Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #31
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
Ya there are a lot of broke dicks here but there are still people who spend money on them and may like them. 500 was merely my ceiling of I wont make them if they exceed that. I'd really prefer to see a lower cost than that. Again it's hand made shit not from China.

I can still make them and post but like I've been saying to make them first I have to do the tooling regardless of whether I make more for others. If people are interested it means I may be able to get it done faster and cheaper and more likely I'll go forward with it.
500 is not enough for a project like this. the first problem i see with this project is that you the engineer, are opening yourself up to the (useless) criticism from the uneducated/inexperienced zilvia community. you should not pay attention to their price requests nor should you pay attention to their design requests. you need to do what you think is best, and you need to engineer it in a way that it meets your standards, not zilvia standards. with that said, i can tell you that 500 is not enough to cover the costs AND justify the effort. simply put, you cannot build it at that price point and profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derux View Post
PM me that cad file i want to make a set
get a job, ya bum...! you dont even have a 240 anymore. :-)
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #32
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
RedSiBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
500 is not enough for a project like this. the first problem i see with this project is that you the engineer, are opening yourself up to the (useless) criticism from the uneducated/inexperienced zilvia community. you should not pay attention to their price requests nor should you pay attention to their design requests. you need to do what you think is best, and you need to engineer it in a way that it meets your standards, not zilvia standards. with that said, i can tell you that 500 is not enough to cover the costs AND justify the effort. simply put, you cannot build it at that price point and profit.

thanks man, very appreciated...i mean we'll see, since i have access to all the equipment for tooling it might not be too expensive. it will be to my standards if i make it, plus people saying i could let people buy them and put their own headlights in. NO. Because ill sell it to some guy who does a zip tie headlight install and then some asshole will look at them and post all over the internet on how they look like crap because of that detail.

I'll probably end up making them and offering a group buy, but ultimately having to just make them for only the people willing to put up the cash.
RedSiBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #33
Minz
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Minz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Abflug x Oldschool!

Minz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #34
derux
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (22)
derux is making a name for him/her selfderux is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:

I got to do something to pay for your services...
derux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #35
kouki-gymkhana
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
kouki-gymkhana is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Who said I got the CAD file for free? I was just responding to the picture in the post.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:05 AM   #36
derux
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (22)
derux is making a name for him/her selfderux is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Well you got the fild and I work at a sheetmetal shop so I could make some. I think there was a song in the 80's that went somethig like that.
derux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #37
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Looks like the bastard child of a 300zx
I see a stronger resemblance to something far far worse.

Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #38
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Haha they don't look anything like that...besides it's an s13 it's not really considered a beautiful or classic design. Its basically a combination of a Ferrari Daytona and a corvette anyway.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #39
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
If you made actual good quality replicas of those lights they would sell like crazy. The AB flug lights are the best looking flush lights that I have ever seen for a 240. Anybody with a street driven track car would be stupid to not want them...
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #40
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:

I would say closer to $1,000 for a really nice quality product.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #41
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouki-gymkhana View Post
Who said I got the CAD file for free? I was just responding to the picture in the post.
cool. can i have a copy of the cad file too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post

I would say closer to $1,000 for a really nice quality product.
and then we run into the radiator core support, which MUST be cut.

one of many obstacles, imo...
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #42
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
and then we run into the radiator core support, which MUST be cut.

one of many obstacles, imo...
Cutting and welding is fun, no prob for me. There's no reason to have to cut the core support anyways. The headlights can be designed to clear, I'm pretty sure the AB flug's did. You might have to get a big hole saw to clear the back of the projectors, but that's about it.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #43
Winkler22

Winkler22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would be extremely interested. I have wanted a set for a while because where the adjustable bracket attaches to the pop-up motor is loose on the inside, I have tightened the bolt and nothing. But going down the interstate at night my headlights look like they have Parkinsons. I know you said something about carbon fiber, but I would be worried about it fading or turning yellow like you see some hoods do. Don't know how they look with an HID kit, but you can pick up a set of J30 headlights pretty cheap at a junk yard and that will give you 4 projectors.
Winkler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #44
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

The reason carbon yellows is because of the gel coat on it reacting to uv light
Old 11-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #45
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

I could always cast them out of plastic as well
Old 11-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #46
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkler22 View Post
I would be extremely interested. I have wanted a set for a while because where the adjustable bracket attaches to the pop-up motor is loose on the inside, I have tightened the bolt and nothing. But going down the interstate at night my headlights look like they have Parkinsons. I know you said something about carbon fiber, but I would be worried about it fading or turning yellow like you see some hoods do. Don't know how they look with an HID kit, but you can pick up a set of J30 headlights pretty cheap at a junk yard and that will give you 4 projectors.
Actually that's a really good idea on the J30 projectors. That would be an easy and cheap source for the necessary parts.

Quote:
I could always cast them out of plastic as well
Plastic fades too. Just make sure that your gelcoat is very good quality and UV resistant. Most of the "carbon" parts that fade and yellow are cheap ass quality with non-UV resistant gel-coating.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #47
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Both good points. ^^^ thank you
Old 11-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #48
SR20PWRALTY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
SR20PWRALTY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I would be interested
SR20PWRALTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #49
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Also to add. If I've read correctly the abflug were plug and play, so I don't think cutting should be required. That said. If I add projectors, like j30 ones, I could see us needing to cut which I don't like. Right now I'm finishing up some stuff on my car so I can get my bumper and hood on, then I can start thinking about the headlights. I'll keep everyone updated when I move forward.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #50
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Also to add. If I've read correctly the abflug were plug and play, so I don't think cutting should be required. That said. If I add projectors, like j30 ones, I could see us needing to cut which I don't like. Right now I'm finishing up some stuff on my car so I can get my bumper and hood on, then I can start thinking about the headlights. I'll keep everyone updated when I move forward.
You would have to make an adapter harness, like on the s13 Silvia headlights, to make them plug and play. Really it's not that difficult, BUT it would take extra time and cost extra money.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #51
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Yup that's what I said the plan was. An adapter harness isn't a big deal.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #52
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
omg no no no !!! complete fail .. please dont transform your car into SHIT!
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #53
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Yup complete fail on my track car since I'm simplifying lightening and making it more aerodynamic. Pop ups totally help with that...
Old 11-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #54
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Yup complete fail on my track car since I'm simplifying lightening and making it more aerodynamic. Pop ups totally help with that...
Not to mention that pop-ups absolutely do not weigh a bazillion pounds either...

Some people just have no taste man!
Old 11-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #55
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
Proper HID projectors and high beam projectors should be used not ancient bulbs. And yes the rad support has to be cut, i know been there.
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #56
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Ok good info gripterror. Ill make a template with it then...
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #57
96Turbo
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute96Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Again it's hand made shit not from China.
Hey man, Chinese people have hands too
96Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #58
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
you make em, i'll buy em. i've wanted a set of ab-flug/veilside/cecil lights for years but every time a pair comes up for sale they're either gone before i can come up with $$$ or something else lame happens.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #59
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96Turbo View Post
Hey man, Chinese people have hands too
Haha true, but I never said they didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
you make em, i'll buy em. i've wanted a set of ab-flug/veilside/cecil lights for years but every time a pair comes up for sale they're either gone before i can come up with $$$ or something else lame happens.
Thanks a lot. Your posts definite attitude makes me want to make them just for you.

Welp guys enough people have spoken despite the haters. Ill do it definitely.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #60
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
sam from jspec had these for a long time and i always would drool over em. the price tag was too high for me at that time.
180sx Fixed Headlight

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote