Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #61
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Merry Christmas everybody.

tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2017, 06:38 AM   #62
drifter92
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
drifter92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
awesome build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #63
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Fuck winter. Its 0 degrees outside. And i'm lucky if I can get the garage to be 40. So instead, i'll just update this from the last month or so.

Ordered a baffled catch can from racecatchcan.com, had it made with 2 -8AN fittings. Very nice piece. Immediately gave it to my buddy to powdercoat black (slacker still hasn't given it back yet...)

Anyways, one day while I was driving home I had an idea. Talked to my machinist at work about it and he made it happen. (the nice part about working at a foundry is having tons of scrap laying around, and when your boss likes you stuff like this happens)

I wanted plugs for my firewall for the harness hole & 2 AC holes. I didn't have enough time to shave them before the respray of my bay, so this would have to do. I took measurements, got them made, and brought them back to work and painted them. Sure they're a step below as clean as a smooth shaven firewall, but whatever. Looks better than previously.

While doing so I obviously had to close off and seal the holes in the condensor box (which is gutted anyways. Wish I could remove this without making the blower motor useless because I still have heat. Thanks Nissan...) So I did some trimming with the dremel, and took a piece of plastic and JB welded it in place.

While I had the engine and trans out, I spent some time scrubbing the trans tunnel and bottom of the firewall, undercoating everything, and then applying some of this heat barrier from thermo-tec. Its real thin and lightweight. I got 2 24x48" sheets, and didn't need all of it. Claims it withstands 400* direct heat, and 2000* ambient. Anybody whos ever owned one of these shitboxes knows what its like on those super hot days. Along with the adhesive backing on this, I riveted it to the floor as well. For those of you who like data, I bought a infrared laser thermometer. On an 84* day, after about 20 minutes of driving home from work my floor was 104* by my feet, and my shift boot was 134*. This is with full interior and OEM sound deadening.

Somewhere in the mix, my block went to Travis' house and got torn down. We were pretty surprised at how everything looked for how bad it smoked and how bad my leakdown results were. So the block and head went to the machine shop. I got a call this morning saying that my cylinders were .002" out of round at the bottom/top and .006" out of round in the middle. So it needs .030" over to be safe. Will likely be getting .040" Wiseco pistons. Oh, and my exhaust valve guides are junk, so new ones will be getting pressed in. While i'm in there BC dual springs and retainers will be installed as well. Ouch.

After wiping off the pistons:

I also acquired some well sought after goodies.

Last edited by tuzzio; 12-29-2017 at 07:00 PM..
Old 01-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #64
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Been out in the garage a bit on the days when I can get the garage to be atleast 40 degrees. Put my dash and 90% of my interior back in, wired in the silvia quarter louvers, wired in the proper connectors for the 50/50 markers. Pulled my crossmember out and painted it gloss black, and put in a re-manned rack from rock auto. Thursday I got all my stuff back from the machine shop. Ordered bearings and my buddy at Subimods accidentally pulled the trigger on the headgasket I think I'll need. If it measures up..i'll be ahead of the game. Definitely on track to have this shitbox ready for spring. I'll order up an ATI super damper soon.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #65
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Looking great! love the color/progress. I just ordered DEI trans tunnel as well to lower the temps from the LS. Do you recommend anything for the install as far as the surface it mates to?
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #66
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
Do you recommend anything for the install as far as the surface it mates to?
The stuff is pretty sticky but there is no way that I was doing it without rivets. Maybe you could get away with extra spray adhesive, but I wasn't risking it.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #67
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
That silvia louver is a really nice touch. This is the first time Ive seen it lit in pictures
Old 01-26-2018, 03:11 AM   #68
FKNGRSY
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
FKNGRSY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I thought this car looked familiar. Were you on bikeguide back in the day "Tuzzio" ? Car looking so good!
FKNGRSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:02 AM   #69
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNGRSY View Post
I thought this car looked familiar. Were you on bikeguide back in the day "Tuzzio" ? Car looking so good!
yessir. Username on BG is chubbs.

ifingermybumintheshower.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #70
tuzzio
Post Whore!

A bunch of shit happened and not a lot of pictures were taken. Dropped the KA back in the shitbox yesterday.

Current specs:
Wiseco Pistons .060 over. (was supposed to be .040 but the wrong pistons got sent to me and yolo)
Eagle rods
King Main / Rod Bearings
Balanced crank
ARP Main/Head Studs
ARP Rod bolts
Cometic Gasket
BC264 Cams
BC springs and Retainers
ATI Super Damper.

Manifold and hot side were ceramic coated

Will be buttoning it up this week and hopefully running by next weekend. Were expecting 5-10" of snow here this week so i'm in no rush anyways.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #71
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
I have been debating on the ceramic coating on my headers as the wrap is just so bulky for my tight clearance. Is there different stages of heat containment ? Also if you dont mind roughly how much did you pay? Very interested, looking good man.
afishysilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #72
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishysilvia View Post
Is there different stages of heat containment ? Also if you dont mind roughly how much did you pay? Very interested, looking good man.
Some places (mostly companies who produce such parts) offer a few different coatings but from what i've seen the average stuff seems to be good for 2,000 degrees.

Also, I used a company that my part time job goes through and it was $220 for both pieces. Which seems about average as I did quote it elsewhere.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #73
tuzzio
Post Whore!

So, after a week or so of slowly re-assembling everything. The first start was successful a few weeks ago. Had a few hiccups along the way, but managed to push through it all. The first time I was bleeding the coolant, after I shut the car off...my battery was dead. Alternator wasn't charging it. Long story short, a plug under the dash where my harnesss connects to my fuse box got unplugged (likely when I re-installed the dash). So that was an easy fix. A few days later, I noticed a massive puddle of coolant under the car. For whatever reason, one of my coolant lines for my turbo was leaking. I switched out the fitting with no avail, so I just replaced all the lines and fittings last weekend.

After doing some more coolant bleeding (lets just say after this I invested in a Lisle funnel kit) I decided I was going to change the oil as it had all the assembly lube in it, and take the car for the shake down drive. Change the oil and filter, start the car..0 oil pressure.

So this is where I'm at now.

I pulled the filter off to confirm if it was the filter or not. No oil is going to the filter.
So I pulled the pan off. Figuring that since the pan was dented, if I un-dented it my results would change. Cleaned and inspected the pick up. Re-assembled everything, and still no oil pressure.

Pulled the pan off AGAIN, and this time with the front cover as well. Disassemble the pump, pick up, and cannot see anything visual. Drive to the dealer and order a new pick up (s13 is discontinued, so I purchased s14) a new oil pump cover, and a gasket for between the cover and the pick up.

While waiting for the parts to come in, I brought my cover and pick up to work and sat with our Level 3 to review the x-ray images. Can't see anything detremental except tons of porosity in the casting and some strange surface cracks.

Travis took the pump drive spacer from the crank for my KA coffee table and made me a tool to bench test the new setup with my drill.

Last night I got the rest of the parts from the dealer, and assembled my existing (rockauto) front timing cover with gears, and new OEM pump cover, gasket and pick up and stuck it in my oil drain pan.

Still did not pump oil.

I had already pulled my old cover out of the scrap pile. OEM cover, OEM Pump gears, Rock auto cover, used gasket/o-ring, and s13 pick up. And it fucking pumped oil. By this point, I could narrow it down to the front timing cover or the pump gears. I swapped out the pump gears after extensively cleaning them, and boom. Got the set up for my car to function properly and pump oil. I will be going to the dealer tomorrow to order brand new pump gears, as well as bringing the rock auto ones to work to x-ray and see if we can find anything.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #74
Jaymacc909

Jaymacc909 is an unknown quantity at this point
The car is beautiful. Keep up the great work.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Jaymacc909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #75
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Ordered pump gears. Put car back together. Pumped oil. Bingo.

A few days later I took the car for its shakedown run. Went about 2 miles down the road, car was getting warm. Sat in the parking lot for a bit then drove home to start bleeding coolant. On my way, the car just shut off. So I coasted into a parking lot about a half mile from my house. After checking fuel pressure, fuses, relays..decided it was time to call Travis up for a tow.

We got home, pushed it into the garage. He pulled the oil cap off and we cranked the car..exhaust cam wasn't spinning. Pulled the valve cover off to find the exhaust cam bolt backed itself off enough for the sprocket to wiggle off. Pulled the head off that night to see 2 bent valves on cylinder #2. Over the next week it went to the machine shop, valves got replaced, lash got set and I had it home. While I was putting everything back on, one of the washer from my ARP headstuds fell in the front timing cover and got lodged under the timing chain and sprocket, which resulted in pulling the pan, and front cover to make the project a bit more fun.

Once the car was back together and a few shake down runs were done I spent some time polishing and sealing my paint which collected dust all winter.

I always found that everytime I had to remove the eyelet and wire from my speedhut coolant temp gauge, the sending unit never worked after that. Friend gave me the connector from a foxbody mustang, which just slips over the threads. Shouldn't have that issue again. Ended up re-wiring and tidying up my cluster wiring with a spare cluster subharness I had since I was unsatisifed with my results over the winter.

At one point I was having issues again with my charging system. Turned out, my alternator had shit the best. Warrantied it and re-installed. Bought a sheet of black textured ABS plastic and a $5 amazon volts gauge and made a small piece to fit in the cluster surround. I'm not sure how long it will stay. Its nice to have a diagnostics tool, but it makes the car feel cluttered to me. I might just invest in one of the positive battery terminals that displays voltage.

Two fridays ago I was driving home from work and noticed my defi gauges shut off. Then my radio..then my wideband started doing weird shit. As I pushed in the clutch to go into a parking lot the car died. Who would've guessed...more charging system issues.

When I got the car home and started to test the alternator, when I reached in the positive wire from my lower harness to my alternator fried itself off the connector. After pulling down my lower harness, when I extended the alternator power and ground I used two metal screw in type connectors and wrapped them in electrical tape. For whatever reason, it worked for 3 years and now the electrical tape moved and caused them to arc on eachother. Luckily it burnt the eyelet connector before it hit the fusebox or caught on fire. I had a different connector from over the winter, staggered my connections and shrink wrapped over them so this problem can't ever occur again.

Its been a summer of headaches for sure. But I have about 1100 miles on the car and couldn't be happier. Still chasing a weird ignition issue over 15PSI though. 4 brand new coil packs didn't fix it either. Whatever. Homeboy from GRAVECO scooped a cool picture of Travis and I chillin which doesn't feature his outlaw, for once.

Last edited by tuzzio; 07-01-2018 at 01:18 PM..
Old 07-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #76
KoukiMonsta
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
KoukiMonsta is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
I can't see pics past page 1.5 [that's halfway through page 2 folks]

is this a me problem or what?
Old 07-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #77
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoukiMonsta View Post
I can't see pics past page 1.5 [that's halfway through page 2 folks]

is this a me problem or what?
Should be a you problem. I have zero issues seeing them all on my laptop and work computer, both use chrome and i've always hosted pictures with imgur.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #78
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Atleast the car is looking good
Old 07-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #79
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
This car is fucking nice !!!! Smooth man very smooth !!!! Thumbs up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #80
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Glad to hear that you're working through all of the headaches. We've all been there... This thing looks dope by the way!

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #81
DJTTon
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
DJTTon is on the path to ruinDJTTon is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Glad to hear that you're working through all of the headaches. We've all been there... This thing looks dope by the way!
Definitely gotta quote that, we have ups and downs but what matters most is that the car stays working and youre still enjoying it in one way or another.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #82
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Hopped on the ganador bandwagon a few weeks ago.
https://i.imgur.com/EnZmFW9.jpg?1

Was having some issues rubbing up front, like, rubbed through the lip of the fender and put a small crack in the outside of the fender. It was time to raise the car, so I raised it about 9MM up front, and 12MM in the rear. While I was in there, I installed my gktech grip knuckles that have been sitting on the shelf since this winter. I got an alignment this morning, and overall the car feels really good, much more responsive. However, With the geometry correction obviously the wheels don't camber in as much during suspension compression, which kind've sucks and now I have to run about 4.5* of camber up front to make the wheels fit. Oh well.

And heres a picture of my dirty bay.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #83
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Congrats on getting this thing back together and sorted man! Looks awesome and I'm sure feels awesome to drive again.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #84
Jaymacc909

Jaymacc909 is an unknown quantity at this point
I cant get over the purple it blows my mind

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Jaymacc909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:07 AM   #85
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Didn't touch the car all winter. Some personal issues going on lately, so fuck my bank account, and I ruined BNIB bronze TE's. Sorry Damon!

Old 03-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #86
Super_OK_S13
Zilvia Junkie

Super_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud of
Damn! i think the bronze would've looked ok but polished/chrome is DEFINITELY more your style!!
Super_OK_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:53 AM   #87
DomChan
Zilvia FREAK!

DomChan is making a name for him/her selfDomChan is making a name for him/her self
Chrome TEs! Good stuff m8
DomChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:10 AM   #88
Green Arrow
BANNED

Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow Green Arrow
Paint color and chrome combination is tits. Love it
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:30 AM   #89
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Not much happened this year. Early in the spring we put a muffler by the diff, as I get older im over the super loud car. I wish it was still a bit quieter, but its much, much better. With the sunroof and windows closed, its almost as quiet as the average stock car. Unfortunately, I have no photos of it.

One of the next comfort mods I did was switch from a solid AVID trans mount to a generic poly trans mount. For $10, well worth the investment. Quieted things down a bit and I couldn't be happier

A few weeks ago on my way to work, I lost my brakes. Pedal was super stiff, and I had assumed that the booster had gone out. Sourced one locally from Jesse from Drift Faction. Brought it to work, blasted it, painted it, and baked it in our FPI dryer, brought it home and installed it. Brakes have been fine ever since. Luckily, going to work early in the morning I didn't have a risk of hitting anything or anyone, but I did have to limp it home using only the e-brake.

Old booster:

New booster:

Last edited by tuzzio; 11-16-2019 at 04:21 PM..
Old 11-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #90
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Aside from that, I've just been driving the car as much as possible before the sand/salt and snow hits the roads here in MA. A few weeks ago Travis and I made the trip to NHMS to check out one of the NEDCO drift events.

Shortly after, the odometer rolled over 10K since the KA rebuilt in the winter of 2017/2018. Putting me between 6-7,000 miles on the car this season. I'm happy.

Recently my friend Matt stopped by to film a short video of the car. I couldn't be happier with how it came out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvg4-Mh5Vxo

Last edited by tuzzio; 11-23-2019 at 07:59 AM..