Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #61
AXV
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
AXV is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yea I'm reviving and old thread but better than making another thread. I am getting new plugs tomorrow. I have iridiums in there right now in my KA24DE but planning to get copper ones. The only "mod" I have on my s13 is a catback exhaust. Will I be ok with using stock FSM recommended gap? Or do I need to change it?

Thanks guys
AXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #62
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Stock is fine.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:02 AM   #63
AXV
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
AXV is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thanks! NGK V Power should be good right?
AXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #64
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
The V powers are ngk bkr7e. Those are fine.

That's all I run.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #65
S T Y L E S
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
S T Y L E S is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's would u guys recommend for a stock KA? Brand, heat and gap??
S T Y L E S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #66
dawagarage
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
btw if you guys are interested i have some NGK schwag for sale
fender protectors, coffee mug, water tumbler.

ratsun: dawa (73 datsun 620)
clublexus: properD (97 sc300)
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #67
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbociv910 View Post
Engines get better gas mileage and less emissions the hotter they are, that is why most cars have an operating temp of 200-220. Some iron blocks are 230!. Iridium increases heat increasing fuel mileage. Hotter everything is, the air the engine is consuming is less dense(= less fuel). Just like when its cold you expect more power right?

Copper runs cooler, has colder spark(naturally) to reduce detonation for higher horsepower and aftermarket applications. Many, countless times have i taken out iridium plugs in exchange for copper and gained power, or got rid of a miss fire.

never buy "iridium racing" plugs for your car, you will waste the $$ and i will say i told you so.

downside is that a copper plug wears out twice as fast, but who cares when they cost $3 a piece.

Had misfire with my .30 Iridiums. Swapped to cheap copper and .25 gap and misfire disappeared.

Going to dyno with Iridiums and then switch to copper to see a difference.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #68
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Awesome info ! Here, I have been reading up on heat ranges and what not. Definitely going with Ngk iridiums. Thought about going with a heat range of 8 for my 460-530 hp rb25. I have the general hp range due to my over all tune. Do you guys think 8 is a suitable heat range. It's still pretty new fresh material I am learning.

I have always just went with copper. Never had any probs, cheap, replace 1x a month with my monthly oil change on my previous cars. Iridium comes around and now takes the stage when it comes to spark plugs.
EnemyS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #69
ILoveJDM
Nissanaholic!

ILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to beholdILoveJDM is a splendid one to behold
Ive used a few types of DENSO iridiums

IK20
IK22
IK24 (currently using)

HEAT RANGE INFO COMPARABLE

DENSO 16 20 22 24 27 29 31 32 34 35
NGK 5 6 7 8 9 9.5 10 10.5 11 11.5
CHAMPION 12,11 10,9 8,7 6,63,61 4,59 57 55 53
BOSCH 8 7,6 5 4 3 2

I used the IK22 last year, the white stuff ended up actually cracking and going through my motor. Currently on the IK24 with 20psi 400whp sr22det and theyre great.
only downside is that theyre $10 a plug. Not bad since I just came back from owning a rotary....$40 set of plugs ..which i changed all the time
Old 07-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #70
S T Y L E S
Leaky Injector

S T Y L E S is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S T Y L E S View Post
What's would u guys recommend for a stock KA? Brand, heat and gap??
Anybody? Looking to replace it out this week
S T Y L E S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #71
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Replace them with stock.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:04 AM   #72
rightcoastimports
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
rightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond reputerightcoastimports has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
edit:: running BKR7E .28 gap on s13 sr 12-13psi

Last edited by rightcoastimports; 03-23-2021 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: researched
rightcoastimports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:04 AM   #73
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

tunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to behold
While searching for SR20det Iridium plugs I found this old thread and thought i'd share a little guide for other SR20det, KA24, RB owners in need of upgraded plugs/coils or anyone dealing with spark blow out. SR20det Iridium spark plugs
I know there is a lot of miss information about spark plugs, plug gap and heat range, hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #74
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
I tune the engine on BKR7, then install a fresh clean set and drive the vehicle 5k miles or so to review the plug condition in it's final tuned state. Then always switch to Iridium, usually heat range 7 , BKR7EIX for example. This for 2jz, sr20, or even LS application, pump gas, up to around 125hp/cyl, try to keep the gap open .021" to .025", doing this for around 20 years hundreds of cars

In LS application I use the TR6 or TR7 NGK plug for tuning as above (part# 4177 = TR6)
Then switch to iridium version of that plug with stock coils for up to 1200rwhp using stock engine 05-07 L33 5.3L for example, gap .019" to .023" , D585 coils , Heat range 7 or 8
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:26 PM   #75
shaggyjake
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
shaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choicesshaggyjake has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
TR6 is a great heat range for the LS for like 400-550hp. This is what i run at 430whp gapped at .040 for NA application
TR7 is the next step for higher power or for long track sessions like 30+ minutes.

I think factory LS6 spark plug is like an NGK 5.5 equivalent gapped at .044
shaggyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:00 AM   #76
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

tunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to beholdtunermt is a splendid one to behold
I run bkr7eix-11 factory 1.1mm gap in my s14 Sr20det on e85 and 19psi. (R35 coils)
I?ve run copper core ngk as well but they last less than half as long and I have to gap them way down compared to the iridium ngk spark plugs.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:04 PM   #77
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunermt View Post
I run bkr7eix-11 factory 1.1mm gap in my s14 Sr20det on e85 and 19psi. (R35 coils)
I?ve run copper core ngk as well but they last less than half as long and I have to gap them way down compared to the iridium ngk spark plugs.
Why are you running 11 heat range on a lower performing motor? Especially on E?
Old 07-27-2022, 07:05 PM   #78
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
7 is the heat range , i forget why theres an 11 in there. but look its 7 not 11

pull up the ngk parts catalogue and lets get a breakdown of what ever letter number means
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:33 PM   #79
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Why are you running 11 heat range on a lower performing motor? Especially on E?
7 is the heat range the -11 at the end means the plugs are pre gapped to 1.1mm
Old 07-28-2022, 11:18 PM   #80
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunermt View Post
7 is the heat range the -11 at the end means the plugs are pre gapped to 1.1mm
Well google failed me. I thought the heat range was in the PN not at the end. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2022, 01:17 AM   #81
tunermt
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Well google failed me. I thought the heat range was in the PN not at the end. Thanks.
For the BKR7eix-11

The 7 represents the heat range, the 11 represents the gap (1.1mm)