Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-27-2005, 10:11 AM   #1
ranisron
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
ranisron is making a name for him/her selfranisron is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ranisron
Will it hurt? (Quick Question)

Well, my bald tires will eventually kill me in the rain on freeways (hydroplaning so easily), so I want to get that replaced asap. However, with the drop I have on Sportline + negative camber associated with that + fooked up suspension geometry, do you think new tires (The 60 series Falkens) will last a while? I plan to run the tires for about a month or so before I throw in all the goodies (RUCA, Toe control) + alignment...

I plan to drive 3000 miles next month.

Thx,

Ron
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2005, 10:45 AM   #2
240speed
Leaky Injector

240speed is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah i had bald tires for a while... i thought i was going to kill myself when i got on the highway when it rained. im running michelin 205 60 16s. you'll be alright. might rub on the plastic splash guards on turns. it's like driving a boat though
Old 05-27-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
MELLO*SOS
LAID OUT

Trader Rating: (1)
MELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfectionMELLO*SOS is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I guess if you're too worried you could buy some used tires until you get the parts needed to correctly align your suspension.
MELLO*SOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
ranisron
Zilvia Addict

ranisron is making a name for him/her selfranisron is making a name for him/her self
those falkens are pretty cheap (less than 50 a piece)... I figured I'd be alright (with alignment) after 3000-4000 miles...
Old 05-27-2005, 11:03 AM   #5
ranisron
Zilvia Addict

or... thanks for the answers...
Old 05-27-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
BFG G-Force Sport. $65 a piece from TireRack . Fix your suspension though, it's not that expensive, and is well worth the effort. Borked suspension geometry with good tires can be just as bad as good geometry on bald tires. Good luck, and remember, "Do it right the first time, or don't do it at all."
Old 05-27-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
BFG G-Force Sport. $65 a piece from TireRack . Fix your suspension though, it's not that expensive, and is well worth the effort. Borked suspension geometry with good tires can be just as bad as good geometry on bald tires. Good luck, and remember, "Do it right the first time, or don't do it at all."
I bet whoever told you about those tires must have spent a long time searching and new their stuff.
S14DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 12:39 PM   #8
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB
I bet whoever told you about those tires must have spent a long time searching and new their stuff.
Nope, but they may have known a thing or two.
Old 05-27-2005, 07:47 PM   #9
enen11
Zilvia Member

enen11 is an unknown quantity at this point
my tires got bald tires after dropping my car with coilovers. Specs were -3.9 degrees in the rear. So it ate up my wheels which had oh....65% or so when i bought them. 2 and half months it wore out to the metal. kumho's they were

I ran falken ziex for a month after, no signs of much wear at all.
enen11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:20 PM   #10
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Did you get an alignment after you did all this shit to your suspension, or are you just talking down upon Kumho?

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:06 PM   #11
ranisron
Zilvia Addict

ha...

I know the importance of alignment, but for budgeting reasons, I won't spend much of money this summer on the 240sx, I got 1 more year grad schoo left, after that I can have real money for some expensive stuffs...

I'd keep the car low key, but with sufficient power to have fun once every while. For now, have to make her safe enough in the rain.
Old 05-27-2005, 09:25 PM   #12
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
So what you're saying is that you will eat through countless tires because of your "budget reasons" instead of getting the car aligned... Even with used tires, I would ask that you think of terms of comparative cost:
How much is an alignment?
How much is a set of 4 new tires?
How much is a set of 4 used tires?
How much is 3 sets of used tires over the course of a 3-month summer?

... buy a new set, get the alignment done and your budget will be less hurt as a result

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:39 PM   #13
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
my car needs an alignment badly. i have tie rod stuff on the way. im waiting to get an alignment when i get these tie rods. my rear toe will be kind of off but when i get around to getting those parts i can have my guy adjust those with no real problem.

why did i wait till i could afford to get RUCA, coilovers, and tie rod stuff all at once? cause i realize the importance of a properly aligned car. if you take like 4 inches out of the height of the car you're relocating a ton of suspension components in relation to the body. this changes geometry so new geometry must be applied THUS the stock crap isn't as effective with resolving any alignment issues.

i have a brand new set of good tires on the car with no alignment because i DON'T DRIVE IT AT ALL RIGHT NOW. you gotta pay to play and stupid makes this hobby even more expensive.

the end
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:46 PM   #14
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

TheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to all
New tires are over rated, I always buy good quality used tires. the last time and only time I got new tires was six years ago for 400$. 55 for a side wall they sucked ass. I pumped them up to 60psi to help the roll. For 400$ I could get 8 nitto 555's in good condition. Or 10 perelli's.
TheSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:12 PM   #15
ranisron
Zilvia Addict

all I was saying is that: in order to save myself from hydroplaning, I'd put on new tires, and drive that for a month before I get paid and go buy all the other goodies and THEN get an alignment in early July. I am looking at putting down 3k miles for the month of June. I don't think 1 month of poor-alignment will kill my tires completely (I hope )

talking about alignment, I've learned my lesson with my Altima with 2 set of tires, so I am not going cheap on that.

just trying to get the cash flow right so I won't be in the Red.

I wasn't being specific in my previous posts

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLIP
So what you're saying is that you will eat through countless tires because of your "budget reasons" instead of getting the car aligned... Even with used tires, I would ask that you think of terms of comparative cost:
How much is an alignment?
How much is a set of 4 new tires?
How much is a set of 4 used tires?
How much is 3 sets of used tires over the course of a 3-month summer?

... buy a new set, get the alignment done and your budget will be less hurt as a result
Old 06-02-2005, 10:02 PM   #16
docrice
Zilvia Junkie

docrice is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to docrice
it wont hurt you unless you're running racing tires (ex. azenis or some other tire w/fairly soft compound and short treadwear time)....

But why get rid of bald tires? when they get down to the belts you can do burnouts and shoot sparks all over the place!