Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #8941
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by g man View Post
?????????????
I don't have a clue personally, but what would make you consider it? Availability or something else?

Edit: Upon looking at pictures it appears it may fit work, but also consider this chart:
http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/ti...es-thread.html

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2011, 07:40 AM   #8942
g man
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
g man is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I don't have a clue personally, but what would make you consider it? Availability or something else?

Edit: Upon looking at pictures it appears it may fit work, but also consider this chart:
The Brakes Thread - Nissan 240SX Forums
i was wondering because i am able to get them for almost nothing... it looks almost identical to the stock, iv did some research not much tho.. just wondering if its been done before

thanks for replying, i will prob try it out an see how it fits
g man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #8943
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by g man View Post
i was wondering because i am able to get them for almost nothing... it looks almost identical to the stock, iv did some research not much tho.. just wondering if its been done before

thanks for replying, i will prob try it out an see how it fits
The thing that would make me potentially shy away is the diaphram setup with it, as it seems to be setup for Z brakes, not so much 240 ones. I'd personally stay with the stock one or the Z32 one just as they are proven, but if you can get it for free, it's not a hard job to change and or to find out.

Another thing I'd look into is the split point/knee point proportioning of the master cylinder either.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 12-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #8944
Vitzio240sx
Leaky Injector

Vitzio240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
what are the torque specs for the bolts that bolt the driveshaft to the differential? what is the torque spec for the axles/half shafts? and of the two bolts that attach the differential to the subframe???? how tight should it be? thanks!!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #8945
nismoracingsx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
nismoracingsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Seriously? Download a fsm..your question just sounds like laziness..
Manuals > USDM Cars - Nissan 240SX Performance Tuning
Old 12-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #8946
inRot8ion
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
inRot8ion is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Trunk key lock all of a sudden doesnt want to work for my s13 hatch. It spins 160 degrees going left and right but still doesnt want to open it. Anyone fix this problem?

Im currently searching on google but thought id post this while i look. So far ive came up with nothing but answers about the latch near the driver seat problem. Ill post an answer once i figure how to fix it.
inRot8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #8947
Wake
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (8)
Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
LOL it only spins 160 degrees?
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #8948
Jonathong
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
Jonathong is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Will 17x9.5 +12 offset and 225/40 series tires work with no promblems? I have rolled fenders and have camber bolts and coilovers to adjust the camber. How much should I camber to have everything fit fine with no problems? This is for the front of my s14, my rear should be fine, the fenders are rolled with a slight pull and it cambers just a little.
Jonathong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #8949
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
^ yes it will work but it all depends on your ride height
Old 12-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #8950
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
Irresistible is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathong View Post
Will 17x9.5 +12 offset and 225/40 series tires work with no promblems? I have rolled fenders and have camber bolts and coilovers to adjust the camber. How much should I camber to have everything fit fine with no problems? This is for the front of my s14, my rear should be fine, the fenders are rolled with a slight pull and it cambers just a little.
You'll be fine with like -3*ish I would say... Depends on ride height as well, as stated above.

AND a question of my own!

Did anyone else have problems with putting their stock suspension back on their S14 after being lowered? I was able to get the rear on, but the front does not want to go on. The knuckle is too close to the frame (where it would be when lowered) for me to be able to bolt it up to the stock strut... I've tried compressing the strut with another jack but it doesn't go right. Any tricks?

Last edited by Irresistible; 12-23-2011 at 06:52 PM..
Irresistible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #8951
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JaredP is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^^^loosen off the tension rod, lower control arm, and swaybar endlinks. it'll allow the assembly to swing down to bolt up to the stock strut.

my turn! now i have searched, maybe not very well as from what i hear its quite a common thing to do...s14 lca's on s13. whats all needed? i know the balljoint taper is different, but i dont want to change knuckles...so s13 balljoint? is there a moog crossover part or part number? aside from that, i've read a few people complaining about too much camber (like sideways wheel...). i cant see the extra length being that big a deal?
JaredP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #8952
matts13vert
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (31)
matts13vert is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
^^ the extra length will give you 1* more of - camber.
You will need to swap the 14 ball joint for 13 ball joint.
crossover# idk
matts13vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #8953
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

thanks man, i'll look into a crossover part (unless someone has somehting??)

edit: just googled, moog has a p/n for the s13 ball joint itself, should be able to get it at any part store
Old 12-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #8954
Jonathong
Nissanaholic!

another quick questions when I camber the fronts will it be rubbing or hitting the coils? Sorry Im new to all this suspension stuff
Old 12-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #8955
JaredP
Zilvia Junkie

no because its cambered by the top of the coilover mount, so the coil leans with the wheel
Old 12-24-2011, 01:55 AM   #8956
Jonathong
Nissanaholic!

another question, sorry for so many questions. But is it bad to use my camber bolts with my coilovers? It came with the car and I dont have the stock bolts for the fronts.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:56 AM   #8957
matts13vert
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (31)
matts13vert is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
I havent had any issues and I've had mine on for 2+ years.
I'm on PBM pro coils with cam bolts and s14 control arms which give me a total of -5*

Also to your previous question.. if you adjust camber through the camber plate you dont change the clearance between the wheel and the coil, BUT when you adjust through the camber bolt you do change the clearance.. so make sure you have room to mess around with.
matts13vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #8958
Krewlkid
Zilvia Junkie

Krewlkid is an unknown quantity at this point
S13 hubs 30mm
S14 hubs 32mm

So if I have s13 spindle with s14 hubs the obviously a 2mm difference, so what about having s13 bearing put into the s14 hubs. Presto? No?

Just looking for a straight answer. All research lead me to kids running s14 spindle, which I DO NOT have
Krewlkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #8959
garofalory
Leaky Injector

garofalory is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm about to head off to college, and have about 7g saved up...I'm thinking of getting either a 240z and swap a sr20det in it...or getting a fresh 97-98 kouki and rebuilding bottom to top and strapping a turbo on it...on top of suspension, etc... Which one do you guys think will be the most bang for my buck AND won't cost me tens of thousands... (Want a Daily and I live in CA so no sr in the kouki :/ )
Old 12-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #8960
JKL1031
Zilvia Junkie

JKL1031 is an unknown quantity at this point
Neither, buy you something nice and dependable for college unless u find a kouki that is all original with few miles.

Thermostats: do theyfully open at their rated temps, or BEGIN to open at the rated temps?? I have a 170 degree andmy engine warmsslowly. I also have TINY holes (4) about the size of the jiggle valve in init as well. Is it worth it going to a 180?
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:29 AM   #8961
Krewlkid
Zilvia Junkie

Krewlkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKL1031 View Post
Thermostats: do theyfully open at their rated temps, or BEGIN to open at the rated temps?? I have a 170 degree andmy engine warmsslowly. I also have TINY holes (4) about the size of the jiggle valve in init as well. Is it worth it going to a 180?
Throw it in a cup of water and in the Microwave with and over thermomiter, all depends, my mosimoto open little by little and get really big at temp, but my fail safe stays closed longer
Krewlkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:00 AM   #8962
shaddix

Trader Rating: (0)
shaddix is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am SOOOOOOOOO happy this forum has a thread like this!!!!!!!! I am going to be posting on this forum a lot!

First question:
I searched around on here and found that first upgrade for a stock 240 would be coilovers. I searched some more and saw that stance offers best bang/buck as of mid-2010. (though I looked at some of these and it seems there's many different kind of stance coilovers and I really do not know the difference... do I need 12 way adjustability? wtf is that....)

Is this still the case as of 12/25/2011? Or is there some other brand that would be better.

My 95 240sx with 260k(!) miles on it has no specific purpose in mind, I just want to upgrade it overall.

Thank you!
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #8963
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
Irresistible is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by garofalory View Post
I'm about to head off to college, and have about 7g saved up...I'm thinking of getting either a 240z and swap a sr20det in it...or getting a fresh 97-98 kouki and rebuilding bottom to top and strapping a turbo on it...on top of suspension, etc... Which one do you guys think will be the most bang for my buck AND won't cost me tens of thousands... (Want a Daily and I live in CA so no sr in the kouki :/ )
Stock kouki. Lower it, wheels, possibly aero, and call it a day. Keep it reliable for college so you don't need to worry about fixing stupid stuff. Use the rest of your money for school payments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
I am SOOOOOOOOO happy this forum has a thread like this!!!!!!!! I am going to be posting on this forum a lot!

First question:
I searched around on here and found that first upgrade for a stock 240 would be coilovers. I searched some more and saw that stance offers best bang/buck as of mid-2010. (though I looked at some of these and it seems there's many different kind of stance coilovers and I really do not know the difference... do I need 12 way adjustability? wtf is that....)

Is this still the case as of 12/25/2011? Or is there some other brand that would be better.

My 95 240sx with 260k(!) miles on it has no specific purpose in mind, I just want to upgrade it overall.

Thank you!
STANCE, PBM, even Fortune Auto all make good coils. I personally won't run anything other than STANCE, but that's also because they're local to me.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:14 AM   #8964
Jonathong
Nissanaholic!

For those lowered pretty low or even slammed. What is the setting on your coils is it full soft? full stiff? in between or what?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #8965
nismoracingsx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (32)
nismoracingsx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
For those lowered pretty low or even slammed. What is the setting on your coils is it full soft? full stiff? in between or what?

Full soft will have you bouncing on dips and bumps.
Full stiff will have a rather teeth chattering effect with some coils.
On my fortune autos (though i'm not slammed, only tucking a little tire), I have like 12-15 clicks, which is almost halfway.

Find a setting that you find comfortable enough on the street..
Old 12-25-2011, 07:59 AM   #8966
Almosttt
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Almosttt is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is the lower harness from a manual obdII zenki the same as the one on a manual kouki?
Almosttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #8967
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewlkid View Post
S13 hubs 30mm
S14 hubs 32mm

So if I have s13 spindle with s14 hubs the obviously a 2mm difference, so what about having s13 bearing put into the s14 hubs. Presto? No?

Just looking for a straight answer. All research lead me to kids running s14 spindle, which I DO NOT have
You'll need the S14 spindle, or to have yours machined to accept the larger bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by garofalory View Post
What you do is go buy a 94 Altima for 1000 bucks and use it to get back and forth to class. Then once you graduate you'll have even more cash saved up, and a degree, to start playing with the car. But that's just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKL1031 View Post
They usually open a few * before, but not fully. The drilled holes aren't going to help with warmup either.

Quote:

For street driving it's all going to depend on the rest of what you have. I truthfully think the best 'ride' is on the lower end of adjustment (as truthfully there is very little difference/no difference until you go 3-4 clicks each way) and to ensure the springs have no preload on them.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #8968
inRot8ion
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
inRot8ion is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^ you skipped my question.

Trunk key lock all of a sudden doesnt want to work for my s13 hatch. It spins 160 degrees going left and right but still doesnt want to open it. Anyone fix this problem?
inRot8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:43 PM   #8969
doomviillain
Zilvia Junkie

doomviillain is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to doomviillain
I had an oil and water mix in my SR now I want to flush it all out.

Any tips on whats the greatest way to clean all this stuff out my motor?

I've went through 2 oil changes already and its still a bit milky and its costing me money.
Your argument is invalid.
doomviillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #8970
zombiewolf513
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513 zombiewolf513
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
auto-rx.com maybe
zombiewolf513 is offline   Reply With Quote