Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-12-2019, 01:55 AM   #1
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Psa: do not buy from tomei usa or any of their distributors

This may not not to news to everyone but this is news to me.

Sad to see tomei usa did this to one of my fav brands.

So tomei usa was contracted to sell and make parts for the us market. Any part number you see that starts with a t was made by tomei usa.

Tomei japan found out that the parts were being made sub par and cut all ties with tomei usa. Now they are separate entities.

So if you want the real deal order from rhdjapan or nengun. The Japanese part numbers are just numbers. No t.

Example:
Sr20 oil pan

11111R520 vs TB205A-NS08A

Corect me if I'm wrong on any of this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwInrMCF...=1xs9bdj1ybafd
turboshoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2019, 02:23 AM   #2
MrMigs
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
MrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond reputeMrMigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to MrMigs Send a message via AIM to MrMigs
Have the new "Tomei USA" 258 pooncams. Let's see what happens

Drifting is just a compromise between you and your car.
MrMigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
wow...may explain why when i inquired to my tuner about a tomei block he steered me clear of it saying there were more failures from them compared to a lot of the other brands on the market...
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
snorkelcoupe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
snorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her selfsnorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her selfsnorkelcoupe is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I’m guessing this is why Tomei USA and Japan have different logos now..
snorkelcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
all of the tomei KA stuff (turbo manifold, cams, etc) are all Tomei USA product.
Tomei JP kinda let em have that in the divorce.

just be aware that if you want Tomei JP, you need to order from an authorized Tomei JP vendor, many current shops who carry Tomei aren't even aware of this split, since Tomei USA USED to be the distribution network for Tomei JP, and they aren't doing much to advertise the split.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

turboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymoreturboshoebox is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi03 View Post
wow...may explain why when i inquired to my tuner about a tomei block he steered me clear of it saying there were more failures from them compared to a lot of the other brands on the market...
I assumed the crate motors were built in japan unless tomei usa took over for us market with their 2nd rate internals and built it themselves.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshoebox View Post
I assumed the crate motors were built in japan unless tomei usa took over for us market with their 2nd rate internals and built it themselves.
tomei japan is still the ones building crate motors.

personally I have not heard of any failures from their crate motors, but anytime someone says "my friend heard of _____" its a red flag to me, not actual first hand information. If anyone PERSONALLY had a tomei crate motor fail on them due to mechanical issue, i'd be interested to hear it.

tomei USA website shows all the photos and information of engines being build by "Tomei Powered" which is tomei Japan

http://www.tomeiusa.com/?p=6048#more-6048
it even links to tomei japan website
http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/_2003web-ca...x-com-eng.html

Quote:
Old 04-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #8
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Wait, so Tomei Japan, the brand that everyone recognizes as being a high quality product, has been selling us parts that are made by someone completely different and now that that factory has been caught cutting corners they are just going to cut ties and tell those of us who bought their product that we are SOL? Am I understanding this correctly?
Old 04-12-2019, 02:13 PM   #9
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

Tomei usa not japan.. I don't think it was the factory cutting corners but tomei usa putting in the order for cutting corning to maximize profit. From my understanding they were still using the same factories but lower grade finished product
Old 04-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #10
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Tomei usa not japan.. I don't think it was the factory cutting corners but tomei usa putting in the order for cutting corning to maximize profit. From my understanding they were still using the same factories but lower grade finished product
Tomei japan authorized Tomei usa to sell authentic tomei japan product in the united states.

tomei USA went behind tomei Japan and had a DIFFERENT factory manufacture Tomei products, and sell them as Tomei product in USA (also branded RSE/ Real Speed Engineering)

Tomei japan discovers this, after customer complaints about quality, cuts ties with Tomei USA, but since the people who run Tomei USA own the licensing for the Tomei NAME, in USA, tomei japan has to come out and publicly say "hey tomei USA product is NOT made by Tomei JAPAN"

got it?

Quote:
Old 04-12-2019, 02:59 PM   #11
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Ouch
lmao just make sure whenever you buy any JDM performance parts that they are at least 12 years old.

Actually, stretch that rule to almost everything, mass consumption/consumer products produced by large corporation manufacturing seems to be poisoning all our products and water/food.
Makes me wonder how much of it might be on purpose, doesn't greed do that? We all breath the same air, so our problems... are everybody's

Unless you live in a sealed facility with its own water purification and environment for growing food &c. Hmmm
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #12
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
Ouch
lmao just make sure whenever you buy any JDM performance parts that they are at least 12 years old.
there are still plenty of sources for authentic Tomei Japan product *CoughBLUEMOONcough*

so far I haven't heard of anyone having issue with any of the Tomei USA ka-t products like the cast manifold, or cams, just people who ordered oil pans, and the flange is warped and needs to be milled flat.

Quote:
Old 04-12-2019, 04:24 PM   #13
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

Americans always have to ruin everything when they get their hands on it. Cars, companies, movies,music, drifting Etc
Old 04-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #14
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

Tomei usa likes to make posts about fake tomei parts when they were the fakers the whole time
Old 04-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #15
Coupes_FTW
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Coupes_FTW is making a name for him/her selfCoupes_FTW is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
sweet. bought some poncams a while ago, just checked the part numbers and they are jdm tyte
Coupes_FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #16
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

T now stands for terrible
Old 04-13-2019, 09:57 AM   #17
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Americans always have to ruin everything when they get their hands on it. Cars, companies, movies,music, drifting Etc
Lol dude you have no idea what you’re talking about. Who are the Americans in this scenario?

Quote:
Old 04-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #18
afishysilvia
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
afishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfectionafishysilvia is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Lol dude you have no idea what you’re talking about. Who are the Americans in this scenario?
Where was this expected to go, started out with a cause and found a way to fuck this thread like he always does.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #19
turboshoebox
Zilvia Addict

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Tomei USA....
Old 04-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #20
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Tomei USA....
Did you miss the entire part where “tomei USA” is dudes FROM tomei, who WERE the US distributor, but registered the Tomei name IN THEIR PERSONAL NAME, and now are a separate entity? I’m not sure where you thought Americans were responsible for any of this.

Lack of accurate information. Ugh.

Quote:
Old 04-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #21
SteffbuiltNOLA

SteffbuiltNOLA is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Tomei USA....
Where are you from dude?

On track, my friend just had his tomei head gasket fail but that could always be do to user error though he’s just gunna blame the part regardless lol?
SteffbuiltNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:51 PM   #22
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
Genuine question but what is the difference between this whole thing vs where we got most of our other performance parts. Pretty well know companies all hit up the same manufactures aka china all get the same work done in bulk then just brand and distribute the products.

I forgot where I read or saw but doesn't Manley and eagle share the same manufacture for rods? Its just one has better QC on what is getting released.

Tomei has always been the best of the best but for arguments sake if Tomei USA is just rebranding or choosing other manufactures wouldnt they just use the same sources as other companies? Rods be the same as manley/eagle, headgasket the same as cometic, turbo same as precision being literal garret Chinese clones but have there own billet wheels and so on? Besides really niche stuff like baffled oil pans, fpr, turbo manifold and TI exhaust literally there whole catalog you can easily find a USDM equivalant or clone.

I think we are giving way too much credit for the japan wow factor of parts when they're just as on par and smart as Americans with cutting parts, logistics and getting stuff manufactured.
OG companies from 20 years ago are modernized and far different to what they once were and monopolized in the performance market.

Until I see some major info released about difference in QC Im sure Tomei USA will put out the same sort of products what us americans are already expected to get and Tomei JP is doing the understandable thing and "cover your ass". Im all for authentic and good parts but this is the same thing as whole bride jp/ canada thing.
R3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #23
SteffbuiltNOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3b View Post
Genuine question but what is the difference between this whole thing vs where we got most of our other performance parts. Pretty well know companies all hit up the same manufactures aka china all get the same work done in bulk then just brand and distribute the products.

I forgot where I read or saw but doesn't Manley and eagle share the same manufacture for rods? Its just one has better QC on what is getting released.

