Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-17-2023, 11:19 PM   #1
Dsmturbo

Trader Rating: (0)
Dsmturbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
240sx drift car what to take to the track

What?s do you guys take to a track day drifting. I currently just finished my second track day 1st was good second blew ps pump and had a spare one and replaced it I made a few bags of stuff I might need . I do drive my car to the track and back what spare parts do you take I currently have ps pump, tie rods, lug nuts, hoses, axle, every fluid and a bunch of tools.
Dsmturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2023, 02:59 PM   #2
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
depends on the reliability of the car and if you have a trailer or not. i usually just bring wheels/tires and basic tools + a jack.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 03:32 PM   #3
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
A truck and trailer with the car. \thread
Old 06-19-2023, 05:58 AM   #4
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
basically what you mention is what I bring. The only spare parts I habitually bring are inner tie rod ends and spark plugs.

If I'm running a far-away weekend long event (rare for me) I may bring a spare trans, axles, and rack. But I have a truck/trailer so if I break that means I can just chill out and start the beer.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 07:17 AM   #5
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
I have a trailer [soon to be enclosed, but open right now] but you can usually sneak some things at the front of the trailer, in the trunk/cab of the car, or in the bed of the truck if you're tight for space. This is a quick list of shit I bring and I can definitely be missing stuff:
-Tool bag with everything that I commonly use [sockets, wrenches, power tools, extensions, breaker bars, torch]
-Extra fully charged batteries for all my electric powered stuff
-Wheel chuck/tire pressure gauge
-5 extra lug nuts/wheel studs [don't ask, just trust me]
-Jack
-A tub of extra nuts, bolts, washers, screws, rivets, etc.
-Small master kit of various fuses sizes/styles that are relevant to my car
-Everything needed to do an oil change [both engine oil and diff, with an oil pan]
-Coolant [or water depending on your track rules]
-Brake fluid
-ATF/power steering fluid
-Plugs
-Coil(s)
-Pair of axles
-Pair of tie rods
-Empty 5 gallon bucket
-Fuel
-Jump pack
-Jack
-Tires [preferably already mounted on wheels ready to go]
-Car

For two day events, sometimes I'll bring shit like a head gasket, timing belt, torque wrench, shit needed to repair something catastrophic over the night to keep drifting the next day. If it's a single day event, I'll leave this stuff at home and just loan the car up and my day is over.

The key is to have everything needed that is detrimental to your car running/get it back running if there is no catastrophic failure. If it's a two-day event, I try to plan for those too. Regardless, you'll know what your car keeps breaking or is likely to break and when you do, keep 1-2 spare sets with you at all times.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 08:19 AM   #6
Dsmturbo

Definitely need to step my game up I’m only 30 minutes away from the track
Old 06-19-2023, 09:22 AM   #7
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmturbo View Post
Definitely need to step my game up I?m only 30 minutes away from the track
Don't use that as a crutch to not bring shit. 30 minutes leaving the track, 30 minutes back, X minutes looking for shit to do the job. It ain't fun. A trailer-mounted toolbox or something in the bed or whatever is a godsend. Having the ability to immediately fix shit on the spot to get you back there is the sauce. Then if it's a more intricate repair that you just put a bandaid on to finish the run group, you can then park it, figure out what you need and go grab whatever you're missing.

It's better to have too much than too little until you're in a rhythm and know what to bring and how to bring it.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:25 AM   #8
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
If that's the case, just bring bare essential tools, wheels/tires, and a jack. Have a plan with a friend if things go south. 30 minutes is practically neighboring the track compared to what a lot of people travel for events.

Assuming likelihood is things will go without issue, you'll thank yourself for how much less shit you need to put away after the event. Unpacking lots of shit on a Sunday night after an exciting/exhausting weekend before work the next day is by far my least favorite part of drifting.

Edit: Lol looks like you're getting conflicting information from me and Supa. I don't disagree w him but I also like keeping it simple. I spend more time packing camping gear than car stuff usually anyway.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 09:43 AM   #9
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
just bring a giant bag of money, and matches.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 10:35 AM   #10
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
If that's the case, just bring bare essential tools, wheels/tires, and a jack. Have a plan with a friend if things go south. 30 minutes is practically neighboring the track compared to what a lot of people travel for events.

Assuming likelihood is things will go without issue, you'll thank yourself for how much less shit you need to put away after the event. Unpacking lots of shit on a Sunday night after an exciting/exhausting weekend before work the next day is by far my least favorite part of drifting.

Edit: Lol looks like you're getting conflicting information from me and Supa. I don't disagree w him but I also like keeping it simple. I spend more time packing camping gear than car stuff usually anyway.
Unfortunately, my track isn't half hour away - it's an hourish on a great day, and a new track opening up is well over two. So I generally pack for the weekend. However, most of my spare stuff never leaves the trailer minus my electric impacts and stuff - it's all throw away shit like Pittsburg/ICON/Gearwrench/store brand shit for hand tools that if I lose one or have to 'modify' it, I don't care. I don't spend a lot of time packing the trailer for trips - the most amount of time is spent mounting tires and tying everything down.
Old 06-19-2023, 11:57 AM   #11
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
I'm also about 30 minutes from my local track. I used to way over pack, but all I bring with me anymore aside from tires is a jack, jack stands, electric impact, torque sticks and one of those 300 piece starter tool kits you can get from harbor freight or your local big box store. I don't even bother bringing spare parts with me anymore and will just eat the entry fee on the rare occasion something breaks.

I have a truck and access to several trailers but find myself street driving to most events unless its two or more hours away. Loading up the truck and trailer is too much of a hassle when the track is just up the road imo. I've found the less I bring/have to deal with the more fun I tend to have.

This advice is obviously going to be dependent on the type of car you drive though. Most of my cars are dual purpose street/track setups that retain some comforts and are semi-pleasant to drive. If you have a full blown race car, trailering is always going to be the best bet.

Last edited by Rustys14; 06-19-2023 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: grammar
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 12:00 PM   #12
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My car was my daily driver and also my track car. I had two issues over eight years of tracking the car- one time, it wouldn't start when cold, which rectified itself, then another time my exhaust fell off. That was it. Never even took the valve cover off in those eight years.

I brought everything you brought along with a jack and jack stands with 2x12x12 blocks of wood to put under the stands if the day is hot and the asphalt is soft. Plus two rolls of high-quality duct tape and several sizes of zip ties.

Go through the car and address all deferred maintenance. Upgrade your cooling system with quality parts and use good coolant. Know your car.

Be mechanically sympathetic and set limits for yourself. You can develop as a driver without destroying the car.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 02:48 PM   #13
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree View Post
My car was my daily driver and also my track car. I had two issues over eight years of tracking the car- one time, it wouldn't start when cold, which rectified itself, then another time my exhaust fell off. That was it. Never even took the valve cover off in those eight years.

I brought everything you brought along with a jack and jack stands with 2x12x12 blocks of wood to put under the stands if the day is hot and the asphalt is soft. Plus two rolls of high-quality duct tape and several sizes of zip ties.

Go through the car and address all deferred maintenance. Upgrade your cooling system with quality parts and use good coolant. Know your car.

Be mechanically sympathetic and set limits for yourself. You can develop as a driver without destroying the car.
I think your experience at the track is not the typical experience. If I - or anyone here - had eight years of basic shit going wrong, we probably aren't driving hard enough or even driving enough period. I don't break my car every event, but I also do 10-15 events a year most of which are multiple days. Shit is going to break, I promise.

If you're doing an event a year or whatever, sure. Don't bring anything. If you are thrashing out there, tandeming, and wheeling it like you're in the zone, there isn't a God in existence that will save you from breaking shit.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:45 PM   #14
Dsmturbo

Thank you every one will definitely start buying a bunch of stuff you guys suggested. The car is pretty reliable I recently replaced all arms with gk tech everything replaced every ball joint and bushing to solid on the whole car so everything is new not one bolt left un touched and pulled the motors and re gaskets every single gaskets and put new clutch and all new timing chain and bearing water pump ect and deleting everything I dident need car only got 3 coolant hoses and no emissions and because I do street drive it my car is packed with everything and my friend just gave me roof rack so I can put 4 wheels and tires
Old 06-20-2023, 06:18 AM   #15
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

You don't have to really go balls to the wall - yet. By the sounds of it, you'll be in C group or whatever the entry level group is your local drift club starts newbies at. When you start getting into the higher tiers and start tandeming, you'll start breaking shit. Just getting into the hobby, you can pack lightly - but still bring the essentials which is most of your fluids, plugs, etc.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:40 AM   #16
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It can go either way when you're talking about a 30 year old car, really, but when these cars were less old I used to advise people against going out and replacing all the suspension before your first events because new stuff that you just installed at home is more likely to go wrong your first weekend out than stuff that's been on there for a few years. Plus more adjustment = more ways to be set up wrong.

I guess what I'm saying is just be prepared for crib death of new parts and those three bolts out of the thousand you touched that you forgot to final torque.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:46 AM   #17
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
I think your experience at the track is not the typical experience. If I - or anyone here - had eight years of basic shit going wrong, we probably aren't driving hard enough or even driving enough period. I don't break my car every event, but I also do 10-15 events a year most of which are multiple days. Shit is going to break, I promise.
I drove the car hard but kept it on track except occasional (mostly accidental) dirt drops and, most importantly, kept it to bolt-ons on a KA. Did 4-7 track events a year for the first three years; most were Sat/Sun and in 90+ degree weather.

You get more track time if you can be out when everyone else is experiencing cooling issues.

The track also matters. I only ran smaller tracks with no very long sweepers, and I think that was a big factor in not having fuel delivery or oil pressure issues.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 11:15 AM   #18
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
kept it to bolt-ons on a KA
Yeah... back to my point exactly.

In a 100% bone stock car (with fresh, not 30 year old parts) once you take care of improving braking and cooling it becomes basically indestructible. You really won't be breaking stuff often because with like a stock KA and rubber bushings and 205-225 width street tires you're not stressing anything.

But you're also not going very fast. This is, IMO, good if it's your first time or hell, your first year. But this gets old if you're not Yasuyuki Kazama.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:18 PM   #19
truecronic

truecronic is an unknown quantity at this point
depends on the car/power.

I use to drift a stock ka s14 and had zero issue's. just install a fresh set on the rear before track day and go turn 50 laps... even the stock rad held up just fine with multiple 3-4lap outings.

sr20'd s-chassis and your replacing tires alot more, due to speed and skill dirt drops become issue's on suspension and body components and keeping the heat down is sometimes a issue.

ls1 s-chassis - tires get replaced very often, wear and tear on all driveline components, fuel, spark plugs, heat issues. typical spares would be axles/diff/break pads/suspension arms, wheel bearings etc.

basically depends on how the car is setup ... keep it closer to stock and the less you need.... the more nuts you get with performance and the more nuts packing up for the track becomes... 8/10 guys overbuild their cars and regret it due to cost, issues, drivability. I often times see people build another fun car after a serious competition build due to the cost to run a competitive car and all involved including a spares program.
truecronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 09:42 PM   #20
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Back in the day doing grip track days in my stock S13 the coolant would be boiling in the reservoir. The S14 stock rad has about 1/3 more capacity than the S13 stock rad though. 24mm core vs 16mm.