Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-07-2022, 07:29 AM   #23791
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yahoo Auctions Japan is a deep deep rabbit hole. Yup, that's a new old stock S15 engine. Not one of the new 2022 production Mercury Japan SRs or a reman. They have a video linked from the auction. Looks like the seller has a lot of NOS items and engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJUjKD6LwpE

Buyee won't let you purchase engines and for some reason also blocks listings for coils/dampers (I guess the gas charged shock is considered a hazard?). But there may be another service that does those. Buyee will ship big stuff like bumpers and exhausts though.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2022, 08:27 AM   #23792
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Huh. Never heard of Buyee till now. Been looking through it. I am really wondering what kind of shipping one would pay for an engine.

Also am I tripping or is this a NEW SR20?

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/...search_suggest
Buyee likely won't ship an engine. They've gotten much better than they used to be about what they'll allow, but I've had them cancel purchases/bids in the past. I usually use buyee for smaller stuff and a proxy like Streeter for larger items.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:20 PM   #23793
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
I forget, which S14 SR cams retain VCT?

Those with 264's cams, how is drivability, idle?
Bumping this question.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:37 AM   #23794
Snilssson
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Snilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustys14 View Post
Buyee likely won't ship an engine. They've gotten much better than they used to be about what they'll allow, but I've had them cancel purchases/bids in the past. I usually use buyee for smaller stuff and a proxy like Streeter for larger items.
This is very interesting, is there a way to figure out shipping costs before placing a bid? The site isn?t really Amazon lol
Snilssson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:27 AM   #23795
splitfire
Leaky Injector

splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I forget, which S14 SR cams retain VCT?

Those with 264's cams, how is driveability, idle?
Quote:
Bumping this question.

From the personal experience:

Brian Crower Stage2 264 cams retain VCT; moderate driveability, a bit lazy from idle to midrange; idle is rough and sloppy, could be easily confused with turbo Subaru)

P.S. :
FYI, stiffer BC valve springs destroyed VCT gear in a couple of weeks, from a completely silent gear without any signs of rattle, to sounds of jackhummer under the valve cover.
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 02:20 PM   #23796
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snilssson View Post
This is very interesting, is there a way to figure out shipping costs before placing a bid? The site isn?t really Amazon lol
Buyee has a cost estimator you can use to get a rough idea of your total with fees and shipping before you buy. You just need to enter the approximate weight of whatever it is that your buying. The estimator has been reasonably accurate for stuff I've bought through them in the past.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:28 PM   #23797
danbarnett123
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
danbarnett123 is making a name for him/her selfdanbarnett123 is making a name for him/her selfdanbarnett123 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Bumping this question.
I have hks 264 cams in my s15 SR with vtc removed, so basically a s13 SR.

Idle sounds cool, acceleration is shit until 5k+, and then it really wakes up and screams all the way to 7k or 7500.
If you have a big turbo then your car will feel good at high speed high rpm, but acceleration leaves a lot to be desired.

Just depends on your application
Old 11-08-2022, 11:20 PM   #23798
mikerawk
Leaky Injector

mikerawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feels so dam good to be back on zilvia..hahaha

Had a question. I have a pair of origin front overfenders for pop up headlights.

My car has a silvia front end. Has anyone ever done some fiberglass work on the pop up fenders to make it fit a silvia front end? They look kind of similar so it might work?

Or should I just sell them and source a pair of silvia fenders? Just sucks because I waited a year for them to ship from japan.

Thanks!
mikerawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:24 PM   #23799
mikerawk
Leaky Injector

accidentally posted twice some how. Couldnt find delete post feature

Last edited by mikerawk; 11-08-2022 at 11:27 PM.. Reason: duplicate
Old 11-09-2022, 02:17 PM   #23800
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerawk View Post
Feels so dam good to be back on zilvia..hahaha

Had a question. I have a pair of origin front overfenders for pop up headlights.

My car has a silvia front end. Has anyone ever done some fiberglass work on the pop up fenders to make it fit a silvia front end? They look kind of similar so it might work?

Or should I just sell them and source a pair of silvia fenders? Just sucks because I waited a year for them to ship from japan.

Thanks!
you will have to do A LOT of work to "convert" hatch fenders to Silvia fenders. different lengths and shapes. also, front body line (where the black tape goes) sits slightly higher on silvia bumpers.

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:37 PM   #23801
mikerawk
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
you will have to do A LOT of work to "convert" hatch fenders to Silvia fenders. different lengths and shapes. also, front body line (where the black tape goes) sits slightly higher on silvia bumpers.
Thanks for the response Dorki!

