Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-02-2016, 07:20 AM   #421
Busta

Trader Rating: (0)
Busta is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking

Props Lucky if your documenting all the info for future p12 swappers; never enough info on forums and you have to search here and there to gather it all. Now I like to see how you made it more affordable in the end selling stuff but I didnt quite count in that manner cause till you get the stuff sold youre at lost. Good stuff goin on here for shure cant wait to jump on mine
Busta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2016, 07:34 AM   #422
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
So it's not necessary to update the valvetrain like you are doing with the P12 head? If it can already rev higher than p11 why upgrade the internals? You're already at a way higher potential than the det head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #423
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
LuckyX2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Even if you sell nothing, they're about the same cost anyway, because of needing to buy the relocation and CAS/Hall sensor.

My P12 cams sold in a little over a week for $300 and I haven't listed the trans yet but I do know that Sentra guys want them, so it should sell. Biggest problem selling a trans is the shipping though.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:49 AM   #424
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
So it's not necessary to update the valvetrain like you are doing with the P12 head? If it can already rev higher than p11 why upgrade the internals? You're already at a way higher potential than the det head.
This is a silly statement. Was it necessary for me to port the head either? No, but it's better. Was it necessary for me to put an EFR on it? No, I could have spent half the money and gone with a Garrett like most people but the EFR is better.

I'm not in this for necessary, I'm in this for performance. So when I can get better valve springs for a measly $80 and guarantee I'm not going to have valve float, I'm gonna do it.

Personally, I'd feel safe taking a stock P11 to 7.5-8k, a stock P12 to 8-8.5k and either with springs to 9k+. I'll be setting my rev limiter to 9k, so I want that extra safety.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:51 AM   #425
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
The Sr20/Sr22vet thread

I get you. And EFR is definitely the better choice. I guess my only thought is there's debate wether the stiffer springs are better or actually too stiff and might cause abnormal wear. Who knows.

As far as rpm range i'd probably add a thousand to each of those lol. Hell a det is fine at 7,5.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #426
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
I guess my only thought is there's debate wether the stiffer springs are better or actually too stiff and might cause abnormal wear. Who knows.

As far as rpm range i'd probably add a thousand to each of those lol. Hell a det is fine at 7,5.
I didn't go super stiff. I think stock springs are like 65lbs and these are 90lbs? It's not like I'm running the 123lb supertechs or something.

And sorry, but a stock P12 starts to float at 8200rpm according to MotoIQ.
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...stoppable.aspx

I imagine a P11 probably starts to float 250-500rpm earlier with the heavier valves. I wouldn't take either to 9k without aftermarket springs.

Hey Busta, any more progress on your 7163 build? Not much info out there. As far as I know, you're the only one in Canada with one on an SR, Def and I are the only ones in America and then there are two in Australia.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:16 AM   #427
Busta

Something ive been wondering as to what to expect hood to valvecover clearance wise with the p12 one I measured almost 1 inch taller at the fwd.rh side compared to p11. Is the p12 head less tall by any chance? I dont think it is. Thing is with the hood vents I have with the hood i have my det valvecover has about nill clearance on that side
Old 08-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #428
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Yellow4g63
It's all how you look at it really. Which can you get parts easier for? It's hell finding the valve components for the p12 head. Even tho you can swap it out for P11 stuff.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Yellow4g63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:21 AM   #429
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trim it down all cool like so that it fits around the valvecover lol.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #430
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busta View Post
Something ive been wondering as to what to expect hood to valvecover clearance wise with the p12 one I measured almost 1 inch taller at the fwd.rh side compared to p11. Is the p12 head less tall by any chance? I dont think it is. Thing is with the hood vents I have with the hood i have my det valvecover has about nill clearance on that side
If you have clearance issues, you could always remove the washers/shims from the mount and extend the crossmember slots so it sits lower. I did that in mine anyway just for the lower CG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
It's all how you look at it really. Which can you get parts easier for? It's hell finding the valve components for the p12 head. Even tho you can swap it out for P11 stuff.
Well we now know the valve seal and spring info and the gaskets were easy to find before. I think rocker arms are the same between P11 and P12.

Its the valves I'm worried about. If I ever bend a valve, I'm going to have to figure something out because there's no aftermarket valves as far as I'm aware. So either I'd have to machine the guides up to 6mm and use P11/DET valves, get custom 5.5mm valves from Supertech or look into the possibility of using valves from another engine with 5.5mm stem valves like a B series. Slim chance of finding something the same dimensions though.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #431
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

If you lapped the head/valves to seal with the B series valve, and trimmed the stem to the length you need. AND then machined it to lock onto the spring retainer keepers, THEN it should work haha.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #432
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Yellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of lightYellow4g63 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyX2 View Post
If you have clearance issues, you could always remove the washers/shims from the mount and extend the crossmember slots so it sits lower. I did that in mine anyway just for the lower CG.

Well we now know the valve seal and spring info and the gaskets were easy to find before. I think rocker arms are the same between P11 and P12.

Its the valves I'm worried about. If I ever bend a valve, I'm going to have to figure something out because there's no aftermarket valves as far as I'm aware. So either I'd have to machine the guides up to 6mm and use P11/DET valves, get custom 5.5mm valves from Supertech or look into the possibility of using valves from another engine with 5.5mm stem valves like a B series. Slim chance of finding something the same dimensions though.
My understanding is that you use the p11 guides if you use the p11 valves. One of the NZ guys I talked to switches over any 20v he gets to the p11 stuff. He had some bad experiences with the p12 valves.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 08-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #433
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Hmm yeah I assume the outer diameter of the guides is the same between the p11 and p12. So that's a good option.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #434
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

So another P12 difference... The regular DET gasket for the oil pickup is supposed to work, right?

