Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-09-2003, 06:18 AM   #1
///M3_SPb

Trader Rating: (0)
///M3_SPb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Optimum shift points

I am getting a redtop sr soon, and i will drive it stock for a while, i would like to calculate the optimum shift points, but i am not exactly sure of all the factors of equaiton. I have also heard the opinion that for the best acceleration, you have to shift so that your next gear will be in your torque peak. Can anyone state the equation I would have to use. Thank you
///M3_SPb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2003, 07:41 AM   #2
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

nrcooled is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to nrcooled
The best way to find your shift points will be to dyno your setup. Find your peak numbers and optimum RPM points. On my setup I stop making power at 7000 RPM so I try to shift at that point and it drops me in the sweet spot for the next gear.

On a bone stock SR (which I had) I stoped making power at 6200 RPM so it was silly to take it higher then that. I less restictive exhaust and higher PSI will allow you to make a little more power higher up.

cliffs notes:
1. Dyno YOUR setup and get numbers
2. Shift where YOUR SR stops making power
-Every SR is different and each persons powerband is slightly diffent from mods
Old 10-09-2003, 01:34 PM   #3
///M3_SPb

///M3_SPb is an unknown quantity at this point
but i have heard that for example to get to 4200 in different gears you have to shift at diffent points in previous gears.

So for example to get to 4200 in 2nd you have to shift at 6500 at 1st, to get 4200 in 3rd you have to shift at 6000 at 2nd and so on and that depends on your gear ratios.
///M3_SPb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 08:14 PM   #4
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

As for gear ratios I have no clue. I have never sat down to crunch the numbers. Sorry I can't be more help. I would just find your optimum shift points for your engine then get calculations to find them.

In my car, as long as I shift after 6500 it will drop me back into boost.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:21 PM   #5
240Dave
Zilvia Member

240Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Hrm, I really don't know whether this is true or not, but...

In turboed cars with a boost guage, use it to determine shift points rather than tach...unless ofcourse you redline and are still building boost, in which case you need to rev higher

Sound right?
240Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 08:24 PM   #6
nrcooled
Nissanaholic!

With the t2small I make full boost (14lbs) at 5000RPM but my dyno had me making power all the way to 7 grand

Take it for what it is...but it still is possible to be at full boost and still be making power after you make your target PSI
Old 10-09-2003, 10:39 PM   #7
Red
Zilvia Addict

Red is an unknown quantity at this point
I always thought the rule was... Shift at redline... Use every gear all the way... Dont do un needed shifting becus it slows you down more then you know.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 11:23 PM   #8
ca18guy
Premium Member

ca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfectionca18guy is close to perfection
To find the optimum shift points you need a graph of your torque/HP curve and the gear ratio's of your tranny. You need the gear ratio's so you know which RPM the engine will drop to when you shift. Pretty much you need to shift when your at a point where the next gears RPM will have more torque/HP then the last gear. Best way would be find how many RPM's it will drop after each shift and graph that window over the most meaty part of your dyno (the part with the most HP/TQ in the 'window')in each gear (all this probably makes no sense so I'll try to google some links)

Anyway I think its all useless, I would prefer to shift by feel because lets face it we can't be staring at the tachometer the whole time. I'd goto a drag strip and finding which shift combo works best :P

Heres the best link I found--> http://www.datsuns.com/Tech/whentoshift.htm
ca18guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:57 PM   #9
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gracphing your car really helps to find the right shift points but...

For example on my 2000 eclipse GT I stopped making power at about 5500rpms. However when I ran my best times I always shifted at redline, 6200rpms. It made at least a .2 sec diffence in my 1/4 mile times. So I really think it depends on more things. Practice, trial and error, and track time is the best way to find out, IMHO.
exitspeed is offline   Reply With Quote