Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 02-15-2003, 08:51 PM   #1
crioten
"buddy jesus"

Trader Rating: (0)
crioten is making a name for him/her selfcrioten is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to crioten
Unhappy getting started in auto-x (searched)

on april 4 i am going to take a class on auto-x.... please dont flame me, im trying to find out info on what type of things i need to do to participate in regular comp. do i need to have a licence to do it? do i have to decide what class i should compete in before entering, or will they tell me? is there a minimum age, b/c im 17...? just curious about anything i need to do in advance before starting out. it looks like great fun, and i am really interested in getting involved in the sport. any information at all would be great. i searched, but found no real answers, maybe this could be part of the FAQ section?

thanks
glen
I'd rather take the bus with a bus-full of AIDS infected naked rape convicts than drive a VW.
crioten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2003, 08:59 PM   #2
tnord
Nissanaholic!

tnord is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...threadid=22319
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...threadid=22289
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.p...threadid=22093
http://my.execpc.com/~mcscc/
http://www.nasaracing.net/
http://www.scca.org/

just show up with a car in good working order and a good attitude and they'll take care of the rest.

Last edited by tnord; 02-15-2003 at 09:03 PM..
tnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 09:04 PM   #3
crioten
"buddy jesus"

crioten is making a name for him/her selfcrioten is making a name for him/her self
thanks a bunch, and dam, im surprised you of all people didnt flame j/k
I'd rather take the bus with a bus-full of AIDS infected naked rape convicts than drive a VW.
Old 02-15-2003, 09:07 PM   #4
96SEChick
Nissanaholic!

96SEChick is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the wonderful land of auto-x! Taking a class is a great idea--especially if you are new to the sport. And, since you are only 17 (not bashing your age--read on)--what you learn about controlling your car during that class will help you a lot in every-day driving on normal roads in traffic. This is only my belief and opinion, of course. But hopefully it will be reality!

Quote:
do i need to have a licence to do it?
No. As long as you have a valid driver's license to show them (if they even ask for it), you are fine. You don't need a racing license to auto-x. If you were to be on the track at the same time with other cars (such as a "high speed touring" event for example), you would probably have to get a racing license. But, not with auto-x. They make it very simple and inexpensive to participate.

Quote:
do i have to decide what class i should compete in before entering, or will they tell me?
More than likely, you will be G-Stock if your 240SX is stock. They changed the stock 240SX from E-Stock to G-Stock in our region last year and it's probably the same nationwide. The G in G-Stock doesn't mean anything significant, if it even means anything at all. If you're not sure what class you'll run, ask the officials at the event and they will find out for you.

Quote:
is there a minimum age, b/c im 17...?
Since you are under 18, you may have to have one of your parents sign a waiver stating they approve of you to be at the event and hold no liability if something happens. You should call your local SCCA club and find out what the coordinators/officials say. Since you have a valid driver's license, I don't see a problem, but since you are still under 18, you are probably still considered a minor in Missouri, and may have to go through a few extra steps w/ parental consent stuff in order to participate and race.
'00 WS6 Trans Am Bright Red 6-speedFOR SALE - only 29k miles, stock, fully loaded, only $23,999 (NADA $26300)

Green Country Motorsports
Northeastern Oklahoma SCCA
96SEChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 07:34 AM   #5
crioten
"buddy jesus"

thanks a bunch, I really appreciate all the information you have given me. I cant wait to get started.

glen
Old 02-16-2003, 09:27 AM   #6
crioten
"buddy jesus"

just a funny thought, i think i will get my dad to come along to the course as well, so he can finaly have a reason to thrash his z3...good father-sun bonding
Old 02-16-2003, 10:31 AM   #7
96SEChick
Nissanaholic!

96SEChick is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by crioten
just a funny thought, i think i will get my dad to come along to the course as well, so he can finaly have a reason to thrash his z3...good father-sun bonding
Now that sounds like fun!! I've never seen a Z3 on the track before.
'00 WS6 Trans Am Bright Red 6-speedFOR SALE - only 29k miles, stock, fully loaded, only $23,999 (NADA $26300)

Green Country Motorsports
Northeastern Oklahoma SCCA
96SEChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 03:29 AM   #8
gabossie
Zilvia Junkie

gabossie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by crioten
thanks a bunch, and dam, im surprised you of all people didnt flame j/k
People tend to flame less when you are actually interested in real motorsports, not just looking pimp and racing the Civic at high school. But yeah, auto-x is great, I'm still a bigginer, then again I could have been doing it for 10 years and there would still be more to learn. Just go with a good attitude as most of the poeple at the SCCA events are pretty laid back and really like newbies, they are always willing to help u out. And you don't need a license, but it usually costs less if you have an SCCA licnense, assuming this is an SCCA event. Until you are 26 you can get the Spead Freaks license for only $30 and it saves you a bundle, I know it has me. I only pay $10 every time I race instead of $30. Have fun, and I garuntee you will be hooked within the first few min.

If ignorance is bliss, then you, my friend, are having an orgasm as we speak.

Quote:
If something breaks, it needed replacing anyway -chickenmanq
Todays Faith in Human Kind:Low
gabossie is offline   Reply With Quote