Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-25-2016, 12:33 AM   #31
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomike View Post
i just watched your video about the quality issues, what the fuck were you honestly expecting?
Well, for starters, when he requested and paid for them to repair his wing, and they confirmed it as being fixed, I think he expected, at the very least, for the wing to be fixed. But maybe that just makes too much sense...

Did you actually watch the videos? Shit masking job? There were parts where white was visible, there were parts where paint shouldn't have been(ie the hood vents), and there were giant ass runs in the paint. Shitty plasti dip or not, if you're a professional or even mediocre paint business, you should avoid those issues at the very least. If it happens, because mistakes do happen, it shouldn't be a problem for them to sand it back smooth and respray that section before laying the clear down.

You guys are a bunch of fucking assholes. OP came here to warn others. He didn't have to do that, but he did it to help. Don't like plastidip? Get the fuck over it. It isn't your car or your money. Even with the shit dip job that car looks significantly better than most or your heaps of dog shit you call a car.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:16 AM   #32
lunchmeat
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
lunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond reputelunchmeat has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't get the plastdip thing, but to me that's irrelevant. All I see is a "pro" shop that gave piss poor service.
lunchmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:39 AM   #33
BoostyMcZface
Zilvia Member

BoostyMcZface is an unknown quantity at this point
ughhhh plastidip. this is why I feel doing it right the first time pays off in the end. sad to see, but WHY pay a shop to dip your whole car? it had to have been a few grand, which is around the same price as a wrap. like others said, if you expect a body shop perfect job that looks like paint, you're gonna be disappointed. this is ricey crap. not meant to look flawless. might as well paint it however you wanted in the first place, now that you'll need it.

sure the shop is partly responsible, but you also should have done your research or gone with a higher quality route instead of the cheapest.
BoostyMcZface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #34
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffman5982 View Post
Well, for starters, when he requested and paid for them to repair his wing, and they confirmed it as being fixed, I think he expected, at the very least, for the wing to be fixed. But maybe that just makes too much sense...

Did you actually watch the videos? Shit masking job? There were parts where white was visible, there were parts where paint shouldn't have been(ie the hood vents), and there were giant ass runs in the paint. Shitty plasti dip or not, if you're a professional or even mediocre paint business, you should avoid those issues at the very least. If it happens, because mistakes do happen, it shouldn't be a problem for them to sand it back smooth and respray that section before laying the clear down.

You guys are a bunch of fucking assholes. OP came here to warn others. He didn't have to do that, but he did it to help. Don't like plastidip? Get the fuck over it. It isn't your car or your money. Even with the shit dip job that car looks significantly better than most or your heaps of dog shit you call a car.
Plasti dip doesn't work like that
Old 06-25-2016, 08:19 AM   #35
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
Sorry but shit painting product like PlastiCrap is going to promote shitty prep work. Unless you are paying around the same amount as a real paint job, why would these shops waste their time? Go to a real paint shop and ask them to PlastiDip your entire car they will laugh at you and tell you to get the fuck out.

I guess it really boils down to how much was paid for this service. I mean, it has the appearance of a $400 Maaco job.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #36
wkpainter

wkpainter is an unknown quantity at this point
We aren't assholes for not appreciating his "warning". None of us are dumb enough to want plastidip on our cars. There is a reason this forum doesn't have a "plastidip" thread... It has a "doing it wrong" thread already.

I'm not sorry or put off that zilvia doesn't sugar coat anything. We are trying to be as straight forward as possible so it gets through peoples F'ing heads. When you STOP READ CONSIDER what we are saying, you will REALIZE we are actually helping. We aren't going to waste time dancing around the fact that stupid decisions are stupid.
wkpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:07 AM   #37
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post
Sorry but shit painting product like PlastiCrap is going to promote shitty prep work. Unless you are paying around the same amount as a real paint job, why would these shops waste their time? Go to a real paint shop and ask them to PlastiDip your entire car they will laugh at you and tell you to get the fuck out.

I guess it really boils down to how much was paid for this service. I mean, it has the appearance of a $400 Maaco job.
Again, he paid to have his wing repaired and they didn't even try to repair it. And ok, I can agree with the shit prep work. But did you see those runs? I'm terrible at body work but even my shit doesn't have runs like that, no matter how much I'm rushing the job. Someone who's job it is to paint cars, plasti dip or actual paint, should be capable of not having runs like that.

