREAK!

KOUKI KA-T is on a distinguished road
And candybars only cost a nickle back when this thread was started...
Old 11-30-2004, 03:19 PM   #18
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Andrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i think the paint cost so much because that's when painting was first invented. it was new technology.
Andrew Bohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:49 PM   #19
BoroBoroS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
BoroBoroS13 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
$250 is a lot to paint some side skirts IMHO. $150 sounds more like a fair price to me...
Old 11-30-2004, 04:08 PM   #20
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroBoroS13
$250 is a lot to paint some side skirts IMHO. $150 sounds more like a fair price to me...
It really depends on the color. Dct223 got his side skirts painted stock BLACK along with a 96 grill for $100. Another body shop wants $250 to paint my navan bumper pearl white.
Ritz S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:31 PM   #21
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

TurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TurDz
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
a 2 yr old thread on a useless topic??

to the moronking!
i had no idea this thread was this old...i didn't even use a search or anything. it was really high up in the general chat pages. maybe 2 at the oldest. I dunno what happened. so chill out guys
TurDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:47 PM   #22
zero.counter
Nissanaholic!

zero.counter is making a name for him/her selfzero.counter is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to zero.counter
If it is an OEM STOCK color, then anything past $75 could not be justified. If it is a specialty color, no more than $150 for some skirts. For example, OEM black matches up with high temp ceramic high gloss paint available from autozone, along with a couple of cans of primer sealer, an assorted pack of wetsand grits from 1000+, and a couple of cans of clear coat. If you have the experience an patience, the job can be done with professional quality results in under a couple of hours (give or take time for drying) and under $50.
zero.counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:53 PM   #23
KOUKI KA-T
Zilvia FREAK!

KOUKI KA-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero.counter
If it is an OEM STOCK color, then anything past $75 could not be justified. If it is a specialty color, no more than $150 for some skirts. For example, OEM black matches up with high temp ceramic high gloss paint available from autozone, along with a couple of cans of primer sealer, an assorted pack of wetsand grits from 1000+, and a couple of cans of clear coat. If you have the experience an patience, the job can be done with professional quality results in under a couple of hours (give or take time for drying) and under $50.
That's not right. The cost of the paint alone to do my sides was over 100$, it's OEM deep Fuschia, (purple with a pearl)
Also many fiberglass body pieces on the market are very porous and require a lot of prep work to have a decent paint job and not have an assload of little pinholes and fisheyes. 250$ in not unreasonable at all if you want quality work.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:14 PM   #24
zero.counter
Nissanaholic!

zero.counter is making a name for him/her selfzero.counter is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to zero.counter
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOUKI KA-T
That's not right. The cost of the paint alone to do my sides was over 100$, it's OEM deep Fuschia, (purple with a pearl)
Also many fiberglass body pieces on the market are very porous and require a lot of prep work to have a decent paint job and not have an assload of little pinholes and fisheyes. 250$ in not unreasonable at all if you want quality work.
I totally disagree with your misunderstanding. If you are not professionally familiar with the process and only go by what the bodymen say, then you are making an assumption. It reminds me of how a computer tech can take advantage of the elderly man just trying to receive pictures of his grandchildren (the internet being the means for transmission or lack therof), and the tech tells him that the reason he cannot access the internet is because he needs a new motherboard and hard drive and needs to be upgraded to the newest OS and that labor for doing all of the would be at least 3 hours at $75hr, not including parts. The old guy does not know anything about this techno-babble the tech speaks of and agrees. Then when he is playing poker with his 67+ year old comrades, one guy says, "you know, I cannot get pr0n on my computer anymore but everything else works fine", (the guy know nothing about computers), and the original victim refers the pr0n freak to the swindling tech because he was never educated on what the real problem was. In other words, don't believe everything you hear just because of the source. Get educated in what is being discussed for your own sake and others as well. I will explain the "lack" of understanding on the paint subject just ahead.

