Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:40 PM   #91
240msh
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known240msh is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hoooooolllllyyy
Old 10-25-2021, 11:22 PM   #92
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
your car and work has always been impressive. i love the out the box thinking with the AC and EPS.

my only gripes were the excessively low ride height and USDM bumper(s), but thats all just personal preference and no longer applicable.

great job
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:21 AM   #93
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
your car and work has always been impressive. i love the out the box thinking with the AC and EPS.

my only gripes were the excessively low ride height and USDM bumper(s), but thats all just personal preference and no longer applicable.

great job
Thanks man really appreciate that. The JDM look has certainly grown on me and I'm happy to be keeping it at this point, for the indefinite future, maybe another 18 years? Haha.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:27 AM   #94
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Well long time no post, I have a couple things to update not a whole heck of a lot, this car is pretty much how it's going to be for the forseeable future at this point, short of a couple paint things (jdm grill, repaint one side mirror that's chipping, and paint a spare gas door hopefully for a better paint match)

Here's a couple photos of the bumpers and the new look on the car.

threw some r888r on the rear, 295/30/18 they do run a lot wider than the previous tires in the same size

The toyota emblem is gone for all of you who love it so much too
Old 03-23-2022, 09:40 AM   #95
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

And finally yes the car is tuned. Made 592/500 on a pretty conservative dyno. The clutch is rated at 650 wheel and it started to smell on the dyno so no more. I'm sure the r154 is thankful for that too. I'm really pleased with the setup and surprisingly the gearing is just perfect even though I thought it may be a little close. If I went with a much taller gear it would not be enjoyable on the street. The great part is boost comes on fairly early and hard (maybe 4000ish) and the powerband holds well until 7800. Here's a dyno video for anyone interested. It's got the early 2000s vibes going on with my editing Haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjRND5fn-dY
Old 03-31-2022, 01:45 AM   #96
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Congrats on the progress, I hope you eventually write up that power steering how to. I'm torn on doing something like this on the future or just converting to an electric pump.

Curious to see what was done with the rack itself as well, was it filled with fluid and just looped? etc.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:19 AM   #97
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
Congrats on the progress, I hope you eventually write up that power steering how to. I'm torn on doing something like this on the future or just converting to an electric pump.

Curious to see what was done with the rack itself as well, was it filled with fluid and just looped? etc.
For the rack all I did was disconnect the factory hoses from the pump and reservoir and loop them so the fluid can move side to side. I've put about 12-1500 miles on the setup now and really enjoy it, honestly I don't even think about the electric conversion at this point. The only slight drawback to the way I did it is the column has a little bit of slop in it because of the addition of an extra joint between the two 2 bolt mounting points from the column to the body. You really only notice it when maneuvering at low speeds when using more steering angle the wheel will sort of move up and down just slightly. I will eventually add some more bracing to hopefully counteract this. Tilt still works great and it's nice and responsive on the road as well. I have also done this on the 2jz 280z I'm building (with manual rack) and it's great.

I don't really have enough photos to put together a real how to but I will post some of the process in the next post and I can answer any questions anyone has too.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:24 AM   #98
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
I have also done this on the 2jz 280z I'm building (with manual rack) and it's great.
Where the H-E Double FUCK is that build thread and WHEN are we getting it?
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:10 AM   #99
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

stock s14 column

stock s14 and equinox columns stripped down

s14 column and shaft

These are the important parts needed from the GM eps for the conversion.
red arrow- splined/female splined upper steering shaft will be welded to the upper part of the s14 steering shaft
yellow- section of the 3 bolt flanged tube that bolts to the motor will be welded to the upper part of the s14 steering column
green- output shaft from the electric motor and corresponding splined u joint needs to be welded onto lower s14 steering shaft before the firewall

you need to cut the female splined portion down below the flared area so it fits inside the steering column

welding/sleeving the female splined shaft to s14 upper steering shaft

upper column completed

U joint that connects to the output shaft of the motor welded to lower section of the s14 steering shaft

completed EPS s14 column vs stock

You need to heat the duct work here and slightly deform it to make room for the electric motor

installed

Here is the controller I used. Super easy to do.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28439860755...sAAOSw~oNhYvX2
and where I mounted the potentiometer. You can also see where the lower cover had to be trimmed some to clear the electric motor.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:41 AM   #100
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
lots of awesome pictures
I found a couple of videos of this conversion other enthusiasts did. I think this guy gave a good explanation of this conversion.

dune buggy
https://youtu.be/oRNOmAqsVLg

240z
https://youtu.be/rJa35Gt6rFs

miata
https://youtu.be/glOPjJcFBK4

I'm glad to see people continuing to innovate. looks like you can relocate the steering ecu if you desire. But seems you made it work in the oem location so that's cool.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:07 PM   #101
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
I found a couple of videos of this conversion other enthusiasts did. I think this guy gave a good explanation of this conversion.

dune buggy
https://youtu.be/oRNOmAqsVLg

240z
https://youtu.be/rJa35Gt6rFs

miata
https://youtu.be/glOPjJcFBK4

I'm glad to see people continuing to innovate. looks like you can relocate the steering ecu if you desire. But seems you made it work in the oem location so that's cool.
Haven't watched those videos but I agree it's definitely a nice upgrade. Lots of people are doing it in muscle cars too. I had been told that you can move the ECU as well but I attempted to do it to another GM column at the pull yard just to see and when I pulled it off there were several small wires that had to be extended and one of them even tore out of the solder joint. Perhaps it can only be moved on some and not others? I decided not to try to move it for that reason. The trimming to that lower panel was really minimal and you have to crouch down to even see the electric motor in there so no big deal to have to trim it IMO.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:24 PM   #102
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Where the H-E Double FUCK is that build thread and WHEN are we getting it?
well it's not really my car but I'm kind of the driving force behind the whole build and doing the planning and fabrication, wiring, painting etc. Here's a couple pictures and I can post a few more. The car will be painted the same color as we did the bay, toyota spruce mica. It's a more modest build 2jzgte vvti / honed, re-ringed, HG/HS, s362 with rev9 manifold, 50mm wastegate on stock ecu at 10-12psi for starters. Solstice ar5 with a single disk clutch. It will be on s-chassis coilovers with modern brakes and watanabe reps and zg style flares etc.

