Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-19-2002, 01:53 PM   #1
/etc/shadow
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
/etc/shadow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jetta owners have it out for us?

My friend with a modded s14 called me a few weeks ago telling me that he had Jetta owners trying to race him left and right. He was freaking out that there was some kind of conspiracy going on, like the Jetta owners had targeted 240sx's for some reason. I thought he was just trying to creatively capsule another kill story, but now I've witnessed this phenomenon.

Today I was going over a hill on Preston in fifth, creeping at half throttle from 60 to 90. This guy was in the right lane and he zoomed (well he tried anyway) in front of me and turned on his emergency lights. He did this crap a few more times... I wasn't going to race over a blind hill. Anyway, I decided that if it looked clear and we both lined up at the stop light, I might as well peel some tire for a few seconds to illustrate the 240sx's torquey RWD configuration. Bastard turned right and went into a school zone, where I *certainly* wasn't going to follow, let alone race.

I'm told the death laughter I expressed when I found out they have all of 115 hp at the crank that is then forced through the front wheels, and that the turbo still had less power than the ka24de, could be heard from miles away.
/etc/shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2002, 02:24 PM   #2
Foxcolt
Zilvia FREAK!

Foxcolt is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Foxcolt
I fookin hate crapwagons. I didn't even read your dumb crapwagon post. Delete it.."go home pizza boy"
Old 12-19-2002, 04:00 PM   #3
uuninja
Zilvia Addict

uuninja is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to uuninja Send a message via Yahoo to uuninja
HAHA tell us how you really feel Jed. I don't think I have ever really heard the story of why you have Vdubs.

Oh and which Jettas are you talking about? The new VR6 is rated at 200 to the crank and the 1.8t made 145 at the wheels in 99 when it was rated at 150 HP.

Now that I think about it the first car that ever tried to race me when I bought my s14 was a kitted up jetta with a huge wing. Conspiracy? I think maybe
  • 97 KA24DE+T SOLD
uuninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 04:05 PM   #4
ridebmx
Zilvia Junkie

ridebmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to ridebmx Send a message via AIM to ridebmx Send a message via Yahoo to ridebmx
ill race you in a volkswagon vanagon...id woop your ass...haha...man what were they thinking...

waiting for the sunken look to be cool..lol
ridebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 06:52 PM   #5
Hubie
Leaky Injector

Hubie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Hubie
Umm...I know this is a Nissan board but what's with all the VW bashing. You can't group all the VW drivers in one category b/c I've had two MK2 Jettas(85-92) and they were so much fun. I flipped one and the other was stolen. Anyway, I raced my friends 96 240sx with N1 dual and injen intake in my 1989 Jetta GLi 16v with header and exhaust and hours and hours of tuning and was able to get him by about a car(sometimes a little less or more) every time. And yes we raced both from a roll and drag.

Now after that Jetta was stolen and crashed by the Jackass I went out and bought a 93 240sx b/c they were more fun to drive. That got rear ended, so now I have a 96. All this happened in one year.
Hubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 07:39 PM   #6
tnord
Nissanaholic!

tnord is an unknown quantity at this point
gee........what seems to be the constant in your equation full of variables there Hubie?
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 08:18 PM   #7
Hubie
Leaky Injector

Hahah....I narrowed it down to all three being red cars and having the same speaker box that was given to me by a friend that bought it from a pawn shop.

I now refuse to own a red car.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:30 PM   #8
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
Quote:
Originally posted by tnord
gee........what seems to be the constant in your equation full of variables there Hubie?
I think it's the person that owns it....
kandyflip445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 09:16 PM   #9
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
we're all after you

Enjoy the view
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 09:57 PM   #10
turbo240sx
Zilvia Member

turbo240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
thats the view we get when we arent trying.

90 Talon TSI

WARNING.THIS CAR IS EQUIPPED WITH A TURBOCHARGER. DUE TO POSSIBLE BREATHING PROBLEMS UNDER HEAVY ACCELERATION, ALL FEMALES ARE ADVISED TO REMOVE ANY TIGHT FITTING OR RESTRICTIVE CLOTHING FOR SAFETY.
turbo240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 10:38 PM   #11
oberkill
Zilvia Junkie

oberkill is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the pic!!!! Ive never seen that view before.

LOL they are OK cars pretty quick but they cant hang with a KAT or SR unless they are seriously modified..... Friend of mine in Japan had one and it was a fun little car to play with but hardly fast. I think it would give a stock 240 a decent run though, may not win but it would be close.

