Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

View Poll Results: Do you think this is real?
YES! 14 20.59%
NO! 36 52.94%
Im not sure, you need to test it. 18 26.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2011, 12:55 AM   #1
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (20)
Tantwoforty is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
$130 ebay HKS bov, Fake or real? you be the judge. (Gaaang of pics)

So a friend ended up ordering me one of these, they didn't really about knockoffs and stuff and thought it was a good deal, cant hate on someone for trying to help you out. So ill give it a shot and if it fails, ill happily buy a real one like i was already about to do

So it was listed for like $120 on ebay.
Came with a HKS lanyard and free shipping
got to me in one day
Would someone take apart their "Real" HKS valve and take the same pics?
Dont post your stupid knock off hate, i dont care.
It will be another month or so before i can test it.

Someone make a caption to this picture.. lol Y U BUY KNOCKOFF?? idk lol

i diddnt know you only had to take out the 4, im dumb.

messen up my shots..

screwing back the ones i diddnt take out? girlfriend cam..

I used barcode scanner on my girlfriedns epic, it showed this

our keys lol

Last edited by Tantwoforty; 12-16-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Tantwoforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
just looking at the price for a BNIB condition bov and the fact it's on ebay it's probably a knockoff, my friend had one of these. I heard they work and sound pretty good though
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
idahotuner
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (17)
idahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond reputeidahotuner has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to idahotuner Send a message via MSN to idahotuner
i say its real. just because its on ebay dont make it a fake. alot of businesses sell parts on ebay that are over stock, looking at all the pictures, its real
idahotuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
Lvnismo
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Lvnismo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
THE CAT IS REAL!!
It looks real to me... Imma try to post the pick of my friend hks blow off valve..
Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 AM   #5
rat240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (87)
rat240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 87 reviews
knockoffs are getting harder to spot . the company's who make them basically replicate the entire package and instructions
so yours is most likely fake
Old 12-16-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to beholdDRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Looks like a fake. Can you take a better pic of it from the side ? Like a direct side shot with the fins and base. Or pm me since I might forget about this thread. The price is also a little fishy. But it could just new old stock that just needs to go. The lanyard looks real lol.
DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:18 AM   #7
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTING_SIL_EIGHTY View Post
Looks like a fake. Can you take a better pic of it from the side ? Like a direct side shot with the fins and base. Or pm me since I might forget about this thread. The price is also a little fishy. But it could just new old stock that just needs to go. The lanyard looks real lol.
Yeah ill take a few better pics for you tomorrow.
I was more excited about the lanyard
I agree its a little fishy with the price, but looking at it physicality it looks pretty good
Lets keep the poll going!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #8
7evil
Zilvia FREAK!

7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough7evil is a jewel in the rough
It seems so real that I would say that is false! However I think it is a replica made ​​in China, and now we are selling lots are IDENTICAL to the original in every detail.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
Chaluska
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Chaluska is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
try it out, if it works, use it.

if not, file a paypal dispute, and demand a refund
Old 12-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
yup thats a bov
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
rblover

rblover is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah its real, there are a few different types of the ssqv thats the non adjustable, but the fake ones say sqv instead of hks, but all the internals are hks just the outside housing is different, it'll still work the same so why not.
rblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
hartig
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
hartig is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
HKS USA Counterfeit Identification Center
seems suspicious that your box has a barcode right there when the real one has no barcode..
i could easily be wrong though
hartig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #13
rebornS14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
rebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of lightrebornS14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rebornS14
HKS USA Counterfeit Identification Center

i say it's real or china upped their game cause i can't find any points that say its not real.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #14
omgRWDgoodness!
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (48)
omgRWDgoodness! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX88 View Post
yup thats a bov
*slow clap*
Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #15
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
im gonna say fake (i have an authentic SSQV3 on my car to compare to). yours doesnt have the holofoil letters on the HKS logo located on the rear of the BOV. also, the piston inside the BOV should be a deep red...yours appears to be pink/purple

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #16
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
im gonna say fake (i have an authentic SSQV3 on my car to compare to). yours doesnt have the holofoil letters on the HKS logo located on the rear of the BOV. also, the piston inside the BOV should be a deep red...yours appears to be pink/purple
I think only the v3 has the big holofoil thing on the back, this is a V2 wich i dont think ever had anything more than the small HKS logo

Looks extctley like the one on FRsport oh and mine had the little black cover on the nipple, i just lost it before taking the pictures
HKS 71004-KK001 Super SQV Blow Off Valve SSQV Limited Edition Black

Old 12-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #17
slw240sx
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
slw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant futureslw240sx has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slw240sx
if the HKS photos on their site are correct for most or all knock offs, then this is more then likely a knock off. look at the cap nuts holding the back section together. the caps in these pictures are longer before getting to the "dome" of the cap. i have a few broken knock offs here with me and they all have the same type of nuts. the real HKS have more of a bullet cap less straight before getting to the dome. also the BOV i have here has a bead on the vacuum stem not just straight steel pipe. that would also lead me to believe its knock off. i would think the genuine HKS would have that bead also.

The knock offs are getting to the point where they are almost completely identical to the real deals. the best thing for these companies to do to help people from passing off fakes as real is if the companies instituted a serial number program an had a database to which you could register the part and confirm it being legit.

the worst part about all this is... no one knows for sure if these come from the factories that HKS has them manufactured at and purchase them from or if they have just decided to rip them off down to the packaging.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #18
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantwoforty View Post
I think only the v3 has the big holofoil thing on the back, this is a V2 wich i dont think ever had anything more than the small HKS logo

Looks extctley like the one on FRsport oh and mine had the little black cover on the nipple, i just lost it before taking the pictures

if you noticed that on FRSports site, they have this info posted..

"This product is currently unavailable. Please contact us for more information."

FRSport usually only posts that when an item has been discontinued. HKS hasnt made the SSQV 2 for quite a while now (its been over a year i know that). also the price point, if you pay under $200 for a brand new SSQV, especially on ebay, its 90% likely a knock off

EDIT: also, the finishing on the inside of the inlet (where it mounts to the flange) looks fairly unfinished (rough). this is usually a dead giveaway. a real HKS is always smooth and rounded. the fakes end sharply and usually feel jagged. one last thing, if i remember correctly, the flange base itself shouldnt have a mold line on it like yours does. i wound up with a fake HKS SSQV 1 in a trade i did with some kid a while back locally, the quality of the fake compared to my real SSQV 3 was instantly noticable. the pistons were night and day difference, the internal finishing around the inlet like i mentioned above was a huge factor and the nipples were different sizes, the fake was huge, the real one was not.

Last edited by dorkidori_s13; 12-16-2011 at 11:51 AM..
Old 12-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #19
filluptieu
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
filluptieu is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Its not real in my opinion. I posted a thread up of a real one side by side with a fake and the best way to tell is weight. The real one is much heavier because of a higher metal content.
filluptieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
aaronbaird
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
aaronbaird is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aaronbaird
its fake, only because it was a good deal, and it was on ebay.
aaronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #21
jacobs13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (27)
jacobs13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
My brother bought one of these and it was really hard to tell if it was real or not but after comparing it to my real one you could tell the craftsmanship was better. Youll find little imperfections on the fake but non on the real one.
jacobs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #22
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
Pricing suggests that it is fake. And it's not like a one-off thing. The ebay sellers have hundreds at the cheapo-price.

I mean, come on, $80 + free shipping from Singapore? That certainly sounds like genuine HKS pricing.
Universal HKS SQV SSQV 4 IV BOV Turbo Blow Off Valve JDM For ALL Turbocharged B | eBay
Old 12-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #23
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^yup

where is the sellers location? that will tell you your answer right there.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #24
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

The one she ordered shipped from CA
I can weigh it no prob, i have a digital scale.
It dosent really feel jagged anywhere, but the cast line on the flange and poorly finished underside of the cap is a good point.
You need to realize that there is a very substantial difference between the v1 v2 and v3, like 5 years+ of R&D it had better change
Also, it clearly says on the FR sport site that this was discontinued, they only made so many of the black v2's as a USA special promotion in 2010.
I mean, im sure its not real. it will prolly work fine.
Well keep it commin
Old 12-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #25
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

actually the fake ones work like shit...they work decently for a few weeks to month (if youre lucky), then they start messing up. ive been hunting around on various forums since this thread and all the info sounds about the same...they work great for a short time, then crap out completely

save some cash, get a SSQV 4...support real parts (not trying to bust your balls or anything)

Old 12-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #26
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Oh i already have the money put aside for a brand new SSQV 4 i wasnt expecting to get this one
boost leak on me one time, i dare you ill put your ass on the train tracks. lol
Old 12-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #27
doomviillain
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
doomviillain is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to doomviillain
HKS Blow Off Valve ? BOV - real vs fake item
Your argument is invalid.
doomviillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #28
NickIsAZero
Zilvia FREAK!

NickIsAZero is an unknown quantity at this point
It's fake, my buddy bought one a year ago for himself. I stole the HKS lanyard and went on my way.
NickIsAZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #29
Tantwoforty
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickIsAZero View Post
It's fake, my buddy bought one a year ago for himself. I stole the HKS lanyard and went on my way.
i almost lost mine!!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #30
teh smithers
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
teh smithers is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I purchased one of these months ago, from eBay, for the same too-good-to-be-true-price. Real or fake, mine has worked just fine. I'm gonna play devil's advocate and say it's fake (mine probably is too), but it works, so screw it.
teh smithers is offline   Reply With Quote