Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #151
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
The earlier VQ's didn't like much over 400whp before they popped, which is 5-7psi roughly. From what I hear the new engines(HR and the 3.7) are much more robust.

Piston slap can be caused by a few things. Generally JE pistons have been known for this, only until the motor is warmed up because the piston has to heat up and expand. Too large or piston bore to piston clearances can cause it, along with high silicon content in the piston will give you piston slap. Generally speaking, high silicon content pistons shrink and expand more than others.

The platform is plenty capable for road course action, but there's more weight to throw around so it's not going to feel like a "big go kart". Right out of the box the 370's have cooling issues that put them into limp mode when driven hard. MotoIq did a test on one and it limped off track after a fee hot laps.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #152
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WristWork View Post
350z>370z

Agreed! Visually speaking the Z33 looks way better than the polarizing Z34, IMO. And wasn't that last version of the Nismo 350Z stitch welded from the factory or by Autech or something?
Old 07-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #153
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenrapids View Post
Just because im 22 has nothing to do with me comparing 2 different cars of which i've owned.
son... when you're older, you'll understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbic View Post
Tell you want, if you want a "WTF" experience, hop in a Vintage 911.
Magnus Walker, I am not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Added one for you.
- Sunroof
Unfortunately, this is not the case. My SC has a moonroof and my Miata is...a piece of shit convertible. I have a very bad habit of buying cars and giving "other manufacturers a chance" and well... lets just say I was very disappointed with Mazda. And while I like Toyota's build quality, I still have gripes with the (few) parts that are prone to failure being very expensive to replace. Fortunately, its never mechanical stuff - its bullshit interior-related panels, exterior trim parts, etc

I really cannot say this about NISSAN. Everything from the car to the parts are all reasonably priced and acceptable build quality. NOT the case with Mazda, the car AND its parts are very sub-standard.

Just my 2c...

Quote:
Safety Bro.

^ Is that a S13 w/ 350Z wheels? Hmm.. wait, our cars didnt come with aluminum bumper supports. Hmm..

I've seen S13s MUCH worse than the above. That car is just missing the door. Re-install the door, a bit of body filler, polish.. and its good to go. Jokes aside, you know its bad when you see the frame rail pushed all the way to where the transmission tunnel is...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WristWork View Post
350z>370z
I dont think so. I think the 370Z is a very good improvement. Shorter, wider, better engine, serious(ly heavy) brakes... No gripes here. I still like the 350, but 370 is also nice.
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #154
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
ah yeah, my old z

went from s13 to z33 to a few other cars and now back to an s13. z's are cool if you've never had a newer car and need a nice daily driver. they suck for everything else. driving is boring. drifting is even more boring. it's a fat sloppy pig. tried everything to get rid of the slop, but it just felt like shit. the z community sucks. 90% of owners have their heads buried up their ass. everything is about "how big of a wheel can i fit" "what's the lowest offset possible" "camber is tight yo!" bunch of hardparkers. it's just a really fucking boring car to own. aero options are boring. vq is boring. sounds good, but it's boring. handling is meh... boring. if you want to be bored while you're bored then bore your way to the z33 and enjoy all the boring possibilities.

s-chassis has so much cooler shit. and the s-chassis community is sooooo much better. no little babies whining about not having enough camber. there are some shit heads, but at least it's because they're idiots, not because they think they're better than you.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #155
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
boring boring boring boring boring boring
that was how i felt. while the car felt good and capable, it just didnt have too much character. it has all the ingredients though.

the freeway is especially funny because its just... boring. you mash on the gas and it gets up to speed easily, but it has no entertainment value at all.

two things i really disliked:
- over sensative steering ratio
- drive by wire throttle

the delay in the throttle was annoying.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:53 PM   #156
silviasandbeer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
silviasandbeer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
thread delivers

was considering "upgrading" to a 350z from my s14

not so much now, dont want to be bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm not kingtalon crazy, but I have standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
What age is appropriate to give your kids the sex talk? Is 3 too soon?
silviasandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #157
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Get an RX-8. Those cars actually look really cool, and go for cheaper than 350Z's (probably because the triangles are about to fall out of the motor).
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #158
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Get an RX-8. Those cars actually look really cool, and go for cheaper than 350Z's (probably because the triangles are about to fall out of the motor).
If you own an S-chasis, you already know the answer to a shitty motor.

Shit I've seen local RX-8s go for $5k and Rollers (blown engine) for $1,500. If I was younger I'd be all over this shit.

'

Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #159
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Rotaries are cool...if you have money. When you're broke a rotary is like some kind of magical machine that you pray will continue to run properly every time you drive it.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #160
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
RX8 is a girl car. FD3S or bust.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #161
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
RX8 is a girl car. FD3S or bust.
Real men drive FCs.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #162
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Real men drive FCs.
...or if you're part of the red suns
Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #163
Matej
Post Whore!

Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Quote:
Real men drive FCs.
Real teenage boys drive FB's.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #164
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Real teenage boys drive FB's.

I thought he was 30 something working at a Pizza Hut and living with his parents....
Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #165
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
^^That thing is fucking hideous.

I am in love with the FD3S. Not so much with the rotary. I mean I love the sound and brap of a bridge port or half bridge port. I just don't like the idea of knowing from day 1 that a rebuild will be required before 150K miles
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #166
Corbic
Post Whore!

S13/S14 to 350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
^^That thing is fucking hideous.

I am in love with the FD3S. Not so much with the rotary. I mean I love the sound and brap of a bridge port or half bridge port. I just don't like the idea of knowing from day 1 that a rebuild will be required before 150K miles

Try every 50k.

If 150k bothers you, you should not own any performance car, let alone a turbo one.

The biggest issue with Rotarys is fuel consumption. 10-15mpg for 4-cylinder performance is deplorable.

Last edited by Corbic; 07-23-2014 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: fic
Old 07-23-2014, 11:19 AM   #167
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
The biggest issue with Rotarys is fuel consumption. 10-15mpg for 4-cylinder performance is deplorable.
Rotary...4-cylinder...
Old 07-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #168
Corbic
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
Rotary...4-cylinder...

Tapatalk says it's spelled right.. NFG

;p
Old 07-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #169
Matej
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
Once the stock motor goes, anything is game. Most people from this forum would probably just end up sticking an SR/RB/LS1/2JZ in it.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #170
acslater9
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
acslater9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
...or if you're part of the red suns
LOOL. God damn that's golden. Thank you for the laugh.
acslater9 is offline   Reply With Quote