Alan
Old 12-19-2002, 11:04 PM   #12
tnord
Nissanaholic!

tnord is an unknown quantity at this point
a VR6 gti like that would whup up on a stock 240.
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 11:48 PM   #13
turbo240sx
Zilvia Member

turbo240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
im only playin, they are quick but i think a 2000 vr6 should be able to beat a early 90's 2.4. if the 240 is stock

90 Talon TSI

WARNING.THIS CAR IS EQUIPPED WITH A TURBOCHARGER. DUE TO POSSIBLE BREATHING PROBLEMS UNDER HEAVY ACCELERATION, ALL FEMALES ARE ADVISED TO REMOVE ANY TIGHT FITTING OR RESTRICTIVE CLOTHING FOR SAFETY.
turbo240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 12:04 AM   #14
AKADriver
Post Whore!

AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by oberkill
I think it would give a stock 240 a decent run though, may not win but it would be close.
Owning both - it ain't close. The VR6 puts the 240SX to bed in a straight line.

That said, I still prefer to drive my 240SX.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:18 AM   #15
chokudoriS13
Zilvia FREAK!

chokudoriS13 is making a name for him/her selfchokudoriS13 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to chokudoriS13
My GTI feels as fast (if not a bit faster than) my KA-E S13. And that's with the 115hp 2.0. Imagine how a VR6 with almost 60 more hp will destroy a stock KA'd 240SX. Now, an SR or KA-T would pose a problem.

My GTI

My S13

It's hiding in that pic...a little shy
Old 12-20-2002, 08:10 AM   #16
Foxcolt
Zilvia FREAK!

Foxcolt is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Foxcolt
Aish, I've gotten beat by a few crapwagons, they can be quick...

However I'll explain a little why I hate them with an utter passion.

Crapwagons are put together wrong. Simply put. They have veird engine configurations that simply don't work. W8? HA! Changing spark plugs on a crapwagon was harder than installing my fookin motor due to the el cheapo plastic spark plug remover.

They don't have lugnuts which makes changing a wheel a huge pain in the ass.

They have one belt for EVERYTHING. so when that belt goes your screwed and it's next to impossible to change on your own.

The trunk relese is in the center console and is impossible to find if you don't know where it is.

The radio is a PITA to change.

The gauge cluster is also a PITA to take apart.

All the controls for that thing are in vierd places.

People with crapwagons always think their cool

And the Number 1 reason why I hate crapwagons - My ex had one I don't like my ex
Old 12-20-2002, 08:51 AM   #17
uuninja
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
And the Number 1 reason why I hate crapwagons - My ex had one I don't like my ex
LOL I'll drink to that!
  • 97 KA24DE+T SOLD
Old 12-20-2002, 09:32 AM   #18
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxcolt
Crapwagons are put together wrong. Simply put. They have veird engine configurations that simply don't work. W8? HA! Changing spark plugs on a crapwagon was harder than installing my fookin motor due to the el cheapo plastic spark plug remover.
Don't be a cheapass! Buy the metal one!

Makes the whole job a lot easier.

You want to talk about annoying, talk about the special tool that's almost necessary to change rear brake pads and costs $60. Or the weird slotted socket for disassembling the struts.

The VR6 works great though - V6 displacement + inline six smoothness + 4 cylinder compactness. My only gripe is the noisy timing chain mechanism and valvetrain, but that should be nothing unfamiliar to 240SX owners...

The controls are one of my favorite features, too. It's the only car I've ever owned where I can easily operate every last control with gloves on. The trunk/hatch release is inside the (lockable) console as a security feature.

Quote:
It's OK, I've had bad luck with dub girls too
Old 12-20-2002, 10:05 AM   #19
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
funkadub

Yeah - its all fun and games until the electrical fires

I really like Vdubs, but the build quality is a bit suspect. I've got a buddy w/ an old Jetta GLi that would be sweet if it weren't such a POS! ...but I don't like the chances of the old MkII 16v 2.0 NA 4 cyl. running a 240.

Ryan - I want to see the FRONT of your car... I still don't get that conversion.

