Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-06-2022, 10:41 PM   #1
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Greddy to make KA24DE billet valve cover

https://www.facebook.com/GReddyPerfo...9zydu19zJFCQyl

support with your dollars to show that you care about these types of products.

Distributor for Nismo, ORC, and discontinued genuine Nissan parts.

Authorized dealer for Oakley -- PM me for the best prices!

[email protected]
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2022, 05:19 AM   #2
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
This is cool. Even though it has been a throw away motor, it is always nice to see new products being brought to life. Wonder how much it’ll run and how many will actually be sold.
Old 06-07-2022, 06:25 AM   #3
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
I don't think many motors these days are throw away..lol
Old 06-07-2022, 06:59 AM   #4
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I may buy one just because I haven't been able to get my hands on some spare factory ones for some dumb reason (terrible sellers on FB).

I like the ports. Gives me some RB vibes. That oil filler cap is hideous though.

Here's to hoping it's not a MSRP of $399.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:13 AM   #5
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The laser cut plastic intake port cover is kind of a flex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
Here's to hoping it's not a MSRP of $399.
Errrr, a billet valve cover for a Honda is typically in the $900 range.
AKADriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:43 AM   #6
Whitey13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Whitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Zero chance this thing is under $500, to the comments above. I'd be surprised if it's under $1,000.
Whitey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:06 AM   #7
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I think There are no KA engines left ?!

A complete gently used 5.3L is cheaper than a valve cover from the original 2.4

Cars with truck LS engines are cheaper to maintain than the original 4-cylinder?!

Nissan needs to start making sr20 engines again. Thats all I hear
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:23 AM   #8
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsauto View Post
I don't think many motors these days are throw away..lol
It was a past tense statement. Most people removed the KA for other options.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:32 AM   #9
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
I think There are no KA engines left ?!

Nissan needs to start making sr20 engines again. Thats all I hear
Not trying to derail this thread. I'm sure you guys are already hearing me complain about how you used to be able to get 4-5 complete KA's for $1000, back in the good OL' days. Yes my knees & back hurt.

I looked through Mav1178's group buy spreadsheet and I think you should too.

Group buy thread:
https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=673437

Spreadsheet of parts:
https://bit.ly/2WPSqNd

Lines 172 & 173 lists the S13 and S14 longblocks for $12,000. Doesn't list it as a stop production either.

Obviously your landed costs will be more, but it's there.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:25 AM   #10
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
Not trying to derail this thread. I'm sure you guys are already hearing me complain about how you used to be able to get 4-5 complete KA's for $1000, back in the good OL' days. Yes my knees & back hurt.

I looked through Mav1178's group buy spreadsheet and I think you should too.

Group buy thread:
https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=673437

Spreadsheet of parts:
https://bit.ly/2WPSqNd

Lines 172 & 173 lists the S13 and S14 longblocks for $12,000. Doesn't list it as a stop production either.

Obviously your landed costs will be more, but it's there.
Thanks, unfortunately most of this was only valid when I started the list/project in late 2019 into the first half of 2020.

I only flag it as stop production when I know from Nissan. Unfortunately Nissan won't cancel an item on order until their vendor says yes or no, so the entire process is dragged out for no good reason.

At the end of the day it's all very simple: vendors are only willing to sell product as long as people are willing to buy. Numbers don't like, so if you want Greddy to keep developing parts for a dead platform then you buy products when it is available, not after the product is discontinued.

As for Nissan engines... it was always available on a made to order basis, the biggest seller of this was Tomei Japan with their crate motors.

but then people complain how expensive it is, how it is much cheaper to build your own motor... so here we are. we made the bed, we can sleep in it.

[email protected]
Old 06-07-2022, 11:34 AM   #11
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

in an odd twist, turns out the valve cover was prototyped on Jun Imai's KAT-powered 510 wagon.

I bring this up because he is actually the brother of a longtime friend of mine and Jun was at Mattel/Hot Wheels for 14+ years, and probably designed most of the better Hot Wheels out in the last 10 years.

world is too small.

[email protected]
Old 06-07-2022, 11:41 AM   #12
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It seems that the effort expended would be better suited for oiling issues that are no longer supported by the factory. This looks great but isn't quite as "GReddy from '04" as something truly useful.

Gonna pick up a couple trinkets from their accessories section to support them.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:19 PM   #13
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
It seems that the effort expended would be better suited for oiling issues that are no longer supported by the factory. This looks great but isn't quite as "GReddy from '04" as something truly useful.
it's not perfect but I think this started out as a one-off custom project and went from there based on feedback.

Greddy is open to learning and expanding based on what customers need, its why they've survived multiple recessions and bankruptcies.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/greddy...rmarket-tuning

[email protected]
Old 06-07-2022, 12:20 PM   #14
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
As cool as this is, I don't personally feel I could justify the cost:benefit as I can't imagine the valve cover has any performance/effeciency benefit.

However, it is very cool. I do agree that a QUALITY replacement front cover with a better oil pump set up would be much more worth the R&D.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:26 PM   #15
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
However, it is very cool. I do agree that a QUALITY replacement front cover with a better oil pump set up would be much more worth the R&D.
YES.

Also an oil pan for the same reason. All the old GT3 race KAs just ran dry sump, but a properly baffled, extended capacity pan would have real value. Edit: I guess xcessive has that market covered?
AKADriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:52 PM   #16
ZenkiKid
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud ofZenkiKid has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
A complete gently used 5.3L is cheaper than a valve cover from the original 2.4

Cars with truck LS engines are cheaper to maintain than the original 4-cylinder?!
Not gonna lie this is my next possible route.
ZenkiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #17
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I was about to say. If Greddy really wants us to speak with our wallets make something that KA people actually need, i.e. oil pump.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 03:52 PM   #18
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
I was about to say. If Greddy really wants us to speak with our wallets make something that KA people actually need, i.e. oil pump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
YES.

Also an oil pan for the same reason. All the old GT3 race KAs just ran dry sump, but a properly baffled, extended capacity pan would have real value. Edit: I guess xcessive has that market covered?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
then just post this feedback on the Greddy page if you want to get their attention.

[email protected]
Old 06-08-2022, 03:34 AM   #19
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Already have, as well as others. Would be cool to see.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 04:57 PM   #20
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
Hi Alex, this is pretty cool. I'm guessing the benefit is you can easily mount up those R35 ignition coils to it? Sorry I'm probably using the terminology incorrectly.

I'd really love to see a baffled oil pan for KA. So far, the closest thing I've seen was an adapter made by XCessive to use aftermarket SR baffled pans. (which has been discontinued)

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:39 PM   #21
mothon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
mothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Billet stuff is expensive. I think the price is going to be well above what most KA owners are going to be willing to pay.

At what price point would you guys be willing to pay?