Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-03-2005, 10:21 PM   #1
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Team Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Team Rootbeer
NISMO lsd

just got my nismo 2way lsd in (R200) for the open diff us spec s14, and was wondering if i needed to measure the backlash or if i should just drop it in......pls help i need to know b4 i install tommorow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodv
90% of the cars posted here are stock or with original rims painted black
I'm not an asshole but is the true..
Team Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2005, 11:32 PM   #2
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

Team Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really nice
lil help here guys, please im dying to get this thing in and this is all thats holding me back!

Quote:
Old 06-03-2005, 11:37 PM   #3
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
If you are using the same ring and pinion you should be fine. Just drop it in torque everything and break it in then change the fluid.

EDIT: Make sure the shims on each side stay on their respective side. Like take them out and put a piece of tape on them labeled "Driver Side" or "Pass. Side" or stick them in labeled zip lock bags or you can just remember.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:48 PM   #4
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

sweeeeeeeeeet,thanks man......anyone else absolutely wasted right now>? c-mon zilvians, join the party! haha beer tonite, lsd tommorow...what a great weekend...

Quote:
Old 06-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
North240
Zilvia Junkie

North240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamslideshow
sweeeeeeeeeet,thanks man......anyone else absolutely wasted right now>? c-mon zilvians, join the party! haha beer tonite, lsd tommorow...what a great weekend...
I'm jealous sounds like a good weekend to me, let us know how it goes.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:35 AM   #6
IGSDann
Zilvia Junkie

IGSDann is an unknown quantity at this point
Yyyyyeeaaaahhhh LSDs man.... On an unrelated note who likes Tuna sandwiches.... come on bitches party hard! tuna tonight and lsds tomorrooow awww sicccckkkkk

Pushing 14.7 PSI of all natural boost!!!
IGSDann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:15 PM   #7
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

haha, what a night! btw....the diff came w/ nismo 80w-90 synthetic oil...im gonna use that for break in, and i just picked up some lucas oil 80w-90 gear oil, will that suffice for when i change it after break in or should i use something different??

Quote:
Old 06-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
nooooooo!!!!

Shoulda used some castrol or pennzoil to break it in! nismos the good shit.
Even if you use the same shims, you might still be grinding. Mark off those teeth, and make sure they meet up in the middle. Once thats done, if it needs minor adjustment, tinker with how it sits, andif that doesn't work, im sure theres a adjusting kit or something. A flathead and mallet helps "adjust"
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #9
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

so ur saying use the lucas or w/e fluid for break in, and then put the nismo fluid in? also how can i tell if it grinds, will i hear it or something?

Quote:
Old 06-04-2005, 04:50 PM   #10
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
bah.. doesnt mater much.. we did my nismo during night.. just put the shims back on the way they came off (same sides) and should be set. I used the nismo fluid for break in, and then valvoline fluid after that.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:56 PM   #11
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
I wouldn't touch lucas with a 10ft pole.
S14DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:57 PM   #12
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

yeah thats what i had planned on doing..not really a "plan ahead" kinda person, but i will keep you guys posted on my weekend escapades and wish u all a happy drunken saturday night!

Quote:
Old 06-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #13
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

really? i heard good things about lucas oils-whats wrong w/ them?

Quote:
Old 06-04-2005, 07:16 PM   #14
IAM_SO_sLOw
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
IAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IAM_SO_sLOw
hey i was wondering how did u put yours into a open diff? because i have one in a vlsd right now... but i fukd up one output shaft so im going to put it into a open diff becuase i catn find any 5 bolt output shafts...or if anyone knows for sure open diff output shafts work on a vlsd pumpkin? i tried it but couldnt get it in...
IAM_SO_sLOw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #15
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
god i can't wait till i get my diff.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:06 AM   #16
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

the diff i ordered is made specifically for an open diff car, i ordered it from optionimports.com

Quote:
Old 06-05-2005, 11:09 AM   #17
IAM_SO_sLOw
Zilvia FREAK!

IAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choicesIAM_SO_sLOw has made poor choices
o do u know the difference in that? is like the internals smaller or something?
Old 06-05-2005, 11:11 AM   #18
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

im not exactly sure, but from just looking at it, cant tell much difference btwn it and the one for the vlsd car, i have them both sitting right here.....one for my freinds 95 se, the other for my 95 base model

Quote:
Old 06-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #19
S14DriftR
Zilvia Addict

S14DriftR is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to S14DriftR
put some grease or something on the ring gear and make sure its meshing inthe center, thats all i did to check mine when I re-assembled it. Just make really sure the shims stay in the same place, i actually bought mine already in a pumpkin and the jackass' that installed it had the large shim in the wrong side so i took it all apart and used a new pumpkin and everything. BTW, hope you like your nismo, I hate mine. Selling for a tomei or ats.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:21 PM   #20
IAM_SO_sLOw
Zilvia FREAK!

lol i like mines but i fukd up my output shafts so iono wtf to do... =( i think ima make a thread asking people if they know about using open diff output shafts=X
Old 06-05-2005, 02:39 PM   #21
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

?what are your complaints about the nismo?

Quote:
Old 06-05-2005, 02:57 PM   #22
kazuo
Post Whore!

kazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enoughkazuo will become famous soon enough
IIRC some of the Nismo LSDs use open diff shafts, some use VLSD shafts.. theres also like 3 different types.

ATS and Tomei/KAAZ use open diff shafts? I think the older KAAZ used to use VLSD shafts...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as the locking characteristics of the various diffs, ask someone else. :P
kazuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:46 AM   #23
S14DriftR
Zilvia Addict

I have the crap nismo, the $800 street one. The older SSS version and the new gt pro version are badass I hear, but the cheap one is weak sauce. Doesnt lock as hard or as fast as kaaz and tomei units. You can just tell its much milder than any other 2-way because its so quiet, doesnt even engage alot of times when other units would be making noise like crazy. After alot of hard track driving on both nismo and kaaz I definatly recommend the kaaz, and even with less time on both the older and newer tomei 2-ways I like them better than my Nismo as well. Dont get me wrong, the thing is waaaaaay better than gay vlsd, and is real easy to drive around town with, no clunking. Alot of people really love its mild characteristics.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:49 AM   #24
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DriftR
I have the crap nismo, the $800 street one. The older SSS version and the new gt pro version are badass I hear, but the cheap one is weak sauce. Doesnt lock as hard or as fast as kaaz and tomei units. You can just tell its much milder than any other 2-way because its so quiet, doesnt even engage alot of times when other units would be making noise like crazy. After alot of hard track driving on both nismo and kaaz I definatly recommend the kaaz, and even with less time on both the older and newer tomei 2-ways I like them better than my Nismo as well. Dont get me wrong, the thing is waaaaaay better than gay vlsd, and is real easy to drive around town with, no clunking. Alot of people really love its mild characteristics.

huh? clunking means it not engaged yet its engage dissengage engage disengage (maening fucking not locked yet).
street nismo is quiet because locked, and the inside tire is 'ch ch ch ch'
my SSS is fucking quiet (no clunking) because its nearly always on lock (goes from none to full), unlike the Kaaz/tomei, yes i know you said sss/gt pro are on another level and they are.

anyways the nismo works great, dont see how you can rag on it. its far more used by people overseas (who track the car and beat on it harder then you) and is a extremely well built and working unit.

my friend has a street nismo. a few of them do. doesnt lock up well? haha..thats jsut bullshit.

cusco is noisy as shit too. but when it DOES lock is brutal.

me and my friends hvae been tracking and dd nismo units for 3 yaers to 6 years and wouldnt do it any other way. ive driven on kaaz units, i prefer the nismo not only for noise but how it feels

BUT BUT BUT
as everything else: PERSONAL PREFERENCE
no 'sponsor' bias shit either.
and a kaaz unit is often cheaper too.
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:57 AM   #25
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
btw im not trying to star tsome 'this is better then that shit' because both are excellent units ad have their +s and 0-s
just beacuse an LSD makes a lot of noise doesnt make it better then another
the kaaz is cooler (newer version) only because of the fact it is adjustable (ramp and suchnot)
Old 06-06-2005, 01:14 AM   #26
S14DriftR
Zilvia Addict

im not just talking about the noise, alot of time my nismo doent make the ch ch ch from inside tire either, but sometimes it does, very inconsistant. I can feel it abrubtly lock mid turn at different times on corners i drive everyday.

All im saying is I prefer Kaaz better, I drove on both last weekend at oval. My coupe that you pointed out on sat has the nismo and the rmj car I was driving all day had the kaaz, yes there is a power difference between the 2 cars i drive which may cloud my judgment of the 2 but without any "sponsor bias" shit I think the shop car feels better during initiating and transitions.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:19 AM   #27
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

your comparing apples and oranges dood
power, clutch, drivetrain, etc etc totally different how the car is. im sure the suspension between the 2 differs as well.

my nismos have always CHC CHCHCHCHCHCH
tires make a difference too

you need to try both lsds on the same car w/ the same setup.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:25 AM   #28
S14DriftR
Zilvia Addict

Clutch is waaaay more harsh on the shop car, suspension on my car is actually stiffer and tighter, so yeah, there are alot of variables. But you were right when u say its personal preference, the old tomei technical trax(not advance version) was in an S14 with around the same power and overall a very similiar car to mine. Who knows, maybe ill like my 2-way better after awhile, it only has 5k on it so far.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:26 AM   #29
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG
your comparing apples and oranges dood
power, clutch, drivetrain, etc etc totally different how the car is. im sure the suspension between the 2 differs as well.
EXACTLY!!! Apples and Oranges. My Tomei engages nasty style due to my pucked clutch. I love it to death. On other people's cars, it's not so extreme.
Flybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:29 AM   #30
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

too bad the rest of your car chris is a pos
haha
we need to meet up ad get some dinner, the whole gang again.
hmmm
or just go driving hehe
i hope your car is ok now. mine is.

[jedi mind trick] you will give me your passenger brix...