Wkpainter, I never asked anyone to sugar coat anythinf, maybe you should learn to read. I simply said to get the fuck over this guy choosing to use plasti dip. Look at his car. Think about the fact that he spent probably upwards of $3k on this. He didn't do it because he'said broke. He had his reasons. I've seen plenty of people choose this route because they want to do a different color/theme every year and this is more cost effective, and easier when the time to change comes, than an actual paint job. Regardless of how you feel about plasti dip, and please pay attention to the word regardless because it means your opinion is fucking irrelevant, a shop presenting themselves as professionals giving him the car back in the condition they did is unacceptable. Period.

Last edited by Hoffman5982; 06-25-2016 at 03:56 PM..
Hoffman5982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:41 PM   #38
Dman II-40
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (6)
Dman II-40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Funny that most 240sx owners here are against plasti dip. I can't justify paying $3000 minimum for a paint job on a car worth $5000 max. On a 370z, that's a different story. To each their own. I will be dipping my car eventually, only $300 for the full kit and I can change it every year for about $100 if I want to. Will it be perfect? No, but I'm not trying to win awards just cover my oxidized and flaking crap clear coat that Nissan used in the mid 90s.
Dman II-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #39
Dman II-40
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Regardless of how you feel about plasti dip, and please pay attention to the word regardless because it means your opinion is fucking irrelevant, a shop presenting themselves as professionals giving him the car back in the condition they did is unacceptable. Period.
Agreed, it's not about the dip, it's that they did a shit job. If he paid for a paint job and it came out like shit everyone would just be like, "Dang, that sucks. Thanks for letting us know that place sucks."
Old 06-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #40
theStig880
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
theStig880 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman II-40 View Post
Funny that most 240sx owners here are against plasti dip. I can't justify paying $3000 minimum for a paint job on a car worth $5000 max. On a 370z, that's a different story. To each their own. I will be dipping my car eventually, only $300 for the full kit and I can change it every year for about $100 if I want to. Will it be perfect? No, but I'm not trying to win awards just cover my oxidized and flaking crap clear coat that Nissan used in the mid 90s.
I hate the argument "I wont do nice things to my car, because my car is worth $xxxx KBB". Why even bother doing anything to it? Isnt the point to make the car nicer than you started? You add value to it by doing quality changes. To me it just seems like something people say when they realize that modifying cars is an expensive fucking hobby that they can't do right but they can fuck up a car for cheap and get the same insta likes.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #41
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #42
Dman II-40
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by theStig880 View Post
I hate the argument "I wont do nice things to my car, because my car is worth $xxxx KBB". Why even bother doing anything to it? Isnt the point to make the car nicer than you started? You add value to it by doing quality changes. To me it just seems like something people say when they realize that modifying cars is an expensive fucking hobby that they can't do right but they can fuck up a car for cheap and get the same insta likes.
I upgrade my car when a part needs to be replaced so I try to not spend a lot of money on it.....so that's just me maybe. The cool thing about modding cars is you can do it the way you want to. Just because something isn't of popular opinion who cares. They aren't spending your money to do it and it's their car.... If they don't do something the way you like it that doesn't make it wrong, it's just your opinion.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #43
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

KAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really niceKAT-PWR is just really nice
Atleast you know your car will look shitty 100% of the time, so you won't need to worry.

But if your sole purpose is only driving the car, nothing more, more power to ya.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:52 PM   #44
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT-PWR View Post
Atleast you know your car will look shitty 100% of the time, so you won't need to worry.

But if your sole purpose is only driving the car, nothing more, more power to ya.
That's exactly the same thing I am hearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #45
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Dips and wraps look like shit almost always lol. Also, its easy to paint in a garage if you know what you're doing. Only a non experienced person wouldn't be able to paint in a garage in a smart manner. Is it easier in a booth, well fuck yea. Common sense. But any painter can paint in a garage easy. My uncle has been a bodyman/painter for 30+ years. Have done many many many side jobs in the garage. Were not talking about joe blow repairs either, full custom paint. Kandy, pearls etc. It's not rocket science and quite simple. Just be smart about it.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #46
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Quote:
I upgrade my car when a part needs to be replaced so I try to not spend a lot of money on it.....so that's just me maybe. The cool thing about modding cars is you can do it the way you want to. Just because something isn't of popular opinion who cares. They aren't spending your money to do it and it's their car.... If they don't do something the way you like it that doesn't make it wrong, it's just your opinion.
It's not an opinion when it's the truth. There is a right and a wrong way. Baseline is what OEMs provide. Even when their bottom line is being pushed by the bean counters, they won't touch Plasti Dip or the like. Let that sink in. So you can either do it right or use excuses to make it feel better when you do it wrong.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:41 AM   #47
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