You stated "MANY", obviously not including all. Now that I typed that, we can move on with the point of my response. First of all, shop around if you are going to have it done. Name brands are not always the best, and neither is, "my dad's, friend's, uncle's, cousin's, sister said that he was the best". The primer/sealer is for removing the cat claws and pinholes that may arise. The sandpaper is for smooting out. And I think you know what the paint is for, right? I gave a specific example, BLACK, oem that is. How much more professional can a job get it there is a deep luster, no signs of cat claws or pinholes, no overspray, no orange peeling, and the entire surface is smooth as glass? I guess that maybe there are those $4k jobs, and the guys are entering their cars in the Tokyo Auto Salon, but otherwise, it's about as pro as anyone can get. You can buy a premade apple pie, or you can make it from scratch. You can design and build your own house or you can buy it pre-made. You can call a plumber for a clogged sink, or you can buy liquid drano. You can swap your own motor, or loose tons of money paying some other guy to do it and never learn much about your car. The point here is that just because some guy went to community college or an equivalent and learned how to paint with a gravity fed gun or use the old hammer and dolley or the mechanical sheet metal shaper ("hammer" as we like to call it), does not mean that their job will be better than someone's who took the time to learn and practice to perfect their painting skills. Just like anything you yourself do, like attending school or getting that homemade BBQ sauce down to perfection.
zero.counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 07:15 PM   #25
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurDz
i had no idea this thread was this old...i didn't even use a search or anything. it was really high up in the general chat pages. maybe 2 at the oldest. I dunno what happened. so chill out guys
maybe someone posted before you and deleted their post
Old 11-30-2004, 07:27 PM   #26
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
$250 is a fair price for having sideskirts painted.

take it to maaco and have the paint flake off in six months but it'll totally be cheaper.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 07:28 PM   #27
2JZGTE
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 2JZGTE Send a message via MSN to 2JZGTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero.counter
I totally disagree with your misunderstanding. If you are not professionally familiar with the process and only go by what the bodymen say, then you are making an assumption. It reminds me of how a computer tech can take advantage of the elderly man just trying to receive pictures of his grandchildren (the internet being the means for transmission or lack therof), and the tech tells him that the reason he cannot access the internet is because he needs a new motherboard and hard drive and needs to be upgraded to the newest OS and that labor for doing all of the would be at least 3 hours at $75hr, not including parts. The old guy does not know anything about this techno-babble the tech speaks of and agrees. Then when he is playing poker with his 67+ year old comrades, one guy says, "you know, I cannot get pr0n on my computer anymore but everything else works fine", (the guy know nothing about computers), and the original victim refers the pr0n freak to the swindling tech because he was never educated on what the real problem was. In other words, don't believe everything you hear just because of the source. Get educated in what is being discussed for your own sake and others as well. I will explain the "lack" of understanding on the paint subject just ahead.

You stated "MANY", obviously not including all. Now that I typed that, we can move on with the point of my response. First of all, shop around if you are going to have it done. Name brands are not always the best, and neither is, "my dad's, friend's, uncle's, cousin's, sister said that he was the best". The primer/sealer is for removing the cat claws and pinholes that may arise. The sandpaper is for smooting out. And I think you know what the paint is for, right? I gave a specific example, BLACK, oem that is. How much more professional can a job get it there is a deep luster, no signs of cat claws or pinholes, no overspray, no orange peeling, and the entire surface is smooth as glass? I guess that maybe there are those $4k jobs, and the guys are entering their cars in the Tokyo Auto Salon, but otherwise, it's about as pro as anyone can get. You can buy a premade apple pie, or you can make it from scratch. You can design and build your own house or you can buy it pre-made. You can call a plumber for a clogged sink, or you can buy liquid drano. You can swap your own motor, or loose tons of money paying some other guy to do it and never learn much about your car. The point here is that just because some guy went to community college or an equivalent and learned how to paint with a gravity fed gun or use the old hammer and dolley or the mechanical sheet metal shaper ("hammer" as we like to call it), does not mean that their job will be better than someone's who took the time to learn and practice to perfect their painting skills. Just like anything you yourself do, like attending school or getting that homemade BBQ sauce down to perfection.

Great post zero. It's too bad painting is so in depth or more people would probably tackle it themselves. The compressors needed to spray paint with must be at least 5HP if I'm not mistaken. I am slowly trying to learn all the painting fundamentals, but the one thing I haven't gotten to practice yet is spraygun and boothtime. I've had lots of spraycan practice though

You mentioned a good point about other people doing work on our own cars. Just because a shop can fix your car, doesn't mean it will be better than you doing it yourself. I have learned the best work on my car has been my own work, because I care about it more than some shop worker who just wants to go to lunch.

PS- SR20DET engine removal can be done by yourself with no help at all, start to finish. The tranny can be unbolted and picked up easily by one person.

Billy

R35 GT-R, R32 GT-R, Supra, S13, S14, FD3S
2JZGTE is offline   Reply With Quote