Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 06-15-2022, 12:52 PM   #121
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Steve, you have a nice car here. Perhaps, when my car is back on the road, I can make a day of it and come to an MA meet.
Old 06-16-2022, 03:46 AM   #122
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealwars View Post
Damn dude, the quality of work and dedication is really amazing. Nice to see that there's a few cars around still really being cared for. Love seeing the mileage updates each year, that's something to be proud of. Getting me motivated to finish my 1UZ swap.

Thanks for the kind words man. I haven't done many miles so far this year (just over 2,000) as the price of gas is too expensive for a lot of the aimless driving I do just to put miles on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Steve, you have a nice car here. Perhaps, when my car is back on the road, I can make a day of it and come to an MA meet.
Thanks for the kind words man. I almost never go to meets, but i'd make an exception for that. Maybe even try to put together one of the CT 240 meets if you did.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 03:51 AM   #123
jr_ss
Post Whore!

jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Thanks for the kind words man. I almost never go to meets, but i'd make an exception for that. Maybe even try to put together one of the CT 240 meets if you did.
To be honest, I?ve been to few with the car and usually, it?s with muscle car guys as they tend to be a more mature crowd. Either way, a 240 meet would be worth it. I?ve contemplated doing that in the local Philadelphia area.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:06 PM   #124
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
To be honest, I?ve been to few with the car and usually, it?s with muscle car guys as they tend to be a more mature crowd. Either way, a 240 meet would be worth it. I?ve contemplated doing that in the local Philadelphia area.
Eh, the local meets are weird. Turn14 cars & coffee is alright. Anywhere IN Philly would turn to shit real fast due to the Mopar dudes ruining everything as usual.

Then there's shit like that secret skyline meet in a hangar that gives me hope. So it's really hit or miss.

I'm down though.
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:04 PM   #125
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegekid View Post
Eh, the local meets are weird. Turn14 cars & coffee is alright. Anywhere IN Philly would turn to shit real fast due to the Mopar dudes ruining everything as usual.

Then there's shit like that secret skyline meet in a hangar that gives me hope. So it's really hit or miss.

I'm down though.
I think it could be a good crowd. Most of the skyline crowd is a mature crowd, there is always one or two in a group that are obnoxious though. I?ll keep it in mind. It wouldn?t be in the city though. I?m thinking where RADwood held theirs, by 322 on the water. Or in the West Chester, PA area.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:35 PM   #126
HonduhDave

Trader Rating: (0)
HonduhDave is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chromed TEs is really on another level of hotness. Such a fire look you have going on. Very inspirational!
HonduhDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:30 AM   #127
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Quick middle of season update:
With the cost of gas this year, I haven't nearly been driving around aimlessly as much as normal. Especially having 3 vehicles, it gets expensive quick. I've been trying to fix some things that were managable previously, but honestly, I couldn't be happier after fixing them.

First thing I did was grab the radium bulkhead fittings and re-wired my fuel pump hangar. I was having issues where my fuel gauge (Speedhut) wouldn't hold a calibration and was driving me nuts. I would fill the car, set the gauge to "full" and a mile down the road it would read 3/4 tank. I wasn't sure if it was the gauge or the hangar, but this seemed like a good upgrade anyways, and it did fix my issue.

The next thing thing I tackled was adding an IAC. I've never had an IAC. The car would idle pretty well, but it was basically undrivable unless I let it warm up for ATLEAST 5 minutes, even if I wanted to move it in / out of the garage. Occasionally, if I was turning at idle and the fan/or fans kicked on (I have them at staggered temperatures) the car would die. It was really annoying to say the least. After some research, I settled for the Ford 2 wire IAC (Motorcraft CX1917). The comination of cheap, readily available new, and simple was the deciding factor for me. Also, while I was adding wires to my harness, I added 2 wires and pinned them for an electric boost controller for the potential future.

I pulled the plenum off, and brought it over to Precision Speed LLC over in CT for some modfications. Xcessive sells a flange for this IAC, so I had it welded on.

Without a check valve, it will be a boost leak. Precision Speed then machined the flange to accept the Toyota Supra factory check valve. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Their work and products are second to none. Very lucky to have such a place local.

And while it was off, I gave it a quick polish.

My last order of business outside of regular maintenance, and driving around drinking coffee, was fixing my horns. An hour worth of work is something i've been putting off for years. I beep them fairly often just to make sure they still work.

https://i.imgur.com/96GPjsM.mp4

Edit: I forgot to add some stuff from the spring, so here it is.

When I was putting the car back together, I was tightening the passenger rear wheel while the car was on jackstands, and noticed some play. The ISIS Ruca heim joint(s) had a ton of play in them. I contacted ISR directly to see if they offered a replacement heim, and they told me they did not. Instead of doing some research, I opted to replace entirely with SPL RUCA, as it is a much more robust AND serviceable arm. I did the same with the tension rods, as they were in the same condition. I understand the RUCA's look like shit, and its no wonder the heims failed. Its from years of spraying dry silicone lubricant on them to stop a squeak I haven't been able to find yet, although this did cut it down a lot..

And while I was in there, I got the POR15 back out.

The Moroso battery box I installed in the last post is excellent, but I wasn't in love with the battery tie down. It was difficult to get a deep socket down between the tie down and box, and instead of finding the thinnest socket possible, or running a spacer to raise the nut, I opted to have Precision Speed LLC make me a billet battery tie down.

Back to the "small but cheap mods that make a difference": I carefully pried the trim rings off my defi gauges (boy was this nerve racking at first) and sprayed them SEM trim black to match my AEM Uego. This is something that I've been putting off for years, and can't believe I lived without for so long. Yes, I know the UEGO comes with a removable silver trim ring, but it looks like shit.

Last edited by tuzzio; 08-17-2022 at 04:49 AM..
Old 08-16-2022, 06:25 AM   #128
Danb
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Danb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
An hour worth of work is something i've been putting off for years. .
I could print this and hang it in my garage for motivation
Old 08-16-2022, 06:33 AM   #129
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danb View Post
I could print this and hang it in my garage for motivation
I think every s-chassis owner needs that.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:12 PM   #130
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I wish it was that simple in the S14. I had to deloom some of the SRS sub harness to have the connections for the horn. Why on earth did the engineers decide it was a good idea to have them run through that is unbeknownst to me?

Nice update…
Old 08-17-2022, 03:47 AM   #131
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Why on earth did the engineers decide it was a good idea

Nice update…
I start a lot of sentences with "I hate engineers" especially when it comes to automotive related things.

I guess I also forgot the part where I swapped in some SPL arms, edit made.

Last edited by tuzzio; 08-17-2022 at 04:51 AM..
Old 12-16-2022, 11:45 AM   #132
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Well, that wraps up the year. Its snowing and shitty weather in New England. Clocked about 6K miles on the 240 this year, which is less than ideal, but gas was too expensive to just aimlessly drive around like I normally do. And having 3 vehicles (up until recently, more on that later) gets expensive to fill up even if you don't drive them often.

I didn't do to much to the the car except gas an oil (which is a good thing!) but I did "rebuild" my cluster backround. The last one was literally made from a cutting board. Having better resources now, I contacted Precision Speed and had them make me a new backround out of ABS plastic. I had to do some final fitting, but all said and done, it sandwiches in between the cluster halves perfectly, and they're supposed to be listing these for sale sometime (if you want one, DM them on FB or IG) Everything was painted SEM trim black, and assembled.

I also contacted Precision Speed, and had them make me a billet throttle cable bracket, as the Xcessive one isn't very nice.

At some point in the season, I caved and finally made an IG ( _wildsteve ) and got sent a bunch of photos of the car i've never had before. Very thankful people like to capture it.

Also, I picked this up two weeks ago. My initial plan was to sell it because I hate silver, but I'll probably end up keeping it. Will be fun to drive and mod in a much more simple sense than my 240, but more fun to drive than my Corolla or my F150.

Old 12-16-2022, 11:06 PM   #133
jr_ss
Post Whore!

I always liked the 350/370z styling, but the early door panels really killed the interior for me. Now that the 400z is available and has shown promise in the upgrading world, I’ve got my sights set on one at some point. My probably is, that car, can’t be faster than the 240sx, so I fight with myself on which vehicle makes sense.

Driving a truck is just easier and more utilitarian.

Car looks good. I’m headed into the garage to tinker in the AM.
Old 12-17-2022, 05:06 AM   #134
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
My probably is, that car, can?t be faster than the 240sx, so I fight with myself on which vehicle makes sense.

Driving a truck is just easier and more utilitarian.

Car looks good. I?m headed into the garage to tinker in the AM.
So, the Z for me is going to be a simple set up, coils, wheels, adjustable arms to align it, intake, steering wheel, and thats basically it. I'd like something that retains AC, but is still fun to drive. I don't drive my 240 when its raining or 95+ degrees. I agree, the interior does feel very cheap, but I actually really like the way the car drives stock. And this will be a bit more fun to drive than my 2000 Corolla. I more or less only drive my truck when im doing dirtbike stuff.

Thanks for the kind words always!
Old 12-17-2022, 05:10 AM   #135
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Cool

Quote:
So, the Z for me is going to be a simple set up, coils, wheels, adjustable arms to align it, intake, steering wheel, and thats basically it. I'd like something that retains AC, but is still fun to drive. I don't drive my 240 when its raining or 95+ degrees. I agree, the interior does feel very cheap, but I actually really like the way the car drives stock. And this will be a bit more fun to drive than my 2000 Corolla. I more or less only drive my truck when im doing dirtbike stuff.

Thanks for the kind words always!
It makes sense. I drive my truck 90% of the time. 1, it?s for what I do and I?m allowed to use it for a percentage of personal use. I work from home, so I don?t have to go anywhere these days. However, once the 240 is done, I?ll find and excuse to go somewhere in it.

Bet that gas mileage rocks in the Rolla though?
Old 12-19-2022, 05:22 AM   #136
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Bet that gas mileage rocks in the Rolla though?
Believe it or not, my corolla and 240 both get 26-27 MPG (Unless im consistently mean to the 240). So the advantage isn't really there for me...haha
Old 12-19-2022, 04:44 PM   #137
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Quote:
Believe it or not, my corolla and 240 both get 26-27 MPG (Unless im consistently mean to the 240). So the advantage isn't really there for me...haha
That?s quite odd. The Rolla?s I?ve had as rentals typically got well into the 30?s.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:28 AM   #138
Afterbang166

Afterbang166 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've see this car on the Facebook page, glad I found it here.
What an awesome build, probably one of my favorite silvia swapped front end cars I've seen!
Do you remember where you got those LED tail lights? Been wanting something like that for a while... tired of changing bulbs.
Afterbang166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:54 AM   #139
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterbang166 View Post
What an awesome build, probably one of my favorite silvia swapped front end cars I've seen!
Do you remember where you got those LED tail lights? Been wanting something like that for a while... tired of changing bulbs.
Thanks for the kind words! The tail lights are the Circuit Sports 50/50 LED tail lights, and I got the boards pre-made from YAJ whenever I posted the photos. If am contemplating buying the Illumaesthetic DIY kit though so its actually uniform. Just unsure if I have the patience..haha
Old 02-09-2023, 08:10 AM   #140
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
First thing I did was grab the radium bulkhead fittings and re-wired my fuel pump hangar.

This looks very tidy, I have had the same issue for years now. It might be time to tackle this as a project.

good job.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:44 AM   #141
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph_KYAS13 View Post
This looks very tidy, I have had the same issue for years now. It might be time to tackle this as a project.
good job.
Thanks for the kind words! Definitely worth while to replace this 30 year old wiring for the low cost.
Old 07-28-2023, 02:47 PM   #142
tuzzio
Post Whore!

MId season update:
Just about to crest 4,000 miles since the spring, and more or less only been putting gas and oil in the car, which is a great feeling. If you follow me on instagram, its a lot of stories of me driving it and drinking starbucks.

Every year, I try to do small projects that make me appreciate the car a bit more, and hopefully will continue my desire to drive it as much as possible for as long as possible. Sometimes, i'm not always a grumpy old man.

I redyed my back seats black. They had faded since I had initially done it about 2 years ago, and its a simple - low cost rainy day project.

Lastly, I ditched the purple steering wheel bolts and drift button in favor of black. Having black/black in my 350z made it an easy decision.

The hardware that came with my LRB speed vent has always bothered me, so that got swapped out for black countersunk bolts as well.

I've really been lacking on audio upgrades. The infinity speakers I purchased in 2015 had served their purpose, and I got a screaming deal on 4 Alpine Type-R 6.5" Coaxial speakers. Amazon has their own sound deadening as well for C H E A P. I was able to both doors, the rear deck lid, the backside of the backseat, and have leftover for right around $60.

I was also put on to the Alpine power pack KTP-445A which is a 4 channel amp that adds 45 watts RMS to the speakers, and plugs directly into the back of an alpine head unit, and chassis harness. It lives directly behind my radio, and is worth every penny.

Since all of my other vehicles have subwoofers, it was time for the 240 to get the same treatment. I bought one of these JBL Basspro Hubs for the 350z, as it is designed to sit in the factory spare tire and I liked the idea that it was powered by a built in AMP, and didn't take up much room. Unfortunately, I had a few obstacles in the 240: I utilized that area for spare parts / tools / spacers / jumper cables. And I had removed the factory spare tire mounting bracket to maximize this space. So I had to come up with some simple ideas to feel like the compromise was worth it:

Firstly, the center of the spare tire well is raised quite a bit, and that was going to make my false floor sit directly on the sub by about 3". So I spent 30 minutes massaging it with every hammer / mallet I own. Before:

After:

I had posted an IG story of me smashing it with a hammer, and it was quite comical some of the responses I got from non-240 owners who don't make common practice of hitting their car with hammers.

Dry fit (No wires, etc)

I was able to obtain this folding crate from work, where I bought some d-rings and a strap from amazon, and simply bolt the d-rings to the false floor to hold all of the things that were in my spare tire well. I am very happy with the overall outcome of this project. And, this thing bumps WAY HARDER in the 240 than the Z. I assumed the open trunk area of the Z would be an advantage, but I was mistaken.

I was at Lock City Drift one day hanging out, and Raf (@spanishenglish on IG) wanted some photos of me / my car for his "Stand by your ride" project. I am very lucky and thankful for this opportunity. Thanks Raf!

Old 07-28-2023, 07:20 PM   #143
kingkilburn
Philosopher King

kingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfectionkingkilburn is close to perfection
The hardware that came with my LRB Speed vent tore up my dash. Makes me wonder why they didn't stick with the existing mounting points.

Yours looks good in black. I might have to pick up a can of trim black.
Old 07-29-2023, 08:06 AM   #144
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
This is my boyfriend.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 11:09 AM   #145
kanyedian
Zilvia Junkie

kanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nicekanyedian is just really nice
Nice thread. You're doing a lot of the upgrades that I have in my mind to do, i.e. dynamat, new carpet, clean/paint chassis component + upgrade bushings, etc.

Very smoove.

Also totally dig that titanium hood prop haha. Cheers from Tampa Bay :woo:
kanyedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 02:34 PM   #146
tuzzio
Post Whore!

This year was a pretty good one. Did about 7,000 miles on the coupe.

Driving to work one morning and I see some smoke / steam coming from under the hood. I pull over and grab my fire extinguisher just in case, but can't find anything conclusive. When I get to work I do some more investigating. Looks to be a power steering leak. When I get home, I discover my rack had shit out. Luckily Faction Motorsports had me a new k-fab rack within 2 days.

There was this one bump on my way to work that would make the rear of the car make a horrible noise. I assumed one of my coilovers was blown as I intended to replace them this winter anyways, and one day I took the wheel off to investigate. This is not what I was expecting to see.

I was very fortune that a local friend had a pair of rears he gave to me for free. Car was only down for about 2 days.

Driving one day and I feel like the car is getting louder. Low and behold, the wastegate runner had cracked, so brought that over to Travis for some welding and gusseting:

Also, cheat code: boost leak tester is also an exhaust leak tester. Stop burning your hands feeling around.

Toward the end of the year, I try to do some burnouts and kill the rear tires. I was midburnout, in 2nd gear between 6-7K RPM and noticed I lost oil pressure. I was able to baby the car home, but it knocks at about 3K RPM. I dumped the oil and saw the inevitable sparkle in the oil and knew. I was able to grab another KA from a friend for a decent deal ( in todays market) and have internals on the way. That will get built, while I tear mine down and see if I can just bearing slap it for a spare. I pulled my engine last night, bought an Artec manifold on Black Friday, and i'll be going with one of the new Turbosmart 5862 Turbos when the time comes. I got 43K miles out of this engine, and im not mad, more annoyed cause its just not fun.

Clutch was shot too:

Anyways, heres some nice photos of the car from this year taken by others. Thanks for lookin, see ya in the spring.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:52 AM   #147
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Well, that’s a helluva a way to end the year… sorry about the motor and other broken parts.
Old 12-16-2023, 08:03 AM   #148
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Quote:
Well, that?s a helluva a way to end the year? sorry about the motor and other broken parts.
Its just part of the game. I laughed because im coming up on 10 years owning this car in 10 days, and yet again, it'll be sitting there with no engine in it..haha.
I dropped off my new block at the machine shop this past week with pistons, so it'll be getting a similar build.

-ARP Main / Head Studs
-King Main / Rod Bearings
-Manley Rods
-Wiseco .020" pistons
-MLS headgasket (likely Cometic)

I disassembled my old bottom end last night, and I really killed everything. #2 Rod bearings went, the upper one pushed itself around the connecting rod, and killed the crank and rod.

Likely going to be done with that block. Its already bored .060" which is the max for a KA block (to my knowledge) so even if I got another good crank and another rod, I just don't see it being a good long term investment as a spare - when I can grab a longblock for 2-300 when the time strikes. Getting internals at cost through work helps.

Old 12-18-2023, 01:17 PM   #149
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Did you get a chance to inspect the oil pump or figure out why oil pressure was lost?
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 10:54 PM   #150
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Damn 43,000 miles is still good to get out of that thing. Sorry about the engine. I'm sure the rebuild will turn out just as good if not better than before.

How does your car steer with the new rack? I am still debating on getting mine rebuilt but have a hard time knowing if it needs it or not since I am not too sure how it feels to drive one with a new rack.