Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-21-2011, 02:18 AM   #31
simmode1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Never really compared my S13 against my S14 in terms of handling, since my hatch has way more mods. All I know is, after having to replace my s14's fuel tank for the 2nd time in a year, I'm getting rid of it. The S14 is a little more annoying to work on than the S13, IMO. S13's are now my preferred chassis, at this point.
simmode1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #32
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (81)
Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
. You upgrade an S15 to handle like an S14.
Fixed.

msglength
Old 09-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #33
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to cdlong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
less squat.
I think you mean more anti-squat (comparing the s13 to s14). The s14 has a slightly better suspension layout and stiffer chassis so it should handle better. Having owned both, I prefered the s13 because it felt more lively and it felt like I was the center of rotation of the car. That seems to be lost on the s14 (though it could be the suspension tuning) but I'd bet the s14 is actually faster.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #34
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlong View Post
I think you mean more anti-squat (comparing the s13 to s14). The s14 has a slightly better suspension layout and stiffer chassis so it should handle better. Having owned both, I prefered the s13 because it felt more lively and it felt like I was the center of rotation of the car. That seems to be lost on the s14 (though it could be the suspension tuning) but I'd bet the s14 is actually faster.
This is pretty much the truth. The thing is though the s14 has what some people consider to be slightly better suspension geometry its not perfect either.

The real deal with these cars is a preferential thing. Some people think putting a S14 rear subframe in the S13 improves it. Others say putting the s14 subframe in over compensates.

Truth be told taking both cars with suspension modifications the S14 indeed drives great but imparts a different feeling to the driver. It does not scream at you to throw it around and go for it. It says ya I can do that if you want.
Whereas the s13 begs you to drive it hard.

While all the S14 owners and lovers will tell you its superior in all way shapes and forms. Truth be told it was the 180sx that was manufactured longer and sold more in Japan. There is something to be said about that.

Oh and in fact the S15 actually is closer to the s13 in driver feel than a S14.

People forget that the s14 was specifically softened (even though the chassis is stiffer) in certain aspects for the average consumer i.e. secretary, because of complaints that the s13 was too harsh.
The S13 embodies the true feel of the sports car it is trying to show.

Oh and yes the 180sx was the most popular sports car ever sold in Japan. They do consider it a sports car over there.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #35
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
agreed Dave
I like both and daily an S14
but will readily admit that S13s are a better driver's car
hatches that is, wouldn't touch a coupe with a stick
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #36
thrax
Leaky Injector

thrax is an unknown quantity at this point
That number early in the thread for s13 co-efficient of drag seems right and is also important to note was pretty good for its era.
I would only say subjectively that an s13 felt microscopically better handling than s14. But as one poster mentioned, the current condition of the cars suspension will be more of a factor than what it came with.

Just a side note, here in Canada when s14 came out they marketed the car as more of an affordable luxury coupe rather than the affordable sports car which makes me wonder if they softening the suspension slightly.
thrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #37
heiyuu
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
heiyuu is close to perfectionheiyuu is close to perfectionheiyuu is close to perfectionheiyuu is close to perfectionheiyuu is close to perfectionheiyuu is close to perfectionheiyuu is close to perfectionheiyuu is close to perfectionheiyuu is close to perfectionheiyuu is close to perfectionheiyuu is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I have a 180sx!!!

Everyone that rides or drives it always says the same thing "YOU'RE CAR IS FAST!"

And my response is always "Nope, it *FEELS* fast"
Old 09-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #38
rcdad123
Zilvia Addict

rcdad123 is an unknown quantity at this point
i have a 1989 hatch for a daily driver and i love my car. it`s almost stock except for stock replacement Tokico springs and struts, stickier 17 inch Falken rt615 tires and a homemade exhaust. i worked on a few s14s with the same or more mods than my s13 and in my opinion, the s13 for a race car(if i do build one), and s14 for a daily driver.(i would love to have a 97-98 s14 for my DD). the s14 interior IMO feels like your driving a current car. everything inside feels like a new car. as for actually driving the car, i feel the s13 responds way quicker than an s14. i guess they built the s14 to accommodate a wider range of customers(ie, older people, moms, secretaries, lol.) s14, IMO, does not respond to steering inputs as fast as an s13.
rcdad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #39
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Haven't heard that one before...
Old 09-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #40
cdlong
Nissanaholic!

cdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant futurecdlong has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to cdlong
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
They do consider it a sports car over there.
I wouldn't doubt it, it had 30% more power than our version did...and they didn't have Corvettes.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #41
Perfect Balance
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Perfect Balance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it is, but I've noticed nobody really makes a successful (on a professional level) S13 time attack car, they always go for the S14s. I think it might have something to do with the rear suspension geometry, which iirc, was slightly improved.

Now, I would say the S13 is more of a driver's car, it's definitely more "raw" feeling in a sense, but as far as outright speed potential, I'd probably say S14.

I remember going to a track day about a year ago and there was an S13 running on 285 slicks and a turbo ka24, big carbon wing on the back, driving the piss out the car, you could see the car slightly sliding through the corners, and right behind it was a spec Miata that the S13 couldn't shake.

To give you an idea of how that works, you need to keep in mind that a Spec Miata is essentially a stock Miata that weighs more and has slicks. A mildy tuned Miata with a few bolts ons, a roll bar, slicks and a properly dialed in suspension is faster than a Spec Miata.

On the other hand, there's S14s like the one Scorch puts out that do really well, and you just don't see that as often with S13s.
Perfect Balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #42
chinabean
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
chinabean is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
subscribed son'!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #43
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2slide View Post
Fixed.

msglength
I think the S15 was designed with better handling in mind...you should upgrade your damn rear subframe to an S15 one so itll be less twitchy. Help keep you from making out with the wall again...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote