Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #91
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews

Last edited by Matej; 09-12-2013 at 10:39 PM..
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #92
bejota180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
bejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
ok, i didn't really research 90mm modules last time. I searched just for for "projectors" and always ended up at that retrofitsou.... site. Googled those exact words you said and came up with a few HELLA versions of them... picture from the site

They have the option of bihalogen and bixenon which is good to know and also the LED headlights. those would give a much better lightouput as you said. They also have the carrier for them. But im still stuck on the same part of a OEM type bezel.

These would make the project much more worthwhile, even if you are going "sleepy" (i hate that name) headlights or flushmounted. But i would still want a oem surround around them or a crystal or DOT type cover for them if flush mounted.

A CAD would be simple enough to make for the surround and maybe even the crystal. But how to get them produced is where im stuck. Going to have to search if anyone on this island has the way of producing a design in plastic (in my case).
Originally Posted by Taniguchi_Is_#1 View Post
...this is zilvia; prepare to get your feelings hurt.

Last edited by bejota180sx; 09-12-2013 at 12:27 PM..
bejota180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #93
bejota180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

bejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post

that looks like i have a mini gun in place of my headlights... but the plastic/crystal cover is what im talking about in my previous post
Old 09-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #94
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
RedSiBaron is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejota180sx View Post
ok, i didn't really search 90mm modules. I searched just for for "projectors" and always ended up at that retrofitsou.... site. Googled those exact words you said and came up with a few HELLA versions of them... picture from the site

They have the option of bihalogen and bixenon which is good to know and also the LED headlights. those would give a much better lightouput as you said. They also have the carrier for them. But im still stuck on the same part of a OEM type bezel.

These would make the project much more worthwhile, even if you are going "sleepy" (i hate that name) headlights or flushmounted. But i would still want a oem surround around them or a crystal or DOT type cover for them if flush mounted.

A CAD would be simple enough to make for the surround and maybe even the crystal. But how to get them produced is where im stuck. Going to have to search if anyone on this island has the way of producing a design in plastic (in my case).
whats funny is I just went in search of what circular headlights I would use on this, and came to the conclusion of using the same DOT approved Hella modules used on the moss motors dual round headlights on the miatas.

the 90mm hellas were what I found.

basically id stick with these 2 one low and one high, or we could run two hi/lo bi-halogen and if someone wants bi-zenon, they can wire them up as well

HELLA 008191057 90mm 12V High Beam Halogen Headlamp Module : Amazon.com : Automotive

and

Amazon.com: HELLA 008193027 90mm DE Series 12V Low Beam Halogen Headlamp Module: Automotive

again, I AM NOT BUILDING ANYTHING BUT THE ABFLUG STYLE
RedSiBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #95
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

followup. I have considered doing a machined simple lightweight manual aluminum pop up headlight mechanism that you would have to put up yourself for racing. I probably wont do that
Old 09-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #96
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Oh snap that reverse opening hood is dope!!! Those projectors look like they're from an F50 Q45

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #97
bejota180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

i was thinking of one low one high, but would having two bi-xenon or bi-halogen (as in two lows to high beams) be acceptable? or is it just overkill. And i don't care for just one bi-xenon in the middle, same as when they retrofit projectors into the popups, they just look goofy... reminds me of a frog. And knowing in PR they call cars with pop-ups "sapito" or "frog" in english it just makes it even worse...

IXFXI care to share opinions on this? and answering a dumb question... is there really a big difference in the h7 and h1 and the classic vs performance? Or should Xenon lighting in these 90mm be a better option and forget about the halogens. based on this hella info http://www.hella.com/MicroSite/soe/s...ormance_EN.pdf
Old 09-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #98
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you guys keep messing with OLD stuff

NEW STUFF:
Hella Bi-LED 90mm Headlamp Module, Hi-Low Beam - RallyLights.com
New 90mm LED Projector Headlights - Other - J.W. Speaker Corporation
Hamsar introduces 90mm LED low beam projector headlamp: Fleet Equipment
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #99
Matej
Post Whore!

Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Do you think LED projectors will eventually replace HID projectors?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #100
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
clock only moves forward

dont get me wrong, i still use and advocate using older tech as well. everything has its place in the world, pros and cons, etc

just saying, if you guys are going to do something... do it to 2014 standards, not my 2001 standards
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #101
Brian
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (54)
Brian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfectionBrian is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 54 reviews
clearcorners.com

The pinnacle of lighting.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #102
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

I personally am going to use halogens, I like the simplicity and affordability of the unit. if im feeling frisky after spending thousands on the rest of my car, ill goto the LED setup. PLUS, they are DOT approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Do you think LED projectors will eventually replace HID projectors?
Already are moving that direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
clock only moves forward

dont get me wrong, i still use and advocate using older tech as well. everything has its place in the world, pros and cons, etc

just saying, if you guys are going to do something... do it to 2014 standards, not my 2001 standards
I like the old stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
clearcorners.com

The pinnacle of lighting.
ha
Old 09-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #103
Matej
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSiBaron View Post
Already are moving that direction
Good, because HID's are annoying, with all the extra wires and junk.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #104
CaptainVlad
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
CaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would be interested in a set if this was ever made. I am a much bigger fan of the square style, rather than the 2 circles, though.
CaptainVlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #105
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVlad View Post
I would be interested in a set if this was ever made. I am a much bigger fan of the square style, rather than the 2 circles, though.
i may also do a square design, because im not sure which i like more myself. also the square may be cheaper.

in either case i plan to do a single bucket, so it will work with both. worst case scenario is i dont trim out the holes for one on yours and you just pay for the lens buckets and mounting hardware and you just have to cut and mount your own squares...

We arent there yet so we'll cross that bridge when we do.

guys im just waiting to get my car back from getting the cage put in, then i can 3d scan the front end and get the information i need to start modeling these.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #106
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
^if you do happen to 3d scan your car, would you share the file? Would save my cad guy some time and immediately hop on to some parts design.
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #107
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOnesxWai View Post
^if you do happen to 3d scan your car, would you share the file? Would save my cad guy some time and immediately hop on to some parts design.
3d scanning takes a lot of time, what exactly do you need scanned. I was planning on freely sharing the files as they are produced as every company out there developing parts for the s13 cant afford scanning time, and figured it would help the parts development for everyone.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #108
CaptainVlad
Zilvia Junkie

CaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really niceCaptainVlad is just really nice
Any update?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #109
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Any update?
Nope.

car is still getting the cage and chassis work done. well technically its done, I just need to clear room for my fathers new racecar in his garage (which is currently living in his trailer), which means moving his other racecar shell from his garage to his messy barn.

soooo hopefully this weekend after I help him clean out his barn, I can then borrow his trailer to go pick up MY CAR, and take it back to my place and use the 3d scanner from work to get working on it.

Long story short, I'm waiting on my fathers trailer to be empty to move my car from the shop back to my house so I can 3d scan it and build the new headlights in the computer.

so don't worry, I havn't forgotten about this, just want to do it as right as possible the first time to ensure the best fit and finish for everyone. The fewer number of prototypes the lower the initial cost.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #110
CaptainVlad
Zilvia Junkie

This ever going to happen?

A guy over on NissanRoadRacing had a friend who came very close to finishing these. From what I recall him telling me, all he needed was the lens covers themselves. If you are serious about actually making these, I can give you his name so you can PM him. (the friend of the guy, idk who the actual guy making them is)
Old 12-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #111
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post

^ this is the reason people are stupid, they like things that look "bitchin" but work like total shit. There is a reason cars dont have tiny headlights like that, because they dont exist. Those are fog/driving lights, not headlights.

Nothing like telling your friends that your racecar is so fast, it out-runs the headlights at 30mph.

You dont need to trust my word, just think about it... the 1st-gen NSX lights were designed in the early 90s for a 90s-era car. They are expensive, fairly bulky, and simply wont fit into our cars without some heavy modification. I wont say impossible, I just wont say it would be proper when done.

You hear people say how good S2000 optics are. Whatever. I never found them to be anything special or holy. Just another HID projector.