You fucking idiots are missing the entire point here. His car did not turn out the way it did because of plasti dip. Try to comprehend that extremely simple concept. If the person who paint this car used actual paint, it still would have turned out like shit. Let THAT sink in. The most expensive paint in the world would have still resulted in OP's car looking as bad as it does because the work was rushed and half assed and the person doing the work possesses little to no skill. In fact, if "real paint" HAD been used, fixing this shotty work would have been tremendously more difficult.

You guys are so pathetically closed minded to see past your "I don't like plasti dip so I'm gonna cry about it" mentality.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:21 AM   #48
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
You fucking idiots are missing the entire point here. His car did not turn out the way it did because of plasti dip. Try to comprehend that extremely simple concept. If the person who paint this car used actual paint, it still would have turned out like shit. Let THAT sink in. The most expensive paint in the world would have still resulted in OP's car looking as bad as it does because the work was rushed and half assed and the person doing the work possesses little to no skill. In fact, if "real paint" HAD been used, fixing this shotty work would have been tremendously more difficult.

You guys are so pathetically closed minded to see past your "I don't like plasti dip so I'm gonna cry about it" mentality.
Plastidip sucks.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:32 AM   #49
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
It looks good enough for Instagram screen resolution in the photo of it, which I would imagine is typically plenty nice for most of the kids out there plastidipping their cars these days.

OP, sorry to see this happened. Best of luck with restoring the car.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #50
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I like that front bumper on the Z.

Hoffman right though. Y'all dumb.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #51
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Quote:

Until we hear both sides to the story, all one can honestly do is chastise the decision to 'Dip Yo Ride Bruh'. One thing I have learned reading/researching horror stories is that there is always two sides to the story and you have to take a little from both to form a conclusion. I agree I would not personally allow my business to deliver a finished car like this, BUT I also would not take on a project where the owner wanted to bargain. I have seen shops put out uncommonly bad work, owner was displeased and after full disclosure the vehicle owner had agreed to low labor hours, agreed to or provided inferior products for shop to use and a 'not to exceed number at all cost'. Some shops are willing to do this to turn a quick small profit to pay the electric bill where as others will not because ultimately their name is attached to it.
So until a representative of the business in question enlightens us to their side of the story, this is really a moot point.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:16 AM   #52
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Yes it turned out shitty because it was plasti-dip not paint.. quit trying to defend plasti-dip it sucks and the only place it belongs is on bro dozers
JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:29 AM   #53
STR8 H8N
BANNED

STR8 H8N is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8 H8N View Post
back in my day son we had money to paint our cars
STR8 H8N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:52 AM   #54
///Maestro

///Maestro is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboshoebox View Post
What the hell ever happened to painting ur car with um...paint
Well...my thought behind the dip was to paint the entire car for the same price as it would cost to paint just the new panels. And I've done a lot of research on it and it seemed like a great alternative to wrap and paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
this x100000...
It was a mistake and I'll admit it....But I certainly didn't deserve to receive my car back the way I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
You could always take them to small claims court, if you have documented the condition of the car before you gave it to them.

Quote:
Take em to court.
Learn your lesson about cheaping out.
Goodluck

Already taking this guy to court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
It's a hard lesson to learn with these wrap/dip products. But they aren't paint, and when they wear out don't expect them to come off without damage. Your car will look nice with a good paint job thankfully.
They aren't supposed to come off without any damage? The whole point of Dip/autoflex is to remove it just like wrap. This guy didn't spray thick enough so he went real close with the power washer to take the dip off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearlessj View Post
I don't understand the hate for this guy choosing to go with something else besides paint. The technology is there but the service was shit. If it wasn't for the imperfections it would look fine. I wouldn't do it if it was me but I can understand why someone would.
Correct, if it was done correctly, it would have came out amazing. Unfortunately, I got unlucky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM216S14 View Post
No it never looks good imperfections or not. Its a total fuckboi trend.
Nice

Quote:
The texture and finish of plasti dip never compares to a properly painted piece. In the off season I'll plasti dip wheels for people and I've done quite a lot. Even my best jobs do not compare to even my mediocre paint jobs.
Why do you think plasti dip is trying to be more and more like paint?
There is a reason they're trying to spray a product more like real clear coat over the plasti dip surface.... And use an HVLP gun now.

