Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #31
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
The S2000 cluster is kind of ugly in my opinion.
Late 80's Toyota Camry has a similar layout, but cooler because it looks like an old video game.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #32
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to irax
what year camry because I can't find any other pictures of that
Old 06-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #33
GeneralTso
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
GeneralTso is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
won't switching between anything but a 4 cylinder be a pain in the ass because of the tach signal as far as just wiring it in? i'm pretty sure that problem can be solved by a dakota digital converter box. im suprised noone mentioned a z32 cluster.
GeneralTso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #34
Matej
Post Whore!

Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
what year camry because I can't find any other pictures of that
1987 and 1988 if I recall correctly.
This and the Maxima one are my favorites so far. Unfortunately they both appear to be quite rare.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #35
dudermagee
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dudermagee is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinnmiami240sx View Post
we tried doing the s2k cluster on out track car.

got it to light up and that was about it. You need to try to convert the s14/s13 analog signals to work with the s2k digital cluster. Aperantly its not easy. The hondda guys do it because some of there clusters are digital. At least thats what we came up with about 2 years ago.
really?
I doubt the eg/ef chassis are digital...
S2000 Cluster Swap Wiring Guide - Honda-Tech

its hard as hell in hatches because they are all cable driven shits
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=52406
dudermagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:08 PM   #36
irax
Post Whore!

irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralTso View Post
won't switching between anything but a 4 cylinder be a pain in the ass because of the tach signal as far as just wiring it in? i'm pretty sure that problem can be solved by a dakota digital converter box. im suprised noone mentioned a z32 cluster.
has anyone done a Z32 cluster swap into a 240 before?
Old 06-24-2011, 02:07 AM   #37
GeneralTso
Leaky Injector

GeneralTso is an unknown quantity at this point
well i searched and came up with this:

the only thing that guy did though was swap out tach and speedo.
GeneralTso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 AM   #38
Jspec603
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Jspec603 has much to be proud ofJspec603 has much to be proud ofJspec603 has much to be proud ofJspec603 has much to be proud ofJspec603 has much to be proud ofJspec603 has much to be proud ofJspec603 has much to be proud ofJspec603 has much to be proud ofJspec603 has much to be proud ofJspec603 has much to be proud ofJspec603 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jspec603
What about Z31?

Jspec603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:19 AM   #39
sulik

sulik is an unknown quantity at this point
It looks like the tachometer from KITT -> Knight Rider.
sulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #40
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
thats good thinkin guys

get all these shitty ***DIGITAL*** 80s-era gauge clusters and tell people that you did the swap for the same reason that the LFA has a LCD cluster, because your shit revs too fast and the stock gauge cluster cant keepup

honestly.... 96-98 180sx, the end for all s13 cars.

s14? dunno, i never thought the stock cluster looked bad, but ive seen plenty of people put s15 clusters in.. not that i think thats superior.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #41
c72c
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (25)
c72c is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspec603 View Post
What about Z31?

I always liked the look of my father in law's cluster ^^. I'd rock one.

shit, you could even go trans am

If digital is your flavor, check out this link VWVortex.com - 1980s OEM Digital Dashes, they've got plenty listed/shown.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #42
Creeper

Creeper is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Creeper
For months I been looking for a Maxima digital cluster, and one day I found it. There are extreamly rare not all maximas has them. now for the easy part, buying a S13 vert and installing the D-Cluster
Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #43
irax
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
thats good thinkin guys

get all these shitty ***DIGITAL*** 80s-era gauge clusters and tell people that you did the swap for the same reason that the LFA has a LCD cluster, because your shit revs too fast and the stock gauge cluster cant keepup

honestly.... 96-98 180sx, the end for all s13 cars.

s14? dunno, i never thought the stock cluster looked bad, but ive seen plenty of people put s15 clusters in.. not that i think thats superior.
LOL riiight, because thats why anyone wants to do that...

I'm about ready to put the dash back in the car and get current tags, but I figured the s14 dash and cluster is rather generic, and I would like to swap it out for something else. "shitty digital 80's era cluster" would be neat. I am a little tempted to swap out for the IS 300 dash

Old 06-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #44
wbarrett48473
Leaky Injector

wbarrett48473 is an unknown quantity at this point
I wish someone would put a Digital Y33 Dash in their car.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #45
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
If somebody made a plug and play kit for one of these digital clusters, like broadfield, id honestly pay for it
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #46
K_style
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (63)
K_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfectionK_style is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 63 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by irax View Post
I always wished Tach was in the center instead of Speedometer....

I would love to do IS300 swap
K_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #47
Matej
Post Whore!

That cluster looks like a cheap watch.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #48
c72c
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (25)
c72c is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I was going to put the altezza cluster in my corona if I ended up going with the 3s swap.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #49
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
If somebody made a plug and play kit for one of these digital clusters, like broadfield, id honestly pay for it
The problem is that there is no demand for this. So you would have to absorb all of the cost for me to figure it out.... could easily be $1000. If you think there would be a demand, then you are mistaken.

Heck, my custom clusters.... I have only sold 5 ever. And that was even selling them for 50% off. Now that I'm doubling the price I don't expect to really sell any. I have probably answered around 200 PM's about my clusters and have only sold 3 from those PM's. For me I don't really care because that's not my business. I was just offering them so fellow Nissan enthusiasts could have a cool, custom cluster.

Your best bet is to take the time and try to figure it out on your own. Your labor is free, mine is $50/hr. Even if you don't know how, this is a perfect learning opportunity. If you fail, then you are not really out anything but your time. You are only out the money that you spent on the cluster that you wanted to swap in and an S13 cluster that you would use to cut up the harness instead of your own.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #50
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
I don't think it would be too complicated. Its more of finding the info needed to wire it in
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #51
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
I don't think it would be too complicated. Its more of finding the info needed to wire it in
It's definitely not complicated, it's a matter of how much time it's going to take. And my time is what costs money... whether it's easy or complicated. It takes time to find schematics, look through them etc. If you are paying me to do the job, then you also have to pay me to find the schematics, look through them and figure them out. Then do the actual work. A 7 hour day of work for me will cost someone $350... and my labor is cheap compared to most.

So I think you should try it, succeed at it and marvel at your hard work afterwards

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #52
irax
Post Whore!

$50 an hour for electrical is cheap as fuck too

I think I'm going to get a Y33 Digital cluster and wire that up, but I think before that I need to get that better paying job
Old 06-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #53
godzilla_753
Leaky Injector

godzilla_753 is an unknown quantity at this point
Doing a r34 GTT cluster swap into my s13 now. Alotttt of trimming involved, already got the wiring figured out, just gotta get in the dash now. Ill post up some pics soon.
godzilla_753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #54
imotion s14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
imotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to beholdimotion s14 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulik View Post
It looks like the tachometer from KITT -> Knight Rider.
Well everything from the 80s looks like that haha

I love it but I wouldn't stick that shit in my S14.
imotion s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #55
One_love_silvia
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (38)
One_love_silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
i like where this thread is going...
1995 s14 240sx "Akuma"- RIP
1995 s14 240sx SE "Kintaro"
One_love_silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #56
JustA240

JustA240 is an unknown quantity at this point
I know for a fact that "Razmus" on here had a working s2k cluster in his S14 at one point
JustA240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #57
irax
Post Whore!

BTW for those who haven't seen the PlusONEten build

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandal View Post
Ok,
Here is the next update… this is the interior progress.
The dash from the Z was disassembled and the two bigger pieces of the dash were loosely mocked up over the 240SX steering column and old steel dash support.

It looked like everything would fit with a little trimming. We could use a “cut” line in the dash at each side and would end up with a clean look…perhaps. The steel sub-frame for the dash was mocked up and it looked good as well. At the proper distance for the steering column used from the Z, there would be a gap at the front of the panel at the windshield, but the curves looked natural and we could fabricate an aluminum filler strip and cover it with black vinyl. We will also fabricate two end fillers that transition to the door panels for a clean look.

Next we looked at all of the dash components for air and heat and checked their fit also. It was very tight but would work with some modification. The heater core was located more near the middle. The A/C would work also if we added some clearance and modified the air intake plenum.

We made these collars to fit the firewall and allow the heater hoses to pass thru. They are recessed to allow more clearance between the engine and firewall.

This is what they look like installed. The big hole next to this collar was added for one of the main harnesses from the Z that goes to the gas pedal and steering column.

The other holes that weren’t needed were welded up.

The steering column was also moved toward the frame rail to give extra clearance at the starter. This collar and bearing piece was made, and uses the original studs in the firewall.

Everything fit pretty well, so we fabricated the 350Z steel dash support into the 240. The center support lined right up with the tunnel as well. Once the steel support was in, everything else just snapped into place.

The inside primed… the flanged grey bracket will hold the front of the dash and trim strip

Primed with epoxy

These brackets are gusseted at both ends. When it’s all bolted up and bolted to the tunnel it’s quite sturdy.

The center fit nicely. We built a custom lower dash panel that transitions to the center console and everything fits…. more of that later.

The dash support is in and stuff is going back into place. There are a lot of wires!

Here’s Allen, checking out the steering wheel position.

The 240 center console didn’t line up with the new Z dash, so we built a center console from .060 aluminum. The three hole A/C control cluster bracket is made from .080 aluminum.

The hardware from both the Z and 240 were used.

The grey pieces have been black wrinkle powder coated. The trim ring and shifter boot are from the Z .

This panel had the airbag. We made a plate to cover the big hole where it was,and skimmed it with bondo and recovered it in black vinyl

That’s about it for the front part of the interior.
More to come ….
Old 06-28-2011, 02:04 AM   #58
kornmanz
Leaky Injector

kornmanz is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow that Z dash looks too sick. If only I had the money to pay those guys to do that to my car. That's seriously very very nice work.
kornmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 PM   #59
iLagX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (40)
iLagX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to iLagX
wow love the z33 dash on a s13!! how much would you charge!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #60
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
ive got EVERY wire traced down and labeled, prolly wouldnt be too hard to go for something crazy eventually!