Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-02-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
chuki

Trader Rating: (0)
chuki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey everyone

hi everyone just wanted to say hello. Obviously im a nooby. Here's my background info. I own a 92 hatch(auto , but it used to be my moms) and a 93 coupe (5-speed ) I plan on ka-t the 5 speed and using the auto as a daily driver.

Now here's my first question. I have currently 4 grand that i have saved up, more coming over summer. But my engine has 162,267 miles. Now if compression and everything checks out to be ok, should i even consider doing a small 5-7 psi intercooled setup (for now)? This engine mileage thing is really making me nervous and i dont think ill have enough to get a re-built (preferrably phatka-t) and the basic turbo needs. So im just wondering from you guys with experience is it ok?? Personally i would say HELL NO!!!!! But im no master mechanic and have no experiance with turbo charged cars at all.( i have recently purchased "Turbochargers" by hugh macinnes and have read it 3 times over now) Im 20 years old and have had a 240 since 16 (was a hand me down that was bought in 92 by my mom...lucky i guess?). Or should i just buy all the basic turboing parts hold on to them until i can fund a new engine.

O yea and if your thinking use the engine from the other one....it has 170,000 plus miles lol so i cant do that either. And my little bro has 160,000 on his too so..im screwed lol. Yea my 240 crave rubbed off onto my brother....poor guy lol.

sorry for the rant...just anxious to boost, but dont want to blow up. Better safe than sorry. Thanx guys.
chuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
My first suggestion would be Search. There is a KA-T stickie in Tech and alot of good info in threads from the past. Good luck with the project. Welcome to Zilvia.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:42 PM   #3
chuki

search for what though?? I just want to know if the mileage thing would be ok for a relatively small setup....that is if compression checks to be good. I know turboing a car that isnt turbo stock with alot of miles on it is crazy, but iv heard of people doing it and running relatively well. Everyone seems to have there own ideas and opinions though so..... i dunno, im just looking for someone that has turbo experience behind them to give an opinion to if this would be ok for the time being. I dont care if i run 5 psi max. I just want to get some hands on experience behind my belt with a small setup rather than diving into a 300hp setup. Ya know what i mean. Im not trying to be the city rice boy champion, i just want to "tune" my shit and be happy with what iv done, then upgrade accordingly. With that said, im sure ill search like a mad man anyways. Just cuz i feind for more knowledge. thanx for the reply.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:04 PM   #4
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

Team Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Team Rootbeer
there are countless guys w/ high mileage turbo setups on kas, my car just turned 100k and im about 500$ away from comepleting my setup.....basically if the compression checks out and there are no oil leaks you should be good no matter what the miles are.....good luck, have fun, and welcome!

-ps...get a leakdown and compression test done b4 you start building your setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodv
90% of the cars posted here are stock or with original rims painted black
I'm not an asshole but is the true..
Team Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:06 PM   #5
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
OR you could put a V8 in there and not be a snail pushin pussy
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:10 PM   #6
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

Team Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Team Rootbeer
haha that thing got a hemi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodv
90% of the cars posted here are stock or with original rims painted black
I'm not an asshole but is the true..
Team Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:14 PM   #7
chuki

yea thats what i figured. If the compression and leakdown comes out positive, then ill start. Yea iv heard of people doing it with over 100,xxx miles but im damn close to 200,000. I just like to make 100% sure that its an ok idea before i put in hard work and time, not to mention money and then have it blow up in a week lol.

anyone else feel free to reply.

thanx.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:15 PM   #8
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

TheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakotoS13
Sure.. Once you instal your V8, then you can talk.
TheSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 08:16 PM   #9
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
hey buddy, you're a newb again so eat my Ahole!

hehe

p.s. at the very least i will TRY MY BEST to get a large displacement motor in my car so i can hit 350+whp NA with perfect reliability.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:17 PM   #10
chuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakotoS13
snails are fun though. And pussy, well thats on a different level of fun. lol
Old 06-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #11
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
ummmmmmmm makoto when u swap it then u can say... LOL as for now keep dreaming till that field is played...and we aint getting any younger... lets see u make that stride....
as for my offer on advice.. dont buy anything till youve researched enough and been on zilvia and ka-t.org for more then 6 months.. then u can make a call on what u need to do.... if u dont think u can do it.. sell ur 240 and get a prius
Old 06-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #12
MakotoS13
BANNED

dude, im telling you. if this doesn't happen its cause im financially unable to do so or i got a different toy to play with.

so it is written, so it shall be done.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:33 PM   #13
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
^makoto 1st comandment?
Old 06-03-2005, 12:57 AM   #14
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
If you plan on boosting, plan on a lowmile engine. Save up cash for some internal work, ie. new solid lifters, pistons, rings, all that good stuff. once you've got all the major internal parts you wanna put in, rebuild and install the new parts. Step #1 should be reading that KA-T stickie in tech. Step#2 should be support mods for the engine and the turbo.

PS. Stay away from BD. and STDs
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote