Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #121
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
My wife and I are heavily considering moving to Canada after we get back from Japan. If we can be friends then I'll totally do it.

I like your style.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #122
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
My wife and I are heavily considering moving to Canada after we get back from Japan. If we can be friends then I'll totally do it.

I like your style.
Thanks! Friendship depends on if you can bring some old school trinkets back with you haha

One last quick drive around the block before winter hibernation

Over the winter I hope to acquire some new brakes, possibly seats and sort out some sort of rear spoiler to complement the rest of the aero.

Cheers
Old 11-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #123
jankyzenki

Trader Rating: (1)
jankyzenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey Dolph_KyaS13, not trying to copy your exact paint job but how did you go about painting your valve covers?
Old 11-23-2015, 12:36 PM   #124
Gingersmurf
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Gingersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post

I like your style.
Where in Canada are you thinking of moving to?
Gingersmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #125
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by jankyzenki View Post
Hey Dolph_KyaS13, not trying to copy your exact paint job but how did you go about painting your valve covers?
No worries.

I originally posted a how too in the valvecover thread but I keep getting PM's about this so here are my secrets revealed

First I made an illustrator file for the shapes of the livery. It was damn near impossible to find a good pattern in high resolution but after searching forever I found someone had created and traced it in Illustrator.

I had the Shapes cut out in low tac vinyl at a local signage shop.

To prep the covers themselves, I sanded them down to remove the factory casting marks so the vinyl stencils would adhere and paint would not bleed.

I used zinc chromite primer (read the label follow the instructions) and primed the sanded valve covers.

First colour to go on was the red, I then used pin stripe tape to mask the red lines. The paint used was just Kylon spray paint I bought at Canadian Tire but im pretty sure its available at walmart in the states.

Once the red was all masked, I painted the covers purple. After leaving it to try overnight (there is a lot of waiting) I used the stencils to mask the purple part of the livery.

It was just a matter of repeating the steps with the green, applying the stencils and then painting the whole thing black.

Once dry, carefully peel off the stencils. This is the best part as all the waiting pays off. After all the stencils were removed, I sprayed a thick coat of clear over the everything.

Like everything else painted, its all in the prep-work. I used regular primer at first and it did not adhere to the aluminum. Take your time and make sure everything is 100% dry between coats and stencil application and it should work out just fine.

-Jordie
Old 11-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #126
jankyzenki

jankyzenki is an unknown quantity at this point
Jordie..you sir are the MAN! Exactly what i needed to see for this design
Old 11-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #127
Gingersmurf
Zilvia Junkie

Gingersmurf is an unknown quantity at this point
^ Not sure how well that will work with the feathering... Be sure to do a post on it! interested to see the results
Gingersmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:29 PM   #128
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I believe that would be difficult because of all the small portions that will have to be masked off. But best of luck, hope it works out.
Old 11-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #129
Bullitt_180sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
Bullitt_180sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Is that the damn Dixie cup design?
Bullitt_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #130
Jibbberish
Leaky Injector

Jibbberish is an unknown quantity at this point
Just read this whole thread and shit yeah, diggin it.
Jibbberish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #131
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbberish View Post
Just read this whole thread and shit yeah, diggin it.
Thanks!. Winter is here and I am really missing working on this thing. Ive ordered a few little things to install when the time comes. nothing big, just a Hicas steering wheel hub so my horn can work as well as some misc. gaskets and such.

finally had my decals cut for the car. now we just have to wait until spring to put the final touches on everything

Happy New Year Everyone
Old 12-30-2015, 03:54 PM   #132
Clutch Dog
Zilvia Junkie

Clutch Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Clutch Dog
I already cant wait. this is way cool. tell me how those decals hold up to the engine temps
Old 12-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #133
harrypotter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
harrypotter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
This build is amazing! I bought my first GTS-T in 2001 and have some Tommy Kaira stuff I got from a car show in Okinawa. Message me your address and I will send it to you. I found it is a box last month cleaning out my stuff. I don't want anything for it...just for it to go to a good home.

I couldn't get the thumbnail to work but here is the direct link.

http://s3.postimg.org/8zcpvz2qb/photo.jpg
Old 12-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #134
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Love the build. Awesome work.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:41 PM   #135
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Not too much going on here due to our incredibly pathetic canadian dollar. I still have my Hicas Steering hub adapter on its way from RHDjapan. I've never ordered through them but it seems to be taking a bit to get here.

I had priced out R33 GTR rotors and GKTech calliper adapters just before christmas but didnt pull the trigger on them due to the exchange rate.

By some magical stroke of luck I found a set locally which had never been fitted or used. I snapped them up for a fraction of what it would have cost me to order everything myself.

The rotors are 324mm or 12.75" in diameter and should fill the Tommykaira wheels up nicely.

Speaking of Tommykaira, Zilvia user "harrypotter" sent me a care package which he had picked up at an auto show back in 2001.

Super stoked on this. The car community needs more people like this.

Ill keep updating once parts roll in

thanks for reading.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #136
harrypotter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
harrypotter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph_KYAS13 View Post
Speaking of Tommykaira, Zilvia user "harrypotter" sent me a care package which he had picked up at an auto show back in 2001.

Super stoked on this. The car community needs more people like this.

