Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-17-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
dmad
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (23)
dmad is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Experience Importing 25+ year old Cars with GTR Garage!

I'm sure you all have seen the internet buzzing with tons of people wanting to get in on all the vehicles that just became eligible for import into the US this year. I know the Skylines get most of the attention here but let's not forget about the Laurels, Cefiros, Chasers, RX-7's, and countless other cars that are now a possibility here in the USA. I wanted to start a thread that documents my experience importing my 1986 Toyota Corolla Levin with Kunio from GTR-Garage. First off I KNOW this isn't a Nissan vehicle but I thought a thread like this would be useful for other people who are in the beginning stages or just have general questions about the entire process.

I'm sure a lot of you already know about GTR-Garage or have dealt with Kunio in some way or another. I approached him about a month ago after buying some items from Yahoo Japan Auctions in regards to importing a Nissan Laurel. I discussed my budget with him and he IMMEDIATELY sent me a couple options as well as some other vehicles to gauge what exactly I was looking for. I would search the auctions myself day to day and Kunio continued sending me cars that came up in my price range. A couple weeks went by and nothing really was coming up that caught my eye until Kunio sent me a Run Free AE86 that I immediately thought "This will work". After several days of back and forth with Kunio he had the details of the car sent to me as well as a VERY EASY to understand description of all fees and shipping costs involved to safely transport the car to my nearest port. After arranging the deposit and discussing my maximum bid price Kunio took over from there. I received an email at around 2:30 in the morning with the title "GOOD NEWS". So here it is....

I can't believe this car will actually be sitting in my garage in the next month or two. Because it is a 1986 model year it is eligible for IMMEDIATE import.

In about a week's time Kunio will have this car sitting at his lot and will perform an extensive exam about the vehicles condition as well as sending lots of pictures and video documenting everything you want to know about your new vehicle!

The BEST PART ABOUT ALL OF THIS is that Kunio can arrange just about any modifications you have ever dreamed about while the car is in his possession before it leaves Japan. He has access to new and used parts that make this entire process even that much cooler. If that's not enough you can even arrange to drive your new car on their local track in Japan before being shipped back!!!

The experience so far has been painless and the communication and customer service I have received from Kunio is top notch. I will continue to update everyone on the status of my new ride as well as posting lots of pictures for everyone!

For anyone hesitant about this entire process make sure you get in touch with Kunio at GTR-Garage!
dmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 12:19 AM   #2
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mad-ass
Seems promising! In for the updates when the car arrives, and your final review.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:32 AM   #3
s14kkouki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
s14kkouki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
So was this car was sold from the get go? I saw it in their page for sale but you are saying he actually got this car just for you?
s14kkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:36 AM   #4
dmad
Zilvia Addict

No this car was not sold from the get go. I was always in the market for a Laurel or a Cefiro. Kunio found this and showed me and I had to have it! These cars are getting swiped up left and right when they are available and from what I have seen they do NOT last long.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:38 AM   #5
s14kkouki
Zilvia Junkie

Ok cool was a little confused there. Good luck with the car man. Seems promising.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:45 AM   #6
dmad
Zilvia Addict

Thanks-cant wait!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:03 AM   #7
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

mad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud ofmad-ass has much to be proud of
My friend brought back a 84 Levin in 2011 with him when he changed duty stations from Japan to Utah. From what I understood then was that it just legalized to bring back the cars from Japan, but still had hard time actually registering it.

^This was Oct. 2011.

Please tell us the process of registering if there are any special ways of doing it. I'm sure it'll go down the books for sure.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:20 AM   #8
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Oh hell yeah!

Congratulations!

How do you feel about test drives?
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:30 AM   #9
dmad
Zilvia Addict

Mad-ass-what is your friend's name??? I spent 12 years in Misawa, Japan and ended up moving to Hill back in 2004 (around that time).

Alex-Thanks man! You know you are welcome anytime to come through!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #10
nicsoroka

Trader Rating: (0)
nicsoroka is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's a beautiful car you have coming. It's really a great thing when u receive an email with the title on a imported car lol no more Grey market bs. Anyway good luck to you op hope you enjoy your new ride.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
nicsoroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #11
Ilya
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Ilya is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I am excited to see what's going to happen to the price of a 240sx with an sr20 swap. Jokers want 6-7k for their cars, well now I can pay the same and get a real silvia, not a 240sx with a Silvia engine with mismatched odometer readings. With 40-100k miles/km
Ilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
nicsoroka

nicsoroka is an unknown quantity at this point
And it's straight from the factory so you don't have to worry about the ghetto rigging that goes into people's prized sr swaps lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
nicsoroka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #13
Munki
Zilvia Member

Munki is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been thinking about getting either a 180sx, ae86 hatch or an fc. Might have to look into these guys!

Fiber Concepts
Carbon Fiber and Plastic Fabrication.
(657)-204-6237
Munki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #14
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-ass View Post
My friend brought back a 84 Levin in 2011 with him when he changed duty stations from Japan to Utah. From what I understood then was that it just legalized to bring back the cars from Japan, but still had hard time actually registering it.

^This was Oct. 2011.

Please tell us the process of registering if there are any special ways of doing it. I'm sure it'll go down the books for sure.
Didnt know Kaliko brought his 86 back...

OP anyways, the better question is, how much did you pay for this 86?

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
I am excited to see what's going to happen to the price of a 240sx with an sr20 swap. Jokers want 6-7k for their cars, well now I can pay the same and get a real silvia, not a 240sx with a Silvia engine with mismatched odometer readings. With 40-100k miles/km
You really think you're gonna get a Silvia for less than $10K? Plus, you make it sound like cars in Japan as not as beat as the cars in the states. Its the same shit over there. Finding one thats not abused/rusted to hell is hard.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #16
Taniguchi_Is_#1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
Taniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfectionTaniguchi_Is_#1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^^ GTR-Garage listed that levin at $9,900 landed in the states.
Taniguchi_Is_#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
GTR-Garage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Pricing is a bit inflated for the '89 Nissans that everyone wants. However, when 1990 rolls around there will be much better availability so pricing will come back down. There's basically no inflation on the AE86 because they've qualified for the federal exemptions for some time now.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #18
Munki
Zilvia Member

Munki is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Garage View Post
Pricing is a bit inflated for the '89 Nissans that everyone wants. However, when 1990 rolls around there will be much better availability so pricing will come back down. There's basically no inflation on the AE86 because they've qualified for the federal exemptions for some time now.

PM me a price on a ae86 hatch! I don't care if the body isn't in the best shape, im just looking for something that runs good and has super clean interior!

Fiber Concepts
Carbon Fiber and Plastic Fabrication.
(657)-204-6237
Munki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #19
dmad
Zilvia Addict

flipprayzn240sx hit it right on the money! I lived in Japan for 12 years and they do have there fair share of "BEAT CARS" floating around.

fliprayzin240sx Quote:

You really think you're gonna get a Silvia for less than $10K? Plus, you make it sound like cars in Japan as not as beat as the cars in the states. Its the same shit over there. Finding one thats not abused/rusted to hell is hard.

I won't go into the details of the price I paid for this but what I can say is that Kunio is offering this service at a HELL OF A DEAL. The entire process of transporting a vehicle back and forth allover Japan and delivering to the port is not cheap-not to mention import/export fees, origin fees, and documents. I've been in the logistics industry for about 10 years and I deal with ocean freight shipments on a daily basis-I can tell you straight up with all honesty that he is doing his best to keep these costs at a minimum. On top of this the customer service is top notch which goes along way-especially in this industry!
Old 01-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #20
mad-ass
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Didnt know Kaliko brought his 86 back...
Yup, He did bring it back...not sure if he still got it or not though.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:37 PM   #21
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
GTR-Garage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad View Post
flipprayzn240sx hit it right on the money! I lived in Japan for 12 years and they do have there fair share of "BEAT CARS" floating around.

fliprayzin240sx Quote:

I won't go into the details of the price I paid for this but what I can say is that Kunio is offering this service at a HELL OF A DEAL. The entire process of transporting a vehicle back and forth allover Japan and delivering to the port is not cheap-not to mention import/export fees, origin fees, and documents. I've been in the logistics industry for about 10 years and I deal with ocean freight shipments on a daily basis-I can tell you straight up with all honesty that he is doing his best to keep these costs at a minimum. On top of this the customer service is top notch which goes along way-especially in this industry!
It sounds like we need to raise our prices...
Old 02-04-2014, 10:28 PM   #22
dmad
Zilvia Addict

Just wanted to update this thread. I have been going back and forth with Kunio over the last two weeks about some additional parts I'd like to pick up for the AE86. I'll keep it a secret for now but I picked up a new set of shoes and some interior goods to keep everything looking healthy! Kunio offered me a great discounted price and I couldn't resist.

It's nice that GTR Garage can not only help you import a car but they're also familiar with the aftermarket/tuning side of things which is a big plus in my book. More to come for sure!
Old 02-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #23
I<3BEWBZ
Zilvia Member

I<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the roughI<3BEWBZ is a jewel in the rough
Awesome! I saw that car for sale, wish I had the cash to bring it over.

I had a JDM 1985 Levin Coupe couple years ago, it was an awesome car. I regret selling it all the time.
I<3BEWBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #24
Zbythegods
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
Zbythegods is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
This is awesome, I'm very happy for you. Once I get some extra cash I'm definitely going to get my self a beautiful r32 or an amazing FC
Zbythegods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #25
dmad
Zilvia Addict

I'm not on Ziliva often at all anymore but wanted to keep this thread going with an update. After a lot of waiting and sourcing more parts the car is finally on the water en route to the US. Here is a pic of the cars prior to being loaded. The hideous yellow/black vehicle was a last minute pickup! I've never been so excited to unload a 40' container before.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #26
va240dude
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (161)
va240dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 161 reviews
Nice man, hope everything works out smoothly!
va240dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:15 PM   #27
Rusker
Zilvia Junkie

Rusker is on a distinguished road
I can't wait to see how this turns out. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #28
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
What happened to the wheels? You going with a different set?
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:55 AM   #29
dtyjtyjkj

dtyjtyjkj is an unknown quantity at this point
So was this car was sold from the get go?
dtyjtyjkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:26 AM   #30
s14kkouki
Zilvia Junkie

August hurry up.