Because the hole on my p12 pickup is actually larger than the gasket hole.

This is the one I have:
Old 08-04-2016, 07:56 PM   #435
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

It shouldn't work since it's smaller. You can get the right gasket for it. The pick up tube is also bigger for the VE's. I'm will to.be it's the same one as the P11 ve.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 08-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #436
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Alright, just my misunderstanding that I could use a late model DET gasket.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #437
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
https://www.mazworx.com/store/p/95-M...il-Pickup.aspx
curious then what gasket mazworx uses? I ordered this part from them and didn't pay much attention, I just used the gasket they provided.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #438
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

To everyone who drops the crossmember or pulls the engine to install VE oil pumps, you can save yourself a few hours by just grinding yourself some extra clearance...

Managed to swap covers/pumps without removing the upper oil pan.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #439
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
https://www.mazworx.com/store/p/95-M...il-Pickup.aspx
curious then what gasket mazworx uses? I ordered this part from them and didn't pay much attention, I just used the gasket they provided.
The part number is on the page you linked if you select the add gasket option, 15053-31U00
Old 08-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #440
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Getting closer but I have another question I searched for and couldn't find an answer.

Does the P12 CAS hook right up to the DET harness or is the wiring pinout different?

EDIT: Found the answer here:
https://www.taarks.com/Articles.asp?ID=251

I can just use the DET plug.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #441
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Well, I found out the hard way that VE pulleys don't work on the DET. Timing lines up fine but the spacing is off for the belts. DEs can use VE pulleys but not DETs. Alternatively, I could convert to the VE/DE water pump pulley and alternator but I'm not going to do that.

How much do I need to machine off the back of the DET pulley? Taarks says 5mm but I think I've also seen 3mm? What's correct? I should have measured the thickness of the Mazworx spacer before I put it in.
EDIT: I asked Mazworx and they said 5mm.

Last edited by LuckyX2; 08-15-2016 at 09:10 PM..
LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:30 PM   #442
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Well, my dyno was today. Went well, until I started getting what I think was spark blowout around 20psi.

Still, I managed to pull out 404whp and 338ftlbs at only 20psi and 6500rpm. I think that's a pretty good sign that 550-600whp is in there somewhere with 25-30psi and 9k rpm.

Anyway, here's the printout I have that's closest to the 404whp run. I wound up not printing that one amongst scrambling to figure out why spark was cutting out.

The fluctuation is the closed loop boost controller. Never got around to fixing that.

Here's one of my earlier pulls where I was testing just the low lobe so I had the switch point set high at 5k.

Look at that jump in torque when it switches. wow.

Finally, here's a log of the backfires.

You can see AFR is good (12.2) leading into the two lean spikes that were accompanied by backfires so I don't think it was fueling. My guess is spark blowout, I'm gonna check my plugs. Thoughts?

Last edited by LuckyX2; 08-27-2016 at 09:40 PM..
LuckyX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:48 PM   #443
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
What is your gap set at? I know I started getting spark blow out around the 400mark. I tightened it up to .28 or so from the factory gap and let her eat. Didn't have another issue for the duration. Now if I hit 25-30psi in the car, I may need to tighten it up more but that's down the line a bit.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #444
LuckyX2
Zilvia Addict

Yeahhhh, my critical mistake was not adding gap checking to the pre-dyno checklist, I don't know... I guess I put too much faith in my LS2 coils to spark whatever gap is there.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:04 PM   #445
splitfire
Leaky Injector

splitfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello.

Today I tried to mount the engine but failed:

Silvia RHD S14 shell, S14 SR20DET bottom end, 20VE head, VET rocker cover, Nismo mounts.

There is no room for rocker cover and CAS, due to firewall lip.
Can somebody give me advice? Is it possible to remove this lip? And if it's possible, how should I prevent rusting in this place?
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:41 PM   #446
Busta

That breather fitting should be removed then plugged to have one welded on top of the cover instead. For the cas cover look at PRL motorsports they make a nice cnc cover to help increase clearance at the lip its like 69$. I know p12 cas should clear but there are variables. Probably there is a bigger tranny swap in place? I know on mine with 350z tranny it tilts the engine a bit cause the rear end of the tranny cant go up quite as high as the stock tranny
Old 08-31-2016, 11:15 PM   #447
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Stock manual transmission.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:37 PM   #448
Yellow4g63
Zilvia FREAK!

Someone posted earlier that the nismo mounts move the motor back a little more than stock.

95 240sx RB20 415whp
91 Nx2000 VVL yo
Old 09-01-2016, 06:16 AM   #449
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busta View Post
That breather fitting should be removed then plugged to have one welded on top of the cover instead. For the cas cover look at PRL motorsports they make a nice cnc cover to help increase clearance at the lip its like 69$. I know p12 cas should clear but there are variables. Probably there is a bigger tranny swap in place? I know on mine with 350z tranny it tilts the engine a bit cause the rear end of the tranny cant go up quite as high as the stock tranny
Orrrrrr for $40 he could get the Mazworx CNC cover
Old 09-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #450
splitfire
Leaky Injector

Ahh, CAS cover isn't a problem. Clearance is.