Nowadays, there are a LOT of newer optics worth looking into. Many companies are now making LED versions of the 90mm low and high beam modules, it may be worth looking into.

I'm just one guy who happens to fab things up, I'm not the end-all fabricator. I think a lot of you guys can build something of quality as long as you dont cut corners. In the end, you'll probably find out how time consuming and expensive it is in the long run... but thats usually how things work out.

Do your research, you'll find newer/better/more modern components that will make your life a lot easier as opposed to trying to use old parts from an older sportscar. Besides..... the NSX is slow.
Well, my s13 outruns the crooked sealed beams at 30. So, it might be an even trade.

Nevertheless, I don't get why people think that shit looks good. Supermade lights look somewhat worse than driving around with a pair of steaming cow turds sitting on your bumper.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #112
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
This ever going to happen?

A guy over on NissanRoadRacing had a friend who came very close to finishing these. From what I recall him telling me, all he needed was the lens covers themselves. If you are serious about actually making these, I can give you his name so you can PM him. (the friend of the guy, idk who the actual guy making them is)
Ya it is actually going to happen, it takes time to do shit. especially when you dont have the car to work off. I still dont have my car back from getting the cage put in, and thats over an hour and a half away. so when i get it back i have to trailer it all the way to my work on the weekend and then i have to scan the car. then i can get started on it. doing my best to speed up the process but i cannot control the actions of others.

you can pm him if you want. I dont know what he will have that will be useful to me but im open to it if it is.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #113
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
If your good at working lexan to mold my hat off to you. I got so pissed after many failed attempts I just did this

mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #114
sleepyS14se
Zilvia Addict

sleepyS14se is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Looks like the bastard child of a 300zx
ding ding ding WE GOT A WINNER!!!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #115
CaptainVlad
Zilvia Junkie

Any news on this?
Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #116
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

nope, nothing new...its still going to happen, i just haven't gotten to this point in my build yet, so i have other priorities. I am sorry about the delay but its going to be a second. i'll get to it eventually
Old 02-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #117
Mikey McFly
Zilvia Junkie

Mikey McFly is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a pair of Abflug (round, not Veilside squared) headlights. First off, I got mine for $800, so if someone makes a knock off for more, you might as well team up with ClearCorners in the selling hella over priced lighting business. Two, for some insight, the Abflug lights were a bucket that drops in without modification to the radiator support. Attatched to the bucket was a bracket that held the lights with springs on all eight screws so you can properly align your lights. They also had a foam strip around the edge between the plastic and the bucket.

I've actually been drafting up a pair of these when I've been having spare time. Coming close, just need the motivation to start making the mold and laying the glass down.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #118
RedSiBaron
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey McFly View Post
I had a pair of Abflug (round, not Veilside squared) headlights. First off, I got mine for $800, so if someone makes a knock off for more, you might as well team up with ClearCorners in the selling hella over priced lighting business. Two, for some insight, the Abflug lights were a bucket that drops in without modification to the radiator support. Attatched to the bucket was a bracket that held the lights with springs on all eight screws so you can properly align your lights. They also had a foam strip around the edge between the plastic and the bucket.

I've actually been drafting up a pair of these when I've been having spare time. Coming close, just need the motivation to start making the mold and laying the glass down.
I'm not planning on making something that is too expensive. if it turns out the cost will be too much, I'll do a single run group buy for those looking to get a set and that will just be whatever it costs for the tooling and materials.

Honestly, no matter what the price, i'll probably just do a group buy or two because i have stuff to do, not sell headlights at a small profit.

Ya, there should be zero reason to modify the radiator support, and I wasn't planning on that being part of the design. I want something bolt in.

Also, I will be doing something a little more weather proof than foam for between the bucket and the lens. just not sure what that will be yet.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #119
CaptainVlad
Zilvia Junkie

I was really hoping this would happen... hopefully it still does.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:54 PM   #120
TurboDaytona
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
TurboDaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
End on year bump. I would love a pair of these housings. Is there any help you would need that someone in this thread can contribute?
TurboDaytona is offline   Reply With Quote