Old 07-09-2022, 09:10 AM   #103
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Well I've finally gotten to do the interior! I wanted to keep the OEM + theme and took some inspiration from 90s luxury cars (and ferrari leather color). Dyed the carpet and floor mats black, installed nappa leather seats and door inserts and center console lid.

I used SEM ColorCoat Landau black aersol for the carpets. The carpet is still nice and soft and the color is very even. 10/10 recommend this for anyone who wants "OEM" black carpet.

The floormats are higher pile so I decided to dye them with RIT dye, soaked about 12 hours then let dry. I wasn't totally happy with the color, it was still slightly blue green and purple in some spots so after they dried I sprayed with a few light coats of the colorcoat as well. I'm super impressed with how this came out using the ColorCoat. It really makes the biggest difference for not much money or effort.

The seat covers were from ridies.com in cognac/miata orange. I'm pretty pleased with the fit and the install was straight forward even if there were a few expletive's here and there!

sound deadening installed while it was all out. This is a cheaper brand but had great reviews so we will see...

Also painted and put on a JDM grill. I do have to say I prefer the fit of the USDM grill around the headlights much more but maybe I'll get used to it.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:54 AM   #104
Janz99
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Janz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the roughJanz99 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks amazing, top notch work!
Janz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:20 AM   #105
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
I like that p/s set up
how is it?
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 12:00 PM   #106
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Thanks. Love it, works awesome. Here's a quick video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8axVTjsbTk
Old 07-12-2022, 02:14 PM   #107
future
Post Whore!

future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
That looks like it took some work but cool thing to do

are you still messing with headlights?
Old 07-13-2022, 08:35 AM   #108
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
That looks like it took some work but cool thing to do

are you still messing with headlights?
Thanks, definitely a great upgrade to delete all the hydraulic BS. No I'm not really doing headlights unless someone reaches out.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:52 AM   #109
future
Post Whore!

I just remember you from here way back and also the hidplanet days of mine that were short lived. I couldn't deal with them anymore haha
Old 07-23-2022, 06:46 PM   #110
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Dude I have always loved this car. It was pinnacle when I first joined the forum and still feels like the pinnacle now. Love it.
Old 07-25-2022, 11:42 AM   #111
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Thanks really appreciate it! I'd love to see something similar with an s13 interior.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:14 AM   #112
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

made a quick walk around video the other week

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVK3jYQEhBk
Old 08-30-2022, 12:15 PM   #113
Om1kron
Post Whore!

I've seen a few of your other headlight builds, why the big projector for the hi-beams? also looks like you added extra shrouding around the normal lights? or am I trippin.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:06 PM   #114
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
I've seen a few of your other headlight builds, why the big projector for the hi-beams? also looks like you added extra shrouding around the normal lights? or am I trippin.
The qx4 high beam projector just looks cool to me, I've always wanted to use it and that is the perfect spot for it. They are used as DRL with the fog light switch, but pretty much for show. The round projector is a mini d2s 4.0 bixenon so that is my low/high. There is no kind of shroud other than the factory JDM bezels which I painted silver. I painted the cutoff shields on all of the projectors a bluish color so they appear blue when off.

The back of the headlight in the high beam spot had to be cut and plastic welded so that the back cap would be centered with the projector bowl. I 3d printed brackets to hold the projectors that bolt up to the factory mounts/adjusters.
Old 08-30-2022, 08:55 PM   #115
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Sick. I’ll make sure to share my lights when I finish building them. Hopefully they’re up to snuff since i’d be following your tutorial
Old 08-31-2022, 05:06 AM   #116
tuzzio
Post Whore!

tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Its amazing how slept on retrofits are to the average person. I did my first retrofit 6 years ago to my bricks, and now all 3 of my vehicles have Mini H1 retrofits.
tuzzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:28 AM   #117
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzzio View Post
Its amazing how slept on retrofits are to the average person. I did my first retrofit 6 years ago to my bricks, and now all 3 of my vehicles have Mini H1 retrofits.
It's a lot of work but definitely worth it to be able to see at night! I'm in the same boat, everything I have is retrofitted. I built lights for my truck before it even arrived here.

Old 04-15-2023, 06:36 PM   #118
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Build some LED tails for my car and thought i'd share.
It's currently being torn down for a grannas racing 6spd kit. Very excited for that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRVOJl9gK84

Last edited by silviaks2nr; 08-22-2023 at 12:41 PM..
silviaks2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 07:29 PM   #119
projectsupra
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
projectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of lightprojectsupra is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Awesome job, car looks amazing!
Grannas is right down the street from me now since their recent move.
projectsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 05:33 AM   #120
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectsupra View Post
Awesome job, car looks amazing!
Grannas is right down the street from me now since their recent move.
thanks! Haha nice! Does that mean you get a hook up?