Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-17-2008, 12:59 PM   #331
a_ahmed
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
anyone got pix on s13 without wide fenders with 17x9+17 and falken 255/40/17 or any other 255/40/17 in here... i am so anxious to get mine man... but i have to wait i wana see what its gona look like if someone has it heh
a_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #332
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftyour40 View Post
yes. rolled now they need a slight pull.

they are just a little thiner then the 275 my co worker runs on his vett I would not call that supper narrow. You are right they do seem kind of narrow though. but it's fine it saves me from having to pull the shit out of the fender.

for now at least. I think next time I need tires I'm going w/275s
There's no way I would run anything that tall up front. Maybe if you could find some 275/35/17 it would be worth going wider. You would be better off getting some grippy 255/40/17 like some RS-R, RE01R, Neova, Azenis, RS-2. Prices aren't bad for the non-jappo brands either.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #333
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ahmed View Post
anyone got pix on s13 without wide fenders with 17x9+17 and falken 255/40/17 or any other 255/40/17 in here... i am so anxious to get mine man... but i have to wait i wana see what its gona look like if someone has it heh
I have 17x9 +20 wheels with 255/40/17 falken's on them on my car. Check out my VB pic gallery for pics as I am at work and can't post pics from here. I don't think 3 mil of offset will really make a difference if all you need is an idea of how they look and what you are going to have to do to fit them. I had to roll my fender lips and pull the fenders about 1/2" to 3/4". The rear suspension gains a LOT of camber as it compresses so the tires and wheels can actually stick out past the fender a bit and still not rub. Mine stick out about 1/8" give or take.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #334
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybert View Post
There's no way I would run anything that tall up front. Maybe if you could find some 275/35/17 it would be worth going wider. You would be better off getting some grippy 255/40/17 like some RS-R, RE01R, Neova, Azenis, RS-2. Prices aren't bad for the non-jappo brands either.
It is not the front where the heighth of a 275/40 would be an issue. A taller and wider tire will not only widen the contact patch, but also lengthen it, which means more available grip. In the rear however it will screw up the total gear ratios a bit and not pull quite as hard since it effectively has a lower ratio. I plan on running 275/40/17 r-compounds in the near future, but I will change my rear end gear ratio to compensate first. I'll probably run the 4.6 ring and pinion from the x-terra, but I need to run all the numbers and make sure that that will not be too much.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:11 PM   #335
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
^ i have a 275/40/17 in the back. and 235/40 r17 in the front. so my gear ratio is going to be mixed up with the taller wheels. will it make it longer or how does that work. will i have more time in each gear.
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:23 PM   #336
Flybert
Post Whore!

Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
It is not the front where the heighth of a 275/40 would be an issue.
Have fun rubbing inner fender then.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:12 PM   #337
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
And you can drift on wide tires too.......

Old 04-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #338
driftyour40
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
driftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
aren’t there people in this thread running 285/35 18s on pulled fenders, I'm sure I will manage, if not then I will modify the car or I will run 265s like I will be. maybe a different brand that’s not running as narrow.

I'll end up giving it a shot anyways there are some slightly used 275s in the back of the shop I could test fit, so I'm not going to lose anything by trying.

What I want to know is, should I invest in a PS cooler?

Last edited by driftyour40; 04-20-2008 at 10:15 PM..
driftyour40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:37 PM   #339
driftyour40
Zilvia Addict

driftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the roughdriftyour40 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng1988 View Post
Sorry but do you happen to have any pictures of directly behind the wheel/fender, I can't really see how far it sticks out? I have 18-9.5 +12 and am trying to find the tires I want.
No, not right now, as I said in my first post I was just test fitting and I took them back off the car until body work is done.

gsracer your car is sick.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #340
Flybert
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftyour40 View Post
aren’t there people in this thread running 285/35 18s on pulled fenders, I'm sure I will manage, if not then I will modify the car or I will run 265s like I will be. maybe a different brand that’s not running as narrow.

I'll and up giving it a shot anyways there are some slightly used 275s in the back of the shop I could test fit, so I'm not going to lose anything by trying.

What I want to know is, should I invest in a PS cooler?
The smart guys in this thread are actually running 285/30/18 up front and yes, you should invest in a P/S cooler.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #341
T00ch
Zilvia Member

T00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to T00ch

these are my current wheels..tire size is i believe 205/40
..im not sure what numbers to look for..but i want a little more tread like thicker side walls on it cuz i dont have the best of roads around here and with that low pro of a tire ill feel every bump lol
T00ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #342
Flybert
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00ch View Post

these are my current wheels..tire size is i believe 205/40
..im not sure what numbers to look for..but i want a little more tread like thicker side walls on it cuz i dont have the best of roads around here and with that low pro of a tire ill feel every bump lol
Sell those pizza cutters to one of the local pizzerias in jersey and get your self some real wheels.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:46 AM   #343
T00ch
Zilvia Member

T00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to beholdT00ch is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to T00ch
lol i picked em up for like..a buck fifty..figured you cant go wrong with that. i just wanna toss them on cuz i still got my all seasons on the 7 spokes and i wanna save em for next winter.. any help with tire sizes?
T00ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #344
driftyour40
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00ch View Post
lol i picked em up for like..a buck fifty..figured you cant go wrong with that. i just wanna toss them on cuz i still got my all seasons on the 7 spokes and i wanna save em for next winter.. any help with tire sizes?
sell them and get something else run stock wheels it looks better then bad/wrong sized wheels.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #345
Flybert
Post Whore!

Yeah, if you have no means to sell, just get some with a taller profile for a little extra cushion. 205/45/17 would be cool.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #346
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Have fun rubbing inner fender then.
Inner fender!!!??? Are you serious? This is the MAXIMUM rubber and wheel thread! Our fender liners were gone a LOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG time ago! LOL!
Old 04-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #347
Flybert
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Inner fender!!!??? Are you serious? This is the MAXIMUM rubber and wheel thread! Our fender liners were gone a LOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG time ago! LOL!
Inner fender, wheel well, same thing. Around these parts, we call that plastic you throw away when you first get your car a fender liner. Tall tires likes to hit metal up front on s-chassis. Nothing like losing suspension travel and heating up your tires because you chose a stupid size.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:02 PM   #348
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Inner fender, wheel well, same thing. Around these parts, we call that plastic you throw away when you first get your car a fender liner. Tall tires likes to hit metal up front on s-chassis. Nothing like losing suspension travel and heating up your tires because you chose a stupid size.
I have to agree with this.

275/40 doesn't have a point on our cars. It's wide, yeah, but what it makes up for in ultimate grip and longevity it eliminates in clearance and gear ratio issues.

The 285/30 is shorter, lighter, and more readily available. It's a pretty easy choice.

Can we keep the 205s out of the thread please? Thanks.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #349
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
I have 255/40/17's in the front right now and am not even close to hitting anything. 275 is simply the next step up and the sidewall shouldn't be more than 5-10mm taller anyways. Now if I missed the point and we are talking about 18's then 40's are absolutely too tall. I don't even know why anyone would consider 275/40/18's though, OBVIOUSLY too tall there.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #350
driftyour40
Zilvia Addict

I looked at my co workers vett and set my rim with the his and my 265s are taller.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:31 PM   #351
Firestorm
Zilvia Junkie

Firestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Firestorm
i've got a question to ask, i mounted my wheels today and i noticed on full lock my tire rubs against the tension rod. the other way round it doesn't even come near the wheel well. wheels in front are 8.5x17 offset 30, tire is a 235/40R17. so, could this be because of the offset or due to my castor being way off since i installed aftermarket tension rods?

either way, will an alignment get this fixed or do i need spacers? i planned on running 5mm spacers, hope that will be enough to clear coils as well as tension rods, etc.
Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #352
driftyour40
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
i've got a question to ask, i mounted my wheels today and i noticed on full lock my tire rubs against the tension rod. the other way round it doesn't even come near the wheel well. wheels in front are 8.5x17 offset 30, tire is a 235/40R17. so, could this be because of the offset or due to my castor being way off since i installed aftermarket tension rods?

either way, will an alignment get this fixed or do i need spacers? i planned on running 5mm spacers, hope that will be enough to clear coils as well as tension rods, etc.
you should start with an alignment, you shouldn't need a spacer, do you run coilovers?
Old 04-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #353
Firestorm
Zilvia Junkie

Firestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond reputeFirestorm has a reputation beyond repute
yes

msglength

oh, btw, forgot to mention, S13.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #354
driftyour40
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
yes

msglength

oh, btw, forgot to mention, S13.
if you are clearing coilovers then you should clear everything else, I say get the alignment and go from there. You need one anyways so do it.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #355
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:

It may be that your steering rack is not centered properly. Count the turns from center to lock in either direction. If there is a noticeable difference in the position of the steering wheel when it is locked in either direction then your rack is not centered. A LOT of mechanics are too lazy or inept to properly center the rack as it can be a bitch if you don't get it right the first time.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:56 PM   #356
Firestorm
Zilvia Junkie

thanks, i'll check that tomorrow.

if thats not the problem, it must be an alignment issue. i'm gonna get one anyway, so we'll see!

+rep to both of you!
Old 04-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #357
gotta240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
gotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfectiongotta240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I never thought of that. How is the rack centered?
gotta240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #358
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta240 View Post
I never thought of that. How is the rack centered?
You count the turns, generallly with the rack out of the car, and figure out where center is. This really takes more skill and patience than you would think. Then you make sure the steering wheel is centered before you connect the lower steering shaft coupler to the rack. Once everything is centered you connect the coupler to the rack. Now BEFORE you tighten everything down 100% check the turns on the steering wheel to verify that the rack is centered and the steering shaft coupler is in the correct position. If it is off then you move the coupler one tooth in whatever direction is necessary untill you get it right. Keep in mind that on s-13's (and probably s-14's too) the steering wheel always seems to be off 1/2 tooth for some reason. I fought with mine for like 2 hrs before I realized that.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #359
240 OR DIE
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
240 OR DIE is making his/her stupidity well-known240 OR DIE is making his/her stupidity well-known240 OR DIE is making his/her stupidity well-known240 OR DIE is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
well I found out it doesnt take much to fit 275s on 17x10s up front. To get them to fit I had to do a little pull on the fenders, raised her right at an inch, also did a little bangin on the fire wall. I used a +25 offset to match rears so I can rotate tires as well as get away from staggered setups. So to clear the coilover I used a 15mm kics spacer, which left me maybe 3-5 mm clearance.....can you say tight. Heres the results

At this weekends Divisional Auto x
1st place in sm

Old 04-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #360
240 OR DIE
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
240 OR DIE is making his/her stupidity well-known240 OR DIE is making his/her stupidity well-known240 OR DIE is making his/her stupidity well-known240 OR DIE is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Heres some hope for s13 owners
285/30 r18 on 18x9.5 +40....stock fenders

My buddy with an EVO 9, let Lance put these on after the event. The only thing he would need to do is do the smallest pull imaginable. I think putting a screwdriver in there and pulling would allow it to not rub. upfront is another issue, but you CAN fitt this size just real high offsets