I really don't know if I should go silvia or onevia. They both look so good to me., leaning towards silvia though.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:35 AM   #23802
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerawk View Post
Thanks for the response Dorki!

I really don't know if I should go silvia or onevia. They both look so good to me., leaning towards silvia though.
im part and partial to OneVia

Old 12-07-2022, 12:17 PM   #23803
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
What's the 2022 consensus for RELIABILITY/LONGEVITY regarding go-to in tank fuel pumps for simple SR/KA-T style drivetrains? Not worried about E85.

-Are Walbro 255(TI-Automotive) now shit? They were the everyone and their grandma's go-to but have heard some concerns on build quality in the last few years.
-Aeromotive/AEM 340's seem to have good reputation but I think are essentially the same thing from the same Chinese factory
-Denso Supra TT OE pump?
-Deatschwerks DW300?
-If I ball out and buy a Sard pump from Japan am I guaranteed JDM tyte reliability?

Really only concerned about longevity and reliability here.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:47 PM   #23804
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Quote:
-Are Walbro 255(TI-Automotive) now shit? They were the everyone and their grandma's go-to but have heard some concerns on build quality in the last few years.
no idea on current walbro quality. went thru 1 in my current 240 after 4-5 years of daily driving. currently on my 2nd... car is no longer daily driven and pump was replaced in like 2015.

Quote:
-Aeromotive/AEM 340's seem to have good reputation but I think are essentially the same thing from the same Chinese factory
these require wiring in a relay... they dont have the same amp in them walbros do and wont supply consistent fuel pressure after 4000-5000rpms (figured this out via gauge in my car)

Quote:
-Denso Supra TT OE pump?
if these are still made and available... they are 100% worth the trouble of running a relay! had one in my previous S13 from 06-09. can handle E85 just fine too.

Quote:
-Deatschwerks DW300?
wouldnt touch Deatschwerks stuff again after their injectors

Quote:
-If I ball out and buy a Sard pump from Japan am I guaranteed JDM tyte reliability?
zero input on the SARD unit.

Quote:
walbro works fine. just keep your tank above 1/4 otherwise you will burn the amp out in the pump. Denso Supra pump is my best route vote 100% and worth wiring in a relay to keep consistent 12v (S13 only gets 10v to the pump IIRC).

Old 12-10-2022, 10:48 AM   #23805
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
no idea on current walbro quality. went thru 1 in my current 240 after 4-5 years of daily driving. currently on my 2nd... car is no longer daily driven and pump was replaced in like 2015.

these require wiring in a relay... they dont have the same amp in them walbros do and wont supply consistent fuel pressure after 4000-5000rpms (figured this out via gauge in my car)

if these are still made and available... they are 100% worth the trouble of running a relay! had one in my previous S13 from 06-09. can handle E85 just fine too.

zero input on the SARD unit.

walbro works fine. just keep your tank above 1/4 otherwise you will burn the amp out in the pump. Denso Supra pump is my best route vote 100% and worth wiring in a relay to keep consistent 12v (S13 only gets 10v to the pump IIRC).
I actually saw you endorse the supra pump and naysay the Walbro in some really old threads which somewhat inspired this question. Any special notes for installing a supra pump into an S13 sending unit?
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 04:38 PM   #23806
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
What's the 2022 consensus for RELIABILITY/LONGEVITY regarding go-to in tank fuel pumps for simple SR/KA-T style drivetrains? Not worried about E85.

-Denso Supra TT OE pump?
-Deatschwerks DW300?

i'm a big hater on aem pumps. First one failed in under a year (street driven maybe 15k miles). Sent it back to aem, they wouldn't warranty it since purchase date was over a year. it was like a year and 3 weeks. They offered to "refurb" it for $50. They refurb'd it, sent it back to me, and it was DOA.
I sent it back to them, they sent me a "new" one, it was also DOA. Fuck aem fuel pumps.

+1 for IF you can find an oem Supra TT pump, jump on that shit.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 10:51 AM   #23807
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
The Carter/NAPA P72255 seems to be a reboxed Denso OE but it might be luck of the draw.

Also Denso has an 'aftermarket' part number for it, Denso 951-0014. Discontinued but a bunch of places claim to have them.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:51 AM   #23808
splitfire
Leaky Injector

splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Question about Flex-a-lite electric fans.

Could this metal backplate be tossed? (clearance issues)

image courtesy of jr_ss
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 08:08 AM   #23809
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Yes, but it's only going to gain you that thickness of the plate (1/8"), it's up against the back bearing housing of the motor. Flex-A-Lite just puts that on there for branding and I guess to protect the wiring harness, behind it it's going to look like any other generic e-fan.
Old 12-21-2022, 06:41 PM   #23810
mothon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
mothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond reputemothon has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:

What happened with the injectors?
Old 12-22-2022, 08:04 AM   #23811
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:

-Denso Supra TT OE pump?
-Deatschwerks DW300?

I've had the DW300 since 2019 or so on a S15 SR car. Holding up so far, then again the car isn't driven a whole lot.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 09:12 PM   #23812
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I'm not sure if there is a solution out there, but has anyone used a cargo net for an S14 trunk? Maybe something for a Maxima or Altima that can be adapted? It would be nice to keep my groceries from flying around back there.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 12:23 AM   #23813
Snilssson
Leaky Injector

Snilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really niceSnilssson is just really nice
Has anyone fitted a stronger wastegate on a regular ol' T28 turbo, what brackets did you use?
Snilssson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 12:54 PM   #23814
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I'm not sure if there is a solution out there, but has anyone used a cargo net for an S14 trunk? Maybe something for a Maxima or Altima that can be adapted? It would be nice to keep my groceries from flying around back there.
Cargo nets are pretty generic, the only thing you need to mount one are the little hook/clips that fit in place of the fasteners for your rear trunk trim.

The most secure install would probably be to use something like Subaru's rubber mushroom nuts into the body at the locations marked with a star and then thread in the Subaru hooks to secure the trunk trim instead of the clips that go there. Toyota commonly uses a similar design with J-nuts, I don't remember if you have room for J-nuts there or not though.

Nissan has a clip with a D-ring for the A33 Maxima, Z33, etc. that might work in the same spot but I think it might be too shallow to fit through both layers of the trim securely. But you might be able to use those at locations marked 84916F. That clip is part number 84937-6P100.
Old 12-28-2022, 04:03 PM   #23815
Agamemnon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (20)
Agamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfectionAgamemnon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADriver View Post
Cargo nets are pretty generic, the only thing you need to mount one are the little hook/clips that fit in place of the fasteners for your rear trunk trim.

The most secure install would probably be to use something like Subaru's rubber mushroom nuts into the body at the locations marked with a star and then thread in the Subaru hooks to secure the trunk trim instead of the clips that go there. Toyota commonly uses a similar design with J-nuts, I don't remember if you have room for J-nuts there or not though.

Nissan has a clip with a D-ring for the A33 Maxima, Z33, etc. that might work in the same spot but I think it might be too shallow to fit through both layers of the trim securely. But you might be able to use those at locations marked 84916F. That clip is part number 84937-6P100.
Dude thanks so much! This helps a lot. I got a good idea where to go from here.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 12:38 AM   #23816
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:

-Denso Supra TT OE pump?
-Deatschwerks DW300?

I recently installed another dw200 after my previous one that I bought in 2010 or so finally died after being run in 2 cars. Super solid pump, it's really quiet and I literally run it til it's on fumes before filling up every week.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:30 PM   #23817
Whitey13
Zilvia Junkie

Whitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enough
Is there a transmission for a 1JZ into S14 swap that doesn’t require bashing the tunnel?
Whitey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 09:33 PM   #23818
Whitey13
Zilvia Junkie

Whitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enoughWhitey13 will become famous soon enough
duplicate post

Last edited by Whitey13; 01-09-2023 at 06:28 AM..
Whitey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 09:10 AM   #23819
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey13 View Post
Is there a transmission for a 1JZ into S14 swap that doesn?t require bashing the tunnel?
G-Forcs GSR is pretty small.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 01:37 PM   #23820
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Quote:
SR20 bearings. I was watching a video of a guy rebuilding one (S13) and he said that the block has numbers on it that correspond to bearing sizes and you have to match the bearing sizes to each number listed on the block. Over the years I have seen many of you talk about building SR20's and have never seen this bearing thing mentioned.

video I am talking about starts at 3:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdvnIPHNKM8

I guess my question is, is this correct? He literally says you cannot just buy a set of ACL race bearings and throw in their yet I see a lot of builds doing just that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
He's correct. I just checked my S14 SR manual and the same procedure is listed in the FSM.
Circling back to this.

FSM says to use oversized bearings if the crankshot measurements are off. Are the oversized bearings good enough or do they need to be matched like regular bearings?
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote