Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #31
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
I think the real issue at hand is, customers purchased from Tomei Usa thinking/being told they were getting authentic tomei japan product. Its a bait and switch.

Tomei usa HAS had qc issues, like the flanges on their oil pans being warped and needing to be decked or else they'll leak.
Correct this started back when the cams were breaking and a few were set back to TOMEI POWERED JAPAN and they issued that those werent the same parts that were being sent to the usa distributor. that just started the snowball of effect of what was from japan and what was not. i believe its deemed that anything with T in the model number is USA parts made by who knows.
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2019, 01:55 PM   #32
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB25GUY View Post
Correct this started back when the cams were breaking and a few were set back to TOMEI POWERED JAPAN and they issued that those werent the same parts that were being sent to the usa distributor. that just started the snowball of effect of what was from japan and what was not. i believe its deemed that anything with T in the model number is USA parts made by who knows.
accurate. KA-t cams were having issues breaking, so they got sent back to tomei japan, tomei japan was like WTF is this??? We didn't make THIS. Then it was discovered that Tomei USA was having different manufacturers produce goods. When I was at Tomei JP last January, they had the original Tomei JP ka-t cams, and showed us the difference between those and the Tomei USA ka-t cams.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #33
loser101
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
loser101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to loser101
Any one have any feedback on their KA turbo manifold?
Old 04-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #34
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I buddy of mine installed the entire KA-T turbo tomei has. He said it fit perfect to his pbm oval exhaust and down pipe. And the instructions are dead simple AMD easy to follow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
foreverdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #35
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
The KA manifold is super solid. I really can’t publicly say anything that is negative. But the changing of the logo is accurate . If you are looking for the japan parts, Tomei Japan is private labeling parts for Bluemoon Performance, Inc. This whole situation is unfortunate . Divorces always get ugly when money is involved. Be safe out there.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #36
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (19)
mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
turboshoebox = Tk rocket.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134044

FYI.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:07 PM   #37
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm glad you guys understand. some people have this misconception the US market stuff comes from the same country and Factory and it's the same quality which is not the case at all

Last edited by turboshoebox; 04-24-2019 at 10:09 PM..
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:12 AM   #38
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshoebox View Post
I'm glad you guys understand. some people have this misconception the US market stuff comes from the same country and Factory and it's the same quality which is not the case at all
AAAAAAAAAGAIN you’re way the fuck off the mark.

There are plenty of US brands who use the exact same factories and quality levels as “Jdm” brands.

It’s totally irrelevant to this scenario as well. The scenario here is Tomei USA basically pulled a bait and switch on their customers.

Doesn’t change the fact that cheap Japanese shit is cheap Japanese shit. Good American shit is good American shit. And vice versa.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2019, 01:44 AM   #39
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Who is even talking about us or Japanese brands in general scope here?

We been talking about tomei this entire time pal. I don't know where you got this turn into a JDM vs usdm brands debate.

Let's get back to the scope of discussion where you even said yourself the US market tomei stuff was not the same as the japan market tomei stuff.

Being u do seem well versed in this situation ...do u know when this started happening? I know tomei usa has been around since at least 2006 or 07. If it was longer its news to me.

I purchased all my tomei stuff via Sam at jspec around 2005. Durring that time he was getting from Japan direct
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #40
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
this post, that YOU made, is "who is even talking about US or Japanese brands in general scope here"
Quote:
Who is even talking about us or Japanese brands in general scope here?
We been talking about tomei this entire time pal. I don't know where you got this turn into a JDM vs usdm brands debate.
Let's get back to the scope of discussion where you even said yourself the US market tomei stuff was not the same as the japan market tomei stuff.
Being u do seem well versed in this situation ...do u know when this started happening? I know tomei usa has been around since at least 2006 or 07. If it was longer its news to me.
I purchased all my tomei stuff via Sam at jspec around 2005. Durring that time he was getting from Japan direct
Tomei USA has only been around for a few years, before, they were Tomei JP employees acting as representatives/sales people, servicing US vendors, like Frsport. At some point (i'm ballparking within the last 3-5yrs) the split happened, Tomei USA was started, and they started supplying "Tomei" parts that did not come through Tomei Japan.

I feel like this is the 4th of 5th time I've typed this...…

if you bought tomei through sam in 2005, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Tomei usa didn't exist in 2005.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2019, 04:57 PM   #41
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

mav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfectionmav1178 is close to perfection
some of the Tomei info in this thread is correct, some of it is not.

just look at it this way: corporations have shareholders, some companies protected themselves by assigning 100% ownership to another legal entity/individual in Japan, while others rely on a trusted individual to set up a company here (but did not retain any shares back in Japan or other overseas country/territory)

At the end of the day, buying from Japan does not mean it is made in Japan to begin with, it just means you make the overseas transaction from JPY to USD. If you have parts built in China or Taiwan, it may be the exact same item from the exact same factory but those countries prefer to sell/export in USD, so there's no fluctuation of exchange rates and your pricing is more stable.

Things like recession make buying in USD better, as your cost/price structure is intact and less fluid. HKS left the US market in 2008 primarily because the yen made their cost skyrocket by 50%... now they're back but they got smarter. They don't have any US warehouse/distribution structure (instead shipping directly to Turn 14 or Motovicity), and they decided to make their exhausts outside of Japan (in Thailand).

Greddy does the exact same thing, except most of it is produced in Taiwan and shipped to the US directly. Their most expensive exhausts (~$2000 MSRP) are still made in Japan.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:39 AM   #42
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
damn alex, you still exist? haha
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:51 AM   #43
RB25GUY
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
RB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to allRB25GUY is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
some of the Tomei info in this thread is correct, some of it is not.

At the end of the day, buying from Japan does not mean it is made in Japan to begin with
So what i was told that tomei powered japan has most of there stuff casted in taiwan and they shipped and are machined or refined at the japanese location.
RB25GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #44
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB25GUY View Post
So what i was told that tomei powered japan has most of there stuff casted in taiwan and they shipped and are machined or refined at the japanese location.
the only thing that Tomei can make in-house at their factory in Japan is camshafts and crankshafts.

even the cores need to be supplied from somewhere else... everything else they "make" is made somewhere else by some supplier.

a lot of people think these Japanese tuners are large factories that can make a lot of goods, once you work in a company with actual production or manufacturing in-house then you'll quickly realize it's impossible for them to do what they do and offer it at those price points.

anyone doing anything related to import of any product, will know that at some point you will play the exchange rate game. it's just how business flows, you end up going with cheaper suppliers or control/fix your cost from current suppliers. this whole Japan vs USA Tomei game is just more visible than what other companies have done in the past.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #45
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
it's just how business flows, you end up going with cheaper suppliers or control/fix your cost from current suppliers. this whole Japan vs USA Tomei game is just more visible than what other companies have done in the past.
This was my whole point on my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3b View Post

I think we are giving way too much credit for the japan wow factor of parts when they're just as on par and smart as Americans with cutting parts, logistics and getting stuff manufactured.
OG companies from 20 years ago are modernized and far different to what they once were and monopolized in the performance market.
R3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:25 AM   #46
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
you guys just dont get it, yo.

i want my car parts to say MADE IN JAPAN. this way, my parts cast evil spells on people who try to steal them.

you guys are all amateur. when i race, its always a tape death match. gutter drifts and all that shit.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:11 AM   #47
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
you guys just dont get it, yo.

i want my car parts to say MADE IN JAPAN. this way, my parts cast evil spells on people who try to steal them.

you guys are all amateur. when i race, its always a tape death match. gutter drifts and all that shit.
This thread isn’t about lighting, why are you here?

Quote:
Old 04-28-2019, 11:33 AM   #48
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Quote:
This thread isn’t about lighting, why are you here?
dunno. im trying to sell all my tomei parts after reading this thread tho

i mean, this is a big deal guys.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:00 PM   #49
MADE
Zilvia Addict

MADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant futureMADE has a brilliant future
Where is the references this doesn't sound right.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:23 AM   #50
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADE View Post
Where is the references this doesn't sound right.
Literally from page 1 of this thread
https://zilvia.net/f/showpost.php?p=...8&postcount=29

Quote:
Old 04-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #51
Ichi-Go
Leaky Injector

Ichi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymoreIchi-Go is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
accurate. KA-t cams were having issues breaking, so they got sent back to tomei japan, tomei japan was like WTF is this??? We didn't make THIS. Then it was discovered that Tomei USA was having different manufacturers produce goods. When I was at Tomei JP last January, they had the original Tomei JP ka-t cams, and showed us the difference between those and the Tomei USA ka-t cams.

Do Tomei USA KA24DE camshafts still break?

Last edited by Ichi-Go; 04-29-2019 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Added quote
Ichi-Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #52
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichi-Go View Post
Do Tomei USA KA24DE camshafts still break?
I’d perform a runout inspection on ANY cams purchased from Tomei USA. A local shop just had a brand new set of VQ cams being installed in a z33 and one of the cams snapped. They were following the FSM procedure and everything.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2019, 12:11 PM   #53
lewisfk
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
lewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond reputelewisfk has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I read through the thread and I'm very disappointed with Tomei USA, but this what you get from greedy ass people who care only of profit.(quantity over quality) Why haven't FrSport, Enjuku, or any of the big suppliers acknowledged this and mad efforts to ensure the customers they are getting genuine Tomei parts? As of to day; here is a link to Tomei USA distributors.

http://www.tomeiusa.com/dealers2.html#usa
lewisfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:43 PM   #54
LoSt180
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
LoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond reputeLoSt180 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Damn, and I just finished installing a Tomei headgasket as well as a set of Poncams.
LoSt180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #55
mav1178
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisfk View Post
I read through the thread and I'm very disappointed with Tomei USA, but this what you get from greedy ass people who care only of profit.(quantity over quality) Why haven't FrSport, Enjuku, or any of the big suppliers acknowledged this and mad efforts to ensure the customers they are getting genuine Tomei parts? As of to day; here is a link to Tomei USA distributors.

http://www.tomeiusa.com/dealers2.html#usa
Why?

Because they have zero control over this nor do they have any financial interest to care. Because none of this is really an issue, because US consumers don't change their buying habits.

We can spend all day talking about why but people here just see a brand that is marketed. Do people really think exhausts or gaskets from Japan are as cheap as they are?

In all honesty if Tomei USA only bought from Japan, they would've closed up shop 10 years ago.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:10 PM   #56
jumpman2334
Zilvia FREAK!

jumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud ofjumpman2334 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by illvialuver View Post
I really can’t publicly say anything that is negative.
or else what? tomei USA is going to come to your door and demand you edit your tomei USA posts on zilvia??

tomei USA, fight me.
jumpman2334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:41 PM   #57
spooled240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
spooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfectionspooled240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
So on a scale from Godspeed to ARC where does TomeiUSA stand? Are they like a premium Megan?

Quote:
I’d perform a runout inspection on ANY cams purchased from Tomei USA. A local shop just had a brand new set of VQ cams being installed in a z33 and one of the cams snapped. They were following the FSM procedure and everything.

I'm not sure how the VQ's are, but the Tomei cam installation procedure for the KA is different from the FSM.
spooled240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #58
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Why?

Because they have zero control over this nor do they have any financial interest to care. Because none of this is really an issue, because US consumers don't change their buying habits.

We can spend all day talking about why but people here just see a brand that is marketed. Do people really think exhausts or gaskets from Japan are as cheap as they are?

In all honesty if Tomei USA only bought from Japan, they would've closed up shop 10 years ago.
Wtf are you talking about??? Tomei USA has only been in existence a few years. Before that, they were literally outside sales people for Tomei Japan. Tomei USA absolutely has control of where they source goods from, and they decided on their own, to have an outside factory start making “tomei” products, and selling them to the American market.

ONCE AGAIN SINCE NO ONE CAN READ.

THIS ISNT A JAPAN VS USA ARGUMENT.

THIS IS A TOMEI USA SOLD PRODUCT TO CUSTOMERS WHO THOUGHT THEY WERE GETTING AUTHENTIC TOMEI JAPAN PRODUCTS, BUT WERE INFACT GETTING UNAUTHORIZED PRODUCT NOT MADE BY TOMEI JAPAN.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2019, 07:43 PM   #59
feito
Nissanaholic!

feito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymorefeito is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
the only thing that Tomei can make in-house at their factory in Japan is camshafts and crankshafts.

even the cores need to be supplied from somewhere else... everything else they "make" is made somewhere else by some supplier.

a lot of people think these Japanese tuners are large factories that can make a lot of goods, once you work in a company with actual production or manufacturing in-house then you'll quickly realize it's impossible for them to do what they do and offer it at those price points.

anyone doing anything related to import of any product, will know that at some point you will play the exchange rate game. it's just how business flows, you end up going with cheaper suppliers or control/fix your cost from current suppliers. this whole Japan vs USA Tomei game is just more visible than what other companies have done in the past.
just like brand name tools...
Old 04-30-2019, 07:30 AM   #60
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feito View Post
just like brand name tools...
Not really. It would be more like if your local snap on guy, who sells authentic snap on tools, Decided to have a separate factory start making “snap on” tools, and selling them AS authentic snap on tools, at full price.

Quote: