Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-07-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
mrt

Trader Rating: (0)
mrt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust need mo help

So i was wondering what are some problems using an exhaust without an resinator will i lose HP or will it become noisy???
Any answer would be great.

thanks

Mr T
mrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
AlligatorBling
BANNED

AlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choices
Send a message via AIM to AlligatorBling Send a message via Yahoo to AlligatorBling
I have a custom exhaust setup, a hotshot header running to 2 1/4 pipe i had bent for me at a local shop. im not running the resonator, just a magnaflow muffler.... you wont lose any hp if you remove the resonator, you will probably gain a tad... as for noise, its a little louder, but not by much. Hell, i was running my car with no restriction whatsoever at one time, header to a testpipe that replaced my cat, on back to my magnaflow... and it still wasn't obscenely loud.... i say go for it, rip that thing off
AlligatorBling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:27 PM   #3
SR20DETpwr
Leaky Injector

SR20DETpwr is an unknown quantity at this point
If you don't have a resonator in the end of your eshaust you will loose a little hp due to the fact that it is a bit of a restriction in the exhaust gases flow. And yes, the exhaust should be a little louder w/out the resonator in - the difference w/ it in/out will also depend on the exhaust.
SR20DETpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:40 PM   #4
AlligatorBling
BANNED

AlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choicesAlligatorBling has made poor choices
Send a message via AIM to AlligatorBling Send a message via Yahoo to AlligatorBling
::scratches head:: Huh? Restriction in the flow by eliminating the resonator... ok. That doesn't add up.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:35 PM   #5
balmo
Zilvia Junkie

balmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to balmo
alligatorbling, can you show me what magnaflow muffler you got? i have this and i feel its too loud for my taste:
balmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:42 AM   #6
AlligatorBling
BANNED

go to ....

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/m...reetseries.htm

my muffler is on that page. its #14815

you can also hear sound clips... just click on the sounds link on the magnaflow homepage.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:54 AM   #7
uiuc240
Nissanaholic!

uiuc240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to uiuc240
A resonator is part of the exhaust system to remove annoying harmonic imbalances. If you don't run one, there will be frequencies that...ahem...RESONATE in your car There will be times where the exhaust isn't loud, but other times where it will get 2x to 3x louder simply because it hits the right frequency and is amplified.

Resonators are your friend. Get one

Eric