Tomei has always been the best of the best but for arguments sake if Tomei USA is just rebranding or choosing other manufactures wouldnt they just use the same sources as other companies? Rods be the same as manley/eagle, headgasket the same as cometic, turbo same as precision being literal garret Chinese clones but have there own billet wheels and so on? Besides really niche stuff like baffled oil pans, fpr, turbo manifold and TI exhaust literally there whole catalog you can easily find a USDM equivalant or clone.

I think we are giving way too much credit for the japan wow factor of parts when they're just as on par and smart as Americans with cutting parts, logistics and getting stuff manufactured.
OG companies from 20 years ago are modernized and far different to what they once were and monopolized in the performance market.

Until I see some major info released about difference in QC Im sure Tomei USA will put out the same sort of products what us americans are already expected to get and Tomei JP is doing the understandable thing and "cover your ass". Im all for authentic and good parts but this is the same thing as whole bride jp/ canada thing.
I can agree to an extent. When it comes to forged components it’s probably the same thing as ar15 forged upper and lower recievers. Mostly come from the same forgers but the differences in brands is the machining of the blanks. Forging isn’t cheap and there’s only so many forges out there with companies that have a rep to uphold. Cast parts I’d say is a different story bc it’s easy to cast and cost little start up cost therefore you would have more variatability. Seats I’d say is another one that could yield serious results. Metal frames are dependent on the quality of metal and frp/cf is not only dependent on the initial material quality but also how it’s layered and directionally layer out which will determine the strength of the product. I can buy an authentic bride and make a mold of the shell and make my own shit but I can guarantee if I do no further research and just layed our fiberglass in one direction that mine will shatter from being too thin and under reinforced in certain key areas. I like building my own stuff but I’m not about to hammer forge rods and pistons in my backyard nor am I gunna make a rep seat that’s an exact copy without knowing where and how key areas and reinforced.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:43 PM   #24
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3b View Post
100%. Feal is on the top of turboshoebox's shitlist but if he's just now learning about Tomei I bet 95% of the parts on his car are labeled as Japanese but made in Taiwan. As long as it all works, has good QC, manufacturer has good customer support, who gives a fuck.

I love how we'd all kind of forgotten (maybe even got past) the turboshoebox thing...then this happens lol.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:46 PM   #25
JDMJNKY
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
JDMJNKY is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDMJNKY
This is sad news, knowing all my recent goods are marked TB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
As long as it all works, has good QC, manufacturer has good customer support, who gives a fuck.
true, I've had success w/ written off companies.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:07 AM   #26
SteffbuiltNOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
100%. Feal is on the top of turboshoebox's shitlist but if he's just now learning about Tomei I bet 95% of the parts on his car are labeled as Japanese but made in Taiwan. As long as it all works, has good QC, manufacturer has good customer support, who gives a fuck.

I love how we'd all kind of forgotten (maybe even got past) the turboshoebox thing...then this happens lol.
Agreed and Lulz
Old 04-17-2019, 04:54 AM   #27
ixfxi
Post Whore!

ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
i dont see what the big deal is...

after all, we're all big, dumb, loud americans who dont care where our products come from. as long as they're made by slaves we're happy. this way, we can drink beer, belch, and drift our cars into walls like gorillas.

besides, i thought tomei was made in the same factory as isis. i have isis arms on my race house and its still standing, i drift it every day
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #28
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJNKY View Post
This is sad news, knowing all my recent goods are marked TB.
true, I've had success w/ written off companies.
I think the real issue at hand is, customers purchased from Tomei Usa thinking/being told they were getting authentic tomei japan product. Its a bait and switch.

Tomei usa HAS had qc issues, like the flanges on their oil pans being warped and needing to be decked or else they'll leak.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #29
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
OP's instagram link is dead, so here's a press release from Tomei Powered Inc.

http://www.tomei-p.co.jp/tomei-brand/

Tomei Powered Inc. vs. Tomei Powered USA Inc.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #30
foreverdeath
Zilvia Junkie

foreverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the roughforeverdeath is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMigs View Post
Have the new "Tomei USA" 258 pooncams. Let's see what happens
Hope yours is good. I put a set of poncams in my buddy s13 SR20DET last year. The pin wasnt fully pressed into the exhaust cam tore up the end of the cam shaft, spun the cam gear and bent all the exhaust valves.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
foreverdeath is offline   Reply With Quote