No problem! It is just good to see those things go to someone that will put them to use. I can't believe they have been sitting for so long and now have a good home. Hope the stickers actually work being as old as they are!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #137
Quail
Zilvia FREAK!

Quail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfection
Send a message via MSN to Quail
< Another guy looking to emigrate to Canada (Vancouver) in the next few years.

Lucky pick-up on the brakes, and props to Harrypotter.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:26 PM   #138
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I still need to see this thing in person... Hopefully in the spring time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quail View Post

Lucky pick-up on the brakes, and props to Harrypotter.
Canadaland welcomes you...

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:15 PM   #139
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
the west coast is awesome from what I hear. Just super expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
I still need to see this thing in person... Hopefully in the spring time
Yes! hopefully I am just trying to get the final pieces of the puzzle together.

continuing the brake upgrades, managed to snag some braided brake lines for cheap to replace the 22yr old factory rubber lines.

Another exciting shot of parts on my office floor i know....

But this past weekend we actually got some decent temps (+6 deg C) so I thought it would be a good chance to pull the cover off and make sure nothing was living in the car.

No rodents, but shes filthy.

Excuse the dust & dirt

This was a good opportunity to pull some old vintage trinkets off the car to get them refinished before spring hits.

I really would like to find a TommyKaira wheel to go along with the rest of the build. If not I will get the nismo one refinished.

The strut bar is heading off for blasting and powdercoat. I've found a company who will remake the Nismo stickers to really bring the strut bar back to 100%

Oh yea and get this fixed...hopefully its repairable but I have my doubts I'd love to run the 18s all round this summer so fingers crossed.

Hopefully the next post will be more exciting. man these winters are long...

-Jordie
Old 02-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #140
nield13
Leaky Injector

nield13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Not too much going on here due to our incredibly pathetic canadian dollar. I still have my Hicas Steering hub adapter on its way from RHDjapan. I've never ordered through them but it seems to be taking a bit to get here.

I had priced out R33 GTR rotors and GKTech calliper adapters just before christmas but didnt pull the trigger on them due to the exchange rate.

By some magical stroke of luck I found a set locally which had never been fitted or used. I snapped them up for a fraction of what it would have cost me to order everything myself.

The rotors are 324mm or 12.75" in diameter and should fill the Tommykaira wheels up nicely.

thanks for reading.
nield13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #141
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Although winter is hanging around, I graciously got a call from Martino who said he was willing to trailer my car to his shop.

So friday night we did the switcharoo and I drove the S15 to my place and we trailererd my car back to the unit.

It was fun to drive a quick car again as ive been driving hondas for the past few years.

got the car to the shop and got to work pulling the pan and resealing the oil pickup. Not the most fun job out there.

Then got to installing the GKtech calliper spacer kit and the R33 GTR rotors.

They really do fill up the wheels nicely

Before:

After:

I replaced the rear pads and rotors as well with cross drilled and slotted Z32 disks. Just a couple more things to get ready before insurance goes back on May 1st
Old 04-13-2016, 04:07 AM   #142
Quail
Zilvia FREAK!

Quail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfectionQuail is close to perfection
Send a message via MSN to Quail
The larger disks look much better!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:29 AM   #143
613240sx
Leaky Injector

613240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Was nice to get up to date on the thread since driftwerks. Cheers Jordie! Well written, car looks amazing ofcourse
613240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #144
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
The larger disks look much better!
I think so too.

Took advantage of the B E A Utiful weather this past weekend and got lots of odds and ends done on the Skyline.

I installed my oil pressure gauge and confirmed that the RB20 does in fact have oil pressure and a faulty oil pressure sender was the culprit to the percieved low oil pressure. We also finished installing the braided lines and bled the brakes.

I think i'm going to stick with the old wangan wing for the time being. Turns out it works well with the rest of the aero

Engine bay needs a good clean. Its pretty dusty after a winter of sitting under a car cover.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:14 PM   #145
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Surprised you didn't get those tommy kaira seats on yahoo japan for 100 bucks a piece lol. I almost bought them for the hell of it.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:14 PM   #146
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
Surprised you didn't get those tommy kaira seats on yahoo japan for 100 bucks a piece lol. I almost bought them for the hell of it.
I checked too late and couldnt get a quote from streeter fast enough
Old 05-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #147
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Quote:

Oh yea and get this fixed...hopefully its repairable but I have my doubts I'd love to run the 18s all round this summer so fingers crossed.

Absolutely blown away that Precision Rim Repair was able to get this straightened out

Whilst I was waiting for my 1 one wheel to get finished I had a pair of 255 35 18s ZESTINO Gredge 07RR tires to see if I could run them all round.

The adjustable upper arms I had were of course seized and put up a fight. after spending the better part of an afternoon freeing them up and adding camber the 255s were still little tight for stock GTS fenders.

Tuning is always better when pals come by.

I ended up going with a 225 40 18 up front which easily cleared the fenders.

It snowed here today so next weekend Ill play with the coilovers and lower it back down a bit and get the alignment set.

Almost there now

-Jordie
Old 05-15-2016, 09:10 PM   #148
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Hey cool guy, glad to hear that you're close to rolling in this thing!

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:09 AM   #149
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
That S15 is so right.
Car is coming along dope.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #150
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Looking at this build would make me NOT want a gtr body. Everything flows so well.