Mark - who's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cars were VWs...
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 10:53 AM   #20
Hubie
Leaky Injector

HippoSleek, I agree with you on the build quality of VW's, well the old ones at least. Every since I picked up my 240 I've found myself sitting in front of the computer/bored a whole lot more. With my Jetta, there is always something that I could improve or fix for free or cheap. Actually, that's kinda how I became self sufficient with fixing things/cars. When you're 16(i'm 21 now) and have no money you kinda have to learn how to fix things yourself. I'm now the "family mechanic".
Old 12-20-2002, 11:01 AM   #21
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Re: funkadub

Quote:
Originally posted by HippoSleek
Ryan - I want to see the FRONT of your car... I still don't get that conversion.
Here it is now:

When it was stock it looked like this hyah:
Old 12-20-2002, 11:34 AM   #22
midnights14
Zilvia Junkie

midnights14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to midnights14
Actually, those new gen 1.8T Jettas are pretty quick, aren't they?
Old 12-20-2002, 11:39 AM   #23
adey
Post Whore!

adey is an unknown quantity at this point
1.8T

I have a 1.8T MkIV GTi... haha there are two areas where the GTi beats out the 240: Comfort/amenities/layout/interior and POWER. That thing pulls like no KA24DE could ever pull! it's not the 190 crank hp so much as the 240 crank tq.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:41 AM   #24
/etc/shadow
Zilvia Member

/etc/shadow is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/vol...tml?id=lin0066

What did I do wrong? That claims it's 150/155.
/etc/shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 11:56 AM   #25
adey
Post Whore!

Oh right, sorry, I forgot to mention I'm "chipped". GIAC.
http://www.giacusa.com/
also see http://www.goapr.com/ for the APR chip. APR/GIAC are the two most popular.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:59 AM   #26
AKADriver
Post Whore!

See above; factory ratings don't always translate to reality. The 150hp GTI/Jetta 1.8t's regularly put down 140hp to the wheels.

For 2002 the GTI/Jetta 1.8t was bumped to 180hp via a change in computer programming (a smidgen more boost). These engines usually do around 160hp at the wheels.

Keep in mind that these are lower-spec versions of the engine with TINY turbochargers. They were designed to replace naturally aspirated, larger engines. The block, head, etc. are the same as the 225hp 1.8t in the Audi TT, though, and they can take plenty of boost with a different turbo.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:15 PM   #27
ridebmx
Zilvia Junkie

ridebmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to ridebmx Send a message via AIM to ridebmx Send a message via Yahoo to ridebmx
nobody has a 80's vanagon that they drive around in tho, so disappointing...haha...thats what i should have used for winter...those things are so sweet

waiting for the sunken look to be cool..lol
ridebmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 01:58 PM   #28
HippoSleek
Nissanaholic!

HippoSleek is an unknown quantity at this point
funkadub II

Wow - it does look better w/ the Jetta front. Although if I had a Mk IV, I think I'd do it the other way around.
HippoSleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 02:06 PM   #29
uuninja
Zilvia Addict

Re: 1.8T

Quote:
Originally posted by adey
I have a 1.8T MkIV GTi... haha there are two areas where the GTi beats out the 240: Comfort/amenities/layout/interior and POWER. That thing pulls like no KA24DE could ever pull! it's not the 190 crank hp so much as the 240 crank tq.

I would beg to differ, my ka24de pulls like no 1.8t I have seen (have driven 3).

All the ka24de needs is a t3/t4.

I know I know stock vs stock, but you said any ka24de.
  • 97 KA24DE+T SOLD
Old 12-20-2002, 04:07 PM   #30
adey
Post Whore!

Re: Re: 1.8T

Quote:
Originally posted by uuninja
All the ka24de needs is a t3/t4.

I know I know stock vs stock, but you said any ka24de. [/B]
... yes... of course...
There was once a famous 1.8T GTi with a big turbo and stock bottom end that was driving around eating up BPU Supras... That car has, I believe, since been turned into a track-only vehicle, but still. That thought of a GTi beating supras? ... nuts. (I have videos to prove it! let me dig 'em up first... I'll post a few in a bit)

To the inquiring minds, I don't know what turbo this guy was running, but it was (I guess) good enough to take on most BPU Supras (except this one with a T88... but that's not exactly "bpu" anymore.)

edit: right click and "save target as"
http://www.bridgejumpers.org/vw/BPUvsVW.mpg
http://www.bridgejumpers.org/vw/t88supravsvw.mpg

Last edited by adey; 12-20-2002 at 04:11 PM..
adey is offline   Reply With Quote