Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-12-2004, 12:28 AM   #151
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
tastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to tastyratz
id agree with coldfire, clearly mark the instructions that you have to be facing the knob to lessen any discrepencies. although coldfire why would you have to touch the swaybar? i used 2 jacks installing mine, one to comress the lcas and one to jack the whole car. i didnt have to pull anything off but the stock shocks... kuah make sure you print those out and include them with every order since even my dumb ass almost called to ask when i first put them in lol. now my only complaint is the brake line bracket and the rear shocks are impossible to adjust with the stock carpet on unless you butcher it. personally id prefer to be able to have a low mounted way to adjust by reaching my hand in the strut service hole there but theres no way to make due with the current included setup. id say either have it shortened somehow or include a very tall knob that requires modification of the carpet (drill a hole) and pokes through a little. nothing i cant do on my own i guess. so far so good im very pleased with everything and im a critic at everything, my complaints are merely suggestions. im glad you guys now have the boot included. i wish there was some way to make the boot stay on both sides and be a sealed unit but due to the nature of the adjustability you wouldnt really be able to do that unless you used a big mofo oversized boot with the 2 shocks having a wiper and 2 having the boot have you thought about having a wiper and a boot on both of them? that way it will always be wiped clean and with the boot covering the wiper you could have a sealed section that is protected. im from new england so i always fear the worst... this will be interesting come winter...
tastyratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2004, 12:55 AM   #152
coldfire07
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
coldfire07 will become famous soon enoughcoldfire07 will become famous soon enoughcoldfire07 will become famous soon enoughcoldfire07 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to coldfire07
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyratz
although coldfire why would you have to touch the swaybar? i used 2 jacks installing mine, one to comress the lcas and one to jack the whole car.
That's what I meant, I have no idea why I typed sway bar. Anyways, it's obvious what needs to be jacked when one is trying to install them anyways.
coldfire07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 03:23 AM   #153
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

TurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TurDz
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Sorry about the trouble some of you guys had installing the coilovers, I finally had the time tonight to write up some general instructions:

Coilover instructions
I was just browsing your instructions.

"When you move the spring perch upwards, you are compressing the spring. As the spring compresses, it exerts a force on the upper mount of the coilover. So when the weight of the car is placed on the upper mount, the weight would have to overcome the spring tension in order to compress the spring any further. "

don't you mean spring compression? Since you're moving the spring perch up?

edit: actually, your wording is just awkward. It's not really incorrect, since the spring is exerting a force to expand outward..but rewording might help a bit. good instructions overall though!

Last edited by TurDz; 09-12-2004 at 04:12 AM..
TurDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:22 PM   #154
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So far, I'm really happy with these. Granted, they've only been on like three days, but they're a world of difference from my Buddy Clubs. I love my cornering speeds with these.

Now, if only I could get my Sprint in so I can really push it...
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 05:51 PM   #155
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

alkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to alkemyst
Just an update..I was originally at 12/12 settings (installed last week)...but somehow going back down to 5/5 is a lot better than it was the first day. 12/12 is great for smooth roads....no motion in the car at all...however, take some ruts and it gets a little beyond the stock feel....not bad really, but not that good either.

I am at 5/5 and I may drop the rear to 4 (with these settings 15 is stiffest, 1 is softest)...night and day difference. Now 5/5 is giving up some for a very smooth turn, however; daily driving has improved a lot. I still get a little too much stiffness from the rear than ideal on day to day things, but you really can't soften the rear more without giving up balance. Once I move to a lighter setting in the rear it may improve more. It's definitely not bad though and way better than the ups and downs of stock.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:11 PM   #156
KOUKI KA-T
Zilvia FREAK!

KOUKI KA-T is on a distinguished road
I've been running mine on 4 front and rear for months now, I thought it was crazy that people were saying their's were too bouncy on low settings and cranked them way up...
Old 11-23-2004, 12:33 AM   #157
Stock-S13
BANNED

Stock-S13 can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastyratz
now my only complaint is the brake line bracket and the rear shocks are impossible to adjust with the stock carpet on unless you butcher it. personally id prefer to be able to have a low mounted way to adjust by reaching my hand in the strut service hole there but theres no way to make due with the current included setup. id say either have it shortened somehow or include a very tall knob that requires modification of the carpet (drill a hole) and pokes through a little. nothing i cant do on my own i guess.

Word I tore up my Blue interior trying to get to the rear mounts(got a nice cut too), but hell it was worth it. Yeah i just ended up ziptieing my SS lines up front but now for some reason i thikn my pedal feels mushy, could position having anything to do with brake pressure?

In either way, KTS Coils rock so much!!! I was driving like an idiot today and was completley IN LOVE with my car again!!

ahh Relentless ......
Stock-S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:06 PM   #158
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

mr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to mr_240sx Send a message via MSN to mr_240sx
s13

would the kts coil-overs be stiff enough for drifting?
how low can you lower your s13 with the kts?
mr_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 08:27 PM   #159
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

alkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to alkemyst
it's an 8/6 kg/mm combo equal to HE's.

do you actually drift?

You can go lower than you can drive them....
Old 11-24-2004, 11:26 PM   #160
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

mr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to mr_240sx Send a message via MSN to mr_240sx
ok tks for the info. by the way, i do drift.
mr_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 09:43 AM   #161
Johny5
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johny5
why is it you guys had trouble installing these things? mine went on very flawlessly. coldfire07 was there, he knows. adjusting the fronts, you guys actually remove your spindles and everything? i adjust my fronts with the freaking wheels in the car, haha. loosen both collars that surround the piece that grabs the knuckle. then use the collars that have the spring tensioned to turn it. the collars tensioning the spring won't move any, simply because you've doubled them up so tight that the force of them against each other won't allow them to move. height adjustment takes 5 minutes top in front. still haven't figured out the almighty trick to the rear though...

all in all, you guys came out with a pretty kickass suspension deal here. i installed mine with a lot of parts that were supposed to all make a big difference, yours made the biggest.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:04 AM   #162
sLiDewAys
Nissanaholic!

sLiDewAys is an unknown quantity at this point
does it honestly matter, i mean sorry if it seems like i dissagree with everyone. but what ever happened to the days of just " STFU and drift" Again not directed to anyone. I hear people and see these forums posts about which is beter. I'd have to say either way its better than using blown monroe struts and cut prings./ and PPL use to actually do that.. dunno why? lol thats just too ghetto.

but back to my point, it seems like everyone wants to be ""DIFFERENT" just go for the best bang for your buckm i use tein he cuz i got mine for 1100 shipped over a year ago. not becasue d1 drivers used them or becasue others prefered. i just got a good price and needed something fully adjustable.
sLiDewAys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:56 AM   #163
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

tastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to behold
ive had a good amount of time on these and so far so good. they seem to be holding up well on new england roads the way I drive. They havent had alot of chance to see nasty snow yet so we will see how they handle in the weather. very light surface rust showed up on the inside of the mount brackets for me but it wiped off with my fingers and was fine so nothing of it. Ill probabbly post a continued review later on after ive had more time on these but all my friends compliment on my suspension in this car it does very well. slideways: specs and quality of a part matter alot and it does matter what you get, it just depends on the persons needs. id say these are awesome bang for the buck :-)
Old 12-03-2004, 02:12 PM   #164
Stock-S13
BANNED

Stock-S13 can only hope to improve
Dude you either have tiny ass hands and arms OR your car isn't low enough seriously im not huge by any means but when i was buying sockets for my now 19mm spinlde bolt, i couldn't even fit my hands in there (between fender and tire at full lock)

In either case, what hieght does everyone have their car set around at? I have 22 inches all around and my rear still seems a bit high, but the front is scraping.

Edit; from top of fender to floor w/ tape measure.

Werd, to the great product SPL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny5
why is it you guys had trouble installing these things? mine went on very flawlessly. coldfire07 was there, he knows. adjusting the fronts, you guys actually remove your spindles and everything? i adjust my fronts with the freaking wheels in the car, haha. loosen both collars that surround the piece that grabs the knuckle. then use the collars that have the spring tensioned to turn it. the collars tensioning the spring won't move any, simply because you've doubled them up so tight that the force of them against each other won't allow them to move. height adjustment takes 5 minutes top in front. still haven't figured out the almighty trick to the rear though...

all in all, you guys came out with a pretty kickass suspension deal here. i installed mine with a lot of parts that were supposed to all make a big difference, yours made the biggest.
Stock-S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 08:31 AM   #165
Johny5
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Johny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfectionJohny5 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Johny5
lol, the car has to be lifted up for you to do this. low offset wheels make it easy too i just can't stand removing my wheels 2-3 times each adjustment, so POINTLESS.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:19 AM   #166
dops13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
dops13 is just really nicedops13 is just really nicedops13 is just really nicedops13 is just really nicedops13 is just really nicedops13 is just really nicedops13 is just really nicedops13 is just really nicedops13 is just really nicedops13 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I jus got mine SPL KTS coilovers yesterday. I'm going to put them on today. I'll keep u guys updated. I was jus wondering if anyone here considered putting rubber boots on the rear shocks? Or does it even matter?
dops13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 05:38 AM   #167
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

actually yes if you check out earlier in the thread i made a thing about boots for the shocks. while they are off id say it would be a good idea for you to put some boots on the shocks if possible. its not a big deal to have to have them but for longevity its a good idea for them to be there, especially if your car sees any kind of weather. i couldnt find boots that fit when i first put everything on but now ive seen them everywhere. go for it.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:12 PM   #168
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

Update: these coilovers didnt hold up too well over the winter months. The front camber plate bolts are rusted BAAAAAD I mean bad. no biggie though they are just allen head screws. as far as the adjustment screws they have on the bottom they froze up completely. the rear ones did the same and one of the knobs actually sheared off inside the shock. the main body and piston havent rusted at all, but the chrome plated mounts have started to show through a bit with some light rust, no issue yet but possibly in the future after some time. These can be a bit loud in the bitter cold as well. I called spl about this however and they are shipping me 4 new shocks. no hassle, no complaints. shipped right away... the same great spl service you would expect. no problems if everything goes smooth but just to fyi people of my experience with these, and with them :-) Kuah is being great with this so far!

as a sidenote from my experience I would highly suggest preventative measures... especially if your from a colder climate. The new shocks when they arrive will get some sort of sealing treatment to protect them definitely, dunno maybe ill cover the bottom with silicone sealant or something. I have heard of people getting coilovers with teflon coated threading... that would be GREAT!!! anyone know if theres something I can get like a teflon sealing coating in a can (not like plumbers goop, something that will hold up. I probabbly will use stainless bolts for the camber plates too.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:47 PM   #169
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
^^^

good info man. i'm looking at getting a set; and like you, i also have to deal with snowy winters and salty roads.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:22 PM   #170
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
i'd say give them a good rubdown w/ some silicon spray or WD40...just coat them up all slick and greasy before you put them in...

any petrol based stuff will protect from moisture damage

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
not"let's make our car look like a pile of shit and dead babies"
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:08 PM   #171
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainevent212
i'd say give them a good rubdown w/ some silicon spray or WD40...just coat them up all slick and greasy before you put them in...

any petrol based stuff will protect from moisture damage

But won't that attract a decent amount of dust and dirt?

I had my coilovers over the winter and I noticed some surface rust on the adjustment screws. But my case is not as bad as your since it only snowed heavy twice during that winter.
SimpleS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #172
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
if you guys move to texas you wont have to worry about snow.

ever.

well... mostly never.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:27 PM   #173
blitz180
Zilvia Member

blitz180 is making his/her stupidity well-knownblitz180 is making his/her stupidity well-knownblitz180 is making his/her stupidity well-knownblitz180 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via ICQ to blitz180 Send a message via AIM to blitz180
when we are talking about cold winters obviously it's not the south, but i live in north eastern ky and we get a few good snows a year.... is this the winter you were talking about... or did you mean like NY, CO, WA style winters?
blitz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:08 AM   #174
Project D
Zilvia Member

Project D is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Project D
Yeah, A CO style winter is just murder on any compnent basically. I have Ground COntrols on my other car and they have held up for a couple of years now with no problems. Just rubbed them down with some WD-40 before install and they were great. ALso in the process of finding suspension for my S13 and want something that will last in the bad winter of the Rockies. KY isnt all that bad in the winter. Been to Louisville when it has snowed and the thing to watch for is people driving. They don't know how to drive in the snow. Also been to Dallas in similar conditions and that was intense. White knuckle to the Extreme!
Project D is offline   Reply With Quote