Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-02-2005, 11:29 AM   #31
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe

If you mean those, no he still has them. He has an interested buyer, but PM me about em I guess.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2005, 06:47 PM   #32
BaliLover
Leaky Injector

BaliLover is an unknown quantity at this point
If he went from 7" to 9" and from 8" to 10", then he only extended the wheels 2". If the original 7" wheel had a 1" lip, adding 2" would make a 3" lip, but the wheel is still only 9" wide. The same is true of the rear wheels, if they originally had a 2" lip, adding 2" would give you about a 4" lip, but still the wheel has only increased 2" in width. The offsets are not the same as original, but they are identical between the front and rear wheels, just like before.
BaliLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:03 PM   #33
llteddy4playll
Zilvia Member

llteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-knownllteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-knownllteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-knownllteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-knownllteddy4playll is making his/her stupidity well-known
Is that a s14 wing?
llteddy4playll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:41 PM   #34
boro240
Zilvia FREAK!

boro240 is making a name for him/her selfboro240 is making a name for him/her self
These are the wheels in question:

And this is my exact wording to them:
Hello, I was wondering if you made shells to fit your wheels, or other wheels too. I have a set of 15x6.5 +19 (4.5 backspace) Volk Mesh wheels, that I would like to make wider by about one inch or so (making them 15x7.5 +6). I was wondering if this was possible, and how much this would cost. Also, the shipping would be to Hawaii (96707). Attatched are pictures of said wheels. Thank you.
boro240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:02 PM   #35
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliLover
If he went from 7" to 9" and from 8" to 10", then he only extended the wheels 2". If the original 7" wheel had a 1" lip, adding 2" would make a 3" lip, but the wheel is still only 9" wide. The same is true of the rear wheels, if they originally had a 2" lip, adding 2" would give you about a 4" lip, but still the wheel has only increased 2" in width. The offsets are not the same as original, but they are identical between the front and rear wheels, just like before.
You are forgetting that offset is based off of the center of the wheel and has nothing to do with wheel width. If the offsets were 0 that would be true. You are thinking all that was done was 2 inches added to each wheel, but rather its 2 inches bigger than what the old ones were. The old ones were different sizes therefor the new ones will be different sizes.

The difference in offset I beleive just comes from measurments, trying to measure the exact amount of the wheel half you need so that the wheel is exactly 10 inches is difficult. Its also hard to measure the offset once its all done. They are prolly off by a little, but theoretically they should be the same in this situation.

Boro - They might have been just talking about making a lip that looks like yours. Take your wheel apart, measure the bolt pattern. Then measure the wheel half you are replacing, and add an inch to it. I can't see why it wont fit.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:12 PM   #36
kings_blend
Leaky Injector

kings_blend is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to kings_blend
Theres a guy selling Work Equip Mesh 18x10 +7 and 18x12 +22 for $1250 on g35driver.com someone should check those out but they asre 5 lug. Sorry I just had to post this.

Heres the link if you wanna see em.
http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55071
kings_blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:05 PM   #37
BaliLover
Leaky Injector

Unless he changed the distance between the back of the wheel and the mounting hub, the offsets will be identical between the front and rear, just like before. Yes the offsets changed, they got smaller, but they got smaller equally.

If the wheels were increased in width by 2" simply by adding a different lip, and the face and body of the rim remained original, then the backspacing wouldn't change on either wheel, it would remain the same as it was when they were 7" and 8". The only reason offset changed is because the center of the wheel is now different, but nothing changed between the rear of the rims and the hub, so they still mount just like before, no closer or further away from the strut than before. SInce they had identical offsets before, and the same modification has been performed to both wheels (increase in width by 2"), the offsets will still remain identical.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:30 PM   #38
drift into a curb
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
drift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
BaliLover, it changes it. The offset is a measurement from "cutting the barrel" in half to acquire the zero offset If you change the front half of the barrel, that will effectively change the measurement of where the zero offset is. Whether you want to say it changes the offset or not, it does in reality. It seems like you have it the other way around. Now if you had replaced the back half of the barrel, to the same as the front, then yes you can get the same offset.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:30 PM   #39
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
Balilover, look up the definitions of Offset and Backspacing, since you obviously have them confused.

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:57 PM   #40
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
LOL reading comprehension owns you guys. He didn't say offset doesn't change, he said the offset has to change the same amount if you're adding the same amount of width to the outer half of both wheels.

And yes, he's right.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:23 AM   #41
BaliLover
Leaky Injector

Yup, I'm aware the offset changed, I stated it in my first post, but what I stated was that both the front and the rear wheels have identical offsets, +12.6

I also understand the difference between backspacing and offset, and if you know one, you can find the other just by knowing the wheel width. Offset is the distance from the center of the wheel to the mounting hub on the face, and backspacing is the distance from the mounting hub on the face to the back edge of the wheel (the side by the strut). Look at the pictures posted, nothing changed between the face and the back of the rim, only the outside lip was widened so backspacing never changed. If backspacing doesn't change between the rims, and the same modification is performed on them (both front and rear extended 2" by adding wider lips) then yes the offset changed, but it doesn't vary between front and rear, just like it didn't before the mod. They WERE both +38, and now BOTH ARE +12.6. I'll prove it below.

I can do the math in the open if you'd like. For a 7" wide rim, the center of the rim is at 3.5". We'll convert this from inches to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4 (mm per inch) and we get 88.9mm. Half of a 7" wheel is 88.9mm. To find the back spacing, we add the offset of +38mm and we get 126.9mm backspacing. This figure never changes in the senario presented in this post, since the distance between the inside edge of the rim and the face/hub of the rim isn't affected by changing the outside lips.

So, for a 9" wheel, half of the wheel width is 4.5". Once again, convert to metric by multiplying by 25.4. Half the wheel width is now 114.3mm and the wheel is 228.6mm wide total. Since we don't know the offset of the modified rims, but we know that backspacing hasn't been affected, we will use the backspacing and and center width to find the offset. The math formula for this is Backspacing - Half the wheel width = offset. This means that 126.9 (backspacing found on unmodified rim above) - 114.3 (half width of wheel in MM) = 12.6, or the current offset. You can check to see if this is correct by adding the center width to the new offset, and if it equals the backspacing, your math is right. Just like mine.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:41 AM   #42
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
Technically the backspacing is larger than your numbers because backspacing is usually measured at the very edge of the rim where as a rim's width is measured at where the tire beads to it.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:06 AM   #43
tomenugen
Zilvia Member

tomenugen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tomenugen
WHO CARES. I like your friend's new rims kidynomite. i give him props. the directions you quoted from your friend are kinda vague though. i got lost after the whole unscrewing 34-36 bolts.
tomenugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:28 AM   #44
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliLover
Yup, I'm aware the offset changed, I stated it in my first post, but what I stated was that both the front and the rear wheels have identical offsets, +12.6

I also understand the difference between backspacing and offset, and if you know one, you can find the other just by knowing the wheel width. Offset is the distance from the center of the wheel to the mounting hub on the face, and backspacing is the distance from the mounting hub on the face to the back edge of the wheel (the side by the strut). Look at the pictures posted, nothing changed between the face and the back of the rim, only the outside lip was widened so backspacing never changed. If backspacing doesn't change between the rims, and the same modification is performed on them (both front and rear extended 2" by adding wider lips) then yes the offset changed, but it doesn't vary between front and rear, just like it didn't before the mod. They WERE both +38, and now BOTH ARE +12.6. I'll prove it below.

I can do the math in the open if you'd like. For a 7" wide rim, the center of the rim is at 3.5". We'll convert this from inches to millimeters by multiplying by 25.4 (mm per inch) and we get 88.9mm. Half of a 7" wheel is 88.9mm. To find the back spacing, we add the offset of +38mm and we get 126.9mm backspacing. This figure never changes in the senario presented in this post, since the distance between the inside edge of the rim and the face/hub of the rim isn't affected by changing the outside lips.

So, for a 9" wheel, half of the wheel width is 4.5". Once again, convert to metric by multiplying by 25.4. Half the wheel width is now 114.3mm and the wheel is 228.6mm wide total. Since we don't know the offset of the modified rims, but we know that backspacing hasn't been affected, we will use the backspacing and and center width to find the offset. The math formula for this is Backspacing - Half the wheel width = offset. This means that 126.9 (backspacing found on unmodified rim above) - 114.3 (half width of wheel in MM) = 12.6, or the current offset. You can check to see if this is correct by adding the center width to the new offset, and if it equals the backspacing, your math is right. Just like mine.

Ok so I didnt even read this cuz it didnt start with I am wrong.

Did you read my last post

Quote:
The difference in offset I beleive just comes from measurments, trying to measure the exact amount of the wheel half you need so that the wheel is exactly 10 inches is difficult. Its also hard to measure the offset once its all done. They are prolly off by a little, but theoretically they should be the same in this situation.
I'll say it again. Try and measure your wheels down to the mm. Then convert it into inches. They are not going to come out perfect. Therefore a few mms have been lost. If anything the wheels are like 17x10.05 and 17x9.1 (these are just numbers I am making up).

One more time - Its an error in measurements, Loss in translation, error in creation, whatever you want to call it.

tomenugen - its pretty simple when you do it. Its like taking anything else apart, learn by doing.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:05 AM   #45
Sky240PWR
Zilvia Member

Sky240PWR has made poor choicesSky240PWR has made poor choicesSky240PWR has made poor choicesSky240PWR has made poor choicesSky240PWR has made poor choicesSky240PWR has made poor choices
mine are 18x9 up front and 18x11 in the back and mine are 3 piece and 4 lug too!!

http://www.zilvia.net/f/attachment.p...achmentid=8847

Last edited by Sky240PWR; 06-06-2005 at 04:45 AM..
Sky240PWR is offline   Reply With Quote