Reasons to plasti dip
1. Doing accents because you're not sure if you will like the look and don't want to pony up the cash, after a short period you should know if you like the look, remove the dip, and commit to paint.
2. Lease car you know you're not going to keep but want to add some "flair" to it that you can remove before returning the car.

I'd take wrap over dip, at least wrap is a uniform surface and imperfections are easy to notice upon getting your car back.
You'd be surprised with the outcome of some of these autoflexed cars. The cars I saw in person are what sold me on the idea. Looks exactly like paint and one would never be able to tell the difference. Unfortunately these guys seemed like they were legitimate and apparently they weren't. With that said, they painted my buddy's 2015 mustang and it came out pretty good, a lot better than my car. I have no doubt in my mind that two different people sprayed our cars. The one who did mine was obviously a complete rookie.

Quote:
about the color change, you can never be sure what spraying chemicals on paint and leaving them there will do. who knows what the hell is in this shit they sprayed on this car and ruined the finish.
There was no disclaimer or any notification of this. A company offering this service should know what may/maynot happen with the product/services they offer. If I had known this was going to happen, I wouldn't think twice about not going there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corby_baby View Post
to be fair...there are some legitimate business out there dipping cars with proper tools and skills.

i.e. pearls and pigments in Houston, TX.

+1 There are some amazing cars that are autoflexed, as I've said earlier. This company did a few GTR's and in pictures, they did great. Unfortunately AFTER my whole fiasco, I found out that the GTR's came out like shiit just like my car did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgs_7 View Post
Yikes. My suggestion:

-Take out 1500$ of bank account

-Buy gun, equipment, materials, sealer, base and clear

-Paint your own car in garage

-Wet sand for days

Now you're 10000000x better off.
no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
What the fuck is wrong with you guys. Fuckin rednecks. You dont paint a car in a garage, you take it to a body shop. You know, spray booth, employees, filtration systems, etc. You idiots are making suggestions that will continue to make his car worse and worse

Do yourself a favor, consider making life easier on yourself. You already made a bad decision by having this shit-show of a shop spray dip onto your car. Fortunately, that stuff shouldnt be too bad to remove. However, you can make life even easier by getting rid of that silly ass wing and those cheap aftermarket bumper/fenders/hood.

Your lucky that your car is new and parts are readily available. Order a new OEM bumper, fenders, hood, and just ditch all that garbage you've acquired - its not worth a damn anyway, cheapass fiberglass shit. Now you have fresh new body panels that you can repaint. If you want OEM pearl, fine, but at this point you can probably save a few bucks going with a solid white. You dont want to extreme of a color change - you want to stay within the same range of paint as what the car was originally painted. This way, rock chips and other defects wont be so noticeable.

Do yourself a favor and use this as a learning experience of what NOT to do: avoid shitty dip products, avoid shitty shops, and avoid installing cheap ass aftermarket aero. This may come off as harsh but trust me, you need to move past this fast and furious bullshit.
1. The only after market stuff I have is the hood, wing, and fenders which are very expensive and fitment is spot on. Wing is life doe and that isn't coming off. Everything else is OEM or OEM Nismo...
2. As I've stated earlier, I've seen autoflex come out better than some paint jobs.
3. IF I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN, I WOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT
4. Cheap ass aftermarket aero? This isn't a 240 my friend, this aero is expensive.
5. The point of this post is to warn any other people looking into this product/company. I will bet at LEAST 50% of people that saw this post have considered this product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgs_7 View Post
You think he knew it was a shitty shop? likely not. Wouldn't anyone avoid a KNOWN shitty shop?

Jesus, what the hell crawled up your ass?

If you set up right, there's nothing wrong with a garage job (for the most part). I've seen numerous successful results. Including my own.
+1, I had no idea this was the outcome that was going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyZ View Post
While I do agree that this is a feasible option, especially for older cars, I struggle to agree that it is the right option for a 370z with a OEM Pearl job. You would be hard pressed to buy the gun and compressor for that much much less pearl paint. Even a garage job needs drop cloths and some kind of air filtration system at the very least or you will have some imperfections.

OP, take all the blue crap off, clean everything. Talk to a shop and remove everything in prep for paint, it will help for the total cost. That would be my suggestion.

If you need a paint recommendation, go to Cars and Coffee, find the nicest looking car and ask who his detailer is. Your hypercar detailers can give you a long list of reputable shops in the surrounding area.
The car will be getting wrapped by the best wrap shop in NJ. Don't care too much about paint now that the car will be getting some track time.

Quote:
i just watched your video about the quality issues, what the fuck were you honestly expecting? you are seriously going to bitch about orange peel and some slight masking imperfections, the problem here is you decided to be fucking cheap and get some hack bullshit on your car and except a show car paint job.
Excuse me? You pay to get a service done right. I don't care if it's 5 dollars or 5,000. If they are promising you a certain kind of finish, you better believe I'm expecting what they are promising. To top it all off, not only did I not get the finish I wanted, but they ruined other parts of my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmhossain View Post
I'm curious as to how much this cost you initially. When I was pretty young, I had a car painted at Maaco and it was worse than this. Lesson learned there. I wouldn't have expected much better from plastidipping a car no matter who does it. Now what really sucks is to what happened to the paint when removed. Thats what I would be freaking out about.
I was supposed to be "sponsored" by them and they gave me a price which is about half of what a wrap job would cost.. what a great sponsor! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
A stupid suggestion crawled up my ass. When I hear "shoot it in your garage and wet sand for days" - it makes no fucking sense. Is wet sanding supposed to take out hair, insects, and other random trash that ends up in the paint? Wet sanding will eliminate orange peel, thats it. Then you will still need to polish. Good luck polishing that turd. A good paint job requires MINIMAL color sanding. Besides the fact that the costs of good HVLP guns, good paint & supplies, a filtration system, etc... all of that will add up REAL quick. So the bottom line is you have no fucking clue what you are talking about.

I'm not trying to stir up shit here, but suggesting dude shoot it in a home garage is a terrible idea. I wont even get into the neighbors and what they will think when you start blowing overspray out of your garage.

Terrible idea.

ps: OP never mentioned how much he paid. I'm guessing 2-3k. OP, care to share?
No way less than 2-3k. I did get a full refund tho. (after about 2 weeks of waiting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodameaon View Post
My favorite thing is when people say "When it goes bad I just peel it off." Yeah good luck with that. "But they showed be how easy it comes off." Sure they did on a perfect demonstration panel with enough coats on because its all setup to sell you the product.
I've seen cars get peeled off. It truly is supposed to come off seamlessly...but ONLY when the job was done RIGHT and sprayed with enough coats.

Quote:
Dipping an entire car sounds like one of the worst ideas I've heard in awhile. If I was looking to do a temporary change that doesn't look like complete dog ass I'd go with a good quality wrap job. If you desire something permanent or long-lasting, a real paint job by professionals is the only solution.

Lets review: Paint > Wrap > PlastiCrap
Again, you're not knowledgeable of what you're talking about so you don't know the possible outcomes with autoflex.

Quote:

Thank you...Seriously, thank you. You hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostyMcZface View Post
ughhhh plastidip. this is why I feel doing it right the first time pays off in the end. sad to see, but WHY pay a shop to dip your whole car? it had to have been a few grand, which is around the same price as a wrap. like others said, if you expect a body shop perfect job that looks like paint, you're gonna be disappointed. this is ricey crap. not meant to look flawless. might as well paint it however you wanted in the first place, now that you'll need it.

sure the shop is partly responsible, but you also should have done your research or gone with a higher quality route instead of the cheapest.
Price was significantly lower than wrap. I did my research...they actually did a good job on the few cars I saw. Unfortunately AFTER I endured the hell I went through, I saw the rest of the cars they ruined.

Quote:

Again - You have 0 knowledge of the product and are posting in this thread for all the wrong reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkpainter View Post
We aren't assholes for not appreciating his "warning". None of us are dumb enough to want plastidip on our cars. There is a reason this forum doesn't have a "plastidip" thread... It has a "doing it wrong" thread already.

I'm not sorry or put off that zilvia doesn't sugar coat anything. We are trying to be as straight forward as possible so it gets through peoples F'ing heads. When you STOP READ CONSIDER what we are saying, you will REALIZE we are actually helping. We aren't going to waste time dancing around the fact that stupid decisions are stupid.
You actually aren't helping. I simply posted my experience with this company so no fellow car enthusiast goes through what I did. I've posted this same exact post in other forums and the responses I've received in this forum are probably the worst and most uneducated.

Quote:
Again, he paid to have his wing repaired and they didn't even try to repair it. And ok, I can agree with the shit prep work. But did you see those runs? I'm terrible at body work but even my shit doesn't have runs like that, no matter how much I'm rushing the job. Someone who's job it is to paint cars, plasti dip or actual paint, should be capable of not having runs like that.

Wkpainter, I never asked anyone to sugar coat anythinf, maybe you should learn to read. I simply said to get the fuck over this guy choosing to use plasti dip. Look at his car. Think about the fact that he spent probably upwards of $3k on this. He didn't do it because he'said broke. He had his reasons. I've seen plenty of people choose this route because they want to do a different color/theme every year and this is more cost effective, and easier when the time to change comes, than an actual paint job. Regardless of how you feel about plasti dip, and please pay attention to the word regardless because it means your opinion is fucking irrelevant, a shop presenting themselves as professionals giving him the car back in the condition they did is unacceptable. Period.
Thank you. Just to get the wing, hood, front and rear (OEM nismo) bumpers was very expensive. I needed an alternative to wrap because wrap had a VERY long wait time before I could schedule my appointment. I waited a little less than a month for my appointment for the dip, so you can imagine how long the wait was for the wrap shop. I honestly thought that DipOne was the best of the best in terms of dip - which Is why I went there. Obivously it was a mistake.

Quote:
I recommend not doing this. If you have a project car and you're not too worried about the paint, I would buy a paint gun and learn how to paint by trial and error. Of course, I would never do this on a 370z for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theStig880 View Post
I'm really not worried about my kbb value or overall value of my car because I know I'm going to keep this thing for a very long time. With that said, I just can't justify painting(real paint) the 370z myself because I know how much hard work it is. I do not have time for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
Dips and wraps look like shit almost always lol. Also, its easy to paint in a garage if you know what you're doing. Only a non experienced person wouldn't be able to paint in a garage in a smart manner. Is it easier in a booth, well fuck yea. Common sense. But any painter can paint in a garage easy. My uncle has been a bodyman/painter for 30+ years. Have done many many many side jobs in the garage. Were not talking about joe blow repairs either, full custom paint. Kandy, pearls etc. It's not rocket science and quite simple. Just be smart about it.
Wrong. Wrap and dip sometimes (use that term loosely) look WAY better than some paint jobs I've seen. And second, I truly think you have no idea what's involved in paint because "knowing" or "seeing" your uncle do it is completely different than knowing HOW he actually does it. After 30 years, one can assume that technique comes second nature.

Quote:

Agreed. Thank you for understanding

Look guys, I like to troll as much as the next guy, but in the end, that's not the reason why I created this thread. I took my time to be as detailed as I could be so that you could see where I'm coming from and my experience with DipOne.
Picture this - You see a few cars that the shop did and they came out great. They quote you for, let's say, half of the normal cost. They promise you "showroom finish" and lift your expectations. While this was all in my head, the only negative thing I thought was "it's only X amount of dollars, and it can always come off easily." The cash price was not nearly as much as some of you think. I was not worried about that.

The point here is this:
-I paid for a service which was "guaranteeing" me certain outcomes.
-That level of service was not achieved.
-Once the paint was removed, the car was NOT returned to me in the state in which it was given to the shop. This includes several different area's of damage to the car.
-I was not aware, told, or warned that any of this would happen.
-The DIP was not the problem. The problem was the WORK that was done. If I went to a different shop and actually got it done right, 99% of you would have a completely different outlook on Dip.

In a nutshell, Dip looks great when applied right. It wasn't applied right to my car. It was a mistake going there, but who knew? Heed my warning and just stay away from dip shops all together. The car will be fixed and wrapped soon.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:01 PM   #55
KAT-PWR
Nissanaholic!

You're lying to yourself saying that you can't tell the difference between paint and dip.

Dip looks okay for a short period of time.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #56
///Maestro

Quote:
You're lying to yourself saying that you can't tell the difference between paint and dip.

Dip looks okay for a short period of time.
Then you haven't seen a properly done autoflexed car.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #57
JM216S14
Zilvia Junkie

JM216S14 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Maestro View Post
Then you haven't seen a properly done autoflexed car.
You're right none of us have, because they don't exist.....
JM216S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #58
///Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM216S14 View Post
You're right none of us have, because they don't exist.....

This forum never ceases to amaze me.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #59
economix
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
economix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Sorry about your experience and the douchers here who missed the point of the post. Thanks for the detailed explanation of issues.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #60
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm216s14 View Post
you're right none of us have, because they don't exist.....
boom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote