Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-01-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
Drift Style S14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Drift Style S14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Might be leaving the 240sx community...

Hey everyone,

whats your guys views on the toyota MRS. I need a newer car and would love to get another 240sx, but most are pretty run down. I was thinking either a miata or a MRS but after doing some research I am thinking MRS. Give my your thoughts...

Thanks
Drift Style S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2005, 04:50 PM   #2
blitz180
Zilvia Member

blitz180 is making his/her stupidity well-knownblitz180 is making his/her stupidity well-knownblitz180 is making his/her stupidity well-knownblitz180 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via ICQ to blitz180 Send a message via AIM to blitz180
alot of people are not MR-S fans I don't believe, but I for one think they are nice. I think it's mainly the power output of the car that bothers people. But that can always be fixed with a Celica GT-S Motor or an older MR2 Turbo motor. Oh an be careful in the rain .... y .02
blitz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Drift Style S14
Zilvia Addict

Yeah thats what intrested me in a MRS, when I found out that they can fit a GTS motor in the car with out any major modiciation, I was like.. hmmmm.... Intresting. Other then that, Yeah snap oversteer might be a problem, but that can be fixed with seat time in the car. my budy had a 2nd gen mr2 I loved driving it it totally different from my 91 in terms of how it felt on the road.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:21 PM   #4
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
i believe the 2002+ models come with an LSD of some sort, i bet its a helical.

That, and the roughly 2200 lbs curb weight mean it can carve up some corners.

I heard the GTS engine has less potential for forced induction than the block already in there, but i dont know if thats true..but in any case the GTS' 180 n/a HP should be a beast in that light chassis
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Gjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Man, I know they are some fun cars, but just to little for my taste. I'm ~ 6'1" I need my leg room and a back seat.

LSX Kouki Project, swap completed in Dec 09
Gjohnson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
jdm538
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (30)
jdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfectionjdm538 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
they dont look all that great, but i guess the potential is there..
jdm538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #7
SxMachine
Zilvia Member

SxMachine is making a name for him/her selfSxMachine is making a name for him/her selfSxMachine is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Style S14
Hey everyone,

I need a newer car and would love to get another 240sx, but most are pretty run down.
They must really have ALOT of shitty 240's in Cali. Every newer model i find (atleast 90% of em) are pretty clean. Whats wrong with older cars by the way? How about the newer Nissan Altima/Maxima platform? As far as rwd BMW and Lexus has got some jewels. Toyota MRS in my opinion has got nothing on the slightly older MR2 by the way power and body wise.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:40 PM   #8
Drift Style S14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxMachine
They must really have ALOT of shitty 240's in Cali. Every newer model i find (atleast 90% of em) are pretty clean. Whats wrong with older cars by the way? How about the newer Nissan Altima/Maxima platform? As far as rwd BMW and Lexus has got some jewels. Toyota MRS in my opinion has got nothing on the slightly older MR2 by the way power and body wise.
No there aren't alot of shitty 240sx in california, there are actually a few nice ones. So far from what I have seen many are overpriced, and the few good ones are gone with in days.
There is nothing wrong with older cars, I liked my 91 more then I like my 95, I prefer older cars, but right now, at this point I need something that is a fun car to drive and is not going to break on me or have a list of things i need to fix.
I am not a fan of the newer altima/maxima
Not a big fan of lexus or Bmw, My sister has a 95 318i nice car, just not my style.
And as for the MRS not having anything to hold against a older mr2, well to each his own. I think they are nice.

As for them being small, I talked to a few guys on the MRS forums and they say a 6' person fits in the car with great comfort.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:47 PM   #9
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

TheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to all
You'll be back, look what happend to me. I sold my 240 4weeks ago, bought a 91 mr-2 turbo 3weeks ago, sold it a week ago, and got another 240 last week. My insurence is getting suspicious. I lost money trying to get away from 240's. The power is too strong. You may not think so now, but once you see your car leaving the driveway for the last time, thats when it hits you. Once you see the different people on their forums and the cars "bang for the buck", you will do anything to take back your mistakes.
TheSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:03 PM   #10
91CRXsiR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
91CRXsiR is making a name for him/her self91CRXsiR is making a name for him/her self91CRXsiR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 91CRXsiR Send a message via MSN to 91CRXsiR
go w/ the miata more aftermarket support and the ppl who own them are far more friendly plus they handle really well.. but test drive both and go w/ what u like
91CRXsiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:07 PM   #11
docrice
Zilvia Junkie

docrice is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to docrice
I test drove a MRS and the handling is unbelievable...they drive like a damn gokart, without a hint of body roll...the only 2 problems i saw with the car were already mentioned: lack of power and lack of aftermarket support. Otherwise a very cool car...love it or hate it styling, and i'm one that likes it.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #12
Stock-S13
BANNED

Stock-S13 can only hope to improve
Hahaha...

This post reminds me of thie girl I knew in HS, her dad was some Toyota dealer manager or somthing so they would get a cool price on there cars. Well she first got the Celica, I drove it laughed at her and got in my KAE S13 and felt great about it. Who the hell needs 6 gears when there isn't enough torque in all the others?

Later in the year she thought she wanted a more sporty car and she got the MRS, I drove it nearly ran it off the road going to this fast food place by school because the handling sucks in tight corners. It felt a little better than my Blown shocks on my S13 with 60 sidewalls, but that isn't saying much. Still, I got in my KAE S13 and felt glad I was there. I don't think there is any going back after you buy one, sure you will purchase other cars, but I'm in this about 5.75 years total (Just as you it seems) and I don't think I can rid myself of these cars.

Although with the vast majprity of these poeple aren't who I met years prior, its still an irreversable vice.
Stock-S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 10:16 PM   #13
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WILDACEX187
doesnt the mrs have good support from the aftermarket in japan?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:33 PM   #14
ranisron
Zilvia Addict

ranisron is making a name for him/her selfranisron is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to ranisron
2nd Gen MR2 turbo - very nice to drive... though I am too big for that car (6'4). The MR-S should get good support in Japan - but again, importing shit over to here is kinda expensive...

Talking about making bad decisions (sell cars). I miss my AE86 a lot... last time I heard from the owner, the engine blew (it only had 112k when I sold it) . I wont' make the same mistake with my 240sx.

Again, it's up to you - your taste, your money, and your car... Just don't make too many mistakes at once

Ron
Old 06-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #15
Drift Style S14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock-S13
Hahaha...

Later in the year she thought she wanted a more sporty car and she got the MRS, I drove it nearly ran it off the road going to this fast food place by school because the handling sucks in tight corners. It felt a little better than my Blown shocks on my S13 with 60 sidewalls, but that isn't saying much. Still, I got in my KAE S13 and felt glad I was there. I don't think there is any going back after you buy one, sure you will purchase other cars, but I'm in this about 5.75 years total (Just as you it seems) and I don't think I can rid myself of these cars.

yeah seems like your driving ablity almost owned you.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #16
Stock-S13
BANNED

HAHAHA

It should read "Limited driving abilty", I was a kid back then, not that i'm that much better now. I was a lout more ballsy (read:Stupid) back then though, I would do canyon runs on the 330 and have an entrance speed of 55 into a 25 mile yurn on 60 sidewalls and blown stocker suspension, and open dif.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:10 PM   #17
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

TheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to all
Quote:
HAHAHA

It should read "Limited driving abilty", I was a kid back then, not that i'm that much better now. I was a lout more ballsy (read:Stupid) back then though, I would do canyon runs on the 330 and have an entrance speed of 55 into a 25 mile yurn on 60 sidewalls and blown stocker suspension, and open dif.
Hence the name "Stock-S13"
Old 06-01-2005, 11:24 PM   #18
chlatboy
Zilvia FREAK!

chlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enough
BIG MISTAKE! Dont give up your car! You will regret it.

chlatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 11:36 PM   #19
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

See the Difference?

Old 06-01-2005, 11:40 PM   #20
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

thx247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gave up the 240 for a miata. Faster on the track, cheaper to run tires, brakes, and gas. Better handling.

The only problem is it costs more than a 240, and it has NO SPACE whatsoever for anything.

I was thinking about the MRS for the same reasons but didn't have the buy in cost and the miata has a million spare parts due the amount of them on the street and the spec miata racing going on. I also didn't like the idea of working on a mid engine car.

No regrets so far except when I buy too many groceries at the supermarket....then they have to go on the shelf behind my seat.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:41 PM   #21
swikked240

swikked240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to swikked240
you were thinking about replacing a 240 with a miata?

thats awful
swikked240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:23 AM   #22
Stock-S13
BANNED

Rad color Snail.

I have more parts and stuff done to it now just no time, damn Biology majors. I can never leave the Lab/classroom/school.

I lie when i say there are no i digression that allow us to leave our cars behind. I left the 240 thing for a while (Seldomly checked forums, and never went to meets nor drove, lost contact with 240 poeple) becuase i decided to get laid instead. Girls.. I changed one vice for another, i just recently got back to doing this, and sadlly its not as how I remember it. Really discouraging.

But more important, Snailwhat do you have planned for that TH1 beauty? I remember when mine looked like that, those were the days...
Old 06-02-2005, 12:35 AM   #23
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Rad color Snail.

I have more parts and stuff done to it now just no time, damn Biology majors. I can never leave the Lab/classroom/school.

I lie when i say there are no i digression that allow us to leave our cars behind. I left the 240 thing for a while (Seldomly checked forums, and never went to meets nor drove, lost contact with 240 poeple) becuase i decided to get laid instead. Girls.. I changed one vice for another, i just recently got back to doing this, and sadlly its not as how I remember it. Really discouraging.

But more important, Snailwhat do you have planned for that TH1 beauty? I remember when mine looked like that, those were the days...
I have a s15 clip with all the goodies and some Ksports coming on Moday, so thats a start. Before then (this weekend) Im switching to black interior and the selling the ka + cleaning the car for the install. The begining again. My GF is already worried. She lives out of state and fears I wont see her like the old days. She told me tonight that she wishes the 240 never existed. Well woman, I have buisness to take care of.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:02 AM   #24
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
save yourself hell and just go mr2, in comparison the MRS can't compete with the mr2. more capable power with the mr2 and the 1st-3rd gen 3sgte motors. hell even the NA 3sge motors can run great. just add in the proper suspension tuning mods and you have a car that will kick the shit out of things. and still look sexy enough to pick up chicks on stock aero. besides MRS has so much chassis flex because its a convert and never made a hardtop.

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 03:53 AM   #25
Drift Style S14
Zilvia Addict

well tomorrow I am gonna go check on a few cars, a few mrs and a few 240sx... we will see how things turn out...

I honestly think the MRS is a stronger platform then the MR2, Every review of the MRS has only said good things, other then the power, but you think about it the car is somewhere in the area of 2100lb so 140hp isn't to bad, swap in a 2zzge from a celica GTS and you have a car that has now a 180hp. the only thing that worries me about it is the snap oversteer, but that can be taken care of with a little suspention modification.

On the other hand if all pans out well and I find a 240sx with what I am looking for, the mrs just end up being another plan that never gets fullfilled.

Snail... I am soo sorry. I feel for you bro... your flat black S13 was hot, even with your SUPER HUGE INTERCOOLER OF DEATH!!
Old 06-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #26
Pacman
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
Pacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura aboutPacman has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think I saw a chick driving a yellow one when I was at work. Yeah, I saw the CHICK in it, thats right.
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:48 PM   #27
-=MCR=-

-=MCR=- is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, uh its up to u bro. if i had a choice of either miata or mrs, id go mrs and swap the engine with the celica motor, strip whatevers left and keepthe engine n/a for some badass touge runs.
-=MCR=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:03 PM   #28
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Keep the 240.. spend the money difference you would have spent on a new car to *fix* your car to new again..

IE: replace whatever dissatisfies you..
(the ability to do this is why I will always drive a 240sx)
NemeGuero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:13 PM   #29
blitz180
Zilvia Member

blitz180 is making his/her stupidity well-knownblitz180 is making his/her stupidity well-knownblitz180 is making his/her stupidity well-knownblitz180 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via ICQ to blitz180 Send a message via AIM to blitz180
personally i wouldn't trade my 240 for any other car, but i would like to own more cars in addition.. but everyone likes somethign different... i say try what you want till you find what you like, and then go for it. And every says that parts are expensive to get, but a majority of 240 owners buy expensive japan made parts and have stuff imported as well... and nissans are expensive to service with factory parts... so it's kinda the same boat...
blitz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 09:36 PM   #30
docrice
Zilvia Junkie

docrice is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to docrice
btw...watch the best motoring video with the MRS + GTS motor vs. a s14 silvia....some interesting comments by its driver, interesting video to show the potential of the platform...